Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags (30522 Views)

Federal Allocation In Buhari's 1st Year In Office / Female Hunter In Adamawa Who Fights Boko Haram / I Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office – Tinubu Brags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by shift15(m): 5:55pm On Apr 22, 2015
"I am a talent hunter. I put talents in office, I help them," says former Lagos state governor and opposition alliance leader Bola Tinubu, being quite open about his role as one of Nigeria's most powerful political godfathers.

"I use the best hand, the best brain, the best experience for the job," he told Reuters after voting this month in a governorship election in Nigeria's economic capital which, as expected, his handpicked candidate Akinwunmi Ambode won.

But it isn't only in his traditional fiefdom in the ethnic Yoruba southwest that Tinubu has sought to be a kingmaker. His support for former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari was seen as a key factor in the latter's win against President Goodluck Jonathan in the March 28 presidential election in Africa's biggest economy and oil producer.

The pro-Buhari alliance that Tinubu headed, the All Progressives Congress (APC), rallied elites around Buhari in the southwest, Nigeria's wealthiest region. That enabled Buhari to tackle a perception that his support lies only in the dust-blown, largely Muslim north. The religiously mixed southwest had voted overwhelmingly for Jonathan in the 2011 race.

So 'The Jagaban', an honorific title beloved of Tinubu's supporters, could have much say in what reform policies the new government will focus on, and who fills which cabinet posts.

"The party he led is half of the APC. He can ... lay claim to that power," said Clement Nwankwo of the Situation Room civil society group. "Buhari will feel (an) ... obligation to him."

To supporters Tinubu, a Yoruba Muslim, is a wily political operator with a passion for getting the job done and a knack for picking bright, committed technocrats to do it. To critics he is a ruthless godfather who doles out lucrative contracts to his friends' firms, insists on installing his man in office and is capable of sending in street thugs if he fails to get his way.

The APC, which came to power on anger over corruption and growing insecurity, has declined to speak publicly about policies.

THE JAGABAN

The Nigerian practice of political godfathering has long been criticized by rights campaigners as impeding democracy by enabling powerful oligarchs to capture state institutions.

But few deny that in Lagos, at least, the former governor managed to fix things no one thought fixable.

Under his tenure at the turn of the millennium and that of his successor Babatunde Fashola, a technocrat hand picked by Tinubu, the city scrubbed up dramatically. Trash got collected, crime fell, trees were planted and traffic was better managed.

"There were refuse mountains around, tax collection was very low," recalls Folarin Gbadebo-Smith, a former council leader under Tinubu. "But very quickly he seemed to sort things out."

Gbadebo-Smith noticed an advantage Tinubu has over other Nigerian "big men" is that you could disagree with him and he listened, changing his mind when faced with a good argument.

He also sets high standards, says Lagos waste management head Ola Oresanya, to whom Tinubu gave three months to make a noticeable difference or be fired.

"He likes to say 'I promised I would do this, and I have.'"

But like other powerful political figures in Nigeria, Tinubu's power resides largely in the huge patronage he wields, which has given him influence over, for instance, the 'area boys' -- Lagos street toughs who run rackets and guard cars. Ingeniously, he gave some of them uniforms and turned them into traffic cops.

After he voted on April 11, a group of area boys mobbed The Jagaban, and he lectured them on their disorderly behavior.

"If you want me to do something for you, line up in an orderly manner. Then I can share my peanuts," he told them, adding: "some of you have not even voted."

A day later, when celebrations erupted outside his home, two groups of area boys got into a fight over money that had been distributed and they began hitting each other with planks of wood, a Reuters reporter saw. But interviewed later, many of them said they loved Tinubu since "he's a man of the common people."

A businessman close to him says although Tinubu runs a formidable business empire, he is often short of cash because he gives so much away to oil the wheels of patronage.

Yet Tinubu may have less influence over Buhari than he had hoped, argues Kayode Akindele, CEO of consultancy 46 Parallels.

"He didn't really deliver in the southwest. It was only a slight lead," he said, compared to the absolute thumping Jonathan received from voters in the largely Muslim north.

"The APC, post-elections, is now very northern," he added. That could limit any influence The Jagaban has -- and replicate the north-south rivalry that divided Jonathan's outgoing party.

— Reuters

http://believeafrica.net/i-am-a-talent-hunter-i-put-talents-in-office-tinubu-brags-p588-114.htm

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by aderonila18: 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2015
It's a fact

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Elslim: 5:57pm On Apr 22, 2015
Fashola, Buhari... fact!

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by kilokeys(m): 5:57pm On Apr 22, 2015
enough talents of silver and gold in his pockets too

well.. fresh breath is obviously not his talent.. undecided

and i am very talented at comeback statements and insults.. quote me and see angry

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Oklander: 6:03pm On Apr 22, 2015
You can't take that from him…

41 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by tinuolababy(f): 6:18pm On Apr 22, 2015
True. Fashola, ambode

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Texcoco(m): 6:37pm On Apr 22, 2015
Puppet master of Bourdillon Road.....

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by mployer(m): 6:38pm On Apr 22, 2015
He brought only Fashola and He is already bragging.

Fashola that had to go against him, even sacked Ambode before he could deliver.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:41pm On Apr 22, 2015
shift15:
"I am a talent hunter. I put talents in office, I help them," says former Lagos state governor and opposition alliance leader Bola Tinubu, being quite open about his role as one of Nigeria's most powerful political godfathers.

"I use the best hand, the best brain, the best experience for the job," he told Reuters...

Yet Tinubu may have less influence over Buhari than he had hoped, argues Kayode Akindele, CEO of consultancy 46 Parallels.

"He didn't really deliver in the southwest. It was only a slight lead," he said, compared to the absolute thumping Jonathan received from voters in the largely Muslim north.

"The APC, post-elections, is now very northern," he added. That could limit any influence The Jagaban has -- and replicate the north-south rivalry that divided Jonathan's outgoing party.

— Reuters

I don't believe Tinubu's influence on Buhari would be limited because he didn't deliver enough SW votes in the Presidential elections!

Jagaban's work was done at the APC primaries. Buhari would have lost the primaries without Tinubu's support. And I believe Buhari knows this. So, Tinubu's influence need not ride on SW votes!

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Opinedecandid(m): 6:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
Who cares?

I also know that you are a froward hunter, very skilful in self aggrandisement.

4 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by ishiamu(m): 7:09pm On Apr 22, 2015
Elslim:
Fashola, Buhari... fact!

See this yellow tooth man...I don't blame you I blame Gej sha

2 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Elslim: 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2015
ishiamu:

See this yellow tooth man...I don't blame you I blame Gej sha
Thank you for blaming GEJ. Green tooth man

15 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by ishiamu(m): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2015
Elslim:

Thank you for blaming GEJ. Green tooth man

Yea yea
Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 22, 2015
No diggity!
Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Bonapart(m): 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
You meant to say you put criminals in office and improve their stealing ability undecided

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by SaiBuharii: 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
Jagaban one of Bougu Kingdom. Below are his talents in the West:

Fashola - Senior Advocate of Nigeria.
Ambode - Chartered Accountant with explicable experience
Amosun - FCA - Fellow Chartered Accountant
Aregebesola - Engineer
Ajimobi - Engineer with Experience with shell.
Fayemi - PhD holder with specialiazation in security matter etc.
Osinbanjo - Professor of Law

However in Ekiti they care for their stomachs and have decided to leave Jagaban out and elect a thug.

When other regions follow this footsteps. Then you will progress like the west. The north has started adopting this...but it's a problem implementing this in the east where a state like Abia has a huge talent like Alex Otti to take them to a new level after years of experience as the GMD of Diamond bank...but have decided to allow the most useless governor in Nigeria history rig elecTions for his candidate.

Jagaban Bougu...may you leave long Sir!!!

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by cana882(m): 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
Tinubu, does that mean your not talented enough to be the president??

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by AsherStorm(m): 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
jagaban of life

are u tired of turning ur house upside down in search if your
car key? get urself a key finder which locates ur key
wherever it is in the house... see details here
www.nairaland.com/2256680/get-all-u-want-
cheaply#32985289

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
I Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office''

10 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by jamex93(m): 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
yes!

na tru talk jor

3 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by niggi4life(m): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
In as much as his statement sounds like a brag he is most definitely correct as well.
Jagaban plays politics like playing ISS soccer on PS1 using Roberto carlos as striker on d left wing(becos of his shot accuracy) and ronaldo on d right (also shot accuracy 99)
Why Brazil no go dey win back den?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Tobilastik(m): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
who cares

BTW

6 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by major466(m): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
You mean talent for Coruption?

1 Like

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Ch1z0(m): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
Hmmmm..
Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by veekid(m): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
Na ur fault? [color=#006600][/color] shocked
Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by Hawlahscho(m): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
I didn't even read anything up there.

Thank God I still made 1st page even though devil and network tried their best.. But

[size=50pt]GOD WIN[/size]

4 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by simplemach(m): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
May be he is mistaking foolishness for talent. Somebody should please direct him.

4 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by ignis: 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
I don't blame him.
I blame the yorubas for sheepfully following him.

10 Likes

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by emeka2847: 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
Yes o
Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by tola9ja: 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
[size=18pt]the man get brain see what he said here [/size]

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'i Am A Talent Hunter, I Put Talents In Office' - Tinubu Brags by HzRF(m): 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
don fashi da mu mu kudi

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Reveals Primaries Method For Kogi 2019 Governorship Election / EFCC Seals Theodore Orji's Properties / Atiku Reacts As Buhari Signs "Not Too Young To Run" Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.