Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,235 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st (4945 Views)

Evacuation Of Abandoned Vehicles On Lagos Roads To Commence July 1 / FRSC Releases Guidelines For July 1st Enforcement Of Psychiatric Test / Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by aaidel(m): 2:21am On Apr 19, 2015
themodernman:

Have you been reading his post on this topic lately? He's just one of those guys that did their best to break into US or wherever they may be & feel like they're ontop of the world giving them the unrightful right to spew any crap that gets into their head....

They feel the way things are achieved there is directly applicable here...they call anybody here names who doesn't agree to their ideals...even as a Medical Doctor I know there are Tropical Dx dat we approach differently from the way they're abroad...which makes it Unique to us in its treatment.

You have done the right thing by taken his words with a pinch of Salt...let him continue raving mad as he likes shouting "i don't give a shyte" up and down...we know his type he might probably be hussling his azz out over there to make ends meet...when serious people like you & me get there we can't behave like kids...its his type that ends up in d hands of Xenophobes cheesy

yes sadly a lot of us are crazy but not all of us are medicated
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by aaidel(m): 2:26am On Apr 19, 2015
CityNG:

That's the mistake most of the dunces on here make. This is a freaking online forum, it's not a church or anybody's fathers house and I simply pity the mindless drones that take things personally on here. I have nothing but disdain for those troglodytes.

Now that being said, I hope you're not thinking that taking me seriously or not has any effect on my life. You're simply a userid that I pass the time against. no more no less so don;t get it twisted. You're a nobody.

President Buhari will make all of us progressive Nigerians proud and make the harsh decisions necessary to leap us ahead. The new Nigeria has no sympathy for backwards thinkers and I am sure he will indeed surround himself by the caliber roof people he had when he was last in power.

seems you are the only one taking things personally here good thing is that in a democracy the opinions of the dunces count just as much as the opinions of the likes of you and unlike you i really see no point in going into our offline persona's your opinion is yours and you are entitled to it as much as i am entitled to mine but just a word of advice though you would benefit a lot from counseling or maybe even some medication ensure you visit your psychiatrist as soon as possible i am sure you have them over there cheers.
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by themodernman: 9:12pm On Apr 19, 2015
aaidel:

seems you are the only one taking things personally here good thing is that in a democracy the opinions of the dunces count just as much as the opinions of the likes of you and unlike you i really see no point in going into our offline persona's your opinion is yours and you are entitled to it as much as i am entitled to mine but just a word of advice though you would benefit a lot from counseling or maybe even some medication ensure you visit your psychiatrist as soon as possible i am sure you have them over there cheers.

Oh boy...you for tell am in Private nah cheesy
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by FlyboyZee: 7:35am On Apr 20, 2015
I bow for Nigerians o.
Na we go first run go South Africa, say things no dey work for Naija...
Na we go first run go dry UK, say things are difficult in Naija...
Na we go first emigrate to US, say life no be am for Naija...

Now, come to think of it...
If the Americans, the Britons and the South Africans had run away from their countries when things were hard, difficult, bad and unbearable, do you think they would have achieved the kind of societies, economies or development they have today?

At the end of every dark tunnel, there is light. Day breaks after the darkest hours of the night. Similarly, like those countries we are so quick to mention in order to score our beloved country low and portray our development in bad light. We have to stay back in our country to strive and fight to make things work by all means.

In my humble submission, we had it good back in the days when we were assembling cars in the country, there were good auto mechanics and electricians all around, second hand value of Nigerian-used cars were very good, body work and paint jobs were excellent, there was high accessibility to OEM parts, there was some local manufacturing of certain auto consumables such as batteries, brake pads, fluids, etc. During this period, electricity was also not stable and enough, Nigeria has been synonymous with bad roads since time immemorial, we had the same crop of leaders we are still recycling today, yet it was closer to Utopia.

Then, we moved on to the importation era (in which most of you against this new auto policy were born or came to know your left different from your right), where you feel we need all the electricity in Japan and US combined together just to run an assembly plant robot that could needs only 6 or 12v, where you reason that we could import cars both new and used for use on our bad roads, but needs to wait for good roads to be built first before we start assembling cars, where we have over 10 variants (fakes) ranging from Japan specs, American specs, China, Taiwan, etc for just one auto part, where good mechanics has become synonymous with scarcity, where ordinary everyday's auto fluids have become something you travel to another Town or City to buy, where body work and paint jobs seems like sending your vehicle to hell and back. Where Kazeems have become lords and know every vehicle more than its manufacturer. It is really a pity that we got to this stage.

And now, looking at the 2 scenarios, it is only logical and rational that the Government return back to the former ways as soon as possible, which is far better than the current import based system. But, alas! here we are complaining and proffering suggestions that would keep us forever in the doldrums and perpetually tie us to the apron strings of the so-called developed economies. Which way Nigeria? It is really a pity that Nigerian youths are reasoning like this. If we keep reasoning like these guys have been doing up here, then there is no hope for this country. We would continue to suffer, suffer and suffer even more...

1 Like

Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by andre82(m): 8:50am On Apr 20, 2015
Chai! Na so dem finish this guy for here. I don talk am say something dey terribly wrong with am b4 but nobody gree. Well, that settles that b4 some partial mods tries something stupidly funny. Themodernman, u try!
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by themodernman: 9:29am On Apr 20, 2015
andre82:
Chai! Na so dem finish this guy for here. I don talk am say something dey terribly wrong with am b4 but nobody gree. Well, that settles that b4 some partial mods tries something stupidly funny. Themodernman, u try!

No mind that guy jarey... cool
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by themodernman: 9:50am On Apr 20, 2015
FlyboyZee:
I bow for Nigerians o.
Na we go first run go South Africa, say things no dey work for Naija...
Na we go first run go dry UK, say things are difficult in Naija...
Na we go first emigrate to US, say life no be am for Naija...

Now, come to think of it...
If the Americans, the Britons and the South Africans had run away from their countries when things were hard, difficult, bad and unbearable, do you think they would have achieved the kind of societies, economies or development they have today?

At the end of every dark tunnel, there is light. Day breaks after the darkest hours of the night. Similarly, like those countries we are so quick to mention in order to score our beloved country low and portray our development in bad light. We have to stay back in our country to strive and fight to make things work by all means.

In my humble submission, we had it good back in the days when we were assembling cars in the country, there were good auto mechanics and electricians all around, second hand value of Nigerian-used cars were very good, body work and paint jobs were excellent, there was high accessibility to OEM parts, there was some local manufacturing of certain auto consumables such as batteries, brake pads, fluids, etc. During this period, electricity was also not stable and enough, Nigeria has been synonymous with bad roads since time immemorial, we had the same crop of leaders we are still recycling today, yet it was closer to Utopia.

Then, we moved on to the importation era (in which most of you against this new auto policy were born or came to know your left different from your right), where you feel we need all the electricity in Japan and US combined together just to run an assembly plant robot that could needs only 6 or 12v, where you reason that we could import cars both new and used for use on our bad roads, but needs to wait for good roads to be built first before we start assembling cars, where we have over 10 variants (fakes) ranging from Japan specs, American specs, China, Taiwan, etc for just one auto part, where good mechanics has become synonymous with scarcity, where ordinary everyday's auto fluids have become something you travel to another Town or City to buy, where body work and paint jobs seems like sending your vehicle to hell and back. Where Kazeems have become lords and know every vehicle more than its manufacturer. It is really a pity that we got to this stage.

And now, looking at the 2 scenarios, it is only logical and rational that the Government return back to the former ways as soon as possible, which is far better than the current import based system. But, alas! here we are complaining and proffering suggestions that would keep us forever in the doldrums and perpetually tie us to the apron strings of the so-called developed economies. Which way Nigeria? It is really a pity that Nigerian youths are reasoning like this. If we keep reasoning like these guys have been doing up here, then there is no hope for this country. We would continue to suffer, suffer and suffer even more...

Bro I feel every bit of what you saying, nobody is saying we shouldn't produce...what we're saying is we shouldn't be so fast to close our borders just yet...drastic & aggressive actions usually end up with huge consequences.

I beg to differ where you said we didn't have good electricity during our oeriodnof assembling vehicles...our Refineries were most likely in top shape then which would have provided enough gas to produce Electricity not now that they're all defunct...China that are sudden Manufacturing giants borrowed less money from IMF than we did and they have a world class working Power plant today. We on the other hand have been seeing our Refinery repair as a means for each incoming govt to embezzle money...as I said the repair & functionality of our Refineries alone will solve Nigeria's problems by 15% if not more...but the cabals will never allow it...some ppls wealth come from d continued dilapidation of those refineries. And now they wanna increase the burden by adding manufacturing to it....then population of Nigeria during assembling era that needed electricity can't be compared to today where almost every tom, dick & harry needs it.

What should be done is to allow the importation continue & gradually infuse the Nigerian made cars into the market system then use that time to begin providing alternate means of transportation for people the policy might not favour and then when this is done they can go for the kill by shutting the borders...this is what a government that really cares for its people will do...life has gotten more sophisticated than doing things in a drastic & aggressive manner...things dont work that way man...
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by 9icetoo(m): 11:17am On Apr 20, 2015
themodernman:

Bro I feel every bit of what you saying, nobody is saying we shouldn't produce...what we're saying is we shouldn't be so fast to close our borders just yet...drastic & aggressive actions usually end up with huge consequences.

[b]I beg to differ where you said we didn't have good electricity during our oeriodnof assembling vehicles...our Refineries were most likely in top shape then which would have provided enough gas to produce Electricity not now that they're all defunct...[/b]China that are sudden Manufacturing giants borrowed less money from IMF than we did and they have a world class working Power plant today. We on the other hand have been seeing our Refinery repair as a means for each incoming govt to embezzle money...as I said the repair & functionality of our Refineries alone will solve Nigeria's problems by 15% if not more...but the cabals will never allow it...some ppls wealth come from d continued dilapidation of those refineries. And now they wanna increase the burden by adding manufacturing to it....then population of Nigeria during assembling era that needed electricity can't be compared to today where almost every tom, dick & harry needs it.

What should be done is to allow the importation continue & gradually infuse the Nigerian made cars into the market system then use that time to begin providing alternate means of transportation for people the policy might not favour and then when this is done they can go for the kill by shutting the borders...this is what a government that really cares for its people will do...life has gotten more sophisticated than doing things in a drastic & aggressive manner...things dont work that way man...
Refineries do not produce gas in enough quantities to power a turbine which can be hooked to the national grid. Gas plants, separate associate gas and non associate gas gas, transmits them to gas processing stations like LNG bonny where they are further treated to meet certain specification and then either liquefied or transmitted to gas stations like egbim or alaoji gas turbine where the turbines turn the gas to electricity. Our refineries have no business with our power generation. They are not power generating plants.
Once again, we have started assembly, Nissan has rolled out made in Nigeria vehicle, volkswagen will follow suit soon, peugeot is still rolling them out, Toyota will join soon. They will thrive when we protect them from unfair competition coming from second hand (stolen, clocked, undesirable,) dumps we have in Nigeria. Mind you, the policy does not stop you from importing, it levels the playing field by making foreign second hand cars less attractive financially. You will also notice you pay less duty when you import a brand new car but you pay next to nothing when you import parts for vehicle assembly. That is the summary of the new auto policy. I wonder why you are so up in arms against it. I for one am loving it.
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by emekarl4u: 11:33am On Apr 20, 2015
God is watching......... in Nigeria SOUTH PEOPLE is staying here peacefully no trouble and they go about killing our people over their and their so call president is not saying any thing rather surport them. I say agin GOD IS ABOVE WATCH..AND HE THAT KILL BY KNIFE WILL ALSO DIE BY KNIFE period.
May the soul of those that die rest in perfect peace.AMEN.
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by FlyboyZee: 5:04pm On Apr 20, 2015
themodernman:

I beg to differ where you said we didn't have good electricity during our oeriodnof assembling vehicles...our Refineries were most likely in top shape then which would have provided enough gas to produce Electricity not now that they're all defunct...China that are sudden Manufacturing giants borrowed less money from IMF than we did and they have a world class working Power plant today. We on the other hand have been seeing our Refinery repair as a means for each incoming govt to embezzle money...as I said the repair & functionality of our Refineries alone will solve Nigeria's problems by 15% if not more...but the cabals will never allow it...some ppls wealth come from d continued dilapidation of those refineries. And now they wanna increase the burden by adding manufacturing to it....then population of Nigeria during assembling era that needed electricity can't be compared to today where almost every tom, dick & harry needs it.

Well! Well!! Well!!!
As far as I can remember, the Nigerian Government has been announcing this auto policy fir sometime now, shifting and shifting the proposed date of implementation so that people can adjust. Rather than adjusting, we are there casting aspersions and throwing blames on refineries, gas plants, electricity supply and the baba himself, CORRUPTION. All I'm saying is that even in the face of all these daunting challenges, we cannot get to el dorado before creating a paradise for ourselves. We have to create our own paradise by sacrifices, hard work, perseverance and belt-tightening in order to achieve el dorado.

Almost all brand new Hondas and Toyotas we buy and use in Nigeria are manufactured in South Africa. Our youths then pursue these jobs we have succeeded in creating in South Africa to South Africa and they start killing us there that we are taking over their jobs. If we start assembly/manufacturing of cars, the market available to SA would diminish, jobs there to would diminish and our youths may not face xenophobic attacks in SA because we would have succeeded in creating more jobs and market for reasonable enterprise to thrive. I'm speaking from the view point of a development economist...

1 Like

Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by themodernman: 5:38pm On Apr 20, 2015
FlyboyZee:

Well! Well!! Well!!!
As far as I can remember, the Nigerian Government has been announcing this auto policy fir sometime now, shifting and shifting the proposed date of implementation so that people can adjust. Rather than adjusting, we are there casting aspersions and throwing blames on refineries, gas plants, electricity supply and the baba himself, CORRUPTION. All I'm saying is that even in the face of all these daunting challenges, we cannot get to el dorado before creating a paradise for ourselves. We have to create our own paradise by sacrifices, hard work, perseverance and belt-tightening in order to achieve el dorado.

Almost all brand new Hondas and Toyotas we buy and use in Nigeria are manufactured in South Africa. Our youths then pursue these jobs we have succeeded in creating in South Africa to South Africa and they start killing us there that we are taking over their jobs. If we start assembly/manufacturing of cars, the market available to SA would diminish, jobs there to would diminish and our youths may not face xenophobic attacks in SA because we would have succeeded in creating more jobs and market for reasonable enterprise to thrive. I'm speaking from the view point of a development economist...

You are right by saying Nigeria has been announcing the auto policy shift...but thats all they do...they'll only announce policies that'll unsettle ppl but do nothing to mitigate such effects thats why people will continue to cast aspersions as to dr lack of "Ubuntu" in ALL dr policies.....

Asking for alternative & adequate means of transportation to be fully on ground which is actually ongoing with the railway transformation (even tho they still embezzled funds to buy old school 2nd hand locomotives); functioning refineries to power our gas plants while the Manufacturing goes on is not too much to ask-so its no el dorado...its just the logical & humane thing any responsible & mature government will do.

Someone talked about Rickety danfoes & molues ppl will have to resort to...even the BRTs will become congested & overwhelmed...

You made mention of just 12v of electricity for Production, I dunno how feasible that is as what I know is dat Manufacturing of such dimension will require a great deal of electricity.

After the right things av been put in place to a considerable degree then we can fully implement the ban which will be most welcomed & won't be met with much resistance as it is now.

Lets learn to do the Right things the Right way.
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by themodernman: 5:46pm On Apr 20, 2015
FlyboyZee:

Well! Well!! Well!!!

As a development Economist I will fault this method of yours with all due respect for the reasons I've just stated...its just like starving yourself to achieve an aim financially. One may not be alive to witness its frution...imagine the accidents, untold & unnecessary hardship people will experience as a backlash of such policy....

Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by FlyboyZee: 7:59pm On Apr 20, 2015
themodernman:

As a development Economist I will fault this method of yours with all due respect for the reasons I've just stated...its just like starving yourself to achieve an aim financially. One may not be alive to witness its frution...imagine the accidents, untold & unnecessary hardship people will experience as a backlash of such policy....

The rationale NOI (FG) IMHO is trying to adopt is a simple economic model.

Create scarcity in order to increase market demand which would in turn stimulate production so that producers would strive to supply so much as to fill the vacuum created by the scarcity, hence creating employment, revenue, specialization, etc...
Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by themodernman: 8:39pm On Apr 20, 2015
FlyboyZee:

Create scarcity in order to increase market demand which would in turn stimulate production so that producers would strive to supply so much as to fill the vacuum created by the scarcity, hence creating employment, revenue, specialization, etc...

It's still the same we're saying bro...its d aggressive path which we know doesn't work for Nigeria...mention any which has...removal of subsidy? None has worked..slow & steady always wins d race...

The agricultural reform was only a huge success because we already had enough farm produce(alternative), we just needed the ban to enforce its acceptability. Not where we're even lacking in d adequate wherewithal to Manufacture coupled with few alternatives.

Such a policy is dead on arrival bro.

1 Like

Re: Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st by aaidel(m): 2:44am On Apr 21, 2015
FlyboyZee:

in this case creation of scarcity will only further drive up costs and inflation in an earlier post you mentioned we don't need electricity or any other structures to start production of cars what this simply means is that the cost of production will be very high as manufacturers will have to provide their own amenities which then defeats the purpose of your policy and will only open up markets for smugglers imagine if a nigerian produced car is 5-7 million brand new but you can get a better spec'ed one from the us for 3 million how is such a market sustainable at the current wages nigerian workers receive how long before they are able to afford such cars? and this is even without touching on the issue of specifications and safety features which we already know the made for Nigeria market cars lack.
in my own opinion this policy will work out great if we have the proper legislation backing and also the proper backbone that will make the production costs low and the prices competitive especially in our own local market not to say it cannot work in its present guise but the hardship that will come along with it will be much not to mention the multiplier effect on almost every sector of the nigerian society

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Introducing The Latest 2017 Toyota Corolla – See Specs And Price / Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. / Benz C240 Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.