Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,677 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3029642 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 1:30pm On Jun 25, 2016
bidexiii:

Yeap............ grin

He denied it. But most of d generals up there, r involved in corrupt practices one time or the other . As average nigerians are corrupt.
But I like these type of happenings. If you r to sack corrupt people u should not forget ur past and not be involved in the present and future.

His like he has stepped on some toes and they r bitting back hard...... grin
dat y I fear Nigeria politicians
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:39pm On Jun 25, 2016
giles14:
dat y I fear Nigeria politicians

Politicking....... .... in nigeria military. grin

But honestly me Buratai's military tactics /ideology I so much respect a lot. These is such a mess.. shocked
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
#RANDOM PICTURES.......

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by LTGEN: 4:50pm On Jun 25, 2016
Henry240:

How i wish we actually did go forward with the T-129 purchase. Anyway, we are growing our fleet, that's all that matters.
If you noticed the NAF and the NA just finished joint coin training which involved rappelling into Hot Areas.
This might be the reason why the NAF opted for the Dauphin .The HC135 is an excellent Helio for ISR.The encased rotors further muffle the noise from the Engine.l read up on this Birdie right after I saw the now famous NAF303, which was first used by the PMCs in 2015.
The NAF Chief Air Marshall Sadique Abubbakar is putting his Stamp in the NAF
1.The recently completed Barracks,in Kano and Port Harcourt
2.The up grade of the ISRs NAF201,202 and 203 to finally include the cameras.
3.The expanded aprons at Yola for the incoming aircraft
4.The now revealed plans for the NAF to double it's application intake and to increase the number of Pilots being trained.
I hope this will continue because there is a lot to be done . The NAF is also helping out in Niger it is hoped the NAF will also train more QRF because they are going to be needed in the Niger Delta. angry
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
Henry240:

That's the home base of our ATR-42s, our old replaced Fokker Maritime Aircrafts are also in that base.

For the Donier DO-228, I don't think NAF doniers are optimised to carry out ISR. Only Customs DO-228s are rigged to carry out recon.

Helicopters, MI-35s, were also based in Benin.

the air-force Donier DO-228 can easily be retro fitted with surveillance and EW equipment (for SIGNIT ) plus also armed.

this one is fitted with electro optical pod and EW equipment . nigeria can do the same by buying off the shelve sub systems and retro fitting the same , especially good for SIGNIT operations like off the air snooping , comms including satcom (ground station) interception and direction finding , including GSM CDMA and VOIP intercepts.

this one shows 2 pylons which can be fitted with high calibre gun pods or rocket pods , to take out targets of opportunity or high priority time critical targets.

the dorniers are good rugged and capable aircraft's able to operate from unprepared airstrips in hot conditions.

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2011/08/naf-dornier-do-228.jpg[/img]
NAF Donier DO-228

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 5:49pm On Jun 25, 2016
LTGEN:

If you noticed the NAF and the NA just finished joint coin training which involved rappelling into Hot Areas.
This might be the reason why the NAF opted for the Dauphin .The HC135 is an excellent Helio for ISR.The encased rotors further muffle the noise from the Engine.l read up on this Birdie right after I saw the now famous NAF303, which was first used by the PMCs in 2015.
The NAF Chief Air Marshall Sadique Abubbakar is putting his Stamp in the NAF
1.The recently completed Barracks,in Kano and Port Harcourt
2.The up grade of the ISRs NAF201,202 and 203 to finally include the cameras.
3.The expanded aprons at Yola for the incoming aircraft
4.The now revealed plans for the NAF to double it's application intake and to increase the number of Pilots being trained.
I hope this will continue because there is a lot to be done . The NAF is also helping out in Niger it is hoped the NAF will also train more QRF because they are going to be needed in the Niger Delta. angry

Thanks mate...... cool
U'v just mentioned a few of he has accomplished.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by MikeCZA: 6:30pm On Jun 25, 2016
TrueHeart365:

say hello to the keke battaliongrin.
The Nigerian army keke stealth multi-role vehicle.

Designed to stealthy penetrate deep into territory. The vehicles are amazingly quiet, insurgents never know the men of keke battalion are close or approaching their position until the crack of assault rifles! It can also be used to rapidly deploy forward air controllers, move ammunition, casualties etc

I can't wait for these men to tell their stories in the near. I can already imagine a book name: Mamba strike: In enemy territory with the men of keke battalion. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:45pm On Jun 25, 2016
MikeCZA:
The Nigerian army keke stealth multi-role vehicle.

Designed to stealthy penetrate deep into territory. The vehicle are amazingly quiet, insurgents never know the men of keke battalion are close or approaching their position until the crack of assault rifles! It can also be used to rapidly deploy forward air controllers, move ammunition, casualties etc

I can't wait for these men to tell their stories in the near. I can already imagine a book name: Mamba strike: In enemy territory with the men of keke battalion. grin grin grin

@mikeCZA u r a sick fellow.........and @ d same time funny dude........ grin

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:49pm On Jun 25, 2016
War on terror _ Nigerian Airforce upgrades facilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gIfjpQac-Y
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 25, 2016
bidexiii:

No picture of dead terrorists...... lipsrsealed

clic on "Afficher" under +18 to see the pic wink

http://www.forcesdz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187429#p187429
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:01pm On Jun 25, 2016
chkil:

clic on "Afficher" under +18 to see the pic wink

http://www.forcesdz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187429#p187429

Bleep a lot of them..... cool shocked

They where anchored to the Bulldozer to be displayed... shocked
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:06am On Jun 26, 2016
UPDATE ON OPERATION LAFIYA DOLE: TROOPS CARRY OUT SEVERAL CLEARANCE PATROLS

Troops of 21 Brigade and Civilian JTF today conducted a fighting patrol to Zangebe, Maiwa, Algaiti and Mainari villages in which they killed 6 Boko Haram terrorists and wounded several others. The troops also liberated over 5,000 persons held hostages by Boko Haram terrorists and recovered 5 motorcycles and similar number of bicycles.

Similarly, troops of 7 Division Garrison Rapid Deployment Force (RDF) II, in conjunction with some of elements of Mobile Police Force and Civilian JTF today also conducted Boko Haram terrorists clearance operations at Masu Yiwa, Ladin Buta, Bazaka, Kesa Gala, Tabla, Fahinde, Shirori, Gizina, Maska Aribe, Maska and Maska Lawanti villages, all in Mafa Local Government Area of Borno State.

During the clearance operations, the troops encountered Boko Haram terrorists at Maska Lawanti in which they killed 2 terrorists and recovered 2 motorcycles.

Unfortunately, we lost 1 Civilian JTF, while a soldier and 1 Mobile Policeman were wounded in action. The body of the heroic Civilian JTF and the wounded soldier and his police counterpart have since been evacuated to Maiduguri. While we commiserate with the families of the departed Civilian JTF, we wish to state that the wounded are in stable condition and responding to treatment.

In a related development, troops of 192 Battalion, 26 Task Force Brigade and some vigilantes alos embarked on fighting patrol along Kusarha-Zalidava general area today. The patrol team encountered some elements of Boko Haram around Zalidava-Weige villages in which they killed 2 Boko Haram terrorists and recovered 1 General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) with registration number FN 132125, a belt of 7.62mm (NATO) ammunition containing 42 rounds. Sadly, one of the vigilantes sustained an injury on his eye. However, he is getting better.

Thank you for kind cooperation.

Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman
Acting Director Army Public Relations

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:12am On Jun 26, 2016
MORE........

**********WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES**********

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:30am On Jun 26, 2016
A weaponised Nigerian Air Force Mi-17 helicopter. This unit is equipped with a FLIR pod (sheathed in red)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 26, 2016
bidexiii:
A weaponised Nigerian Air Force Mi-17 helicopter. This unit is equipped with a FLIR pod (sheathed in red)

FLIR or EO pod ?

AFAIK Electro Optical pods generally has both day and night capability together with laser range finder and laser designator.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:28am On Jun 26, 2016
nemesis2u:

FLIR or EO pod ?

AFAIK Electro Optical pods generally has both day and night capability together with laser range finder and laser designator.

It should be a FLIR POD..
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:40am On Jun 26, 2016
Another NN AGUSTA A109 HELICOPTER being fitted with FLIR POD

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 26, 2016
i had doubts because

in FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red) , the term "forward looking" is used to denote fixed forward-looking thermal imaging systems( generally found in fighters) rather than gimbal-mounted imaging systems( generally found in helicopters ).

but to tell the truth FLIR and EO nomenclature is used interchangeably by many, so positive identification or installed capabilities (CCD, laser range finder, laser designator, TV camera , day and night sight etc ) will only reveal the true system in use .
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:15am On Jun 26, 2016
nemesis2u:
i had doubts because

in FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red) , the term "forward looking" is used to denote fixed forward-looking thermal imaging systems( generally found in fighters) rather than gimbal-mounted imaging systems( generally found in helicopters ).

but to tell the truth FLIR and EO nomenclature is used interchangeably by many, so positive identification or installed capabilities (CCD, laser range finder, laser designator, TV camera , day and night sight etc ) will only reveal the true system in use .

So what's the difference between the FLIR/EO pod and the gimbal-mounted imaging systems( generally found in helicopters ). Honestly they look the same.

Even the FLIR POD & EO pods are somehow convincing........
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:18am On Jun 26, 2016
#AFSF...

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 26, 2016
bidexiii:

So what's the difference between the FLIR/EO pod and the gimbal-mounted imaging systems( generally found in helicopters ). Honestly they look the same.

Even the FLIR POD & EO pods are somehow convincing........

in school i think you were a teachers nightmare grin

see what you did to me here
i asked you a question and you answered it by asking me a even tougher question grin

i will have to be careful in the future with you and not get trapped like this wink

well the answer is this.

FLIR is a Acronym that stands for Forward Looking Infra Red.The term originated with airborne thermal imaging units that were angled to look forward.

Forward-looking infrared (FLIR) sensors produce images of objects from the heat energy they produce. The device may also do image processing, including such things as comparing the heat of the background to that of the target, which allows digital enhancement. These are also called thermal imagers. FLIRs use solid-state detectors, usually cooled well below the ambient temperature.

Thermal imaging is used not only for surveillance but for target acquisition and tracking.

FLIRs generally operate in the far infrared spectrum, at wavelengths of 8-12 micrometers. however FLIRs operating on medium infrared, with wavelengths between 3-5 micrometers is better but more expensive.

Electro-optical, or EO, systems are systems that utilize a combination of electronics and optics to generate, detect, and/or measure radiation in the optical spectrum.

This portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, with wavelengths from approximately 0.01 to 1000 micrometres, includes infrared radiation, visible light and ultra-violet radiation.

Lasers are commonly used as part of EO systems.

Another application of EO systems is in imaging. Electro-optical imaging systems use EO radiation emitted or reflected by a target to produce a useful output image. Two common examples of such systems are thermal imagers and night-vision / image intensification systems.

long story short

FLIR is based on utilizing the infra red spectrum only and,

Electro-optical, or EO, systems is made up of different sub systems that utilizes infra red , visible light and ultra-violet portion of the spectrum separately and also integrates laser technology.

FLIR is a single purpose kitchen knife grin

Electro-optical, or EO, systems is a multipurpose Swiss knife grin grin

plz dont mind me, just having a little fun - i like ur inquisitive nature

are u still in academics ?

regards.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:21pm On Jun 26, 2016
nemesis2u:

in school i think you were a teachers nightmare grin

see what you did to me here
i asked you a question and you answered it by asking me a even tougher question grin

i will have to be careful in the future with you and not get trapped like this wink

well the answer is this.

FLIR is a Acronym that stands for Forward Looking Infra Red.The term originated with airborne thermal imaging units that were angled to look forward.

Forward-looking infrared (FLIR) sensors produce images of objects from the heat energy they produce. The device may also do image processing, including such things as comparing the heat of the background to that of the target, which allows digital enhancement. These are also called thermal imagers. FLIRs use solid-state detectors, usually cooled well below the ambient temperature.

Thermal imaging is used not only for surveillance but for target acquisition and tracking.

FLIRs generally operate in the far infrared spectrum, at wavelengths of 8-12 micrometers. however FLIRs operating on medium infrared, with wavelengths between 3-5 micrometers is better but more expensive.

Electro-optical, or EO, systems are systems that utilize a combination of electronics and optics to generate, detect, and/or measure radiation in the optical spectrum.

This portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, with wavelengths from approximately 0.01 to 1000 micrometres, includes infrared radiation, visible light and ultra-violet radiation.

Lasers are commonly used as part of EO systems.

Another application of EO systems is in imaging. Electro-optical imaging systems use EO radiation emitted or reflected by a target to produce a useful output image. Two common examples of such systems are thermal imagers and night-vision / image intensification systems.

long story short

FLIR is based on utilizing the infra red spectrum only and,

Electro-optical, or EO, systems is made up of different sub systems that utilizes infra red , visible light and ultra-violet portion of the spectrum separately and also integrates laser technology.

FLIR is a single purpose kitchen knife grin

Electro-optical, or EO, systems is a multipurpose Swiss knife grin grin

plz dont mind me, just having a little fun - i like ur inquisitive nature

are u still in academics ?

regards.

You've gave a clearer picture on FLIR or EO pod.
And guess what.........

U r a proff............ grin

But u av not answered my question yet. cool

What's gimbal-mounted imaging systems( generally found in helicopters ).......whats the difference, just these last one.... grin

Av tried doing some research but am not satisfied with what av being getting on the Internet, may be u can help.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 26, 2016
bidexiii:

You've gave a clearer picture on FLIR or EO pod.
And guess what.........

U r a proff............ grin

But u av not answered my question yet. cool

What's gimbal-mounted imaging systems( generally found in helicopters ).......whats the difference, just these last one.... grin

Av tried doing some research but am not satisfied with what av being getting on the Internet, may be u can help.

FLIR stands for Forward Looking Infra Red because initially it was utilized in fighter aircraft's and positioned below the fuselage just below the cockpit region or there about. this configuration was ok for aircraft's because it lined up with the aircraft's nose and weapon release flight path . so it was utilized for CAS missions . later on IRST a much capable derivative of FLIR was brought out which functioned in air to air and air to ground modes besides offering other advantages over FLIR systems, until under-slung more powerful specialized EO/FLIR based pods like sniper, lightening etc came into play.

but in helicopters requirement was for 360 degree coverage when mounted beneath the helicopter fuselage for all round surveillance , target acquisition and tracking. so they mounted the FLIR onto a gimbal, and rigged it up so that the focal plane (the eye) could be swiveled in the desired direction along the entire 360 degree arc.

plz note gimbal-mounted imaging system is same as gimbal-mounted FLIR.

these are usually mounted on SAR , scout and observation helicopters , helicopters with secondary light attack role etc.

basically everything depends on the operator/user requirement.there is no hard and steadfast rule here.

i was kind of confused with ur question.
plz feel free to ask again.
others plz chip in grin

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:02pm On Jun 26, 2016
nemesis2u:

FLIR stands for Forward Looking Infra Red because initially it was utilized in fighter aircraft's and positioned below the fuselage just below the cockpit region or there about. this configuration was ok for aircraft's because it lined up with the aircraft's nose and weapon release flight path . so it was utilized for CAS missions . later on IRST a much capable derivative of FLIR was brought out which functioned in air to air and air to ground modes besides offering other advantages over FLIR systems, until under-slung more powerful specialized EO/FLIR based pods like sniper, lightening etc came into play.

but in helicopters requirement was for 360 degree coverage when mounted beneath the helicopter fuselage for all round surveillance , target acquisition and tracking. so they mounted the FLIR onto a gimbal, and rigged it up so that the focal plane (the eye) could be swiveled in the desired direction along the entire 360 degree arc.

plz note gimbal-mounted imaging system is same as gimbal-mounted FLIR.

these are usually mounted on SAR , scout and observation helicopters , helicopters with secondary light attack role etc.

basically everything depends on the operator/user requirement.there is no hard and steadfast rule here.

i was kind of confused with ur question.
plz feel free to ask again.
others plz chip in grin

Nop don't be confused.

You just answered my question. Yeap u r the MAN!!!!!!!!!

Tnks prof... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:36am On Jun 27, 2016
1 DIVISION NIGERIAN ARMY TROOPS CARRY OUT ARMED BANDITS CLEARANCE PATROLS IN ZAMFARA STATE

Troops of 223 Battalion, 1 Brigade under the auspices of Operation SHARAN DAJI of 1 Division Nigerian Army, today carried out fighting patrol to Kabaru village forest, Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara against cattle rustlers and armed bandits. During the patrol, the troops engaged armed bandits and killed 3 of them and wounded some. The troops recovered 20 motorcycles, 4 empty cases of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition and 4 empty cases of 7.62mm (NATO) ammunition. Other items recovered include 1 mobile telephone handset, some rings and a bag containing local charms.

The troops also carried out similar operation at in forests at Kusa, Bayan Dutse and Gusami general area in Birnin Magaji Local Government Area of the same state. Although no armed bandit was killed, it is believed some of them have escaped with gun shot wounds. The troops however made the following recovery; 1 AK-47 rifle, 1 AK-47 rifle magazine, 13 rounds of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition, 2 motorcycles, 4 rustled cows and a machete. The troops also apprehended a suspected errand boy and informants to the armed bandits at Gusami village.

Thereafter, the patrol team proceeded to Maganawa forest where they equally engaged the armed bandits and killed one of them and recovered 1 locally made pistol, a Dane Gun and 5 rounds of ammunition before returning to base.

Thank you for your kind cooperation.

Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman
Acting Director Army Public Relations
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:25am On Jun 27, 2016
#CION PICTURES..

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:59am On Jun 27, 2016
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:03am On Jun 27, 2016
NAF ‎GRADUATES 10 PILOT STUDENTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOw-BQBld6I
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 27, 2016
Nigeria to acquire 10 training aircraft from Pakistan

ow.ly/dnhk301Fkew
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 4:53pm On Jun 27, 2016
IbnSultaan:
Nigeria to acquire 10 training aircraft from Pakistan

ow.ly/dnhk301Fkew
ibn dun Allah ka sair link ma korie
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 5:54pm On Jun 27, 2016
giles14:
ibn dun Allah ka sair link ma korie

Meaning/interpretation....pls..... grin shocked
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
#AFSF/FRONTLINES/CION PICTURES..

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Hulu(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.