Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (133695 Views)

Top Twenty Most Developed Countries By HDI / Jonathan: Nigeria Will Join 20 Most Developed Countries By 2020 / The 5 Most Developed Countries In Africa Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by infotunnel: 5:21am On Jul 14, 2009
There's no way Angola is more beautiful than Naija. In short Abuja is more beautiful than Luanda.
Here's Luanda. My list

South Africa
Botswana
North Africans (All of them)

May be when we get electricity we can knock someone off the list, but for now we are somewhere near the bottom. Unfortunately.

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by hannibal1: 1:38am On Dec 19, 2009
That is an interesting comparison!

Forget hight towers or famous  footballers. In South Africa there is no security: you have to hire your own body guards to stay safe, so i won't consider moving in there soon.

This is my pick , but i might be wrong :

South Africa
All North African countries
Ghana as an emerging democracy - not economic
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by paddylo1(m): 1:37pm On Dec 19, 2009
1.south africa. . . . .GDP $277bln
2.Nigeria, GDP  $212bln
3.Egypt, GDP  $163bln
4.Angola, GDP  $83bln
5.Kenya, GDP  $35bln
6.rest of africa. . .make una slug am out

Link. . http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:NGA:EGY:KEN:ZAF:GHA:AGO:LBR:ZAR:BWA&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48

and for all u ppl talking about botswana or ghana. . .na because say una never travel out of nigeria b4.  . .
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by 4Play(m): 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2009
paddy_lo:

1.south africa. . . . .GDP $277bln
2.Nigeria, GDP  $212bln
3.Egypt, GDP  $163bln
4.Angola, GDP  $83bln
5.Kenya, GDP  $35bln
6.rest of africa. . .make una slug am out

Link. . http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:NGA:EGY:KEN:ZAF:GHA:AGO:LBR:ZAR:BWA&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48

and for all u ppl talking about botswana or ghana. . .na because say una never travel out of nigeria b4.  . .

GDP is the gross value of goods and services produced in a country so simply totting up Nigeria's GDP and placing it alongside other African states is silly. Nigeria has a population of at least 150 million.

Imagine 2 households, one composed of 10 people with gross income of $100k and another household of 4 people with gross income of $60k, which household do you think is better off?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by paddylo1(m): 1:53pm On Dec 19, 2009
GDP is the gross value of goods and services produced in a country so simply totting up Nigeria's GDP and placing it alongside other African states is silly. Nigeria has a population of at least 150 million.

Imagine 2 households, one composed of 10 people with gross income of $100k and another household of 4 people with gross income of $60k, which household do you think is better off?

that is exactly why u have to look at GDP. . .

if not then a country like equatorial guinea will be considered richer than america. . because of small population. .

i will give u another example. . .if lagos was to break away and become a country in africa. . its GDP will be larger than 40african countries
or if u take abuja its almost the same thing
my point is all this african countries u mention are one city state countries that have tiny populations
u cant compare that to serious countries like nigeria southafrica or egypt. . its just being silly. . .
better to compare Ghana to lagos. . .
Lagos GDP, $34bln
Ghana GDP, $16bln

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by 4Play(m): 2:01pm On Dec 19, 2009
paddy_lo:

that is exactly why u have to look at GDP. . .

if not then a country like equatorial guinea will be considered richer than america. . because of small population. .

i will give u another example. . .if lagos was to break away and become a country in africa. . its GDP will be larger than 40african countries
or if u take abuja its almost the same thing
my point is all this african countries u mention are one city state countries that have tiny populations
u cant compare that to serious countries like nigeria southafrica or egypt. . its just being silly. . .
better to compare Ghana to lagos. . .
Lagos GDP, $34bln
Ghana GDP, $16bln

Your point is ridiculous. Who gives a hell about gross income when the average Botswanan is better off than the average Nigerian. So because Nigeria's GDP is larger than the UAE's GDP, Nigeria is more developed or wetin?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by debosky(m): 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2009
4 Play:

Your point is ridiculous. Who gives a hell about gross income when the average Botswanan is better off than the average Nigerian. So because Nigeria's GDP is larger than the UAE's GDP, Nigeria is more developed or wetin?

Not only is it ridiculous, it is off point - no one is asking which is the biggest country with the biggest GDP. The thread is, what are the 5 most developed and that is not dependent on gross GDP or population, but more on GDP per head, standard of living and other such measures.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by paddylo1(m): 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2009

GDP is the wealth/output of a nation measured in dollars. . .if u dont want to recognize that as a valid measure,then its your problem not mine

with your so-called measure,the average botswanan is also better off than the average indian. . .since indias GDP per capita is only $800. .
chinas gdp per capita is also about $5,500.
i guess botswana is also more developed than india and china since their GDP per capita is $13,000 cause of the tiny population there. . .
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by debosky(m): 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2009
paddy_lo:

GDP is the wealth/output of a nation measured in dollars. . .if u dont want to recognize that as a valid measure,then its your problem not mine

with your so-called measure,the average botswanan is also better off than the average indian. . .since indias GDP per capita is only $800. .
chinas gdp per capita is also about $5,500.
i guess botswana is also more developed than india and china since their GDP per capita is $13,000 cause of the tiny population there. . .

The ultimate measure of development is the well being of your citizens - so on that measure. . . .YES!

There's no point being a big lumbering giant (aka Nigeria) and not be able to develop your nation to improve your standard of living.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by paddylo1(m): 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2009
Not only is it ridiculous, it is off point - no one is asking which is the biggest country with the biggest GDP. The thread is, what are the 5 most developed and that is not dependent on gross GDP or population, but more on GDP per head, standard of living and other such measures.

u can see my post above. . .or i will renew it below

Nigeria GDP per head, $2300
China GDP per head, $5,500
India GDp per head, $800

botswana GDP per head, $13,000

so i guess from your arguement botswana is more developed than india,china and nigeria combined. . .ode
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by 4Play(m): 2:26pm On Dec 19, 2009
paddy_lo:

u can see my post above. . .or i will renew it below

Nigeria GDP per head, $2300
China GDP per head, $5,500
India GDp per head, $800

botswana GDP per head, $13,000

so i guess from your arguement botswana is more developed than india,china and nigeria combined. . .ode

In terms of wealth, I would rather be a Botswanan than Indian, Chinese or Nigerian. This Paddy Lo is thick. Effectively, he is saying than Nigeria is more developed than the United Arab Emirates or Ireland.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by naliakar: 2:31pm On Dec 19, 2009
A combination of factors including the GDP, the Human index and probably what Buthan came up with , i.e, Gross National Happiness (GNH)

I think if one were to try and ascertain from a country's citizenry whether or not they are happy with the state of affairs in their countries (all dimensions), and take the median response,  it might just be possible to come out with a clear scale of developed to least developed African countries. As it is now, GDP cannot be wished away that easily and per capita income, which would then have Botswana and SA sharing the top position.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by 4Play(m): 2:31pm On Dec 19, 2009
paddy_lo:

[b]GDP is the wealth/output of a nation measured in dollars. . .if u dont want to recognize that as a valid measure,then its your problem not mine

You are a consummate olodo. So if a nation of 100m produces $1bn compared to a nation of 10m producing $900m, the nation of 100m is more developed than the nation of 10m? Wouldn't your bovine brain question why the 100 million people are not producing as much per person as the 10 million. That is the true measure of development. Otherwise, one can claim that Nigeria is more developed than Israel despite having lesser GDP per capita.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by paddylo1(m): 2:40pm On Dec 19, 2009
In terms of wealth, I would rather be a Botswanan than Indian, Chinese or Nigerian. This Paddy Lo is thick. Effectively, he is saying than Nigeria is more developed than the United Arab Emirates or Ireland.

good for u. . .i would rather be nigerian. . .

ireland had a huge property boom that is popping as we speak. . .there is nothing unique about the economy there

as for U.A.E they have oil as we. . .just a tiny population thats all,

see link below

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:NGA:IRL:BWA:ARE&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by paddylo1(m): 2:49pm On Dec 19, 2009
You are a consummate olodo. So if a nation of 100m produces $1bn compared to a nation of 10m producing $900m, the nation of 100m is more developed than the nation of 10m? Wouldn't your bovine brain question why the 100 million people are not producing as much per person as the 10 million. That is the true measure of development. Otherwise, one can claim that Nigeria is more developed than Israel despite having lesser GDP per capita.

again u keep shooting yourself in the foot. . .

i will pro rate nigeria and Ghana GDP

nigeria population 150mil, GDP $212billion

ghanas population 25million  GDP $16bln

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:NGA:GHA&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48

if u prorate ghanas population up to 150 milion. . .thats 25million X 6, and multiply $16billion by 6

u get $96billion. . .less than half of nigerias GDP. . .

u can do this for almost all african countries and see that very few will surpass nigeria when pro-rated for population

but i dont expect u to get it though. . .perhaps u havent visited nigeria in 20yrs and only hear bad news from CNN
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by honeric01(m): 3:50pm On Dec 19, 2009
UHM, na una know who develop and who no develop, just give me light, and i will be richer than most of the people living in America and Uk combined.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by hannibal1: 10:26pm On Dec 20, 2009
Well, to be honest, I wonder if there is any

We Africans, we are hot-headed and selfish - that's  our main problem. It has nothing do with intelligence or natural resources
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by joseeric: 10:12am On Jan 19, 2010
1.south africa. . . . . GDP $277bln
2.Nigeria, GDP $212bln
3.Egypt, GDP $205bln
4.Tunisia/Morocco GDP $187bln
5.Angola, GDP $123bln
6.Algeria GDP $112bln
7.Kenya, GDP $85bln
8.Botswana GDP $78 bln

Guys,Development is measured by GDP.Percapita is useless.Travel around and compare living standards of individuals and see the poverty rocking African countries like Gabon and Guinea who have high per capita income.
The Africa countries which enjoy quality life in average are:
1.Egypt
2.South Africa
3.Tunisia
4.Nigeria
5.Ghana
6.Kenya
7.Botswana

Guys.Percapita income is useless if individuals leads poor lives
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by edoyad(m): 10:37am On Jan 19, 2010
Joseric those figures of yours are not current, google african GDP and notice that South Africa now has a GDP of well over $400 billion
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by joseeric: 12:11pm On Jan 19, 2010
Yes you are right,but the list reflect some order I guess.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by edoyad(m): 12:59pm On Jan 19, 2010
@Joseric but one uses GDP per capita income which is a better reflection you know we fare much worse than many African countries, don't you ?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by joseeric: 1:26pm On Jan 19, 2010
Yes I know we fair worse in GDP,but am talking about wealth distribution.
Can you imagine country like Chad has hig
her per capita income than Naija, but the poverty bites to the spinal cord.

# 27 Chad: $1,744.00
# 28 Comoros: $1,717.00
# 29 São Tomé and Príncipe: $1,638.00
# 30 Togo: $1,600.00
# 31 Côte d'Ivoire: $1,475.00
# 32 Rwanda: $1,431.00
# 33 Congo, Republic of the: $1,379.00
# 34 Mozambique: $1,335.00
# 35 Burkina Faso: $1,326.00
# 36 Nigeria: $1,188.00
# 37 Central African Republic: $1,163.00

Sudan has a GDP of $2417 almost 2 times more than Nigeria but close to 70% of the population(Families) lives b below $1 per day.
Which means they cannot afford daily meals unless international agencies convene.
Nothing to be called roads infrastructure.

What am trying to picture here is the well being of indivinduals,not the wealth at the disposal of the government / big bellied politicians to squander.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by akinalabi(m): 2:12pm On Jan 19, 2010
Naija cant be in the top 5 in anyway.

But those mentioning Ghana should pleeaaseee stop
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by mojojojo(m): 11:43pm On Jan 19, 2010
Naija  is definitely in the top three.
I  had a sudanese friend that was amazed when he saw Kano and speechless when he saw Abuja. He spent hours on the phone describing to his friends back home about the buildings, roads and people.
Many people have not been to other african countries yet are giving Nigeria a low score. On the world stage Nigeria may not be something, but in Africa we are numera uno in may things.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by ezeagu(m): 12:17am On Jan 20, 2010
mojojojo:

Naija is definitely in the top three.
I had a sudanese friend that was amazed when he saw Kano and speechless when he saw Abuja. He spent hours on the phone describing to his friends back home about the buildings, roads and people.
Many people have not been to other african countries yet are giving Nigeria a low score. On the world stage Nigeria may not be something, but in Africa we are numera uno in may things.

Great, but there's only one problem, he's from Sudan. . . . . . . . Top three with no constant electricity? I don't think so.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by ziga: 12:27am On Jan 20, 2010
Nigeria is definitely in the top 5 whether we like it or not.

We have a lot of eyes on us, and it is not just because of our potential.

That is also why we are judged with higher standards.

And things that we(Nigerians) have been used to thinking are trivial will become big news for the world.

P.S. I'm not saying this to big up Nigeria, just trying to state my unbiased opinion.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by joseeric: 8:08am On Jan 21, 2010
@Ziga

How many countries in Africa have you been?Me I have been to 18 countries, to start with :-
1.SUDAN(stretching from north to south), Guys here survive by the mercy of God.Their currency is very strong , they export alot of oil but dont understand the meaning here coz the poverty index is well above 80% if am not wrong.
2.EGYPT is like they are not part of Africa continent.Foolish poverty does not exist and they have very good policies in place.Cairo is like its in another planet.They are self sufficient in agriculture though the whole country is a desert.Transport sector is fanatstic(high speed diesel trains, electric trains plying allover Cairo and Alexandria like busses,Roads are super class,one of the biggest airports in Africa and middle east),Best education.Peace prevails all over and security is the best in the continet 24/7.
3.DRC , the country with the highest mineral resources in Africa is completely down coz of political instability.There are some goons with lots of money coz of minerals but the rest of the population struggles with poverty.
4.CAMEROON is damaged by corruption but the manufacturing and agriculture economies are good.Roads have been neglected,, wealth is with few pple, but not so bad though it supplies processed goods to Chad, Gabon and Congo Brazzaville.
5.ZAMBIA is not doing so well despite having alot of copper
6.ZIMBAMBWE is dead.

7.SOUTH AFRICA is no boubt  the giant of Africa(allaround economy) tho unemployment still bites a little with lots of muggers  and pick pockets in Johannesburg.Best education institutions are there.
They are hosting world cup this year. They have build next generation stadia which will be a benefit after the world cup.They willl reap alot from the world and their status is changed for good.They are one of the G20 members.They are top 20 industriaqlized countries in the world.Biggest airline in africa.

8.RWANDA is trying to recover from 1994 genocide but poverty and poor wealth distribution still persist.They rely heavily on agriculture and they are yet to have local proffesionals, they depend on Chinese, Kenyans and Ugandans brains.

9.BURUNDI is almost on its knees even you can see from peoples faces at Bunjubura the capital city,but of late they signed cease fire with rebels and things will improve.
10.UGANDA  is trying, Agriculture is doing well,Education sector one of the best,they recently struck oil and if they dont get the oil curse they will do fine.A country to watch!!
11.TANZANIA is doing well in agriculture,tourism,diamond mining,.Wealth is distributed well accross the country but percapita is low.

12.KENYA  is the power house of East and cental Africa dominating agriculture.,education,manufacturing(you will always see "made in Kenya" on almost 85% of anything you consume with industrial zone covering 1/3 of nairobi the capital city),banking,Transport ,infrastructure,tourism and ICT technology markets(THE FIRST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD TO SEND MONEY VIA MOBILE PHONE BACK IN 2004),,the country equally developed but corruption in the government  still sucks  but the corrruption effect doesnt afeect the economic growth on the downward terend, they are shooting high no matter what.Multinational companies prefer to have their Head Quaters for Africa in Nairobi due to its position to penetrate the continent(thanks to kenya Airways and friendly policies) and that is giving Kenya advantege.USA also uses Kenya as Terrorist fighting base and that comes with a package and risks of being alqaeda targets also.These have made good progress in creating employments copuled with well eductaed population and good business policies.

13.SOMALI  is a failed state.

14.GABON is ok  coz of oil revenues ,but corruption is too much and is like they never manufacture anything locally, they import even beer.
15.ETHIOPIA is another stable country but they dont embrace technolgy.they are rigid to change. but they are  well at least in several sectors.like infrastructure,electricity,transport.
16.DJIBOUTI no comments.
17.SAO TOME , A population of 150,000 people, is like  everybody knows each other,  they depend on international aid  , but they hope to strike oil at the coast line,
18.Angola, A force to reckon, Lots of money coming in , infrastructure coming up day and night, wait and see.

FINALLY NAIJA-HOME., Has the highest number of cars(close to the total of the continent),biggest  oil exporter,Lots of educated population,the biggest local trade with lots of it population being business men , every european country need to market in NAIJA, electricity is in a mess,Has the gighest urbanisation, guys have money to spend around,
we are the  highest in corruption in the continent(but this is because every eye is on us, there are other countries which are equally corrupt e.g Cameroon).Nigeria syas alot as far as africa is concerned.Toughest business men emege from here.best brains are here even if is frauds or hacking systems talk of Nigeria, We are the only country in the world where an indivindual cannot send money out of the country by western union coz of the fraud threat and that says alot on innovation.
Movie industry is also doing so well , Nigerian movies are viewed allover the continet.Some countries think Naija is an extraordinary place.They fancy Nollywood actors and actress even to an extent of naming their kids after them. grin grin
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by yoruba: 8:20am On Jan 21, 2010
Finally NAIJA, Has the highest number of cars(close to the total of the continent),biggest  oil exporter,Lots of educated populatio,the biggest local trade with lots of it population being business men , every european country need to market in NAIJA, electricity is in a mess,Has the gighest urbanisation, guys have money to spend around,
we are the  highest in corruption in the continent(but this is because every eye is on us, there are other countries which are equally corrupt e.g Cameroon),
South Africa has biggest car production in all of Africa and the biggest production of right hand steering cars in the Southern Hemisphere.
70% of European investment coming in to Africa is invested in South Africa.
South Africa is the biggest investor to Africa(Including Naija)
Politically; All of Southern Africa region bows down to South Africa.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by yoruba: 8:27am On Jan 21, 2010
South Africa:
1. The rand was the best performing currency against the US Dollar between 2002 and 2005
(Bloomberg Currency Scoreboard)
2. South Africa has 55,000 high net-wealth individuals holding at least US$1million in financial assets
(World Wealth Report 2008)
3. South Africa has the 27th biggest economy in the world, with a Gross Domestic Product of US$254 billion
(World Bank)
4. South Africa accounts for almost 25% of the GDP of the entire African continent.
(World Bank)
5. Gauteng is South Africa’s smallest province but produces 34% of South Africa’s Gross Domestic Product
(Stats SA)
6. The JSE Securities Exchange is the 14th largest equities exchange in the world, with a total market capitalisation of some R2.3 trillion
(JSE)
7. More than 12,000 'Black Diamond' families (South Africa’s new black middle class) - or 50,000 people - are moving from the townships into the suburbs of South Africa's metro areas every month
(UCT Unilever Institute)
8. The black middle class grew by 30% in 2005, adding another 421,000 black adults to SA's middle-income layer and ramping up the black population's share of SA's total middle class to almost a third. Between 2001 and 2004, there were 300,000 new black entrants to the middle class
(Financial Mail)
9. South Africa has the world’s largest deposits of gold, chromium, platinum and manganese. Has been the number 1 producer of gold since 1905 and has mined more than 60% of the earth's gold.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Mpele(m): 8:33am On Jan 21, 2010
Without a doubt, South Africa is the most developed country in Africa, our economy is the biggest in the continent, we're a member of the G20!
our infrastructure is even better than some in Europe and Ameria.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by yoruba: 8:46am On Jan 21, 2010
Johannesburg:
Has the record for the biggest deposits of gold in the world, known as eGoli which means city of gold. It is the 18th largest city by land area and was known to be one of the fastest growing cities in the world. It has the biggest infrastructure in Africa, so big that it could host the African Nations Cup alone: Soccer city Stadium: 90 000 capacity; Ellis Park: 69 000 capacity; Orlando Stadium: 40 000 capacity; Rand Stadium: 35 000 capacity.
It has the biggest urban forest in the world, Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto is the biggest hospital in the Southern Hemisphere. The tallest building in Africa is in Johannesburg (Carlton centre)
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by bkbaybe99: 11:41am On Jan 21, 2010
Mpele:

Without a doubt, South Africa is the most developed country in Africa, our economy is the biggest in the continent, we're a member of the G20!
our i[b]nfrastructure is even better than some in Europe and Ameria[/b].

If u say yall got better infrastructure than places in europe, i'll assume u mean places like kosovo and Albania, so i'ma let u slide. But if u ever, ever, ever, compare ya'll infrastructure to anywhere in America I'll hope to God u mean South America and not the blessed continent of North America. Matter fact, if u mean North America, for your own good I hope I hope your mind aint crossing the Mexican border. If u as much as even dare compare your country to the mighty United States or its lil Binch ho, Canada, I will come ova to whereva u at and slap the hell out your Lucky Dube murdering azsss!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breaking News - Another Explosion In Kaduna Today / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.