Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State (69294 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / What Ethnicity Do Aniocha And Oshimili People Of Delta North Fall Into? / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Cubeet: 8:48pm On May 04, 2015
I so much Love my State,,Yoruba,Igbo, Urhobo, Ijaw all in one state My Girlfriend is from Oluku mi. Her Name is Abimbola Ochei

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by OneNaira6: 8:48pm On May 04, 2015
SmartChoices:

Truth is the Igbo is a derivative of Yoruba ....the igboland is part of the Oyo empire!

What did you smoke?

7 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by cutediva87(f): 8:48pm On May 04, 2015
proudly olukumi from ukwu nzu abosede

5 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by lyricalz: 8:54pm On May 04, 2015
ControlX:
Unique cultures like the Olukumis develop through a mixture of several similar cultures and show to us that we have the capacity to unite with each other and make progress with one another. But the Tribal bigots just wont get this. Igbo's, Edo's, Yoruba's and many southern tribes share a lot of similarities which indicate that we have been interacting with one another before the tragedy of colonialism. Take a look at these linguistic examples;
Bag: Igbo-Akpati, Yoruba-Apoti,
Mouth: Igbo-Onu, Yoruba-Enu,
Ear: Igbo-Nti, Yoruba-Eti.
These are just a few of our many similarities which no one can really explain how they came about. So why don't we forget our differences and celebrate our similarities. Zik once told Sarduana ; Let us forget our differences. "No!" Sarduana retorted, "Let us understand our differences". 55 years has passed on and we are yet to understand those differences of ours. Zik was right! Let us forget our differences and build on our similarities. That is the way forward for Nigeria!

Kick ball- (igbo) gba ball, (yoruba) gba ball. Lol, though am non of d above tribe.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Ilekeh(f): 8:55pm On May 04, 2015
UnknownT:
I still wonder how the Igbos do it, as in they come near you and you lose your original language and start speaking Igbo. Some may say the Olukun mi people were nearer to the Igbos that was why, but what of the Igbo that is being spoken in far away bonny/opobo and some of the people that always claim Benin origin but now use 99% Igbo names and language. And when they achieve this, we don't hear people saying that they were forced to speak/learn Igbo like they are colonial masters

How many Yorubas in the SW speak igbo? How many Northerners speak Igbo? lol

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

What did you smoke?
Its all Yoruba land!
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by ransomed: 9:00pm On May 04, 2015
phyllosilicate:

Bross have you read the origin of benin as told by the benins not the yorubas?
::-- I heard the oral history from notable chiefs that are part of the palace council and not the works of one man in Uniben who distorted the history and was given traditional bead that his wife later usurp. I listened and learnt from the source not your so called distorted write up. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by omokab: 9:06pm On May 04, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

One thing I know for sure is, as long as you are not Yoruba, you will struggle to rewrite the Yoruba history to fit it in to your monomaniac projections, pulling down Yoruba history to prove that you are something. Who are you?

If Yoruba grandstanding affects you, then you have found an everlasting sorrow, cause greatness will never depart from Yoruba, and day in day out you will keep hearing that name and get your reins sore with bad feelings.

I don't hate any tribe, so I can be happy at their success. Just keep looking for the ultimate vilification of the Yoruba race, when you finds it, the world will celebrate you and do away with the Yoruba.

You see, you have a calling.

sad

you have time to answer nigerman1 don't you see pain and hatred in all his respond to the topic.Somebody said they migrated from owo in ondo state he was still arguing blindly,changing what he red to his own interest.I can't blame him,his people can't trace their origin.How they are speaking ibo is not traceable.His interest is how yorubas migrated from Benin. But his hatred could not allow him to ask the total population of yorubas in Benin compared to the entire yoruba people in only in the south west not to talk of other extension.The only culture they have is how to make money from event like wedding. Also he should tell us how is tribe is from jews.

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by GodMode: 9:13pm On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

First of all, olukumi migrated to Aniochaland, not the other way around. Our people accepted nicely, even accommodated them nice enough by providing them their own place in which they can call a home...that's why I always laugh whenever Yoruba run their mouth on their so called accomodation of igbos in lagos , blah blah. The problem is SE Igbos refuse to learn about other igbo territory outside of their own. If they did, they would have known about this history and use it to shut up that unaccomodated tribe that keep shouting everywhere about their accommodation of others in lagos. Mtchewww. Anyway, the reason olukumi dropped their language and started speaking igbo is because as you said they were surrounded by Aniocha clans, igbo speaking, and in other to trade with the surrounding tribes they had to learn the language. They've equally mixed up with Aniocha hence today they don't bare anything yoruba related and sees themselves as Aniocha as well.

Before any SE igbo start attacking me, I'm Aniocha and I know Aniocha are Igbos, we barely have deniers within our people. Just cause I wrote Aniocha clans does not remove our tribal identity. Just want to make that disclaimer before I'm ganged up on.

gringringrin olukumi is yoruba word for "friend".. Its ancient yoruba..

When yoruba slaves were distributed. The yoruba used olukumi to recognise each other..

I know because in Brazil, Cuba and other places where yoruba slaves settled they call themselves "Lucumi"... You can google it...

Olukumi is 100% yoruba. gringringringringringringringringrin

6 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by absoluteSuccess: 9:14pm On May 04, 2015
shaboti:
I have nothing against what he is 'demanding'. Im merely reminding him of the correct spelling of his tribe.
I'm so sorry for the mix-up.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by ransomed: 9:14pm On May 04, 2015
cutediva87:
::--Oma yemi, e bo. Ke si ri?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by absoluteSuccess: 9:17pm On May 04, 2015
Olukunmi one that is on my side, my companion.

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by squaddy(m): 9:19pm On May 04, 2015
"The illiterate of the 21st century is not he who cannot read nor write but he who cannot learn,unlearn and relearn" Alvin Toffler.

This describes the average Yoruba youth who has been brainwashed into believing fallacies and only result to vituperations when faced with facts.

Nigerman1 do not bother educating these philistines.

5 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by OneNaira6: 9:21pm On May 04, 2015
GodMode:

gringringrin olukumi is yoruba word for "friend".. Its ancient yoruba..

When yoruba slaves were distributed. The yoruba used olukumi to recognise each other..

I know because in Brazil, Cuba and other places were yoruba slaves settled they call themselves "Lukumi"... You can google it...

Olukumi is 100% yoruba. gringringringringringringringringrin

Did you even read my post. Their ancestry is Yoruba, noone denied that including MY own post in which you replied. The common day Olukumi on the other hand DOES NOT see themselves as yoruba. I'm from aniochland. I've grew up around Olukumis and I've seen more than enough of their ppl in my own ppl terrority. They neither deny their origin but they neither see themselves as yoruba. A perfect example of an olukumi is Zeal from style plus. He's from there and throughput the time he was famous, how many times did he call himself yoruba? Did he or did he not maintain he was delta igbo. Please don't waste my time about the territory I come from.

Oh btw: another famous olukumi is Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu...again, how many times was he ever recorded or seen himself as yoruba.

Let make this as simple as u can. There is no part in Aniocha land Yoruba can claim.

6 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Hmm. I see. I recall reading somewhere that he is from the olukunmi area.

Could you please give a little bit more description of the Olukunmi people you've met - in terms of name, spoken language etc and how they closely resemble Igbo?

I'm interested in knowing this.
They speak Igbo and bear IBO names. Unless u are told that a person is olukumi ,u will pass him up as aniocha person

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by kalakuta100: 9:25pm On May 04, 2015
Before we argue any further abeg make una read this thing wey i jamb for wiki http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 04, 2015
cutediva87:
Can u tell me the meaning of Akpe in Ur place
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by GodMode: 9:28pm On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

Did you even read my post. Their ancestry is Yoruba, noone denied that including MY own post in which you replied. The common day Olukumi on the other hand DOES NOT see themselves as yoruba. I'm from aniochland. I've grew up around Olukumis and I've seen more than enough of their ppl in my own ppl terrority. They neither deny their origin but they neither see themselves as yoruba. A perfect example of an olukumi is Zeal from style plus. He's from there and throughput the time he was famous, how many times did he call himself yoruba? Did he or did he not maintain he was delta igbo. Please don't waste my time and about the territory I come from.

Let make this as simple as u can. There is no part in Aniocha land Yoruba can claim.

gringringringringringrin There is no part in Yoruba land igbo can claim gringringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by oneeaast: 9:30pm On May 04, 2015
OROSUNBOLB:

You shouldn't have dignified that f.ool with a response. You should have known that what majority of them lack is education but ironically,they are the ones trying to sell what they do not have. I truly appreciate your contribution. Let's continue to educate them as our fore fathers did. Do have a pleasant day at work.
yu said majority of thEm lack education.how does this statement sound to yu?

so it s now majority of we lack education cos we countered your point?
bros i would have call u a big fool but no need of such name calling but mind what yu say atimes.

thank q

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Pureheart91(m): 9:31pm On May 04, 2015
What is this thread turning into; my observations are as follows in dis thread-

Yorubas -on dy defensive turned ABUSIVE
Binins' -not wantn ancestral link wid odas
Ibos- on dy repulsive turned HARD..

Guys we re all One 9ja blessed wid our various unique tribal identities,dahs y we hve survived dis long not mindn cultural Rifts amongst Us. One love
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by GodMode: 9:33pm On May 04, 2015
Pureheart91:
What is this thread turning into; my observations are as follows in dis thread-

Yorubas -on dy defensive turned ABUSIVE
Binins' -not wantn ancestral link wid odas
Ibos- on dy repulsive turned HARD..

Guys we re all One 9ja blessed wid our various unique tribal identities,dahs y we hve survived dis long not mindn cultural Rifts amongst Us. One love

We can never be one 9ja...

The colonial guys messed up our history...

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

Did you even read my post. Their ancestry is Yoruba, noone denied that including MY own post in which you replied. The common day Olukumi on the other hand DOES NOT see themselves as yoruba. I'm from aniochland. I've grew up around Olukumis and I've seen more than enough of their ppl in my own ppl terrority. They neither deny their origin but they neither see themselves as yoruba. A perfect example of an olukumi is Zeal from style plus. He's from there and throughput the time he was famous, how many times did he call himself yoruba? Did he or did he not maintain he was delta igbo. Please don't waste my time about the territory I come from.

Oh btw: another famous olukumi is Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu...again, how many times was he ever recorded or seen himself as yoruba.

Er...Bro. Check your sources again. Nzeogwu was Oshimili...from Okpanam.

6 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by ransomed: 9:42pm On May 04, 2015
Mee234:

Can u tell me the meaning of Akpe in Ur place
::-- Are you asking about "the mark or sign of identification" sir?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by OneNaira6: 9:45pm On May 04, 2015
Radoillo:

Er...Bro. Check your sources again. Nzeogwu was Oshimili...from Okpanam.

No he wasn't Okpanam was just part of his mixture. he's biological mother was from there but his father was from Ugbodu.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

No he wasn't Okpanam was just part of his mixture. he's biological mother was from there but his father was from Ugbodu

The Nzeogwu family house is in Okpanam.

Unless it is normal practice in Aniocha/Oshimili for the family compound to be located in the maternal hometown....
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 04, 2015
ransomed:
::-- Are you asking about "the mark or sign of identification" sir?
I am asking about the name "Akpe". That is suppose to be the name of the chief priest of onichakoodi. in iko onicha
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Heymus(m): 9:50pm On May 04, 2015
[quote author=ControlX post=33132809]Unique cultures like the Olukumis develop through a mixture of several similar cultures and show to us that we have the capacity to unite with each other and make progress with one another. But the Tribal bigots just wont get this. Igbo's, Edo's, Yoruba's and many southern tribes share a lot of similarities which indicate that we have been interacting with one another before the tragedy of colonialism. Take a look at these linguistic examples;
Bag: Igbo-Akpati, Yoruba-Apoti,
Mouth: Igbo-Onu, Yoruba-Enu,
Ear: Igbo-Nti, Yoruba-Eti.
These are just a few of our many similarities which no one can really explain how they came about. So why don't we forget our differences and celebrate our similarities. Zik once told Sarduana ; Let us forget our differences. "No!" Sarduana retorted, "Let us understand our differences". 55 years has passed on and we are yet to understand those differences of ours. Zik was right! Let us forget our differences and build on our similarities. That is the way forward for Nigeria![/quote okuko(fowl) in igbo, akuko(fowl) in yoruba. Gini(what in igbo) kini (what in yoruba) i believe we are one.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Mortiple(m): 9:50pm On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Stephen Ikechukwu Keshi too is from there.

You are right, it is mostly the elderly ones who speak a smattering of the language.
No sir, Stephen Keshi is from Illah.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by emmatok(m): 9:52pm On May 04, 2015
squaddy:
"The illiterate of the 21st century is not he who cannot read nor write but he who cannot learn,unlearn and relearn" Alvin Toffler.

This describes the average Yoruba youth who has been brainwashed into believing fallacies and only result to vituperations when faced with facts.

Nigerman1 do not bother educating these philistines.

Its surprising how IGBOS are trying to lecture Yorubas on their history.

Some even said that OYOs are the only real Yorubas. grin

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by GodMode: 9:56pm On May 04, 2015
emmatok:

Its surprising how IGBOS are trying to lecture Yorubas on their history.
Some even that OYO are the only real Yorubas. grin

Yoruba has been around for agesgringringringrin
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by ransomed: 9:57pm On May 04, 2015
Mee234:

I am asking about the name "Akpe". That is suppose to be the name of the chief priest of onichakoodi. in iko onicha
::- Igbo has truely influence the intonation of the people we are discussing. What you wrote as "Akpe" is known as "Ape" by my own understanding. Thanks a lot.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by OneNaira6: 9:59pm On May 04, 2015
Radoillo:

The Nzeogwu family house is in Okpanam.

Unless it is normal practice in Aniocha/Oshimili for the family compound to be located in the maternal hometown....

Some delta ppl, not all, sometimes associate themselves with their maternal side as oppose to paternal especially if they feel more connected to their maternal side. Example would be be my greatgrand ma whose tehnically urhobo but grew up associating her self as an igbo due to her mother was from Asaba. The same situation with Don jazzy whose also technically urhobo due to his father being from warri at least according to him and his mom is igbo from imo but he deem himself as igbo rather than his biological father's origin. Some are like that. I can't speak for Nzeogwu. Maybe his family was the same way, idk, all I know is I grew up knowing his father was Ugbodu and mom Okpanam

1 Like 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding / Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.