Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (133688 Views)

Top Twenty Most Developed Countries By HDI / Jonathan: Nigeria Will Join 20 Most Developed Countries By 2020 / The 5 Most Developed Countries In Africa Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by yoruba: 12:19pm On Jan 21, 2010
bk_baybe99:

If u say yall got better infrastructure than places in europe, i'll assume u mean places like kosovo and Albania, so i'ma let u slide. But if u ever, ever, ever, compare ya'll infrastructure to anywhere in America I'll hope to God u mean South America and not the blessed continent of North America. Matter fact, if u mean North America, for your own good I hope I hope your mind aint crossing the Mexican border. If u as much as even dare compare your country to the mighty United States or its lil Binch ho, Canada, I will come ova to whereva u at and slap the hell out your Lucky Dube murdering azsss!!!!
Here we go again with the insults embarassed
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Mpele(m): 12:53pm On Jan 21, 2010
@bk baybe 99. Did U read what I wrote, or U're just running u're bad breathed mouth. I said some in Europe and America. Get u're facts straight. What does Lucky Dube have to do with this. Growing up surrounded by jujus and baboons in Nigeria have clearly affected u're reasoning capacity, if U have any by the way! Get a life U nasty piece of kak!! tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by yoruba: 12:57pm On Jan 21, 2010
Mpele:

@bk baybe 99. Did U read what I wrote, or U're just running u're bad breathed mouth. I said some in Europe and America. Get u're facts straight. What does Lucky Dube have to do with this. Growing up surrounded by jujus and baboons in Nigeria have clearly affected u're reasoning capacity, if U have any by the way! Get a life U nasty piece of kak!! tongue tongue tongue tongue
Here we go again with the insults
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by edoyad(m): 1:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
Development can be measured using the HDI as released by the UN. Where is beaf when you need him ?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by honeric01(m): 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2010
Mpele:

not everyone that post on nairaland is a Nigerian, this guy can't be a Nigerian so stop insulting Nigerians at any slight chance.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by bkbaybe99: 7:09pm On Jan 21, 2010
Mpele:

@bk baybe 99. Did U read what I wrote, or U're just running u're bad breathed mouth. I said some in Europe and America. Get u're facts straight. What does Lucky Dube have to do with this. [b]Growing up surrounded by jujus and baboons in Nigeria [/b]have clearly affected u're reasoning capacity, if U have any by the way! Get a life U nasty piece of kak!! tongue tongue tongue tongue

Looolollol!!! Baboons in Brooklyn? Thats what yall call em now? Around my way we just call them Crip niccas 'goons'. Oh well, I guess every hood got they own slangs!!! M.o.r.on, I see u and ur fellow South Africans be comin on here talking mad ish to the Nigerians and talkin em down thinking cus ur country got two lil diesel powered mass transit trains yall automatically the nicest thing since sliced bread!!! Now u got the nerve to come thru comparing that Aids fest to this heaven on earth. Like the O.G around my way be asking when i do something dumb, I ask u, "Is u crazy,son?". Dont ever compare that ish hole to the first world. I guess the saying is true tho, " In the kingdom of the blind. . . . "

honeric01:

not everyone that post on nairaland is a Nigerian, this guy can't be a Nigerian so stop insulting Nigerians at any slight chance.

And thats the main reason I went at his Aids ravished jugular. I been reading his posts and I see he always here all high and mighty thinkn cus they got white people made they lil ghettos better that all a sudden they better than Nigerians. lol. Dont know why yall never put him in his place!!!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by EzeCanada: 9:11pm On Jan 21, 2010
South Africa Only.

However Angola, Ghana, Mauritius and Botswana are getting there gradually.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Mpele(m): 8:02am On Jan 22, 2010
@ bk baybe! Stop talkin for the Americans! Talk about u're own little slump called Nigeria. The Americans can talk for themselves! I've stayed in Canada but I don't talk on behalf of Canadians!

Who the hell do U think U're, speakin for the Americans! grin grin
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by honeric01(m): 9:42am On Jan 22, 2010
Mpele:

@ bk baybe! Stop talkin for the Americans! Talk about u're own little slump called Nigeria. The Americans can talk for themselves! I've stayed in Canada but I don't talk on behalf of Canadians!

is this thread about SA and NGR?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by bkbaybe99: 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2010
Mpele:

@ bk baybe! Stop talkin for the Americans! Talk about u're own little slump called Nigeria. T[b]he Americans can talk for themselves[/b]! I've stayed in Canada but I don't talk on behalf of Canadians!

You just an idiot aint u?lol. Monkey!!! I AM AMERICAN!!! Not a single drop of Nigerian blood in me! Can I speak on behalf of my country now?    S. Tupid!!!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by VPersie: 6:51pm On Jan 22, 2010
@bk baybee 99

God go punish you. You liar! Make I die, if you be American. Oniro oshi.

1 Like

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by sharr: 12:52am On Mar 29, 2010
south africa
egypt
kenya
libya
nigeria
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by RichyBlacK(m): 1:01am On Mar 29, 2010
1. Somalia
2. Zimbabwe
3. Nigeria
4. Congo
5. Sudan
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by UcheUwadi(m): 2:01am On Mar 29, 2010
If you are talking about it from terms of infrastructure I would include:

1. South Africa
2. Namibia
3. Egypt
4. Tunisia
5. Algeria
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by marocguy(m): 11:27am On Mar 29, 2010
S.A,Nigeria,Botswana,Egypt,kenya,
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by joseeric: 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2010
@RichyBlacK (m)
Come back to ur senses!!
Somali?Congo?Sudan? May be Zimbabwe before Mugabe made great mistakes.

@ sharr your order reflects something good.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Shoot2Kill: 9:48pm On Mar 30, 2010
1-South Africa (infrastructure is better than the Uk's,france,Ireland,sweden and iceland)
2-Botswana (fastest growing economy)
3-Namibia (great infrastructure and agriculture)
4-Mauritius (world class tourist destination)
5-Seychelles (world class tourist destination)

6-Zimbabwe (great infrastructure ,similar to south africa,recovering economy)
7-Angola (Rapid infrastructural development,great economy)
8-Kenya(reasonable infrastructure,tourist destination)
9-Tanzania (Tourist destination)
10-Uganda (great economy ,up and coming infrastructure)
11-Mozambique (Tourist destination,up and coming infrastructure)
12-Ghana (great democracy,up and coming infrastructure)

13-Egypt (arabian infrastructure ,corrupt government,tourist destination)
14-Morocco (arabian infrastructure ,tourist destination)
15-Nigeria (Mismanaged economy,terrible infrastructure,corrupt government,great agriculture,bad reputation worldwide)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by joseeric: 7:14pm On Mar 31, 2010
@Shoot2Kill
I agree with you to some extend.But Egypt is too good to miss top 5.
Well,most of the Countries in Africa are working hard on infrastructure.For example In Kenya,Ethiopia infrastructure is given the biggest portion of budget.These two countries are a force to watch in the coming 2 years;World class highways are under way there,Modernized ports,Airports are under construction;light gauge high speed railways criss crossing Kenya joining neighboring countries is also underway.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by elelem(m): 1:20am On Apr 16, 2010
South Africa Ghana Libya Angola Kenya
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by DieDuine: 8:07am On May 26, 2010
Ola gents I'am Namibian i'v been to SA(2007,2008),Botswana(2006),Ghana(2009),Nigeria(2009) and Angola(2010), Non of these countries with except S.A and maybe Botswana compare up to Namibia, Iam yet to see North Africa but if I Were to give sub-saharan rankings:South Africa,Namibia,Botswana,Mauritious,there rest need drastic improvement, My rankings are based on a combination of factors which include Infrustructure,Political stability(very important),Economy and general quality of life,
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by adecent1: 2:59am On Jun 18, 2010
GDP is the wealth/output of a nation measured in dollars. . .if u dont want to recognize that as a valid measure,then its your problem not mine

with your so-called measure,the average botswanan is also better off than the average indian. . .since indias GDP per capita is only $800. .
chinas gdp per capita is also about $5,500.
i guess botswana is also more developed than india and china since their GDP per capita is $13,000 cause of the tiny population there. . .

Per Capita GDP is practically USELESS when comparing the Development of a country. What matters is the Actual GDP of the country and the Growth rate.

It is practically baseless to call Botswana anywhere near India/China/South-Africa. Yeah, their "Income" is "Impressive" but then, there is much more than just mere Income, !!

As an Indian, I can say, You need to visit a country to know what truly lies in it, !! As of what India is advertized in America and England, you'd feel it's a country of the Poor, You need to come here and see the true picture. Indians are amongst the richest in the World.

As for Africa, It is advertized as a country of Poor dying without food. But, actually its Beautiful, !! The beaches, the people, the culture, It's AWESOME, !!

A Country's development must be measured according to how happy it's people are. I believe the people from Nigeria must be very happy coz I can see Passion in their Posts, !!

G'day
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by BotsBabe: 3:09pm On Oct 03, 2010
South Africa
Botswana

i knw this countries are in the top 5 , by the way m frm Botswana and Nigerians needs to learn a thing o two frm Botswana and South Africa , Botswana's growth is helped by its peaceful and good natured people, whereas many Nigerians( not all) are always bragging about what they dont have, and arrogance nature wnt put you in the top 5 , everyone knows the truth about you, stop arguing and try to do as the diamonds of Africa do, as a Motswana i have a free education (all batswana do),free health ,free everything can you imagine itz like living in paradise, infrastructure does not mean you are rich people, and the last thing how many Batswana and South Africans look for jobs in Nigeria , none , and how many Nigerians are flooding our countries looking for riches millions, evn Naira does not compare to Botswana or South african currency no, you can compare yourself with others countries bt not this 2 giants, tongue by da way my family is from south africa and botswana dat is y i knw alot bout them,
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 03, 2010
accring to Wikipeidia

Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, the eighth most populous country in the world, and the most populous country in the world in which the majority of the population is black. It is listed among the "Next Eleven" economies, and is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. The economy of Nigeria is one of the fastest growing in the world, with the International Monetary Fund projecting a growth of 9% in 2008 and 8.3% in 2009.[7][8][9][10] It is the third largest economy in Africa, it is also the largest exporter of oil in Africa[11] and is a regional power that is also the hegemon in West Africa.

That makes Nigeria the first in its region so maybe the others are South africa, Egypt Morroco and Angola
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by AjanleKoko: 10:04am On Oct 04, 2010
a_decent_1:

As an Indian, I can say, You need to visit a country to know what truly lies in it, !! As of what India is advertized in America and England, you'd feel it's a country of the Poor, You need to come here and see the true picture. Indians are amongst the richest in the World.

Dream on dude.
India is a horrible place. I've seen all the big cities in India. It's worse than some places in Africa. Rich people my azz.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by mbulela: 10:32am On Oct 04, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Dream on dude.
India is a horrible place. I've seen all the big cities in India. It's worse than some places in Africa. Rich people my azz.

No mind Indians and this there half baked lies.
crappy over populated place.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by mbulela: 10:38am On Oct 04, 2010
i am late to this party but we need to agree on the indices of measuring development first of all.
Is it infrastructure, GDP, poverty level, democracy, urbanization etc.
which one.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by AjanleKoko: 11:53am On Oct 04, 2010
mbulela:

i am late to this party but we need to agree on the indices of measuring development first of all.
Is it infrastructure, GDP, poverty level, democracy, urbanization etc.
which one.

I would say the first three. I'm not particularly into 'democracy' as a sole drive of growth.
Even the communists like North Korea refer to their system as a 'democracy'. It's an over-used word.

GDP can't be ignored, because it is an important indicator of purchasing power in any nation. I was just chatting with a Senegalese friend, who was thinking of coming over to NG to deepen his work experience. I told him SA would be a better bet. We may have a large economy, but productivity, and by consequence, jobs creation, is very low in Nigeria. SA scores way higher in this regard.

Infrastructure is the most important, cos that will drive productivity, and GDP will go up ultimately. Apart from SA, not too many African nations are well-developed in terms of infrastructure. Even Egypt is not particularly great, nor any of the Maghreb nations, in terms of infrastructure.

Nigeria has a lot of infrastructure development, albeit severely run-down. We have the most extensive road network in Africa, but most of the roads are in shambles. We've got more power plants than most countries (though most are dead), we've got refineries (also dead), more universities than any other African nation (in tatters, maybe the private schools will become challengers in the future), etc.

I would also add one, literacy level. I'll attach something from Mckinsey, which lends credence to Botswana being on the list. Many of the SADEC nations have a high literacy level, although you have serious poverty in Zambia and Zim.

1 Like

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by bzxfr: 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2011
honeric01:

Βουκέφαλος:

accring to Wikipeidia

Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, the eighth most populous country in the world, and the most populous country in the world in which the majority of the population is black. It is listed among the "Next Eleven" economies, and is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. The economy of Nigeria is one of the fastest growing in the world
BotsBabe link=topic=227392.msg6866891#msg6866891 date=1286114962:

South Africa
Botswana

i knw this countries are in the top 5 , by the way m frm Botswana and Nigerians needs to learn a thing o two frm Botswana and South Africa , Botswana's growth is helped by its peaceful and good natured people, whereas many Nigerians( not all) are always bragging about what they dont have, and arrogance nature wnt put you in the top 5 , everyone knows the truth about you, stop arguing and try to do as the diamonds of Africa do, as a Motswana i have a free education (all batswana do),free health ,free everything can you imagine itz like living in paradise, infrastructure does not mean you are rich people, and the last thing how many Batswana and South Africans look for jobs in Nigeria , none , and how many Nigerians are flooding our countries looking for riches millions, evn Naira does not compare to Botswana or South african currency no, you can compare yourself with others countries bt not this 2 giants, tongue by da way my family is from south africa and botswana dat is y i knw alot bout them,
, with the International Monetary Fund projecting a growth of 9% in 2008 and 8.3% in 2009.[7][8][9][10] It is the third largest economy in Africa, grin grin grin grin it is also the largest exporter of oil in Africa[11] and is a regional power that is also the hegemon in West Africa.

That makes Nigeria the last in its region so maybe the others are South africa, Egypt Morroco and Angola
Dis man is 60% right about naija but cheesy about botswana.Kenya's economy and infrastructure is twice larger than botswana and yet not among the top 5.So do your research about de topic before taipin!!!!!!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 04, 2011
For me - South Africa followed by Nigeria.

Everywhere else na kpako.

All these ones talking Morrocco, Egypt etc, outside Rabat or Cairo, all na desert and kpako.

Botswana? Is that even up to the population of Abuja?

Or VI?

Ghana? Please don't make me laugh. That bubble has been burst long ago. Lagos alone has a higher GDP than Ghana, Burkina Faso, Togo, and Benin put together.

SO WHAT EXACTLY ARE WE COMPARING NIGERIA WITH THESE VILLAGES FOR?

After SA, na Naija. Finito.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by fio(m): 10:55pm On Sep 26, 2011
(1.)south africa
(2.)Nigeria
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by influenc12(m): 12:22am On Sep 27, 2011
So much to say, but what are the parameters for measuring development. of course, Electricity, Social infrastructure, , the list goes on, and of recent ICT penetration. Believe me, ICT has now become the universal denominator

P.S. lets all get better at our ICT skills and see how miraculously the ratings/statistics will change!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by igbo2011(m): 1:05pm On Sep 27, 2011
1. South Africa
2. Nigeria
3. Egypt
4. Botswana
5. Ghana

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breaking News - Another Explosion In Kaduna Today / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.