Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Gmb: The Persistent One By Esomnofu Arinze - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gmb: The Persistent One By Esomnofu Arinze (443 Views)

Show Fort Thy Leaders (an Open Letter To The Igbo Race) By Esomnofu Arinze / The Voting Pattern By Esomnofu Arinze / GEJ OR GMB: For Once Am Confused By Esomnofu Arinze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gmb: The Persistent One By Esomnofu Arinze by ddddon(m): 12:55pm On Apr 01, 2015
GMB: THE PERSISTENT ONE by Esomnofu Arinze
arinzeesomnofu@gmail.com

Persistency, an act of obstinately refusing to give up or let go, have been the watch word of the people's General.

Last week I wrote a piece titled "GEJ OR GMB: For Once Am Confused" www.nairaland.com/2204316/gej-gmb-once-confused-esomnofu
and my fellow countrymen and women gave their unbiased reviews on the said topic, then it occurred to me that my political views are supposed to be neutral for as a serving corp member we swore to be neutral and also the singular fact that we won't get to vote due to our engagement as ad hoc staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission I.N.E.C. so it left me wishing that the choices of my people in Anambra State for President will prevail but still the "little boy" in me wish that the man clamouring for "Change" will get his chance at the helms of affairs of Nigeria, because that silent part of me knew that General Buhari will will bring about the desired change.

Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (Ret.) was born on 17 December 1942, in Daura, Katsina State, to his father Adamu and his mother
Zulaihat. He is the twenty-third child of his father. Buhari was raised by his mother, after his father died when he was about three.

Buhari joined the Nigerian Army in 1961, when he attended the Nigerian Military Training
College (in February 1964, it was renamed the Nigerian Defence Academy, (NDA) in Kaduna).
From 1962-1963, he underwent Officer Cadets training at Mons Officer Cadet School in Aldershot in England (Mons OCS was officially closed down in 1972).
In January 1963, Buhari was commissioned as second lieutenant, and appointed Platoon Commander of the Second Infantry Battalion in Abeokuta, Nigeria. From November 1963- January 1964, Buhari attended the Platoon
Commanders’ Course at the Nigerian Military College, Kaduna. In 1964, he facilitated his
military training by attending the Mechanical Transport Officer’s Course at the Army Mechanical Transport School in Borden, United Kingdom. From then till when he retired from the military, he rose to the rank of Major General.

Eureka!!! to our President Elect General Muhammed Buhari Okechukwu (Ogbuagu 1 of Aba ) as my friend from Warri TY will say "bros, it isn't easy".

The people's General have made the word " persistency " come alive, having ran unsuccessfully for the office of President in the 2003 , 2007 and 2011 elections.

In 2003, he ran against the then incumbent President of Nigeria Gen Obasanjo, which he lost. Then in 2007 he ran against the late Alhaji Yar Adua which he lost, in 2011 he contested under the platform of C.P.C also the General lost this time with much bitterness in his heart, but his search for victory lingers.

In between the four times Gen Buhari have contested for the office of President, 16 good years have gone down the pipeline but yet the people's General showed great persistent, without giving up, he brought that very word alive today.

Many hate messages have started going round the social medias jokingly asking Nigerians to adopt an Islamic name in preparation of the inevitable "islamization" of the country but what the people behind this frivolous act failed to know about our amiable President elect is that, he was a military Head of State between 31 December 1983 – 27 August 1985 and during this period Gen Buhari and his deputy Major General Tunde Idiagbon were both Muslims and their regime was dictatorial, which means that Gen Buhari could wake up one day and decide to come on national television to islamize the entire nation, calling Decree 007 or whatever he deems appropriate, but for 20 months the people General was in absolute power of the entity called Nigeria he did not do this, because deep within him he knew that the religious choices of Nigerians is one that must be respected, he knew that every Nigerian have the right to Religion and he stood on that platform till the I.B.B led team couped him out of office.

Even if the people's General had a change of mind and wants to being up an islamization agenda how can he go about such in this current democratic government we are practicing. knowing fully well he must go through the upper and lower houses of legislation that consists of both of Christians, Muslim and other religion. OK let's imagine a sudden abracadabra sees him through the Senators and Honorable members of the house, how will he succeed through Nigerians that have over the years gathered such strong political interest in the polity, or have we forgotten so soon what led to subsidy protest that was tagged "Occupy Nigeria".

So in common sense, this whole brouhaha of islamization won't see the light of the day in this present dispensation in Nigeria. So it should be permanently laid to rest.

Also people do claim randomly that Buhari is an Islamic bigot and that his adminstration is going to favour Nigerians with Islamic background but what also people fail to note is that for years now the personal driver of General Buhari is a Christian, so in actual sense which religion bigot will employ someone that his/her faith differs from his into a sensitive position of driver, also majority of his cabinet during his regime were Christians.

As a serving corp member I Herby use this medium to pledge my loyalty to the President elect and the incoming Commander in Chief of the Armed forces of Nigeria General Muhammed Buhari, and looks forward to service to my fatherland under your adminstration.

Today as we celebrate General Buhari we should not fail to acknowledge the man that gave the platform for the peace we are currently enjoying in the country today President Goodluck Jonathan for accepting defeat and congratulating Buhari even before I.N.E.C officially declared him the winner of the pools. President Jonathan have shown true attribute of a statesman and for that Sir, I say a big thank you to you. Nigerians is greatful and really appreciate your service. God bless you sir.

The good book says in James 5 vs 16b "the effectual fervent prayers of a righteous man availeth much" this have been the case of our President elect, he have fervently prayed for this opportunity and it is here before him.

So I use this medium to say a silent prayer in my heart, that God will grant we Nigerians the persistent spirit of Gen Buhari, and in every endeavours we have failed, be it once or twice or even trice, he will answer our prayers like he answered that of Gen Buhari. Amen

Longlive GEJ

Longlive GMB and

Longlive the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Unity Or Sign Of Defeat (pix) / Obasanjo Writes Gen.buhari(president Elect) A Letter--lindaikeji / Unconfirmed Post-election Violence In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.