Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,745 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) (6771 Views)

This KOWA Man Gives The Way-out Of Current Bad Government [photo] / Hilarious! PDP Vs APC Government (photo) / Kaduna Beggars Protest Ban By Government (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by idu1(m): 12:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
appini:

Na evening I dey here oo.

Na lie jor tongue

1 Like

Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by onegig(m): 1:35pm On Apr 24, 2015
I thought i was the only one that noticed this the last time i was in town.. Roads were going bad with potholes in areas you can never had seen them during Duke's time, cost of living is extremely high, business was very slow and it seemed nothing actually was moving. I used to know Calabar as a bubbling although calm city but what i saw last time i was there was a city that was fast loosing it's beauty due to mismanagement. OR maybe since they have been stripped of their oil producing state status and the oil wells given back to Akwa Ibom now that may have severely affected their finances and made maintaining social infrastructures very hard. Cross river has always been known as a civil servant state with a bit of tourism which is seasonal and taking off oil the major source would definitely affect them.

Even the ever active CUDA seems asleep. Garbage piling up on roads and so on. Seriously, it's painful.

That's why governments need to look inward. Most states are not Self sufficient. Remove federal allowance and they got nothing else. Except maybe Lagos, Rivers and Maybe Kano others are just states by appendages. And still yet you wonder people are still calling for more states creation. Creating more problems, dividing the already scarce resources into "ministries and duplicating state apparatus" thereby taking money away from capital development.

1 Like

Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 1:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
appini:
See the clown that embezzled the whole money sleeping on duty.

NB; Amaechi always come to my mind whenever anything rivers is mentioned.

Judas Iscariot is one of the easily remembered apostles of Jesus Christ.
are u just dumb or wot..how come u don't know d diff btw c/river and rivers..
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by arewafederation: 4:38pm On Apr 24, 2015
appini:

Na evening I dey here oo.

idu1:
Na lie jor tongue
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by tpiadotcom: 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2015
appini:
. . . . . . .

Cross River governor is Liyel Imoke

Rivers governor is Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi

Cross River capital is Calabar

Rivers capital is Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by appini: 5:22pm On Apr 24, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Cross River governor is Liyel Imoke

Rivers governor is Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi

Cross River capital is Calabar

Rivers capital is Port Harcourt.

Thank you
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by tpiadotcom: 5:48pm On Apr 24, 2015
You're welcome.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 24, 2015
besttrader:
I got my admission at the University of Calabar just about when democracy was restarted i.e. when Donald Duke came into power and I saw first hand how Calabar was transformed pre-1999 into the post-1999 era. One of the legacies of the Donald Duke's administration was the Cross River State Water Board.

When I was in the University I stayed at Maine Avenue, getting water was tough through my period in the University, since I lived off campus. It wasn't easier either for folks who stayed on campus. However, when Duke initiated the CRS Water Board and made Gershom Bassey the point man there, things worked very well (the Head was focused and everybody was whipped into line).

After School I moved to Asari Isor, and I can say that the urban water supply was so good that you don't need any water storage facility at home. Water was constant, the only disruptions in supply was when they were washing tanks (so I heard) and this is somewhat once in 6-months kind of thing.

Gershom Bassey the point man for the State's water board became reckless during the Imoke's regime. He cornered diesel meant for running the water board to his private residence which was situated at Asari Isor (actually his residence is a stone throw away from mine). So you see, this impunity continued all through the Imoke's 8-years tenure and anybody living in Calabar would tell you that Calabar has retrogressed back into the era where its populace now carry water containers in their cars in a bid to get water (something I thought would never happen in Calabar again).

As a matter of fact, the Liyel Imoke's regime has no direction and is useless. After 8-years of Imoke, I can tell you that his $16 billion power sector co-scam with OBJ wasn't enough for him. He has looted the State even further via his actions and inaction. I know too well, I can tell you his leadership style is just like that of GEJ, where impunity is perpetrated by members of council and no one is there to caution them. It's sort of a free for all (the Head is without vision and everyone becomes reckless).

At the moment, the failed Gershom Bassey has won himself a seat to represent the people under the flagship of the PDP. I just wonder, how a man would run the State Water Board from inception and bring it to ruin. How did he get rewarded by the PDP? This is why the PDP remains one of the most hated party in the world. Failure is graciously rewarded at PDP.

I wish I can explain some more the dynamics and ruin of the PDP in Cross River State. It is simply appalling!!

Thank you my brother. You've said it all. Calabar has lost its glory. Life becomes so unbearable in town. This morning, i had to stylishly steal water from a neighbour who has borehole before he woke up. The painful fact is that the water board project had successfully put all the people that were selling water in the street off business cos no one was going out to buy water again. Cos of this, now you cant even find a place to buy water within the possible distance area. It's that bad. The refuse are dumped with reckless abandon. Offensive odours from refuse dumps spoiling the once most hygienic ambience of the country. Shame to all the Cross River state leaders. Imoke, wherever you are, dont forget we have your records in our pams. When it's time to make account of those who contributed in ruining the nation, your file shall be opened.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Kay17: 7:03pm On Apr 24, 2015
Most Nigerian states have a broken tax system. If an income is not made, you are unable to spend.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by grandstar(m): 12:27am On Apr 25, 2015
RedBenson:
Visiting the state now, someone who has visited it before would see an entire different picture of the once the most cleanest, hospitable, leisure and tourism inspired state which has been known over the years. From refuse dumps heeping uncared in every street of the city embarrassingly, to non-payment of salaries to civil servants since January till date, to total shut down of academic activities in the state owned univerisity (Cross River University of Science and Technology : CRUTECH) over four (4) months now, to worsening situation of water supply across the state by Water Board, a state established entity overseeing the supplication of water to the residents, then to the high cost of commodities in the market and excessive tasking of business owners for taxation. Seriously, life is just too unbearable in Cross River state (Calabar precisely) for an average Nigerian to live in. Are all these attributed to the broke status of the government pocket?

The crash in oil price has left states penniless that is why many cant pay workers. The monthly allocation have really dwindled.

Also, Cross River oil wells were ceded to Akwa Ibom since the state no longer has a seafront after the loss of Bakassi.

I also think the state is hugely in debt. For instance, AMCON took over that mighty free trade complex (I have forgotten the name )
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by ifyan(m): 3:12am On Apr 25, 2015
Kai! My people you see wetin. ....de.......

You know. ...
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 25, 2015
grandstar:

The crash in oil price has left states penniless that is why many cant pay workers. The monthly allocation have really dwindled.

Also, Cross River oil wells were ceded to Akwa Ibom since the state no longer has a seafront after the loss of Bakassi.

I also think the state is hugely in debt. For instance, AMCON took over that mighty free trade complex (I have forgotten the name )

The state has sold/leased out almost all its belongings and yet, the pocket gets broke day by day. For instance, major part of Cultural Centre complex has been leased out to Shoprite for 99yrs (so i heard) and heavy amount receive from the lessee. Calabar minicipality ground has also been leased out to Star (Premium Larger Beer Producers) for same number of yrs with huge amount received too. The problem is, the state lack good management practices. For instance, what is the point of embarking on constructing the so called "International Conference Centre" when Tinapa that they already spent billions building had not been productive due to poor management? To further show how the leaders lack focus, the said Tinapa has a conference centre of over 5000 capacity and yet they embarked on spending the little money they claim the state has in building another one. What for? Excessive tasking of business owners and individuals are what they do now. They dont even care if your business is doing well or not. All they do is trooping into your business premises with long files and policemen attached to them and then demand you pay tax. From one tax to the other and then to the other. Talking about losing oil well, the states that dont own oil wells, dont they survive and do well? How about other natural resources like granites in Akamkpa where they make huge amount from? Unicem nko? EPZ nko? NNPC depot where hundreds of trucks of petroleum products are being discharged daily nko? Other businesses nko? Mehn, i dont think they have any reason whatsoever to be as broke as they've made us to believe except for poor management and looting which is undoubted. I learnt Donald Duke left $87B dept while leaving office in 2007, but as at today where Imoke is about to vacate office, the dept is $364B with yet no tangible project erected in the state to show for such dept. Who is now deceiving who?
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by onegig(m): 8:20am On Apr 25, 2015
Yeah, building that international conference centre is wrong but i guess most Nigerian politicians always embark on white elephant projects so people can remember them for such even when such are irrelevant and needless.

As for unicem, guy forget it. That company has tried more than enough for cross river except you want them to go under would you tax them more. There's a glut of cement in the market, decreased construction for over six months now due to speculations on elections and above all an increased exchange rate which caused them to be running at a loss since last year. Go ask anyone in the know. Most of the raw materials except limestone and one or two others which is locally sourced are sourced overseas and this high dollar to naira rate is not helping them.

Epz is a free trade zone. You can't tax those companies there. And how many companies are even there? Except for Dangote with skeletal production going on or you mean Cheese BALLS? cheesy which other big company is there except for some small oil servicing firms that are facing a bleak future due to continued low price of oil.

And as for your NNPC depot? How much would you make taxing just 100 tankers/week? Lol. I guess that cannot even service a local government in Nigeria.

Most states apart from federal allowances are not self sufficient and viable. Cross River is a classic case of a civil servant state that should run an extremely lean government if it ever wants to achieve any meaningful project or sustain existing ones.

What the Governor should be fighting for is dredging of the port by the FG so that bigger ships can berth, divert maybe a section of cargo stopping at Lagos to calabar to free up Lagos.. Opening up cross river as a port destination. Guess they gave it to some private coys who are finding it hard to raise capital to complete such project.

You know why i am angry at Jonathan, he is from the Niger Delta and these are things he should have atleast done for his region not giving out money to few militants who have no real bearing on the economy of their localities. He just got there and went to sleep.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 26, 2015
RedBenson who's missing firstEVA in your ashawo thread?
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 6:57am On Apr 27, 2015
firstEVA:
RedBenson who's missing firstEVA in your ashawo thread?

You seriously care to know him?
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by AWONEYAN(m): 8:03am On Apr 27, 2015
appini:

NB; Amaechi always come to my mind whenever anything rivers is mentioned.

Judas Iscariot is one of the easily remembered apostles of Jesus Christ.

Why are you advertising your ignorance....cross river is not the same as river state. May be you need to go and peep in a nearby N/P school and listen when they read STATE n CAPITAL.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by appini: 9:14am On Apr 27, 2015
AWONEYAN:

Why are you advertising your ignorance....cross river is not the same as river state. May be you need to go and peep in a nearby N/P school and listen when they read STATE n CAPITAL.

I don hear prof, thank you!
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by WIZGUY69(m): 9:41am On Apr 27, 2015
appini:

I don hear prof, thank you!

grin grin

Lesson for the day.

Don't say what you are not sure of or you will end up disgracing yourself. -Robert Greene (2004)

cool
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 27, 2015
RedBenson:

You seriously care to know him?
No, i'll be glad if i'm not tagged in that particular thread again. Of all threads, imagine.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 27, 2015
firstEVA:
No, i'll be glad if i'm not tagged in that particular thread again. Of all threads, imagine.

Lol. Since when? Anyways, i grab ur code.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 27, 2015
RedBenson:

Lol. Since when? Anyways, i grab ur code.
there is no code, I used to frequent that thread because I enjoy some of your stories until I was called out and silly insinuations made, I no longer visit there, I have actually lost interest, that's why I will really appreciate it if i'm not called out there, tnx for your understanding. Hope you are good?
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 27, 2015
firstEVA:
there is no code, I used to frequent that thread because I enjoy some of your stories until I was called out and silly insinuations made, I no longer visit there, I have actually lost interest, that's why I will really appreciate it if i'm not called out there, tnx for your understanding. Hope you are good?

Lol. Dis na serious matter o. But as always seen, i expected you to know that once "f" is seen attached to a moniker in that thread, somebody somewhere somehow before you would call out the name. That has always happened in the thread...not once, not twice. You shouldnt have picked offence over that. You should've just kept mute without responding after your moniker had been called out. That alone would've buried the entire iish...whatever. And permit me to once again invite you back to the thread. Though some small small boys have been trying to ridicule the thread, trust me it hasnt been easy for them to succeed. I urge you to retake your step back to the thread and do enjoy yourself with the gist as always. Those stories might not really be true, but it's always fun reading some of them. Even myself laugh alot when i read them. Lastly, i'm good by His grace and hope you good too?

1 Like

Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by xwolverine: 12:37pm On Apr 27, 2015
appini:

Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
RedBenson:

Lol. Dis na serious matter o. But as always seen, i expected you to know that once "f" is seen attached to a moniker in that thread, somebody somewhere somehow before you would call out the name. That has always happened in the thread...not once, not twice. You shouldnt have picked offence over that. You should've just kept mute without responding after your moniker had been called out. That alone would've buried the entire iish...whatever. And permit me to once again invite you back to the thread. Though some small small boys have been trying to ridicule the thread, trust me it hasnt been easy for them to succeed. I urge you to retake your step back to the thread and do enjoy yourself with the gist as always. Those stories might not really be true, but it's always fun reading some of them. Even myself laugh alot when i read them. Lastly, i'm good by His grace and hope you good too?

Hope you saw the post?
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by bakila: 1:23pm On Apr 27, 2015
appini:

My brother pls take it easy... It's not my fault as I do dream of your Amaechi day and night.

Anyway, Amaechi can go and die!!
HEHEHEHEH, its Patience oh that is suffering and has left her matrimonial home because of Ameachi's Director-Generalship. Konji go kill her for Okrika. They want the Gbagbo option but Ameachi's leadership prevented them from doing so, while Jonathan remembered ICJ.
Re: How Broke Is Cross River State Government? (photo) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 27, 2015
RedBenson:

i'm fine, tnx.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Prediction: 2019 State By State Presidential Election Results / Fire Outbreak: Governor Yahaya Pledges Commitment To Safeguard Lives, Property / Again, Court Sacks Ebonyi Council Chairmen, 171 Councillors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.