Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,416 members, 7,812,229 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Meet The Man Who Discovered Ayinla Omowura - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet The Man Who Discovered Ayinla Omowura (4544 Views)

How Did Ayinla Omowura Really Die? / Late Ayinla Omowura’s Son, Akeem Dies / Wife Who Discovered That Husband Was Cheating On Her Dumps Him In A Big Way... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Man Who Discovered Ayinla Omowura by ludamix(m): 11:14am On Apr 03, 2015
One of the members of the musical crew of
Ayinla Omowura, the late Yoruba musician
who sang a genre known as Apala, has narrated
how the band was formed.
The 88-year-old Rahmon Adewale spoke to
PREMIUM TIMES at a public function in
Abeokuta, about 35 years after the death of the
popular singer.
Mr. Adewale, a retired drummer, narrated how
he invited Omowura to become the lead singer
for the group. He said it was while beating
drums at public events across Abeokuta that
some of his fans suggested to him to look for a
musician with good voice to complement his
efforts.
“I was an Apala drummer, who entertained
residents of Abeokuta and environs,” he said
in Yoruba language. “When my fans cherished
my performance and talent, they called on me
to get a musician with good voice to
complement my efforts.”
“This was what led to my search, and I
thereafter discovered Ayinla, who was then a
trainee with a late Apala musician, known as
Osho Oba.”
Mr. Adewale, popularly called ‘Onilu-Ola’,
which means ‘successful drummer’ in Yoruba,
stated that the first time he approached
Omowura to join him for a musical show, the
latter expressed fear that his boss would not
allow him. He said he persuaded the singer to
lie to his boss that he was sick.
The drummer said the first show he attended
alongside Omowura was at Igbogila in Yewa
North Local Government Area of Ogun State.
He said it was after the event that the band was
encouraged to start producing albums. Mr. Adewale also narrated a conflict he had with the late musician.
“I dislike cheating. When money was coming
in, he was not showing concern for my welfare,” he said. “After complaining severally
and he was not yielding, I decided to pull out from the band; but the quick intervention of some of our notable fans saved the situation and thereafter we resolved our differences.”
The octogenarian also refuted insinuations that Omowura was a drunkard, saying “he was a lazy drinker, who after taking two bottles of beer, would not go beyond that.”
He also narrated how the singer died in 1980.
According to the retired drummer, Omowura was trying to retrieve a motorcycle he bought for one of the band members, called Bayewu, following differences between them. The singer trailed Bayewu to a beer parlour in Ago-Oba area of Abeokuta, to retrieve the motorcycle. A fight ensued between them, and in the process, Baiyewu was alleged to have smashed a thick glass cup on Omowura’s head, who slumped and died thereafter.
The drummer also said he played a role in Omowura’s marriage after the wife’s parents initially rejected the relationship due to what they believed was the musician’s stubbornness. He said his intervention and appeal to the parents made them agree to the wedding.
Mr. Adewale said the crew was disbanded after the death of Omowura

Re: Meet The Man Who Discovered Ayinla Omowura by OROSUNBOLB(m): 1:05pm On May 12, 2020
...onilu ola o gbo n t ' adewale n wi, o ni eku o loju titi o,loju titi o, oni moto n bo.......

May the soul of Omowura continue to rest in peace.

(1) (Reply)

[PHOTOS] Phyno Surprises Primary School Classmate With A Visit / Stunning Beyonce Lookalike Gets Chased Down The Street By Screaming Fans. / Your Insult Is Not Stopping My Cash– Bobrisky Says As He Shows Off His House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.