Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,297 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Why APC Lost In Rivers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why APC Lost In Rivers (33485 Views)

"What Do You Think Is The Most Important Quality In A Leader And Why?" - APC / Retired Army Officers: We Served In States Where APC Lost To PDP, Vow To Fight S / Rotimi Amechi:the Only Reason Why Apc Lost Rivers Rerun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why APC Lost In Rivers by zik4ever: 11:28pm On Mar 25, 2016
Hopes by the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State, to clinch some seats in the just concluded state and national assemblies polls, has turned out catastrophic for the party.

So far, the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state, has been declared winner in eleven state constituencies namely; Port Harcourt Akuku Toru 1, Omuma, Degema, Ahoada East 1, Ahaoda East 2, Emohua, Akuku – Toru 2, Obio- Akpor 1, Obio-Akpor 2 and Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni. The APC secured the Opobo constituency.

The election that had generated so much tension in the state was characterized by widespread violence, diversion of electoral materials and intimidation. Hence, the decision of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to suspend polls in: Khana, Bonny, Gokana, Andoni, Tai, Eleme, Etche and Asari-Toru local government areas.

The rerun elections was necessitated by a Court of Appeal judgment which nullified the 22 House of Assembly, 12 House of Representatives and 3 senatorial seats won by the PDP in the March and April 2015 general election, following a petition by the APC challenging the results declared by INEC.

In the run-up to the elections, the APC was hoping that a good performance in some of the state and national assemblies constituencies could help it push its way through back to the corridors of power in Rivers State. But then, Governor Nyesom Wike, who was not a candidate in the polls, had fought hard to ensure that this does not happen because an APC in-road in the state legislature would have been a major setback to his firm grip on power.

But as the dust raised by the keenly contested combative elections settles, and the APC absorbs the results, it has to come to terms with the reality that the political dynamics in the state has changed.

Cognisance that the electorates most times would not evaluate a political party based on his party’s manifesto, but that they vote according to how they feel about a particular candidate, Governor Wike had consciously since the assumption of office in May 2015, attempted to address issues of infrastructural decay and delay in the payment of workers salaries which the past APC-led government in the state failed to tackled before it exited power.

While some of the APC candidates were indeed electable people, their party misread the sentiments on ground in the state. The APC also came late into campaign frenzy and appeared ill-prepared for the contest.

From the beginning to the end of their campaigns, the party was not really focused on issues of governance and on the candidates of the ruling party, but was busy castigating the state government. By failing to effectively campaign, the APC squandered the chance to seize power from the PDP.

Besides kicking off its campaigns late, APC hinged its confident to wrest political party from the ruling PDP solely on the Minister of Transportation and immediate past governor of the state, Chibuike Amaechi.

Considering the PDP’s popularity in Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor councils, Governor Wike, awrae that the rural areas were likely going to be the real battleground in elections, spent considerable time since the polls were annulled to mobilise PDP supporters using the caretaker council chairmen.

The Supreme Court judgment, which validated Governor Wike’s victory in the 2015 governorship further, served as a morale booster for the PDP ahead of the re-run polls.

Prior to the polls, the PDP had attempted to taint the past administration as corrupt, hinging it on Amaechi administration’s inability to pay workers salaries and address the decaying infrastructural deficits before exiting office. Following vitriol verbal attacks between Wike and Amaechi, PDP had created the impression in the minds of the people that there was going to be massive deployment of security apparatus on the election day to pave way for INEC to subvert the will of people. The APC, however, did not adequately counter PDP’s propaganda.

A political analyst, Mr. Steve Woke, told The Guardian that the PDP had been successful at creating doubt in the hearts of its supporters and voters, causing them to feel that the election will be rigged, hence, the resistance seen in four Ogoni councils namely Eleme, Khana, Gokana and Tai where elections were suspended.

“Some of us had expected the APC to earn more seats, but the party misread the situation on ground. It had depended on Amaechi’s laudable performance in office during its governorship election campaign last year, and repeated the same during the just concluded rerun polls.

“A lot has changed in Rivers state. The PDP’s early start during the campaigning period gave it the necessary edge. If the APC had been more on the ground, they would have had a clearer picture of how voters actually felt about their last days in power.

The voting was merely sentimental than reasoning,” said Woke.

Another political observer, Mrs. Sandra Maduka, said the striking difference between PDP and APC supporters was that the PDP supporters have remained the feelers, the hands, and the feet of the party since the party’s attempt to wrest power from the Amaechi-led APC government since 2013.

“The PDP had governed Rivers uninterrupted between 1999 to 2013 when the then governor, Chibuike Amaechi, decamped to the APC. But then power returned to the PDP in 2015. The strength of party is in its numbers and this made it possible for the party to reach every constituent in the state to canvas for votes. I doubt if the APC possess the same numbers as the PDP who worked really hard to win voters back with their grassroots going around canvassing support” she said.

The rerun national and state Assemblies elections in Rivers State were characterized by violence, hijack of electoral materials and voters apathy.

Of note, is the scuffle that ensued on Saturday at the registration area center (RAC) in Abalama, Asari-Toru local government area, as APC and PDP members tried to undo each other in the bid to hijack the voting materials.

Amid the pandemonium, three white Toyota Hilux van conveying persons in police and army uniform stormed the place and opened fire on people. One person was allegedly killed and several persons injured. The gunshot, which lasted several minutes, forced people to, scampered into the nearby bush for safety.

Similarly, in Abonnema waterfront in Akuku Toru Local Government Area, argument broke out between APC and PDP members as election materials were about to be transported to riverine communities, particularly Kula. It was gathered that supporters of both parties had attempted to snatch the election materials. Amid the disagreement that ensued, some of the youths allegedly began shooting as well as detonated dynamite forcing people to flee the area while the materials were said to have been taken away by one of the parties.

The Assistant Inspector General of Police Zone 6 Calabar, Baba Bolanta, told journalists in Port Harcourt that the police arrested 24 suspects during the election comprising 22 males and two females. Bolanta said the suspects were currently in police custody and were undergoing interrogations on allegations of criminal and electoral offences.

He also stated that the massive deployment of police officers drastically assisted in leveraging the palpable fear associated with the re-run election, adding that pockets of security breaches were recorded.

Meanwhile, Governor Wike has declared that the rerun elections in the state have shown clearly who was on ground and which party was the accepted one by the people.

According to him, the rerun elections have proven that the control of INEC, Federal might, military, police and other security agencies do not translate to electoral victories, as the people will always resist agents of rigging.

The APC hopes now depended on the remaining constituencies in the eight local government areas where INEC has suspended polls.
http://guardian.ng/features/why-apc-lost-in-rivers/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by citizenY(m): 11:58pm On Mar 25, 2016
Elections in Rivers have always been rigged right from 1999 and everybody knows this. The international observers said so very clearly and the culprits have been the PDP and the stray elements that now find themselves in APC.

What really played out was a rigging contest by erstwhile colleagues with the same strategy in a situation where there was no time to develop new strategies.. This explains the vitriol . The strategy devised by Wike was to ensure enough terror , verbally and physically to keep voters away from the polling booths. This explains the low voter figures. Amechi could not do much as he had no "locus" like a sitting governor.

Any repeat of the process will only produce the same outcome and more casualties.. Rivers is under siege by these politicians.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by chriskosherbal(m): 1:13am On Mar 26, 2016
We can't just win all contest in life, some are lessons when you fail.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Pidggin(f): 2:18am On Mar 26, 2016
APC will keep losing SS and SE states, whether they like it or not. I wonder why only 5% population is bothering them like this

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by saintopus(m): 3:35am On Mar 26, 2016
citizenY:
Elections in Rivers have always been rigged right from 1999 and everybody knows this. The international observers said so very clearly and the culprits have been the PDP and the stray elements that now find themselves in APC.

What really played out was a rigging contest by erstwhile colleagues with the same strategy in a situation where there was no time to develop new strategies.. This explains the vitriol . The strategy devised by Wike was to ensure enough terror , verbally and physically to keep voters away from the polliElng booths. This explains the low voter figures. Amechi could not do much as he had no "locus" like a sitting governor.

Any repeat of the process will only produce the same outcome and more casualties.. Rivers is under siege by these politicians.

So it is with election in Kano, Lagos and most parts of Nigeria. You see you cant win election in an area you are not pupolar. Conduct the election again in Rivers State, PDP will win even in a free and fair election.
Just thesame way PDP will lost in Lagos anyday....

93 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by TPAND(f): 3:58am On Mar 26, 2016
There's no singular reason to why APC lost in rivers state, because APC will always lose in rivers state.

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Goldencollins: 4:01am On Mar 26, 2016
Buhari is the commander in Chief of Fulani herdsmen,
El rufia is a little devil/sadist who drives joy in making the poor cry.
All these Top apc members secure juicy appointments for their kids in CBN and NNPC while the jobless Sai Buhari chanting Zombie youths wallow in poverty.
As usual the Zombies are free to quote me.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 5:04am On Mar 26, 2016
APC lost because of only one thing, d sentiments of GEJ loss. Majority are still bitter. That bitterness over GEJ loss is d reason rivers people wont Even Vote Apostle Paul as APC candidate but will vote Herod as PDP candidate.

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by mrvitalis(m): 6:11am On Mar 26, 2016
The question I ask Rivers people that I haven't been able to get an answer is this

U punish ur son ameachi (that's developed ur
state for 8 years) because Jonathan ur brother from another state ( that didn't nothing for ur state in 6 years)

Now who is the bigger bitrayer... Rivers people or ameachi

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by ifyan(m): 6:25am On Mar 26, 2016
What you guys fail to understand is that APC is seen as a foreign PARTY to the people of Rivrrs state.

Also seen as an Islamic party and Northern party.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by ifyan(m): 6:29am On Mar 26, 2016
Rivers indigene felt that Amaechi betray them. Remember what he did to GEJ & PEJ now WIKE.

He is also seen as a someone that is monitoring something and controlled by the Northerners.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Guliver(m): 7:16am On Mar 26, 2016
APC lost cos river's people are not interested n development, they nid d money 2 b share & embezzled. t only lazy peep DAT like PDP.death 2 PDP

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 26, 2016
tuale4u:
APC lost because of only one thing, d sentiments of GEJ loss. Majority are still bitter. That bitterness over GEJ loss is d reason rivers people wont Even Vote Apostle Paul as APC candidate but will vote Herod as PDP candidate.
I agree wit u to an extend. But I want to inform u that despite our annoyance, Amaechi caused apc's failure. Almost everybody in my house, friends and even I heard someof the voters saying it open that 19th of March; that Amaechi coming down to insult Jonathan again during the campaign to the rerun and asking us to disgrace Jonathan was a pride took too far. We were so angry with him insulting Jonathan during the campaign to the rerun. Pls tell your apc not to allow Amaechi hold Mic for the Edo state campaign or else, what happenedin Rivers will repeat itself. Pls when last did u hear Oshiomhole insulting Jonathan againor calling his name? the moment u do it, we will vote against u outrightly. Amaechi should have learnt from what happened in Bayelsa when Syva lost because of same Jonathan. They should sell the party to us and not by insulting the man they ganged up to ousted from power because of minority joined with selfish people like Amaechi.
We are indeed angry, but Amaechi killed the party more down the south because of pride and his cancellation of the Nigerian Maritime University was seen as anti Niger Delta

113 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by joncom(m): 8:03am On Mar 26, 2016
citizenY:

What really played out was a rigging contest by erstwhile colleagues with the same strategy in a situation where there was no time to develop new strategies.. This explains the vitriol . The strategy devised by Wike was to ensure enough terror , verbally and physically to keep voters away from the polling booths. This explains the low voter figures. Amechi could not do much as he had no "locus" like a sitting governor.

Biased reporting. If you were truly on ground, you would see that both parties were ready to rig the election. It was who rigged more.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by mrvitalis(m): 8:41am On Mar 26, 2016
Dimienedonkz:

before I will reply your d●nce post, please modify it because the grammatical error is too grievous.
The massage has been passed

3 Likes

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 26, 2016
mrvitalis:
lol

2 Likes

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 26, 2016
mrvitalis:
lol, which was?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by citizenY(m): 9:00am On Mar 26, 2016
joncom:

Biased reporting. If you were truly on ground, you would see that both parties were ready to rig the election. It was who rigged more.

Where is the bias? Read my post again. I said clearly that it was a rigging contest.
Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 26, 2016
citizenY:

Where is the bias? Read my post again. I said clearly that it was a rigging contest.
I don't know why people will remain in another region and be saying rubbish about other people's affair. pls if u v anybody; friend or family down here call the person and ask if people voted? It was apc who rigged because I am doubting how they got the votes they recorded.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by ddippset(m): 9:36am On Mar 26, 2016
Dimienedonkz:

before I will reply your d●nce post, please modify it because the grammatical error is too grievous.
look who's talking about grammatical blunder. How about the one you fired yesterday?

1 Like

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by ddippset(m): 9:37am On Mar 26, 2016
Amaechi the guy who developed his state in education, health, security, infrastructure, Jobs, is the enemy while Jonathan who did nothing and wike who embezzled state funds as local government chairman are their heroes. This generation is the cursed generation. Even if a goat contested under the pdp, rivers people would vote that goat.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 26, 2016
ddippset:
look who's talking about grammatical blunder. How about the one you fired yesterday?
I speak better than u and even yo thick head knows that. Stop fooling yourself that I made a blunder. Well it is not uncommon among apc zombies to refused accepting wrong when they are told.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 26, 2016
ddippset:
I speak better than u and even yo thick head knows that. Stop fooling yourself that I made a blunder. Well it is not uncommon among apc zombies to refused accepting wrong when they are told.

Keep following me like tse tse fly.
Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by TGM2015: 10:47am On Mar 26, 2016
ddippset:
Amaechi the guy who developed his state in education, health, security, infrastructure, Jobs, is the enemy while Jonathan who did nothing and wike who embezzled state funds as local government chairman are their heroes. This generation is the cursed generation. Even if a goat contested under the pdp, rivers people would vote that goat.
That is what I can't just comprehend even tonyebarcanista with his wealth of knowledge fall into the same category. I believe people should vote for their development not on hatred of two man/party affairs.
I challenge tonyebarcanista to write an epistle of how
1. PDP rule in Rivers state is far better than Ameachi 8 years rules.
2. How Jonathan influence has developed the state?
3. How did Amaechi betray Jonathan and PDP?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 26, 2016
TGM2015:

That is what I can't just comprehend even tonyebarcanista with his wealth of knowledge fall into the same category. I believe people should vote for their development not on hatred of two man/party affairs.
pls I v said it in many times that Amaechi pride and abusive nature is d bane of apc in Rivers. Moreover, can u tell me who were d apc candidates in the Rivers Rerun? Is it the people like Chidi Lyod the man who should've been in gaol in a saner climate? The man who ought to be facing charge of attempted murder? Did u watch how he almost killed Chindi? guy go for healing at SCOAN asap!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by Amanwulu1(m): 12:12pm On Mar 26, 2016
ddippset:
I laugh at u ppl's sentiment abt anything apc being achievement. Dis coming frm d same ab*kis' goats who wondered why we're criticising Rochas who they labeled d best governor in d entire south East, frm their villages. Who is now talking about rochas now? It's now amechi who developed infrastructure. As I said, I laugh at ur sentiment.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by ddippset(m): 12:23pm On Mar 26, 2016
Amanwulu1:
I laugh at u ppl's sentiment abt anything apc being achievement. Dis coming frm d same ab*kis' goats who wondered why we're criticising Rochas who they labeled d best governor in d entire south East, frm their villages. Who is now talking about rochas now? It's now amechi who developed infrastructure. As I said, I laugh at ur sentiment.
Ignorance is a disease! It's always been! Come and take a a poll in rivers state. Who is the best governor in the history of rivers state? 50% would tell you Ada George, the other 50% would tell you Chibuike Amaechi. Stop bringing your IPOB and akpu sentiments here please.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:29pm On Mar 26, 2016
TGM2015:

Excuse me gentleman, my problem with Amaexhi has nothing to do with his beef with PEJ/GEJ. It has nothing to do with his defection to APC nor his support for Buhari. It is his fundamental right to align with anyone politically. Don't forget that I was once pro-APC/Buhari.

My problem with Amaechi stem from the fact that he allowed his success of his first term to override his brain. In his second term Amaechi stopped carrying out sensible projects but instead diverted Rivers money to fund APC, he embarked on elephant projects and brought to zero the same reserve that he initiated and got hailed in 2008. Amaechi owed pensioners and shut the judiciary for TWO years. The worse is he still wanted to impose a prefect, Dakuku on Rivers people.

Honestly, No governor has governed Rivers better than Amaechi(2007-2011) and we(Okrikans) will always credit him for his deeds in our land despite the water front issue.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:32pm On Mar 26, 2016
ddippset:
Ignorance is a disease! It's always been! Come and take a a poll in rivers state. Who is the best governor in the history of rivers state? 50% would tell you Ada George, the other 50% would tell you Chibuike Amaechi. Stop bringing your IPOB and akpu sentiments here please.
Ada wet in? That idiot is only better than Odili, Dieter Spiff, Milford Okilo etc but he's miles below Amaechi (2007-2011). Admittedly, Amaechi 2013-2015 will rank as one of the worst in Rivera history]

15 Likes

Re: Why APC Lost In Rivers by ddippset(m): 12:32pm On Mar 26, 2016
Dimienedonkz:

pls I v said it in many times that Amaechi pride and abusive nature is d bane of apc in Rivers. Moreover, can u tell me who were d apc candidates in the Rivers Rerun? Is it the people like Chidi Lyod the man who should've been in gaol in a saner climate? The man who ought to be facing charge of attempted murder? Did u watch how he almost killed Chindi? guy go for healing at SCOAN asap!
Nonsense. People would tell you 'we don't like amaechi'. Then you ask why? They tell you he is stubborn and he doesn't respect elders. Nobody would tell you he is not a performer, an achiever or a workaholic. You only hear crap like 'he doesn't respect elders' cursed generation! And o yes if chidi lloyd should be in jail then people like ateke tom, solomon ndigbara, Félix obuah, even wike should be hanged already.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Throws Out Buhari’s Electoral Bill / Thousands Of PVCs Discovered Inside Bush In Nnewi, Anambra State (Videos) / Abdullahi Abbas: Kano Supplementary Election Is “Do Or Die” – APC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.