Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,983 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? (23264 Views)

Top 3 Nigerian Banks Where Staff Do Not Work In Fear / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / CBN Policy: Massive Job Cuts Looms In Manufacturing Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by AjaoMT2: 6:16pm On Apr 23, 2015
[b]This actually happened to me. I lost an employment opportunity at a beer manufacturing company several years ago because of my "beliefs". I however know better now. There is absolutely nothing wrong with alcohol just as there is absolutely nothing wrong with(for example), coke. The issue has to do with drinking in moderation. Whoever knows he can't control himself should avoid it at all cost before it becomes a serious addiction. If a man drinks from time to time (mind you, I don't drink because I don't like it), what is wrong with that? What harm will it do to his body? When you take more than you should it harms your body and shames you. But taking too much of any substance does the same. Coke, salt, pepper etc. Anybody aspiring to work in an alcohol producing company or tobacco company should realize this and take the job. People are most of the time hypocrites in such cases. A person addicted to sex will look down on an alcoholic because his own addiction is not as embarrassing or not shameful. An addiction is an addiction. Most of the time, they harm or destroy us and others physically, emotionally, psychologically and socially. There is nothing wrong with alcohol or working in a place where it is produced. It is all about MODERATION on the part of people.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by nkemdi89(f): 6:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
tonychristopher:
TELL HIM TO GIVE ME THE JOB, WORKING IN ALCHOHOL FIRM IS THE SAFEST JOB, I GET HIGH, PEOPLE HIGH AND THE COMPANY WONT LACK SALES AND YOUR JOB WILL BE SAFE

CHRISTIANITY DOESNT CONDEMN ALCHOHOL, NA ISLAM DID THAT PRETENTIOUSLY BUIT THEY STILL GET HIGH

GO AND POPE SEFF FIT WORK FOR VODKA FIRM

ME I TALK MY OWN
My in law is a faithful muslim and he works in the brewery in costain, that doesn't mean he drinks alcohol, he is even an old staff not contract. So no reiligion stops you in working in the brewery,tobacco or condom factory.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by hotice01: 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2015
NIGERIANS ARE TO RELIGIOUS AND MYOPIC IN THEIR THOUTHS
He prayed for a miracle job,now he has one yet he is second guessing God's blessings.As a pastor maybe he is sent there not just to work but to win souls.There is a reason for everything thing that happens to a true believer cuz 'all things work together for those who love God and are CALLED according to His will'.
lemme ask 'is it wrong for a pastor to be a soldier serving his country in the battle field where he has to kill"?.
How will he take care of his family?
pls before u religious e-warriors will quote me out of context please read Ecclesiastes 7:16-17.

"Don't be too wise or overly righteous(self righteousness),why destroy yourself?Don't be overly wicked either,don't be a fool!why should you die before your time"

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by ATMC(f): 6:29pm On Apr 23, 2015
masterchi:
a pastor shouldnt work there not everyone will understand. all things are lawful but not all things are expedient. If taking a food will make my brother fail paul said he will rather not take it for the sake of the brethren who is weak in faith. Alcohol factory isnt for you a pastor.
...and @op if this pastor brother in law of yours wants to buy shares, do you know he won't hesitate to buy Nigerian Breweries and Guinness because they are doing well. He won't see them and go for Ashaka cement or leventis. I guess you know why. Ask him this question...if he can buy their shares then he can work with them.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 23, 2015
haibe:
please explain how it will make his brother fall oo
it doz nt necessarily hv to make him fall, d ppl he shold b intrested in r doz lukin up to him spiritually. His job may nt afect him *dependin on d level of his faith tho*, but may put to risk d faith of d sheep under his care.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by ibukux: 6:35pm On Apr 23, 2015
are u now saying people who work in an alcholic firm should not bring the money earned there to relugious houses.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by olayinkaj2(m): 6:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
Well, I have got nothing to say. He should decide on what he wants. If the spirit in him is reluctant, then back down.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by RobinHez(m): 6:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
9icetoo:

Taa, mechie onu before you commit blasphemy. Don't add or remove from the bible. Wine making process has not changed for over two thousand years. The process involves fermentation which yields alcohol. Wine as is in the bible is alcoholic.
Hey bro...na u start chemistry o....
All fruits contain organic acids which become alcoholic in nature when fermented...zobo drink can turn to shekpe if u keep it for days even pineapple drink not to talk of the grape

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Namdez: 7:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
Since the pastor didn't apply for job there, and the offer came, it's a test of faith. Considering the battle in his conscence that is not the food for him, besides he has made his decision not to take the job. If he ignore the inner voice and goes back to take the job, he might have problem at last. Pastor please stand firm God will provide a job that will satisfy your conscence.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by paix(m): 7:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
Will a pastor collect tithe from a church member that works there?
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Rainmaker69(m): 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2015
There's nothing there. Have you ever heard that a church turned offering or tithe back because the money is from the salary from a beer company?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Okponee: 7:28pm On Apr 23, 2015
CrazyMan:
The Bible doesn’t condemn alcohol. The only reference made to alcohol in the Bible is do not take too much of wine, don't be filled with wine".

Prophets, men of God and even Jesus himself all drank wine. And in his last moments on earth, he (Jesus) gave his disciples wine and bread and specifically instructed us to keep drinking wine in remembrance of him.

But despite the fact that Jesus and his disciples were known for drinking wine, (in fact one of Jesus first miracles was the turning of water into wine) it was never recorded anywhere in the bible that he (Jesus) nor his disciples got drunk. They choose to be filled with more of the holy ghost than the wine they consumed.

So you see these alcohol stuff has to do with the individual state...people detest alcohol not because the bible strongly forbids it but because they feel its not good.

Tell your pastor in-law to accept the job offer. Whether or not he consumes it is up to him to decide. But in the meantime, he has a family to carter for.

Hi pal! Happy to read ur points, but I differ from them. There's a difference between alcoholic wine and non-alcoholic wine. When Jesus turned water into wine, there's no record that He introduced alcohol into it.

Secondly, can you measure the level of alcohol that makes a person to be described as being "filled with it". All the guys I've ever seen quoting the same portion of the Bible were at different level of intoxication, even while quoting it. It is not only when a person staggers and fall that he can be said to be drunk. There are different levels of drunkenness ...... eyes red; talking more rapidly and loudly etc.

Furthermore, as someone has already noted here on this thread, Christian life is a life of sacrifice to promote the Kingdom and culture of God. The Bible says that "those who are strong should help those who are weak" and apostle Paul added that "all things are permissible to me, but all things are not expedient...." You may claim that you can take wine and not get drunk, but what of the various persons who follow you to do it, while they are not that strong? Some of them end up having their destinies thwarted in the process. After all what do you stand to lose if you don't drink alcoholic drinks. Most people only drink such in order to "belong".
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by OOLUSOGA(m): 7:36pm On Apr 23, 2015
Doluvincent1:
If truly he is a Christian he should not pick up the job.
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:cool.
So the question now is : is this job "just"
is it a honest job
is it a job of good report?

So even those posters above saying drinking alcohol is not a sin read and understand the above verse to know if drinking will make people to give a good report about u?
Or if there is any praise in drinking

his breakthrough is on the way
he should just focus on JESUS only

God bless

God bless dis person. i love ur comment may God increase ur wisdom and understanding. now back to d issues i want to say he should not take d job. he should consider others fellow that might not have a strong faith. i will advice him to sincerely seek the face of God for divine direction. he should be sincere to himself. less i forget dis message dropped into my heart now dat what of if he accept d offer and after 3 months his appointment was terminated what will he do? he should pls think abt it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Tcrown01(m): 7:46pm On Apr 23, 2015
masterchi:
a pastor shouldnt work there not everyone will understand. all things are lawful but not all things are expedient. If taking a food will make my brother fail paul said he will rather not take it for the sake of the brethren who is weak in faith. Alcohol factory isnt for you a pastor.

Seconded
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by stranger003: 7:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
No scriptural evidence that prohibit pastors from worrking In alcohol mfg coys. Though the muslims are not allowed to work in such places
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Tcrown01(m): 8:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
The scripture does not necessarily condemn drinking alcohol... What the scripture is against is drunkenness ..... I think he can work there
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by tommaxy(f): 8:39pm On Apr 23, 2015
Changin water to wine is not wat u tink,d spiritual meanin s wen u bcum born again xtian,its nt ur body dt s changd bt ur inner self.So,as an answer to ur que,it isnt ryt 4 a xtian to work dere,wat wil he preach to odaz?Its not a matter of him not drinkin it,its a matter of him bein wia it s produced.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by holyfather(m): 8:47pm On Apr 23, 2015
I don't get what the issue of determination is here...

That he will start workin in a brewery does not make him a sinful person neither does it make him an alcoholic.

People ehn!!! Is he sayin he does not fornicate

Hypocrites everywhere.... undecided
my dear,don't think everybody fornicates...
because the truth is,they don't.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by omojeesu(m): 9:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
ACTUALLY THERE ARE NO LAWS THAT SAY 'THOU SHALT NOT TAKE ALCOHOL OR BREW ALCOHOL OR WORK IN BREWERY' (THIS APPLIES TO CIGARETTE OR ANY POTENTIAL SUBSTANCE OF ABUSE. UNLIKE DIRECT LAWS AGAINST ALL SEXUAL IMMORALITIES, STEALING, MURDER, etc). HOWEVER, WE ARE GUIDED BY BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES e.g.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. (MAY NOT BE EVIL e.g. plugged pressing iron that is dead cold, but is suddenly moved towards you. YOU SHOULD RUN BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SURE)

Romans 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: DON'T GIVE OTHERS WRONG IMPRESSION EVEN WHEN YOU ARE DOING GOOD

etc

WHILE IT IS NOT A SIN TO WORK IN A BREWERY OR TOBACCO COMPANY PEOPLE WILL CHALLENGE YOU. YOU DONT SELL OR TAKE ALCOHOL OR CIGARETTE BUT YOU HELP PRODUCE THEM! THESE SUBSTANCES ARE POTENTIALLY ADDICTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE AND YOU KNOW THE ADMONITIONS:

The Golden Rule: Do to others what you want them do to you and the reverse

Also

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 Corinthians 8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

I COUNSEL, BASED ON THE ABOVE THAT THIS PASTOR START LOOKING FOR ANOTHER JOB. GOD WILL HELP because HE WANTS TO GIVE GOD GLORY.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by mbulela: 9:37pm On Apr 23, 2015
chingydaboss:
Heresy.... Stop misleading pple if u dnt understand d scripture.. drinking Alcohol is a sin aswell as selling it or producing it.. once ur in d chain..from producer to consumer.. u r in it
See how confident you sound when pronouncing something with no biblical or scriptural basis.
Who made it a sin? Your pastor?
Drunkenness and gluttony are sins not eating and drinking.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by nnajifranklin(m): 9:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
pastor,wot you dont eat pls dont gv it to someone else.It is a poison.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by kayalcomp: 10:06pm On Apr 23, 2015
What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul. It is even better to die like Lazarus and make heaven than die like a rich man and go to hell. Even poverty is not for a child of God who knows what he is doing because his Father is the richest. And remember, road to heaven is narrow - only few will enter through. Strive to enter through it.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by kayalcomp: 10:10pm On Apr 23, 2015
nnajifranklin:
pastor,wot you dont eat pls dont gv it to someone else.It is a poison.
Very correct. God will bless u.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Elxandre(m): 10:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
EggovinMma:
tongue

My bible tells me to drink and forget my sorrow!
It also tells me to take small stout a little wine for stomach ache. I have been purging since morning! Just took a bottle of small stout and I an currently feeling ok.Thank you Lord!

Alcohol isn't a sin.But too much of everything is a sin! cheesy
After all Jesus turned water to wine! And please don't tell me it's fruit wine! UNA NO DEY THERE!
Is this the new moniker of lynpetra?
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Farnesyl1989: 10:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
omojeesu:
ACTUALLY THERE ARE NO LAWS THAT SAY 'THOU SHALT NOT TAKE ALCOHOL OR BREW ALCOHOL OR WORK IN BREWERY' (THIS APPLIES TO CIGARETTE OR ANY POTENTIAL SUBSTANCE OF ABUSE. UNLIKE DIRECT LAWS AGAINST ALL SEXUAL IMMORALITIES, STEALING, MURDER, etc). HOWEVER, WE ARE GUIDED BY BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES e.g.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. (MAY NOT BE EVIL e.g. plugged pressing iron that is dead cold, but is suddenly moved towards you. YOU SHOULD RUN BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SURE)

Romans 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: DON'T GIVE OTHERS WRONG IMPRESSION EVEN WHEN YOU ARE DOING GOOD

etc

WHILE IT IS NOT A SIN TO WORK IN A BREWERY OR TOBACCO COMPANY PEOPLE WILL CHALLENGE YOU. YOU DONT SELL OR TAKE ALCOHOL OR CIGARETTE BUT YOU HELP PRODUCE THEM! THESE SUBSTANCES ARE POTENTIALLY ADDICTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE AND YOU KNOW THE ADMONITIONS:

The Golden Rule: Do to others what you want them do to you and the reverse

Also

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 Corinthians 8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

I COUNSEL, BASED ON THE ABOVE THAT THIS PASTOR START LOOKING FOR ANOTHER JOB. GOD WILL HELP because HE WANTS TO GIVE GOD GLORY.
God bless you sir
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by hamilton62(m): 10:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
CrazyMan:
The Bible doesn’t condemn alcohol. The only reference made to alcohol in the Bible is do not take too much of wine, don't be filled with wine".

Prophets, men of God and even Jesus himself all drank wine. And in his last moments on earth, he (Jesus) gave his disciples wine and bread and specifically instructed us to keep drinking wine in remembrance of him.

But despite the fact that Jesus and his disciples were known for drinking wine, (in fact one of Jesus first miracles was the turning of water into wine) it was never recorded anywhere in the bible that he (Jesus) nor his disciples got drunk. They choose to be filled with more of the holy ghost than the wine they consumed.

So you see these alcohol stuff has to do with the individual state...people detest alcohol not because the bible strongly forbids it but because they feel its not good.

Tell your pastor in-law to accept the job offer. Whether or not he consumes it is up to him to decide. But in the meantime, he has a family to carter for.
At least you can visit a winery, after the visit what will you discover?
Some Alcoholic wines and some alcohol free wines... So there are two grades of wine from experience (visitation) but Brew companies aren't wine making companies because they know the money is in synthesized alcoholic beers and others...
Don't you think that due to the sweet taste of the wine Jesus turned water to in the land of cannan many would have been drunk if it was alcohol?
The wine was sweeter than any other and in abundant... So many were supposed to lie on their chunder (vomit) if it was alcohol...
Because you stand on your one leg to pray and you are called a pastor doesn't make standing on 2 legs to pray bad...
@ Op, God has a cordial relationship with that in-law of yours who is a pastor and that's why he could still understand clearly the word of God telling hi to turn it down.
Leviticus 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations.
Why will the Levi die if wine (alcoholic one) is good?

Numbers 6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
Part of righteousness, though without His grace we aren't.

Judges 13:4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing.
A law to God's people (people in salvation)

The Bible has it all... True Christians and born agains know your rights, ignorance is more deadly than anything even before a Jury in court...
Read and study your bibles please, it's the manual of life and you will find all your questions in it with the leadership and guild of the Holy Spirit.
Brother, please don't be a temptation device to your inlaw against his faith because the devil is tricky and trying to do that with you.
Thanks.
God loves you.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by MistarT(m): 11:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
Please stop spreading heresy, read Habakkuk 2:15, mind you strong drink aka wine has caused enough harm already Lot's children slept with him because he was drunk,there're several cases there's no need living sensual what is in alcohol self?? after the high will you not come to normal, why the hype, is it not better you are filled with God's love and glory than liquor, of what spiritual edification is strong drink? after the high you get intoxicated (even if it is 0.0000000007% of alcohol ) just know that you're 0.0000000007% drunk that ur normal state.If you're filled I mean filled with Jesus not reading or watching religious films alone, why will you want to make Jesus sad?
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Apr 23, 2015
Coolcash1:
I will like to share a true life experience that is happening now.

Also, I will appreciate if the moderator can move this to front page to gather enough advice as possible.

My wife's brother-in law who is a pastor in RCCG was offered an employment in one of the leading MNL brewery company but contemplating on taking it up. His reason was it is against his faith. I argued that so long you are not going to be taking their products I don't see anything bad in it. Here is a man that really needs to change his job because of his current state of living which is not good at all.

So, I will like you to advice if I am the one that is wrong or him. Because I am of the opinion that whether you are a Muslim or Christian faithful working in such industry is not against one's faith.

The British communion wine we use contains alcohol ..
So if such jobs is behind him let him grab it...

We take alcohol but nt in excess
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by popson1st: 12:39am On Apr 24, 2015
See religion..
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by toniro(m): 4:46am On Apr 24, 2015
I think we all r different. Just lik eating food sacrificed to idols or not I should say in 1cor8. So its mind thing for me. To some oh no. Its wrong. I did reject a tobacco job n today still I have no regret! Praise God. I got a job after that n stil working. If it will jeopardy d faith of his followers fot christ sake,God will make another way He always do. Amen.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by oshinadekunle(m): 6:08am On Apr 24, 2015
If ur right hand or leg go hinder u frm getting to heaven remove it.
Re: Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? by haibe(m): 6:25am On Apr 24, 2015
ndy4evame:
it doz nt necessarily hv to make him fall, d ppl he shold b intrested in r doz lukin up to him spiritually. His job may nt afect him *dependin on d level of his faith tho*, but may put to risk d faith of d sheep under his care.
how? Are you suggesting alcohol is sinful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience / Nigeria Customs Top Management In Age Falsification And Corruption Scandal / NPF:- Hw Many Yrs Will One Spend As An Inspector Before Promotion To ASP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.