Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,439 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (2008) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3029246 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 2:37pm On Sep 25, 2021
youghs:

Foot patrol?? Do you think borno is some kind of a community or a local government. This guys patrol 30km and above, how on earth do you cover that on foot. The dreaded Maiduguri-monguno road is almost the same In distance as lagos-ibadan expressway.

No one expects patrols to cover all of Borno State, I for one thought that patrols are held in areas the military believe the enemy is extraordinarily active. For long stretches of roads, as you describe Maiduguri-monguno road that is presumably flanked by concealing vegetations, why would military vehicles prowl slowly along it, especially unprotected military vehicles and given the history of ambushes in the area?

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stormtrooper11(m): 4:21pm On Sep 25, 2021
WoeBetide666:

Please get out of here, idiot. If not for the military would you open your wide mouth and be typing typing this trash in the comfort of your home. Go to Borno and ask them about Buhari tUrNiNg NiGeRiAnS AgAiNsT tHe MiLiTaRy
Verdammt. Please, you shouldn't have insulted him.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2021
Litmus:

No one expects patrols to cover all of Borno State, I for one thought that patrols are held in areas the military believe the enemy is extraordinarily active. For long stretches of roads, as you describe Maiduguri-monguno road that is presumably flanked by concealing vegetations, why would military vehicles prowl slowly along it, especially unprotected military vehicles and given the history of ambushes in the area?

You will move slowly simply because you're not only looking out for ambushes but also IEDs.

And for clarification, your speed doesn't really matter if an ambush is waiting for you. The only thing that can save you in an ambush is protected vehicles and/or situational awareness.

7 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by DaddyGoo: 5:41pm On Sep 25, 2021
Fynline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcJhbcyy59A

NAF fleet recap

12M346-FA signed for.

12 M346-FA awaiting approval, according to the Ministry of Defence man

Could that be the 140 billion in the supplementary budget?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralFarouq: 6:42pm On Sep 25, 2021
Litmus:

Foot patrol supported with vehicles is best...
The soldiers drop extra load in vehicles and rotate every hour...
And like you said, patrol doenst have to cover the entire maiduguri...
And
Wyhem15:

And it takes about 1 hr to walk 5kms... This is decent and could even be increased since their heavy gears are supposed to be in vehicles with their teammates waiting to be rotated

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by RiceProducers: 6:42pm On Sep 25, 2021
DaddyGoo:

12M346-FA signed for.

12 M346-FA awaiting approval, according to the Ministry of Defence man

Could that be the 140 billion in the supplementary budget?

Yes now.
Maybe a delivery of six jets this year.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by JOSCOFELIX: 7:38pm On Sep 25, 2021
RiceProducers:

Yes now.
Maybe a delivery of six jets this year.
m346 fa is not a new order it was sign by the former CAS . I think the money was got through security vote money. Nobody no sha
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Cannonleo(m): 8:10pm On Sep 25, 2021
Cannonleo:
Abeg when is NAF going to write the DSSC exams , been waiting for news on that
ahhh can I get an answer on this

please

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EricBraven: 8:36pm On Sep 25, 2021
Odunayaw:
Especially an IED ambush. The first seconds of an ambush record the highest fatalities

I'd suggest better route planning, better contingency plans & mounted patrol drills
Route planning, mounted patrol using mrap
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 8:37pm On Sep 25, 2021
Cannonleo:
ahhh can I get an answer on this

please
no updates boss
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EricBraven: 8:41pm On Sep 25, 2021
GeneralFarouq:

why don't thier friend in the other vehicles come back to help them... Then secondly... 20 soldiers .. that tells us about 3 to 4 vehicles were simultaneously attacked ..if Rich4gold suggestion was implemented such damage wouldn't have been feasible.
Getting three vehicles in an ambush depends on planning and timing.
They not picking their friends may be because in an ambush you are not expected to stop. You fight your way out immediately.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EricBraven: 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2021
Whyem15:
Foot patrols isn't practical in the northeast as these guys cover as much as 50-80km per day. Borno state is very wide and wild, with settlements far from each other, for example the distance between Marte and Dikwa is close to 40km and that's among the shortest routes, it will take forever to patrol on foot and most of the time the purpose for the patrols is to ensure safety of commuters on the roads and to also protect supply routes as the strategy adopted by the military has isolated settlements in a way that supply routes need to be constantly protected.

As has been suggested on this forum several times, there need to be significant distances between vehicles in a convoy so as to avoid the whole convoy getting into ambush at once. This way, the other vehicles can either pull back or move faster towards the ambushed portion of the patrol to help out whenever there is an ambush but this can only work out where there is effective communication. The whole convoy could still be ambushed if the terrorists spread themselves out enough and can communicate and coordinate themselves into attacking multiple parts of the convoy at once, they can break the convoy into several units that they can pick on separately.
Sending scout parties on high speed bikes could help regarding this.

We should also look at increasing the number of armored vehicles in each convoy. This will give some of the troops enough confidence to collect themselves and try to salvage the situation.

Lastly, training on how to defend in ambush should be reinforced, it is very difficult for troops to remain calm and collected during ambush but with intense training, it will actually work a lot in their favor.
Training will help but when you are on guard or off guard and you hear the first bang, disorder takes places. First human reaction.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralFarouq: 9:12pm On Sep 25, 2021
EricBraven:

Getting three vehicles in an ambush depends on planning and timing.
They not picking their friends may be because in an ambush you are not expected to stop. You fight your way out immediately.
Such doctrine wouldl be bad for morale, and trust amongst team.members
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EricBraven: 9:38pm On Sep 25, 2021
GeneralFarouq:

Such doctrine wouldl be bad for morale, and trust amongst team.members
Yeah it would,but that is why using mrap should be a priority. The other team that escape the ambush,is also using a light skin vehicle,coming back for a team mate without proper planning or Intel may cripple the while team.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nemesis4you: 9:59pm On Sep 25, 2021
I generally don't make this kind of mistakes but i did

And my apologies

13 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by RiceProducers: 10:02pm On Sep 25, 2021
Nemesis4you:
Naf tucano cockpit

Courtesy : undercover agent aka cameraman grin

Look at that view of the battle space. Very ergonomic. Less pilot workload and there is a second pilot to share the work

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 11:16pm On Sep 25, 2021
Nemesis4you:
Naf tucano cockpit

@ugo4u

A beauty indeed and delight in the air, truly it's the direct competitor/replacement of the A-10s....

I will shag her soon God's grace.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 26, 2021
Nemesis4you:
Naf tucano cockpit

@ugo4u

That’s a Short Tucano T1, uk built EMB-312 tucano.
Not a NAF bird.

6 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 12:54am On Sep 26, 2021
iblawi:

And NN needed LPD not LST.
Why do you think so?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 2:45am On Sep 26, 2021
Odunayaw:

Why do you think so?
LST too small jare. Deployment to Gambia open their Yansh well and they saw how irrelevant they were as a naval force. Even deployment of OPV for such operation doesn't speak well of them. NN decided to go for LST first due to cost of procurement and LPD will also need protection of frigate.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Tobiloba24072: 7:30am On Sep 26, 2021
Please I would like to know, is the operation in the north west making appreciable impacts? And what can be done to accelerate the improvement of security in the region.
Please if you are going to talk about the impact of the operation say what you feel is based on high level of certainty, don't bring the usual guess work that most people do here , trying to pass it as if they are on the ground.
If you're on the ground in the north west, have family there, travelled there, neighbours talking about the impact and so on.....please not scenarios your mind is playing and telling you it's the truth in your head.
I'm asking this, because a lot of news outlets are saying it's not making impacts and they interview locals who aren't too impressed,though the locals seems to be biased based on their locality, and don't seem to be informed of the bigger picture.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nemesis4you: 9:34am On Sep 26, 2021
jakeporeshenko:

That’s a Short Tucano T1, uk built EMB-312 tucano.
Not a NAF bird.

Sorry, will take it down

I should have double checked given the "source" on twitter

Should have known better

Anyways how you doing ?

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 11:13am On Sep 26, 2021
Nemesis4you:

Sorry, will take it down

I should have double checked given the "source" on twitter

Should have known better

Anyways how you doing ?

grin grin grin this guy
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by JOSCOFELIX: 12:14pm On Sep 26, 2021
RiceProducers:

Could you please expatiate more on this. Was it a senate committee that approved or the entire senate?. Is it going into 2022/2023 budget or is it a one off project vote?
sorry sir i just check my mention. Sorry for not replying.it was pass by the senate. It is meant to generate fund for procurement and training of nigeria navy and blue project. For now i dont know if it will go into the 2022 budget .but i will search for info from source
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 1:03pm On Sep 26, 2021
iblawi:

LST too small jare. Deployment to Gambia open their Yansh well and they saw how irrelevant they were as a naval force. Even deployment of OPV for such operation doesn't speak well of them. NN decided to go for LST first due to cost of procurement and LPD will also need protection of frigate.
In my opinion, a LPD is overkill for the gulf of Guinea. The capability it'd add is not worth the strain it'd put on NN's budget.

Twin LSTs are just about fine for our medium force projection. I hope the 2nd LST is the longer LST120 or they stick with LST100 and increase its displacement

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 2:19pm On Sep 26, 2021
Odunayaw:
In my opinion, a LPD is overkill for the gulf of Guinea. The capability it'd add is not worth the strain it'd put on NN's budget.

Twin LSTs are just about fine for our medium force projection. I hope the 2nd LST is the longer LST120 or they stick with LST100 and increase its displacement

Baba here is the link for LST 120 which is even bigger than LST 100 Nigeria place order for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCTPSoaUtwk

I swear LST 100 no go carry anything serious.

compare with this LPD of small/moderate size made by Indonasia for Philippines. Makassar-class landing platform dock. The ships can carry up a Philippine Marine Battalion Landing Team (MBLT) with up to 500 fully armed marines and their vehicles and equipment, and carries two small landing craft utilities (LCU) with it. It has a helicopter deck capable of accommodating 2 12-ton helicopters, as well as a hangar for 1 helicopter. The ships are expected to be installed with additional weapons and improved sensor systems.
Displacement:
11,583 tons full load
Length:
123 metres (404 ft)
Complement:
121 + attached aircrew
500 Marines Propulsion:
Combined Diesel and Diesel (CODAD)
Maximum speed:
16 knots (30 km/h; 18 mph)
Range:
9,360 nautical miles (17,330 km; 10,770 mi) 8 × Browning M2HB .50 caliber heavy machine guns Aviation:
2-spot helicopter deck
Boats Carried:
2 × LCU in well deck
2 × RHIB at boat davits
Vehicle Deck:
2,800 tons of vehicles & cargo inc. 4 × AAVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQT0hfglno

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Fynline(m): 2:45pm On Sep 26, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDYJkhZtfm4

It appears Proforce is building a smaller MRAP PF Viper

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 3:16pm On Sep 26, 2021
Fynline:

PF Viper should be the standard vehicle for Nigerian Army. Just as the Humvee is for USA.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 3:19pm On Sep 26, 2021
iblawi:

Baba here is the link for LST 120 which is even bigger than LST 100 Nigeria place order for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCTPSoaUtwk

I swear LST 100 no go carry anything serious.

compare with this LPD of small/moderate size made by Indonasia for Philippines. Makassar-class landing platform dock. The ships can carry up a Philippine Marine Battalion Landing Team (MBLT) with up to 500 fully armed marines and their vehicles and equipment, and carries two small landing craft utilities (LCU) with it. It has a helicopter deck capable of accommodating 2 12-ton helicopters, as well as a hangar for 1 helicopter. The ships are expected to be installed with additional weapons and improved sensor systems.
Displacement:
11,583 tons full load
Length:
123 metres (404 ft)
Complement:
121 + attached aircrew
500 Marines Propulsion:
Combined Diesel and Diesel (CODAD)
Maximum speed:
16 knots (30 km/h; 18 mph)
Range:
9,360 nautical miles (17,330 km; 10,770 mi) 8 × Browning M2HB .50 caliber heavy machine guns Aviation:
2-spot helicopter deck
Boats Carried:
2 × LCU in well deck
2 × RHIB at boat davits
Vehicle Deck:
2,800 tons of vehicles & cargo inc. 4 × AAVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQT0hfglno
Yes, I remember how much we wished for the Makassar on Beeg's blog in those days grin

But it's like buying a convertible car in rainy season. It'd be used sparingly
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 3:20pm On Sep 26, 2021
Fynline:

I talked about a 9ton version of the Ara...
Well this is it
Nice Development

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 3:27pm On Sep 26, 2021
Xbee007:

PF Viper should be the standard vehicle for Nigerian Army. Just as the Humvee is for USA.

APCs should fit that role with a reasonable quantity of MRAP. Maybe ration 3:1.
Proforce has nice APCs, even if it is the uparmored versions of the hilux to start with.
Making MRAP the standard will be too expensive and if we are being frank, the Army doesn't have such funds, especially when you consider their other needs like tanks, artilleries, fire support vehicles etc, the other corps such as engineering and signals also need heavy funding.
Also, I have heard rumors of troops complaining that the Ara is too heavy and too slow but 17tons, a max speed of 96km/hr (the guy in the video claimed Ara is 15tons with max speed of 110km but the website claims 17tons) , and an engine capacity of 400hp,is it too heavier or slower than most MRAPs in its class?
And mind you, Ara has Stanag level 3a and 3b ballistic and 4a and 4b mine protection.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 3:38pm On Sep 26, 2021
Now that it seems the Navy has secured constant funding with the current bill being passed in the national assembly, I pray the next administration will focus more on the Army.
The airforce has got most of their urgent needs catered for if we are being honest, they just need. They just need more helos, transport aircrafts and UAVs. Then they can start focusing on dedicated aircrafts in the long run.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.