Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,970 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:45 AM

Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? (5462 Views)

Man Surprises Wife With N15million Benz Just To Say 'Thank You' / Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 15, 2015
Yes I do, unconsciously and consciously. When they are modest and smiling, I leave a tip.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 15, 2015
Sure i do

Sometimes it happens un conciously,some of my friends bé like didn't you pay for it, why thanking the bikeman, did he do anything special bla bla bla
I really don't care

1 Like

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by bebe2(f): 7:24pm On Apr 15, 2015
hmmmmm

see story, for naija ??

dem no dey say tnk u oo

i noticed it wen i went home last month,

some of them or so rude and confrontational.

na only me dey say thank u, sorry, excuse me.

after a week me too stop.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by bebe2(f): 7:25pm On Apr 15, 2015
EggovinMma:
Yes I do, unconsciously and consciously. When they are modest and smiling, I leave a tip.

eh?

some one gave u a smile in nigeria?

how much did u pay them?
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 15, 2015
bebe2:

eh?

some one gave u a smile in nigeria?

how much did u pay them?

Well, any money I can manage to give.
There are really professional and humble waiter and waitresses and I have witnessed several. Very polite and professional.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 7:56pm On Apr 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. I own 90% of ya batty like the naija Jews . So, it is my ordained right from the most high to give you tips on how to tip. Call it the art/act of tipping 101. tongue

Darn! I now see why ya hair is super-nappy lol.
Yea like the naija jews who are delusional. With their made up figures and grandiosity. tongue tongue tongue

How do you even know I have a nappy hair.
angry angry
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 7:59pm On Apr 15, 2015
Ebiz12:
Sure i do

Sometimes it happens un conciously,some of my friends bé like didn't you pay for it, why thanking the bikeman, did he do anything special bla bla bla
I really don't care
Story of my life. Its either "thank you" is expensive in Nigeria or someone is hoarding it. My naija peeps aint just generous with thank you and other polite words.

1 Like

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 8:06pm On Apr 15, 2015
tpiadotcom:

tips are expected overseas in certain occupations.

In Nigeria too, people sometimes tip bus conductors, food servers, etc.

I think bus drivers are unionized and have good pay and benefits, likewise nurses (abroad). In Nigeria, tips for non-food related professions can be in various forms such as food items, beverages, clothing, etc. Not just cash. Actually, they'd be considered gifts, not tips.
Anyone in the health profession, when offered tips should not collect it for whatsoever reason. It is against the medical ethics.
Like I said before, tips and/or thank you shouldn't be limited to the food/catering industry.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2015
Seriously!!

DollyParton1:

Story of my life. Its either "thank you" is expensive in Nigeria or someone is hoarding it. My naija peeps aint just generous with thank you and other polite words.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by tpiadotcom: 9:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
DollyParton1:

Anyone in the health profession, when offered tips should not collect it for whatsoever reason. It is against the medical ethics.
Like I said before, tips and/or thank you shouldn't be limited to the food/catering industry.

Its the culture in parts of nigeria to show appreciation by giving gifts. Refusing some gifts might actually be considered a deliberate insult.

as long as the recipient is not violating any code, its not necessarily a big deal.

tips are also given in the transport industry, trade, etc, it depends if the giver wants to add extra ( jara).

Thanks are given frequently, subject to context.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 16, 2015
xynerise:
I always say thank you to the wait staff before and after a meal. I don't know why and when I say it but I just say it and feel ashamed later undecided

I do this often. Is there anyone here doing or have done this before?

Doesn't everyone do this?
Nigerians are so rude and uncultured
Shouldn't you say thank you to people who wait on you?
It's only courteous to do so

I say thanks to a shuttle van driver
Cab driver
Door man at a hotel
Receptionists
Office cleaners
Assistants and staff at work
The lawn guy that mows our lawn and keeps the yard
The garbage collectors
Someone holding the door or elevator for you
What's the big deal?

1 Like

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Stillfire: 1:36am On Apr 16, 2015
babyosisi:

Doesn't everyone do this?
Nigerians are so rude and uncultured
Shouldn't you say thank you to people who wait on you?
It's only courteous to do so
[b]I say thanks to a shuttle van driver[/b]Cab driver
Door man at a hotel
Receptionists
Office cleaners
Assistants and staff at work
The lawn guy that mows our lawn and keeps the yard
The garbage collectors
Someone holding the door or elevator for you
What's the big deal?

You just reminded me. My shuttle van driver left me behind today. I wanted to cry ehn. angry cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
I went to meet him afterwards that he left me behind and he apologized, lol.
And yes I do say thank you after every ride. The drivers are very, very courteous too.
As for Nigerians, you know that it's only the elderly or rich people that you show some respect to now grin. We have a long way to go in showing respect to people serving us.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by cococandy(f): 5:35am On Apr 16, 2015
OP you don't need to feel ashamed for doing that. I understand why because you're surrounded by folks who don't do same so it seems like you're the odd one but your head is in the correct place.
Say: thank you, please, I'm sorry etc at all the appropriate times and places even when they don't expect it. And always wear a smile.
You will stand out among the rest of the rude,lousy and noisy people.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by xynerise: 6:12am On Apr 16, 2015
cococandy:
OP you don't need to feel ashamed for doing that. I understand why because you're surrounded by folks who don't do same so it seems like you're the odd one but your head is in the correct place.
Say: thank you, please, I'm sorry etc at all the appropriate times and places even when they don't expect it. And always wear a smile.
You will stand out among the rest of the rude,lousy and noisy people.
The way I say the "Thank you" is epic grin
Sometimes with a handshake
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by cococandy(f): 6:20am On Apr 16, 2015
xynerise:

The way I say the "Thank you" is epic grin
Sometimes with a handshake
grin
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Bootylicious(f): 7:38am On Apr 16, 2015
I always do, even when handed my change. Three important words, thank you, excuse me please and I'm sorry.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by TrishaP(f): 8:07am On Apr 16, 2015
It is a habit.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 16, 2015
SMH for Folks on NL.

ON NAIRALAND, "I am very polite and give tips to waiters, bar tenders, petrol nozzle attendant, security officers etc.

IN REALITY: who the Fcku are you, you low life common waiter, bar tender, petrol nozzle attendant, security officers, a poor commoner with no certificate, you won't earn even a dime from me instead I'll misbehave for you so you'll get a query or sack.

undecided
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by SirShymexx: 8:35am On Apr 16, 2015
DollyParton1:

Yea like the naija jews who are delusional. With their made up figures and grandiosity. tongue tongue tongue

How do you even know I have a nappy hair.
angry angry

Lol. Lowe the Jews before accusations of anti-semitism start flying around lol. But I still own 90% of ya badonkadonk - you can keep the remaining 10%. Holy shiit, I saw some white guy driving the $1.5 McLaren on the M25 yesterday - when the dirty money starts dropping, and I get the C of O to the batty - that's what I'll be whipping that batty in looool.

Which proper negro doesn't have nappy hair? But the naija one is unique for its toughness. So tough that Lil Wayne rapped about it (tougher than Nigerian hair lol). I have got that ish as well. Whenever I keep it low - it is always wavy. But when I leave it, it is always tough as fvck. And the tough nappy muthaphucka is back again, now that I have got hi fade-top loool.

Anyway, just don't say only "Thank You" cos that should naturally be part of ya vocabulary. Giving tips is very important esp. if you are going to go back to the place a next time. That token alone "buys" a good rapport with those working there. And best believe that whenever you go back to the place, you will get the best customer service ever and whatever help you need.

Out - off to clown the bogus manifestos for the UK elections before I start work. These clowns are selling the original black man a dream lol.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by mystiqueDZ(f): 8:56am On Apr 16, 2015
Oh sure thing...If he/she is efficient...
But for those ones that carry face like they were forced to work.....I make very sure their faces squeeze more!!!!!
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 16, 2015
I do it absentmindedly, I think it all boils down to proper upbringing, I talk thank u sotay my gf started complaining that every little thing I'll always say thanks. Lol
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 7:46pm On Apr 16, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Lowe the Jews before accusations of anti-semitism start flying around lol. But I still own 90% of ya badonkadonk - you can keep the remaining 10%. Holy shiit, I saw some white guy driving the $1.5 McLaren on the M25 yesterday - when the dirty money starts dropping, and I get the C of O to the batty - that's what I'll be whipping that batty in looool.

Which proper negro doesn't have nappy hair? But the naija one is unique for its toughness. So tough that Lil Wayne rapped about it (tougher than Nigerian hair lol). I have got that ish as well. Whenever I keep it low - it is always wavy. But when I leave it, it is always tough as fvck. And the tough nappy muthaphucka is back again, now that I have got hi fade-top loool.

Anyway, just don't say only "Thank You" cos that should naturally be part of ya vocabulary. Giving tips is very important esp. if you are going to go back to the place a next time. That token alone "buys" a good rapport with those working there. And best believe that whenever you go back to the place, you will get the best customer service ever and whatever help you need.

Out - off to clown the bogus manifestos for the UK elections before I start work. These clowns are selling the original black man a dream lol.

Oh yeah... if you do oil and coke business simultaneously, you can own 100% of anything in the world. Its all about the paper.

My hair is mega-super-nappy.... lol. When I was a kid my hair dresser gave me the nickname that loosely translates to "mega coarse hair". I went natural in 2012/2013 but I dint last more than a year.

Well, that style of giving tips has been abused by Nigerians. I try to give tips as frequently as I can.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by SirShymexx: 8:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
DollyParton1:

Oh yeah... if you do oil and coke business simultaneously, you can own 100% of anything in the world. Its all about the paper.

My hair is mega-super-nappy.... lol. When I was a kid my hair dresser gave me the nickname that loosely translates to "mega coarse hair". I went natural in 2012/2013 but I dint last more than a year.

Well, that style of giving tips has been abused by Nigerians. I try to give tips as frequently as I can.

Lol. So you mean if I can spray some dead presidents on that batty like the naija party, you will gladly sell ya 10% to me, to give me complete ownership, no? Bring that batty here and let do what it do lol.

That is the tough naij hair syndrome right there lol.

Nice that you give tips.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by babie78: 8:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
Babyosisi always generalising and foaming from the mouth once it has to do with Nigerians forgetting that she herself was once a village mgbeke.

I say thank you even to my maid at home and everyone in my house does that. Its not a Nigerian thing it's simple a matter of upbringing
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by tpiadotcom: 12:39am On Apr 17, 2015
lomomike:
SMH for Folks on NL.

ON NAIRALAND, "I am very polite and give tips to waiters, bar tenders, petrol nozzle attendant, security officers etc.

IN REALITY: who the Fcku are you, you low life common waiter, bar tender, petrol nozzle attendant, security officers, a poor commoner with no certificate, you won't earn even a dime from me instead I'll misbehave for you so you'll get a query or sack.

undecided

The same op who insulted me for no reason some time ago, is now forming holy.

Anyway, I assume his/her reason for the thread, has to do with union matters.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Strongfaze(m): 10:00am On Apr 17, 2015
I do say thank you and I'm not ashamed of it. The waiter today might be the Prezident tomorrow. For example GEJ was without shoes but became the prezident. If you look down on people, you will carry your cross sooner than soonest. Courtesy is even one of the best ways to know a wife or husband material!
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 11:25am On Apr 17, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. So you mean if I can spray some dead presidents on that batty like the naija party, you will gladly sell ya 10% to me, to give me complete ownership, no? Bring that batty here and let do what it do lol.

That is the tough naij hair syndrome right there lol.

Nice that you give tips.

Money talks, bullshît walks....
Doing it the naija chics' way.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by tpiadotcom: 4:17pm On Apr 17, 2015
Strongfaze:
I do say thank you and I'm not ashamed of it. The waiter today might be the Prezident tomorrow. For example GEJ was without shoes but became president

If I say thank you to someone, its not because of what they might be tomorrow but its simply a way of showing gratitude or appreciation.

Do you know how many people without shoes never became president? Should they not receive thank you on that account?

I do get your point though.

1 Like

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Strongfaze(m): 4:44pm On Apr 17, 2015
tpiadotcom:

If I say thank you to someone, its not because of what they might be tomorrow but its simply a way of showing gratitude or appreciation.

Do you know how many people without shoes never became president? Should they not receive thank you on that account?

I do get your point though.
. Thanks i got your points too bro. Please let me clarify some more, some people refuse to say thank you because they are so full of pride.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by redcurry(f): 10:46pm On Apr 17, 2015
ln as much as waiters and waitress appreciate our thank you.the little tips we give them also go along way.if u want to get d best of their services,especially if it's a restaurant u visit regularly.try and tip them once in a while.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by iwatch: 12:17am On Apr 18, 2015
xynerise:
I always say thank you to the wait staff before and after a meal. I don't know why and when I say it but I just say it and feel ashamed later undecided

I do this often. Is there anyone here doing or have done this before?
Saying thank you comes out naturally for me. Even if it was a 5 year old kid that served me, I still say thank you. cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Sister's Husband Beats Her In My Presence. / My Husband Had A One Night Stand And The Girl Had A Baby / Is BLOOD Really Thicker Than Water? Family FEUDS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.