Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,869 members, 7,817,567 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs (37975 Views)

"N1Bn Worth Of HIV Drugs Expired In Storage" - Health Minister / When Last You Check Your HIV Status? / Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by creamynuela88: 12:38pm On Apr 20, 2015
How did she now get pregnant? shocked Hope she hasn't infected the man oh!!!
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by omicron(m): 12:48pm On Apr 20, 2015
peterbello:

Mr Ethical Omicron, forget that thing. It's ethical wickedness. HIV poses a danger just like Ebola and Lassa too. What if the ignorant spouse is your close relation e.g. Brother, friend etc.?
Ignoring your sarcasm which is rather uncalled for and immature. I suppose you are emotional.

During Ebola crisis, MOH published names of all those infected.

Maybe WHO should publish names of all those infected with HIV so as to ensure the safety of those not infected? And all those with erectile disfunction, with PID, with genetic diseases too, and with all those diseases people wish to keep from whomever they wish to keep them from?

I speak from a professional standpoint, as a doctor. I have no business in people's personal lives. And should I choose to have a business with them, I get sued and lose chunks of money and possible means of livelihood for it. I do not become emotional, nor should I.

On which standpoint are you speaking from? Professional? Or emotional? Or religious?
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by MadCow1: 12:49pm On Apr 20, 2015
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by MadCow1: 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2015
50calibre:

Shut up!! Stop talking nonsense. Doctor-patient confidentiality is not absolute, there are exceptions, one of which is; if the patient in question is a potential risk to others. E.g Ebola cases.

Besides it is assumed that married couples are privy to each other's medical situations, and in cases like this where a spouse isn't, the doctor is obliged to inform, Failure to do so could constitute a medical malpractice and may even lead to criminal prosecution.

Young man, this is not about how you feel things should be done but about what the law says.

Doctor patient confidentiality isn't voided by marriage. That is why a doctor would ask the patients consent for the spouse to be there during consultation. HIV does not fall into the same disease category under the law as Ebola, Lassa Fever, Dengue Fever, H5N1 virus, etc Because they are a higher class of illness due of the way it spreads and the potential for it to become an epidemic if not checked. And the doctor is required by law to inform the authorities not another person per se.

A doctor does not have the right to disclose a patients medical case to the spouse without proper consent. The spouse can agree to a joint medical checkup with the other partner and disclose their finding to each other with consent. This doctor is in big trouble should the patient sue.

Better go ask a doctor about this and learn some manners whilst at it.

3 Likes

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by pwerrymansion(f): 12:56pm On Apr 20, 2015
ozo13:
I have seen same before.funny enough d husband was stil negative after a long period of time.no wonder ppl say d heart of a woman is d ocean of secrets.it s wel
Lord have mercy!

1 Like

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by omicron(m): 12:57pm On Apr 20, 2015
MadCow1:

Young man, this is not about how you feel things should be done but about what the law says.

Doctor patient confidentiality isn't voided by marriage. That is why a doctor would ask the patients consent for the spouse to be there during consultation. HIV does not fall into the same disease category under the law as HIV. Ebola, Lassa Fever, Dengue Fever, H5N1 virus, etc is are a higher class of illness because of the way it spreads and the potential for it to become an epidemic if not checked. And the doctor is required by law to inform the authorities not another person per se.

A doctor does not have the right to disclose a patients medical case to the spouse without proper consent. The spouse can agree to a joint medical checkup with the other partner and disclose their finding to each other with consent. This doctor is in big trouble should the patient sue.

Thank you sir.

I think peterbello should also digest your points and follow your advice too.

1 Like

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by bolliejay(m): 12:58pm On Apr 20, 2015
slymichael:
Hw come d man is not dead til now? Cuz HIV does not last up to dat period. D husband would have bn dead by now. I don't believe dis story. Pls re-frame ur story.
Your choice to believe or not. and you think am one of those who put stories on NL for likes and mentions? am too busy for that!

1 Like

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by unikiloy: 12:58pm On Apr 20, 2015
The woman is desperate for marriage. She did consider the fate/future of the kids. She is so selfish.
As for the doctor that disclosed the status to the husband, I don't think that he will be blamed for that, because, as the husband to his client, he ( the doctor) is not supposed to hide the clinical condition of the wife at any given point in time.
Its unfortunate that the so-called wife his it for such a long time, and now she has tranmitted it to the husband.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by bolliejay(m): 1:01pm On Apr 20, 2015
obstead200:
caveat emptor.
dont believe everything u read on nairaland
Your choice to believe or not. and you think am one of those who put stories on NL for likes and mentions? am too busy for that!
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by 50calibre(m): 1:02pm On Apr 20, 2015
MadCow1:

Doctor patient confidentiality isn't voided by marriage. That is why a doctor would ask the patients consent for the spouse to be there during consultation. HIV does not fall into the same disease category under the law as HIV. Ebola, Lassa Fever, Dengue Fever, H5N1 virus, etc is are a higher class of illness because of the way it spreads and the potential for it to become an epidemic if not checked. And the doctor is required by law to inform the authorities not another person per se.

Even when the spouse is at risk? What law is this, MadCow1 law?

Show me where it categorically states that doctors aren't obliged to do so.

Are you aware, wilfully infecting others with HIV is a criminal offence? Your ignorance is dangerous.

2 Likes

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 20, 2015
Na wa o.That woman is mean.There are lots of procedures before marriage.Some churches will ask u to present your HIv,genotype status before you wed.sometimes even pregnancy test.Now,I don't blame them much.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 20, 2015
ROCKHARDDK:
That's their cup of milo, milolo........Abeg me I need MTN card for personal use so very urgently, any Good hearted person can help me out with it......... I'm so broke like broken bottle.... 08167310666

Hahahaha! LOL! I LIKE YOUR STYLE.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 20, 2015
WOMEN AND THEIR WICKEDNESS.

THIS IS THE REASON WHY I KEEP TELLING GUYS TO CONSIDER FORGETTING THIS OVER HYPED MARRIAGE OF A THING IF THEY WANT PEACE AND HAPPYNESS.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by buoye1(m): 1:16pm On Apr 20, 2015
What ethics re u talking about!you said the Doctor defended himself beyond reasonable doubt with evidences from her file!

Wicked,demonic woman
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 20, 2015
just2simple:
I think d woman is nt havin d best interest of her hubby at heart. she should hav let her knw abt it so dat he could protect hmself. some women ar wicked sha.

Before nko! How many women today enter marriage with the interest of their husband at heart.

The man is an idio.t too, so he didn't go for test before marrying the selfish woman, in this era? what of genotype?

This is why I hate people that take decisions by emotions with a passion.

Kai! A man should take decisions with his head, for goodness.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 20, 2015
omicron:
I have had similar experience. The wife hid her HIV positive status from the husband till her death, and we as doctors learnt that at the point of her death. She still insisted no one should tell him. She died few hours after.

As a doctor, you should always ask an HIV positive person the people she has confided in regarding her status, and whom she would want you to disclose to. Whenever possible, this should be in writing.

No doctor has a right or duty to divulge any patient's information to another person, no matter how "close", even when the patient is dead. Unless in a case where non-disclosure of such information poses danger to the community...eg Ebola, lassa fever, etc.

The modern physician's Oath is there in my display pic
That your oath that allow you to ignore the harm being done to a fellow human without saying anything is barbaric to say the least. Now that that wicked wife is dead, the living husband who is probably positive and is out there infecting some innocent girls without his knowledge. I suppose HIV to you is a mild disease that will not harm anybody. I read someone wrote he will kill that woman, I will start the killing from the doctor that hid such information from me

1 Like

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by terzurum5(m): 1:37pm On Apr 20, 2015
I have struggled with this thought for quit a long time now, that some women are naturally jealous and wicked. A good number of them are only concered about their selfish interest even when they so claim to love and marry you. Some are just only interested in registering their names on the marriage list for their friends to know that they have also joined the league. They will never have your progress and interest at heart, all thay care for is 'I' and not 'our'. That is why some women feel so excited when you render help to their family relatives but give disapproval whenever the husband's relatives ask for same or come visiting.
This is why every man that wants to marry must not just pray for God to give him a virtous woman but pray for God to raise for him a virtous woman before the thought of marriage will come nucking.
I must at this juncture, state clearly that there are so many good women out there. And that not all are bad. May God bless them all.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Sierusvirus(m): 1:41pm On Apr 20, 2015
What a wicked world embarassed[color=#006600][/color]
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 20, 2015
[size=18pt]HIV is a hoax yall![/size]

HIV is does not exist !

google HIV hoax or search it on you tube.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by terzurum5(m): 1:59pm On Apr 20, 2015
I have struggled with this thought for quit a long time now, that some women are naturally jealous and wicked. A good number of them are only concerned about their selfish interest even when they so claim to love and be ready to marry you. Some are just only interested in registering their names on the marriage list for their friends to know that they have also joined the league. They will never have your progress and interest at heart, all they care for is 'I' and not 'our'. That is why some women feel so excited when you render help to their family relatives but give disapproval whenever the husband's relatives ask for same or come visiting.
This is why every man that wants to marry must not just pray for God to give him a virtous woman, but pray for God to raise for him a virtous woman before the thought of marriage will come nucking or cross your mind.
I must at this juncture, state clearly that there are so many good women out there. And that not all are bad. May God bless them all.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by amagzy: 2:04pm On Apr 20, 2015
omicron:
I have had similar experience. The wife hid her HIV positive status from the husband till her death, and we as doctors learnt that at the point of her death. She still insisted no one should tell him. She died few hours after.

As a doctor, you should always ask an HIV positive person the people she has confided in regarding her status, and whom she would want you to disclose to. Whenever possible, this should be in writing.

No doctor has a right or duty to divulge any patient's information to another person, no matter how "close", even when the patient is dead. Unless in a case where non-disclosure of such information poses danger to the community...eg Ebola, lassa fever, etc.

In these particular situation such information between the doctor nd d woman is no longer privileged bcoz d husband's life is in danger. The doctor can disclose such an information to d husband to check his status becoz he's most likely to b infected wit d virus as well.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by dnawah(m): 2:05pm On Apr 20, 2015
omicron:

are u a doc?
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by LordReed(m): 2:06pm On Apr 20, 2015
omicron:

I still don't understand the reasoning behind this. Is HIV/AIDS not as much an epidemic as Ebola? Is it not imperative that the spread is curtailed as much as possible by making sexually partners aware of positive status?

2 Likes

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by teenature(f): 2:09pm On Apr 20, 2015
Only in Nigeria. The doctor has a loose mouth. Do this abroad, your license is a goner
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by FEAO1985(m): 2:34pm On Apr 20, 2015
the man has the right to sue that LovePeddler of a woman for duplicity and jeopardizing his life.
in all probability she has infected him.
I pity the man
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by ochejagabriel: 2:38pm On Apr 20, 2015
ONLY 1 QUESTION

When Ebola came out, we heard of a camp where they keep ebola patients a.k.a quarantine.

I have never heard of a quarantine for people with AIDS. Esp when they are close to death.
Why?

They said my aunt had AIDS. She later died of diabetes. ARVs killed my aunt not Aids.

AIDS is a phocking hoax
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Benbisco(f): 2:51pm On Apr 20, 2015
sauceny:
I blame the man as well,for not properly knowing his spouses status.

So sorry to quote you, but are you aware that some people are so dishonest that they can keep such sensitive matters to themselves and not disclose even to their spouses?If he had asked her and she had said it was negative,with lab results showing negative, wetin the man go do?
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 20, 2015
Benbisco:

So sorry to quote you, but are you aware that some people are so dishonest that they can keep such sensitive matters to themselves and not disclose even to their spouses?If he had asked her and she had said it was negative,with lab results showing negative, wetin the man go do?

What do you mean by "so sorry to quote you"¿

Issues as sensitive as this is supposed to be
handled with utmost care,considering the fact he or she could fake/forge a result.... Its best you take him/her to your personal trusted doc & have him/her tested properly.
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 20, 2015
it is a crime in most countries (including Nigeria) to knowingly infect someone with a disease. I'm amazed at comments of some self-trained doctors. any legal action attempted by that lady's sure to backfire
Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 20, 2015
omicron:
Ignoring your sarcasm which is rather uncalled for and immature. I suppose you are emotional.

During Ebola crisis, MOH published names of all those infected.

Maybe WHO should publish names of all those infected with HIV so as to ensure the safety of those not infected? And all those with erectile disfunction, with PID, with genetic diseases too, and with all those diseases people wish to keep from whomever they wish to keep them from?

I speak from a professional standpoint, as a doctor. I have no business in people's personal lives. And should I choose to have a business with them, I get sued and lose chunks of money and possible means of livelihood for it. I do not become emotional, nor should I.

On which standpoint are you speaking from? Professional? Or emotional? Or religious?

I agree with you.

HIV is an STD and doesn't need the same level of declaration as Ebola.

In my opinion, the issue itself is not even HIV, a rather mild affliction these days that doesn't warrant the helter skelter approach of most Nigerians, the real issue is communication the couple. The Doctor has nothing to do with that and is simply an innocent party.

1 Like

Re: She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs by Edusouls(m): 3:36pm On Apr 20, 2015
IOAGEM:
The man will probably leave with the deceit from the woman for the rest of his life,the damage done to the man (phylosophycally) is far more huge than the implications of the revelation of the doctor on the woman.
I pity the man.
yees my brother i hear you, she has killed that man, made him a dead man walking with dreaded lies and deceit..the man lives in regret for even knowing such a serpent in woman form, the heart of some ladies are more deep, secretive,deceitful more than the devil himself,and every man should pray not to meet such in life, cos they devastate mens life...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 List Of STD's And Symptoms We May Or May Not Know / 14-Year-Old Pregnant Girl Commits Suicide In Nasarawa / Monkeys Snatch Coronavirus Blood Samples Of Patients In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.