Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,567 members, 7,958,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:38 PM

Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD (698 Views)

Saraki Meets Nigerian Union Of Journalists / Yoruba May Pull Out Of Nigerian Union, Gen Adebayo,others Speak At Ibadan Summit / Dele Momodu Is Next Ooni Of Ife, Says Nigerian Pastor In Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD by mightycrown1(m): 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2015
The President of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, Mr Ikechukwu Anyene, said on Friday that xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals were on the increase.

Anyene told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on phone from Pretoria, South Africa, that the mechanic workshop of a Nigerian was completely destroyed early on Friday in Johannesburg.

‘’ In the early hours of today (Friday),the mechanic workshop of a Nigerian, with 10 cars and all the tools inside, was destroyed by some South Africans.

‘’ The build up to the attack started last night when the South Africans started gathering in the neighbourhood of the Nigerian.

‘’The Nigerians living there did not sleep and early today, the South African struck,’’ he said. Anyene said when the South African police intervened, the attackers dared them and opened fire. He said though the police chased them away, the attackers re-grouped and still carried out the act. ‘’ The attacks are spreading and Nigerians do not sleep again. They keep vigil to ensure that they are not taken unawares. ‘’ There is tension everywhere. Nigerians have closed their shops for fear of being attacked,’’ he said.

Anyene urged the Federal Government to engage the South African authorities in dialogue with a view to halting the attacks immediately. ‘’ South Africa has lots of businesses in Nigeria and they are doing well. Also, South Africans live in Nigeria and it is on record that Nigerians have never carried out xenophobic attacks on fellow Africans,” he said. He said though the South African government had been responding to the attacks, it was not enough because more foreigners were being attacked every day.

Anyene added: ‘’ Though no Nigerian has been killed, it may get to that because we have had close shaves with death. ‘’ The real truth is that Nigerians have lost so much in their businesses to the attacks. The time has come for the Nigerian government to make a categorical statement on these attacks. ‘’ We are not happy with what is happening and something urgent must be done to stop these attacks.

SOURCE - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/xenophobic-attacks-increasing-says-nigerian-union/#sthash.ffue3y4f.dpuf
Re: Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD by SeverusSnape(m): 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2015
I'm getting sick and tired of all these rubbish emanating from that AIDS infested country, How can one just hate a fellow human being because he/she is a citizen of another country. A group of people who suffered under the apartheid regime, are now meting out almost the same treatment to people of the same race, To even think we helped during that trying period.
I wish I could just transfer Bokoharam to them right now.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD by ozoigbondu: 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2015
sad
Re: Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD by jascon1(m): 1:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
Well if u say make I comment, I go tell u say the death toll in boko-haramed Nigeria is higher than south Africa. But I'll reserve my comment
Re: Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD by michelz: 2:07pm On Apr 17, 2015
SeverusSnape:
I'm getting sick and tired of all these rubbish emanating from that AIDS infested country, How can one just hate a fellow human being because he/she is a citizen of another country. A group of people who suffered under the apartheid regime, are now meting out almost the same treatment to people of the same race, To even think we helped during that trying period.
I wish I could just transfer Bokoharam to them right now.
My broda,i share your sentiments in this. But ask yourself this: what is GEJ doing about this? Has he even made any statement concerning this issue? This world is all about the strongest takes it all. It's obvious SA perceive our president weak,and so they take Nigeria as a push-over. What stops Nigeria(GEJ) from taking action to stop and forestall an occurance of this? Just accept that Nigeria is led by a weak president who neither barks nor bites. If you consider this,then you'll also understand why a lot of SS and SE people(GEJ's supposedly voting stronghold) were reluctant to come out en masse and vote for him. Truth be told,many Nigerians are tired of this weak ineffectual government. No wonder the US said during the height of Chibok Girls campaign,that the government in Nigeria is almost non-existent. We should all lend our support to GMB - no matter our tribe,region or political affiliation - and hope our pride as a nation is restored.
Re: Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD by SeverusSnape(m): 2:12pm On Apr 17, 2015
michelz:
My broda,i share your sentiments in this. But ask yourself this: what is GEJ doing about this? Has he even made any statement concerning this issue? This world is all about the strongest takes it all. It's obvious SA perceive our president weak,and so they take Nigeria as a push-over. What stops Nigeria(GEJ) from taking action to stop and forestall an occurance of this? Just accept that Nigeria is led by a weak president who neither barks nor bites. If you consider this,then you'll also understand why a lot of SS and SE people(GEJ's supposedly voting stronghold) were reluctant to come out en masse and vote for him. Truth be told,many Nigerians are tired of this weak ineffectual government. No wonder the US said during the height of Chibok Girls campaign,that the government in Nigeria is almost non-existent. We should all lend our support to GMB - no matter our tribe,region or political affiliation - and hope our pride as a nation is restored.
The Nigerian government made a statement yesterday through the ministry of foreign affairs, arrangements are being made to evacuate Nigerians. Thanks for your submission
Re: Xenophobic Attacks Increasing, Says Nigerian Union - VANGUARD by abduljabbar4(m): 2:28pm On Apr 17, 2015
I just hope Shekau will do what he said.

(1) (Reply)

The Miraculous Deliverance Of Oga Jona - By Chimamanda Adichie 2014 / If You Have Looted Nigeria’s Money You Must Return Our Money – Says Buhari / Diezani Alison Madueke Cries Out: I Won’t Run Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.