Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? (7489 Views)

General Murtala Mohammed's Burial And Corpse (Photos) / Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 / Pictures Of Murtala Mohammed International Terminal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Hunter(m): 1:23pm On May 13, 2005
Was Murtala Murhammad a good man?

Well this is something I'm not really familar with but I am wondering if Murtala Mohammed was actually a good and well respected person rather than just a military dictator.

It's very hard to find information on this so I thought here would be a good place to start.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by diakim(m): 10:41am On May 16, 2005
Difficult to say.

His regime was just too short that people remember him for the reforms he was trying to carry out. Maybe if he had lived longer, he would have turned into another dictator like Abacha. Though, I still know a few people who says they never like him.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Hunter(m): 12:32pm On May 16, 2005
Thanks, I just picked him as he seemed to be one of the more influental in nigerian history (on the money, airport named after him etc)
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Allenpowered(m): 3:06pm On May 16, 2005
i agree with u that his reign was too short. but he made marked improvements int he every day life of the average naija man/woman. and i don't believe there is anyone everyone will like. all humans have his/her own foibles
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Seun(m): 3:08am On May 17, 2005
Wikipedia to the Rescue:

"General Murtala Ramat Mohammed (November 8, 1938–February 13, 1976) was a military ruler (Head of the Federal Military Government) of Nigeria (1975–1976).

"Mohammed opposed the regime of Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi which took power after a coup d'etat on January 15, 1966, and he was a leader of the successful counter-coup of July 29, 1966. Mohammed led the crucial seizure of the airport at Ikeja, which was later renamed the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in his honor. He at first intended to use the coup as a step towards the secession of northern Nigeria, but later dropped this demand.

"The coup led to the installation of Lieutenant-Colonel Yakubu Gowon in power. On July 29, 1975, the anniversary of the last coup, Mohammed led another and seized power for himself. He was, however, killed on February 13, 1976 in an abortive coup attempt when his car was ambushed in traffic in Lagos. It is widely believed that Britain was actively involved in this assassination. (One of the prime assailants took refuge in the British embassy there immediately after the assassination.)

"He was succeeded by his chief of staff, Olusegun Obasanjo, who completed the plan of an orderly transfer to civilian rule by handing power to Alhaji Shehu Shagari on October 1, 1979."

It is hard to label a military leader as a "good man".

1 Like

Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by old2boy(m): 3:45pm On May 17, 2005
There was a young military man who planned a counter coup with the aim of avenging the death of Northerners. He was bent on separating Northern Nigeria from the Republic. On being advised on the fact that the north would be the worse for it, he left in anger.
Some years later, this same man lost most of Nigeria's armour to a band of men led by his juniors in the army at Abagana. He abandoned the warfront, went to quarrel with his C-in-C and again left the stage in anger.

As Nigeria was developing, this same man came and destroyed the civil service. By sacking arbitrarily, he laid the foundation for others like him to seize power and for the workers to no longer believe in working for future gains. Because of his anger, his boys could not talk to him. They waited for him to simmer and sprayed him in their anger.

MM was a man without foresight or understanding.  Apart from coups, there is nothing else I know he planned and executed that marks him as a good man.

2 Likes

Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Seun(m): 6:10pm On May 17, 2005
What about the famous War Against Indiscipline (WAI) program? (I remember my parents telling me that during General Murtala Mohammed's short rule people had to form queues to enter commercial buses.) The old WAI program is the inspiration for the current Lagos State government's "KAI" programme ('Kick Against Indiscipline').
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Ka: 9:09pm On May 17, 2005
seun:

What about the famous War Against Indiscipline (WAI) program?

I think you may be confusing General Muhammed with General Buhari, whose regime launched WAI and who came three regimes after General Muhammed.

1 Like

Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Seun(m): 9:50pm On May 17, 2005
Oops.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Allenpowered(m): 5:25pm On May 18, 2005
old2boy must realy have a lot of grudge with MM. If i remember rightly fromte info available civil servants sacked then were mostly corrupt guys.

and i would like to disagree that he was only recognise for his coup d'état. he was laying a foundation for a non-corrupt naija when he was terminated in his prime. he made people who had acquired propertie illegally to return them
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Seun(m): 5:53pm On May 18, 2005
I've heard people say that, if his regime had not been cut short, he might have turned out to be one of the worst dictators ever to come out of Africa. Judging from the way he started (I think a military governor was executed for some reason) those people might be right.

1 Like

Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by kodewrita(m): 6:27pm On May 20, 2005
it is well known that he was a war profiteer and he looted banks and supermarkets in biafra even though he claimed to have given up the loot on ascending power
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by old2boy(m): 5:50pm On May 28, 2005
Hey Guys, No grudges at all. Neither myself nor anyone close to me was affected directly by MM's actions. However all of Nigeria lost direction from his 1966 anger, and corruption became the problem of this country as aresult of his 1975 pruge. They said people were sacked for corruption but who produced the lists? Many innocents were sent packing because the real corrupt guy was writing the list. Others saw and now live with "i can be sacked any time, let me steal as much as possible now"

MM was just bad news for a Good United Strong Nigeria.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Red(m): 8:02am On Jun 20, 2005
Good United Strong Nigeria.
No such thing ever existed.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by kazey(m): 10:52am On Jul 05, 2005
Digging the grave of a dead man is very bad. He is dead, and so is his deeds, together with him in the grave. Why do we have to dig up the past? We need to move forward. We need Progress, Nigerians!
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by kemmy(f): 7:54pm On Jul 06, 2005
Kazey, you'll be surprised by how much of the past will determine the future, especially when it is the case of Nigeria. Too much cases - and too many diverse people involved here - with their different values.

I've alwayes believed some that things happen so the worst would not happen (bi eyi o s'ele). So, if MM was killed then, he was probably going to be the worst leader we could get. Thank God he died at a time people would have fond memories of him. So also the case of Abiola, even Abacha. Yes, Abacha. Who knows what he could have done if he was elected the President of Nigeria? That is why I'm optimistic about this Babangida issue too. God will always be God!
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Seun(m): 11:27am On May 10, 2007
That's rather ridiculous, my dear. Are you saying that dying young automatically makes a person bad? Come on!
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by angel101(f): 11:35am On May 10, 2007
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by initiate: 12:52pm On May 10, 2007
murtala was a focussed and decisive leader.

as a soldier, he demanded total submission from his juniors and at the same time disrespected his seniors
he was the brain being the 2nd and 3rd coup in nigeria
as head of state he had sincere intentions to reform nigeria and he was on that path b4 he was cut down
his strengths: a good leader, decisive, analytical, a good planner and strategist; interested in the well being of the country
his weaknesses: arrogance; nepotism
one thing im not sure abt is whether he was corrupt or not. but as we all know it takes time b4 u know the full nature of a man.
hie arrogance and nepotism eventually cost him his life when he promoted obasanjo and danjuma over bissalla and still left him in the army. he should have sacked him. (babangida, abacha etc have had learnt from this. thats why they sack any office they dont like)

although he came out as a good political leader he was a bad military general. he came out as the worst officer in the civil war and he wasted a whole lot of men when he took wrong decisions.

in summary he was a charismatic leader who had very large following

1 Like

Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Pain(m): 10:39am On May 12, 2007
May His Soul Rest In Peace. cool
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Crownvilla(m): 8:27pm On May 15, 2007
MMH was the best Head of State Nigeria ever had!
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Crownvilla(m): 8:30pm On May 15, 2007
Murtala's foreign policy was awesome and led to the independence of Mozambique, Angola and a few years later Zimbabwe.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by closetpervert(m): 8:31pm On May 15, 2007
ask yourself.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by grafikdon: 8:56pm On Aug 07, 2007
He was a mass murderer, but I have to leave the dead alone. Let them be for it profits none of us to dig up his ugly past.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Afam(m): 9:01am On Aug 08, 2007
MM will be remembered by some as someone that suggested that all Igbo men be castrated during the war.

How I wish his earlier plan of carving the North out of Nigeria succeeded sha.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by JustGood(m): 10:42am On Aug 08, 2007
My Personal Opinion.

Murtala Muhammed laid the foundation for subsequent military dictatorships to THRIVE in Nigeria. He was definitely a focussed man who had a mission as Head of State. His mission was however ill-informed and he did many things without proper knowledge. Attempting to decree market prices was a recipe for economic chaos.

I admired his focus and determination. He was strong on discipline though I thought he went about most of those things in the wrong ways.

All said, I think his regime prepared the table for Nigeria's economic downward spiral

1 Like

Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by bigspif(m): 12:19pm On Aug 08, 2007
Please think before you write what suits you about Murtala, and we will appreciate if you provide source of your information and facts.
You see some people just jump the gun and write all sorts of rubbish to garner more posts on nairaland angry angry angry angry  I'm sure most of you here contributing were very young during MM days, some were not even born.
@seun in as much as wikipedia is a credible site, can you post more links to similar claims? Thanks

@Afam and grafikdon what are your source?
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by grafikdon: 12:33pm On Aug 08, 2007
big spif:

Please think before you write what suits you about Murtala, and we will appreciate if you provide source of your information and facts.
You see some people just jump the gun and write all sorts of rubbish to garner more posts on nairaland angry angry angry angry I'm sure most of you here contributing were very young during MM days, some were not even born.
@seun in as much as wikipedia is a credible site, can you post more links to similar claims? Thanks

@Afam and grafikdon what are your source?

Let me first of all try to provide you with links and facts including pictures and video recording to prove that Abacha was a brutal,blood thirsty dictator. While I am on that, I will also try to give you links and facts including pictures and money transfer sheets to prove that Babangida was a big thief and the Lootermander- In-Thief of the Nigerian Natural Resources. By the time I am done, I will now post links and facts including video clips and audio clips to show that MM was a hell bound blood thirsty mass murderer.

I happen to know a couple of people who fought on his side and against him during the war, as well as people who were with him before Karma caught up with him in a well deserved hail of bullets. When both parties have the same thing to say about the man, you can't conclude they were mere fabrications. Like I said, the man is dead, we should let him be. We are solely responsible for our deeds and actions on this material plane and will bear the consequences, alone, here on earth or after we shed our physical bodies. There is no way out of it!
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Abeem(m): 2:37am On Aug 09, 2007
Murtala Muhammad was a charismatic leader who was well loved by majority of Nigerians. Those who belong to the school of thought that says he was a bad leader can be categorised into two. First, the easterners and their grudge against him is understandable; as one of the fearerless Nigerian war commanders that helped decimate their ambition to secede from the rest of the country, we do not expect them to sing his praises.

Second, the civil servants, who were indicted for their bad work ethics and yet were compensated by the Gowon regime with fantastic arrears of salaries and bonuses - nicknamed Udoji award. His reform of the civil service was meant to trim the work-force, remove corrupt and bad eggs and make the civil service more virile and responsive to their duties to the nation.

Indeed he committed some attrocities during the civil war, but that was during the war, and soldiers are not known to be gentlemanly in war campaigns.  Ever heard of the scorch-earth policy used by one of the US war commanders during the civil war campaign in the US? Nevertheless, he apologised to the nation for all attrocites he committed during the war wnen he became head of state.

During his brief but eventful stay as head of state, he warmed himself to the heart of Nigerians with his people-oriented policies; there was job security as well as security of life, food was in abundance and economy was buoyant. His short reign was a blessing and majority appreciated it. When he passed, Nigerians mourned his death and he remain till today in the sub-conscious of those of us who was alive and valued service to humanity.

To live in the mind of those who love us is not to die.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Afam(m): 12:01pm On Aug 09, 2007
big spif:

You see some people just jump the gun and write all sorts of rubbish to garner more posts on nairaland angry angry angry angry I'm sure most of you here contributing were very young during MM days, some were not even born.

@Afam and grafikdon what (is)are your source(s)?

So, because you are not aware of something makes that thing rubbish abi?

Well, when you learn to ask questions properly I shall consider them (well apart from the correction above sha).
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by doyin13(m): 12:41pm On Aug 09, 2007
I don't know about fearless. More like reckless and ambitious.

His boneheaded stubborness during the war led to a lot of Federal losses.

He was also a major participant in the Second Coup that led to decimation of a fledgling officer corps.
Re: Was Murtala Mohammed a good man? by Abeem(m): 5:34am On Aug 13, 2007
@doyin13
Your alias should be Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo IRUNMALE not iranmale.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. / FG Spends N4.8 Billion On School Fees For Ambassador's Children / Amiesimaka Stadium A Class Above Akwa Ibom Complex, Igwe Boasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.