Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? (51206 Views)

Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car / The Time A Car Cost N3,984 In Nigeria In 1982 (Photos) / Python Chilling In A Car Bonnet In Awka (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by karimcarim(m): 7:06am On Jan 19, 2019
I need a clean & Good working Toyota Corolla sport or Camry Envelope to buy. Kindly contact me if u have any one to sell.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by hayfloze(m): 7:19am On Jan 19, 2019
Since 2015, 4 years ago.... this post just made front page.

Moderator, na wa o

Can the OP share his experience on what happened afterwards?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by paulpery: 7:21am On Jan 19, 2019
Buy land, not car. Land will appreciate, but car depreciates, a liability.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by mustybobo(m): 7:34am On Jan 19, 2019
Dude, you are not helping this guy at all. Or maybe I should ask you, is car maintenance limited to just servicing d car?
You spend more when you drive than using commercial vehicle.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by allenog(m): 7:44am On Jan 19, 2019
They may have other source of income aside their salary which you
may not know.

I was surprised too, some people earn less and still use and maintain cars[/quote]
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by sewa36447(m): 7:52am On Jan 19, 2019
Please i disagree with this analysis. What if the Engine develop fault? what if the shock got bad? Servicing and Break pad is not the only thing that eat money in the Car. Infant,it is the least.

Someone said fuel of N2500 will be enough one Week, if 2.5k fuel will serve him weekly,that means his house to work is less than 5km.

Car is very good to minimize stress and soon rain will start but car yearly Maintenance is more than 100k.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by CarGuidNG: 7:56am On Jan 19, 2019
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by kareemkamil(m): 7:56am On Jan 19, 2019
Why not, you will be saving 100k monthly, then you will afford a car
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 8:14am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:
Hi Guys

I have a job and i earn 100k per month and i am thinking of getting a car(been on the job for a bit), but i am planning maybe year ending, i want some advise from my good people in the house if it would be advisable.

P.S - i dont have much responsiblity at the moment i am 25 and i am also bettering myself with some certifications.

Thanks as you advise and not insult me, lol

Please can this topic get to front page? thanks

Yeah, you can - after much savings and you won't regret it.

In your getting, go for a toyota brand. Very very durable and very few trips to the mechanic.

Your personal car will save you from being beaten by heavy rain, waiting at bus terminals for looong hours, trekking, staining your clothes, sitting with very dirty people, being a victim of one chance and all the nonsense going on in nigeria and guess what? You will save more money.

Best of luck.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Oluwasanmi18: 8:20am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:

I spend like 18k on transport and feeding monthly, my office is close to where i stay and i still stay with my folks and i can comfortably save 60k monthly

Hope that's enough
broo......life soft fr u oooooo.....

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Fidelismaria: 8:24am On Jan 19, 2019
grin grin

4year old thread

This thread is older than my cousin

Lol

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by gentlegenius(m): 8:29am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:

So basically everybody that has a car earns more than 100k, is married or has investments??
If you want to be successful in life, don't compare yourself with others... Apart from the marriage part, I support the investment advice that guy gave you. Marriage isn't a good advice for you at this age. you can still do more with your life and money at this stage of your life. Having a 100k job with no investment is not a reason to start buying Liabilities just because other people are buying same. Have you ever imagined what will become of you if unfortunately you loose that job? People are loosing their Jobs everyday in this country especially in this buhari regime.
So, now that you still have that job, see it as an opportunity to invest for your future long term financial success. There are 3 classes of people in life: The rich, the poor, and the comfortable. Right now you are comfortable. If you have any dream of becoming Rich, then start now to acquire assets instead of Liabilities. A car that won't fetch you money is a huge liability.
My advice for you is this... Invest in a business or buy an asset that will produce steady cash flow for you, so that you'll have additional source of income to your job. The more sources of income you have, the more financially secured you are. You can use the cash flow from your investment to comfortably buy a car or any other liability of your choice. This is the mentality of the Rich. Embrace this mindset if you want to be Rich.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by firstolalekan(m): 8:30am On Jan 19, 2019
Yankee101:
Save the money for the car and fix it in treasury bills.

Don't think about a car below 300k salary

Unless if you're married with kids and public transport might be unweildy
You people just make silly assumptions on what you know nothing about.
How much interest do you think is on so-called treasury bill per annum?
You think it's like MMM abi?

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Unik3030: 8:42am On Jan 19, 2019
nurey:

100k can't maintain a car, I disagree with this, a car isn't necessarily be seen as a luxury, but as a means of making life easier. If you spend close to #500 a day for transport come on for a week its #2500 even that I can use for close to a week on a V6 3.0L, I magine if the op was driving a corolla with 1.6L engine or 1.8L engine it will make a lot of sense.

How much does it cost to service a car in a year theoretically
Engine oil 12K x 3
Filter let's say 2K x 3
Brakepads 24k for a year all legs
Miscellaneous 20k
Total for a year 86,000
And you would have earned 1.2m in a year remove the maintenance from it u still have 1.1m to spend

Since I have been using my car for a year (clean title tokunbo) I have not even spent 50k on it for a year I just change oil twice in a year, filter, brakes and light bulbs.
God bless u for breaking it down for him, some people don't understand that at a certain stage in life car becomes a necessity in virtually everything u do

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by OOSmilling(m): 9:22am On Jan 19, 2019
@op, to my own cognizance go for anything dat willl give u joy and peace of mind, just be happy, if it is car, marriage, land, house, business etc just go for anything dat make u happy, life should'nt be a competition. I and my friends left nysc together, same state, started life together, manage in one room for lagos, we use to lap each other in d bus, sometimes we wait for molue to full and join standing, things were so hard. we did almost everything together, we went to d same school, ppl thought we are brothers, im from ondo state he is from Delta. Years later we left d Company we were working b4 nd got a better one with good pay but different coy. He decided to get married and build a house but i chose to buy a car, further my education, invest in bussiness etc so many times i lost in d business but i don't care . I didn't say bcs he had married and build a house there/4 i should follow suit. Life is not a competition. JUST GO FOR WOT UR SPIRIT LIKE AND BE HAPPY.

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by americaninja1: 9:28am On Jan 19, 2019
jibrilELsudan:
MY NIGGA, GO AHEAD AND BUY YOUR CAR AND STOP SEEKING THE OPINIONS OF PEOPLE. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. MAJORITY OF PEOPLE HERE WILL ADVISE YOU AGAINST BUYING A CAR CAUSE THEY JEALOUS AND WISH THEY HAD YOUR 100K JOB. THE SAME PEOPLE HERE SAYING YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN A CAR WITH YOUR SALARY ARE EARNING A FRACTION OF YOUR SALARY YET THEY GOT CARS, SOME DON'T EVEN HAVE A JOB TALK MORE OF SALARY YET THEY HAVE A CAR. SO DON'T LISTEN TO ANYBODY'S NONSENSE TALK, GO AHEAD AND BUY YOUR CAR. IF IT GETS SPOILT AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO FIX IT THEN YOU PARK IT TILL YOU CAN AFFORD THE REPAIR COST. HERE ABROAD WE DO THIS ALL THE TIME EVEN WHEN WE CAN AFFORD TO REPAIR IT. SOON THIS SAME PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU YOU CAN'T AFFORD A GIRLFRIEND WITH YOUR SALARY THAT YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ONE INSTEAD YOU SHOULD PATRONIZE ASHAWO ONCE A MONTH THAT ITS CHEAPER.
u killed it bro.. some can say girlfriend is a liability , it’s investment u need now, whereas dem no get job but have 3 girlfriends. Here in USA we c car as necessity, y must u suffer itself intentionally.. life is short my brother.. if u invest and lost everything will u die..

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 19, 2019
Yes, its enough to get you a passat. After all car na car.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by franklingud(m): 9:39am On Jan 19, 2019
Guy as an Igbo man, full blooded Igbo man that I am, I'd advice you to save money...
1. Invest in other areas like dry cleaning services
2. Buy keke napep and employ someone to be accounting for you every week, you could be making extra 20k weekly plus your monthly 100k making it 180k
3. Buy a mini bus of 700k and also employ someone to be accounting for you like 30k weekly.

Drops of water makes an ocean Bro, slowly you'll get there and before you know you'd have made millions of naira.

Still don't buy a car, save more money and build a house.

2 or 3 storey building, then you can flex any car you like. Before you reach 30 you have become a landlord.

Thank me later

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by americaninja1: 9:40am On Jan 19, 2019
emeijeh:
Lol
Op is now 29, cheesy
lol.. help us search for op o.. make he tell us d end of the story

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by gonkin(m): 9:43am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:

Thanks, A Honda Accord fits this bill right?

Hmm honda
This requires a great deal of maintenance cuz if u dont leg go pull. If its well maintained no problem and also use good oil cuz honda rings tend to wear out faster than Toyota.

1 other thing is you need to also have knowledge cuz these mechanics are killers too. You could just have a bad spark plug or a plug cable they would say its fuel pump. Some time it may be poor idling due to dirty o2 sensor they would say the valve is dying. Even bad tyres they would say you need to change this and that. So the more knowledge u have the cheaper for u.

I use an I-6 Landcruiser fj80 and it requires great deal of maintenance. I do it all myself. Both electrical and mechanical. Preventive maintenance keeps it going. Even had the mpg tuned to 17mpg. 0-60mph in 9.2 sec Pretty good for a big truck. Now I need tyres. Say 3 tyres and for toks its 15k and new from 36k i earn exactly 100 but due to knowledge i still save

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by noble71(m): 9:43am On Jan 19, 2019
4yrs thread. grin. This thread was created when Buhari was elected. grin I know by now OP for don buy car sef so no need for advice.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by zeestone99(m): 9:47am On Jan 19, 2019
Don't know about where you are talking about but here in lagos to enter transport to work cost approximately 500 but to fuel a car I will spend 1500 a day (residents of iyanoba to orile lagos can attest to this) So tell me, if I earn 100k and spending 1500×5, you tell me how much it is, the truth should be said, for a guy at his age and status car is a luxury to him, why not he saves that money or invest and when he can earn 150 or even 200 then he is good to afford such luxury

U try sef, my minimum is 3k.. 4 plugs pple dey enjoy, dis Lagos with holdup, if car spoil nko, hubs, Shocks, steering rack, tyrod, Shaft etc
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Emperorc95(m): 9:50am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:

I spend like 18k on transport and feeding monthly, my office is close to where i stay and i still stay with my folks and i can comfortably save 60k monthly

Hope that's enough

You still stay with your folks and your utmost priority is to get a car?? Brother first of all move out and get your own place, furnish it and start living there. When you pay house rent, nepa bill, subscribe DSTV, pay water bill, pay security levy, stock your house with foodstuffs then you will know that 100k salary is nothing in nigeria. Buying car won't even come into your mind again

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by justmi1: 10:28am On Jan 19, 2019
Hmmm, nice topic. I am at similar cross road as you, you can actually buy and maintain an average car with that salary but before you do ask yourself the following questions?
1. Can I do without the car?
2. Will this car slow down or hasten my financial progress?
3. Can I get a direct foreign used car that would give less issues ( if not na the car go drive you)
4. What if I lose my job or company shut down?
5. What if the car get destroyed in an accident ( God for bid) ?

As for me, I have kept buying a car on hold , i am using the money to fund a business plan that can buy me a better car within a year.

This is the best time to make quick moves in life, a car would slow you down now, while you feel you have arrived.

And mind you, not only car expenses would increase, when you have a car , you would like to hang out more, that's extra money going.

I doubt you can comfortably buy a car with less issues, so what's the point - you spend less on maintenance if the availability of the car is at least 80% and mean time between failure is high ( only engineers would understand this).
Cheers!!!
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by justmi1: 10:30am On Jan 19, 2019
hayfloze:
Since 2015, 4 years ago.... this post just made front page.

Moderator, na wa o

Can the OP share his experience on what happened afterwards?
OMG, Just wanted time typing an epistle, I didn't check the date, this moderator na yeye o

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Subomi007: 11:23am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:

So basically everybody that has a car earns more than 100k, is married or has investments??

I think you've concluded... Just go for the car, how you counter those that oppose you on the subject matter shows you don't need any further input.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by PAQ(m): 11:51am On Jan 19, 2019
With 100k salary you can definitely get and maintain a car. Way back 2006 my salary was 76k. 40k out of it was saved monthly, so i depended on 36k, not much but could still maintain my car, a Peugeot 405( i wasnt married then o! Family life can never allow such target savings). I was still able to upgrade to a Honda Babyboy in 2008.

With tight savings and prudent spending ur 100k salary will see u thru, besides apart from your salary one or two deals may come around to cushion the effect.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by gentlemayor(m): 11:55am On Jan 19, 2019
seunben:
With that salary u can maintain a car, in fact people who earn less maintain their cars with no hassles. All u need is to get a car that is not expensive to maintain. I think it is even better u get ur car before getting married or starting a family. Having a car does not stop u from saving or investing.

Good contribution, pls can you enlighten us that just want to start using a car some type of cars that are not expensive to maintain.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Meliian(f): 11:59am On Jan 19, 2019
Bossforeva:
buy land?? Did he say he is interested in Estate Development?

Which kind of savage response is this? Hahahahahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Meliian(f): 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:

U feel cool joining in someones car, fuel, AC, radio, comfort, but no owing yours??

You're wicked o. Hahahahahaha.....you have a way with sarcasm. Well done! Lol.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Olumyyde(m): 12:09pm On Jan 19, 2019
gentlemayor:

Good contribution, pls can you enlighten us that just want to start using a car some type of cars that are not expensive to maintain.
sent u a mail.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by castrol180(m): 12:14pm On Jan 19, 2019
This op must be 30 years now

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

6 Lies Nigerian Car Dealers Tell Prospective Buyers / 2019 Toyota Hiace Bus Unveiled (photos) / How Reliable Is Peugeot 607?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.