Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? (1104 Views)

Why Do Ladies Do This, Huh? / Why Do Ladies Cry When Their Man Propose To Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by 5minsmadness: 1:28pm On Apr 04, 2015
I just got off the phone with a cousin. This guy currently lives abroad. About 7 years ago he met and proposed marriage to 'the love of his life', a young promising graduate. despite the fact that his parents vehemently refused his marriage to this girl on the basis that they really didnt know her or her family he went ahead and did a secret court marriage so he and his 'true love' could be together. Two months later she was pregnant and the parents had no choice but to agree to a traditional marriage. He then went ahead to take her abroad and provide her with a foreign degree and a decent job.
All of a sudden she changed. She started asking him why she should contribute to the upkeep of the house, why she shouldn't be allowed to stay out late, what right did he have to stop her from wearing the kind of clothes she wanted amongst other things. He found himself picking his words carefully whenever he talked to her so as to be misconstrued as being rude. To cut a long story short they broke up a few weeks ago and the kids have been sent back to naija to live with the grandparents while both have gone their separate ways.

What baffles me is that i interacted with this lady while she was in the country and honestly she didn't seem like the troublemaker type at all. very friendly and polite, generous up to a fault. Between the time they dated and the time they got married before going abroad they were together for four years and during that time we never heard a single complaint. even my cousin attests to the fact that there was no trouble until they left the country.

the painful thing now is that his parents are laughing at him. like they warned him about knowing the girl and her family first but he was forming 'modern man'.

i have found this trait to occur a lot among some other marriages. Why do some ladies behave like this?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by izzyboy10(m): 1:30pm On Apr 04, 2015
Cause of the environment empowers females very well than here.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by 5minsmadness: 1:34pm On Apr 04, 2015
izzyboy10:
Cause of the environment empowers females very well than here.
Is empowerment equivalent to marriage break-up/divorce?
Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by izzyboy10(m): 1:37pm On Apr 04, 2015
5minsmadness:

Is empowerment equivalent to marriage break-up/divorce?
when they get there,they try to gallivant since that place is kinda free than here.
Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 04, 2015
For her mind "levels don change",..a lot of people enter into marriage without understanding what they are going into...I won't judge her until I hear her own part of the story
Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by Henix(m): 2:15pm On Apr 04, 2015
Women are mostly like that, even here in nigeria. Though i believe in gender equality but a good woman has it as a duty to always respect her husband, no matter what life might hav changed to
Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by cococandy(f): 2:46pm On Apr 04, 2015
Another thread to bash Nigerian women abroad.

All those women that are dragging their husbands to ejigbo court and igando court for divorce everyday na who?

Or I forgot Lagos na abroad too. grin

I am sure more people get divorced in Lagos alone than the whole of (abroad where that is) put together in a year.

But you know it is. Leave the forest in your eye and grieve with your neighbor for the speck in his eye.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by damiso(f): 3:16pm On Apr 04, 2015
For every Nigerian marriage that breaks up in Diaspora there are 3 that are working..

As for the question, me I don't know o.I will be the same person that I am regardless of whether I live in Kaduna,Norway or America cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by flyca: 3:30pm On Apr 04, 2015
Lol. I hope the guy in question is my ex or his likes grin

He deserves a "tear-eye" lady since he doesn't understand what it means to be truly loved. U cannot take a woman for granted all her life. Nanzenz!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by 2CatWoman: 11:18am On Apr 05, 2015
5minsmadness:
I just got off the phone with a cousin. This guy currently lives abroad. About 7 years ago he met and proposed marriage to 'the love of his life', a young promising graduate. despite the fact that his parents vehemently refused his marriage to this girl on the basis that they really didnt know her or her family he went ahead and did a secret court marriage so he and his 'true love' could be together. Two months later she was pregnant and the parents had no choice but to agree to a traditional marriage. He then went ahead to take her abroad and provide her with a foreign degree and a decent job.
All of a sudden she changed. She started asking him why she should contribute to the upkeep of the house, why she shouldn't be allowed to stay out late, what right did he have to stop her from wearing the kind of clothes she wanted amongst other things. He found himself picking his words carefully whenever he talked to her so as to be misconstrued as being rude. To cut a long story short they broke up a few weeks ago and the kids have been sent back to naija to live with the grandparents while both have gone their separate ways.

What baffles me is that i interacted with this lady while she was in the country and honestly she didn't seem like the troublemaker type at all. very friendly and polite, generous up to a fault. Between the time they dated and the time they got married before going abroad they were together for four years and during that time we never heard a single complaint. even my cousin attests to the fact that there was no trouble until they left the country.

the painful thing now is that his parents are laughing at him. like they warned him about knowing the girl and her family first but he was forming 'modern man'.

i have found this trait to occur a lot among some other marriages. Why do some ladies behave like this?

To be able to meet, marry, obtain foreign degree and good job and children old enough to send back home to grandparents all in 7 years is truly amazing.

Please stop making stuff up. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by soonest(f): 12:18pm On Apr 05, 2015
For the same reason why Nigerian men don't change when they go abroad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by 5minsmadness: 12:29pm On Apr 05, 2015
2CatWoman:

To be able to meet, marry, obtain foreign degree and good job and children old enough to send back home to grandparents all in 7 years is truly amazing.

Please stop making stuff up. wink
Meet---unknown
Impregnated - - - 2 months later.
Married - - - - - - 1yr later. First child is 3months.
Wife stayed in Nigeria for 4yrs and had second child.
They stayed abroad 3yrs. She got placement to study from here so started immediately when she got there. First child is now 7yrs. Second child is 3yrs plus.
Re: Why Do Ladies Change When They Go Abroad? by obowunmi(m): 12:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
Pray before you marry. Even then, marriage is not beans. You are talking about 2 strangers with different backgrounds and values forcing themselves to be together.

Not even parents can decipher whether or not the marriage will work.

Women want a partner who is understanding and supportive, not every time control.

(1) (Reply)

Am In A Precarious Situation What Do I Do? / Dead person,Please Help Contact His Family / How To Identify A Typical Naija Mum (just For Laffs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.