Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,809 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians - Webmasters (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians (20948 Views)

5 Reasons Why Blogging Is Better Than Other Professions / Nairaland Most Visited Site In Nigeria Than Facebook.com - Alexa Ranking / This Is Why Twitter Is Better Than Facebook. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by permanentgrace(m): 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
omishooo:
We need chat room or group chat to mak nairaland more better dan FB

Maybe you should be thinking of opening that one by yourself. Seun cant do all things himself alone.
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2015
Nicklaus:
you are right only with no 2. In case you are still watching the wrong side of your TV PDP won in Edo-state, my best assurance Barcanista rightfully predicted ok. I like nairaland but no other beats facebook.
no mind am
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by JoeCutie(m): 4:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
Facebook = My side chic.
Nairaland = My main chic

Oya popori! grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Superstar007(m): 5:38pm On Apr 27, 2015
Even Mr. Seun knows that fb trumps Nairaland. They don't really serve the same purpose so there is no basis for comparison between them in the first place. You should compare it with Reddit rather.

Mentioning the privacy thingy is very laughable, Nairaland doesn't even have a privacy policy, and what makes you think that pictures uploaded on NL ain't archived? It's only that you get to see one profile picture at a time. Every other thing you listed there can also be done on fb. Nl is too limited, the owner can do anything he wants to do with it. Can locked up any thread that doesn't appeal well to him. The setup of the site is just archaic. Super moderators put topics that appeal to them on the fp which is most times those that have no benefit to the users at large with most of the sections being relegated to the background as most of the topics come from Romance, politics, and Celebrity sections.

Anyway, enough of my rants. Nl is good but it can be better and it doesn't in anyway match fb.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by abiolaoladipupo(m): 5:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
female no to dey for naira land jooh.. and i no be gay..

but its all cool cus im proud of naija site... Op we need change not transformation.. pack all those ladies wey dey facebook come nairaland make we dey yarn with them... we no fit dey here 24hrs without.refreshing out mind with fine ladies chat... its important
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Nobody: 6:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
An2elect2:

a book with a face on it tongue
You look beautiful
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Vick4rill(m): 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2015
dickrider:
[size=18pt]I HATE NL BECOS TOO MANY SEX STARVED IDDIOTS ARE HERE TO FRUSTRATE LADIES undecided[/size]
jst look at a pot calling the kettle black. What do you expect from guys when you shamelessly nickname your self dickrider,? You are ranting everywere because you think you are sexy thats why the guys are sending u pm's ... The only thing that is drawing them to you is your name. The name told them that the owner is a public satisfier who can be easily lured for a one night stands. Do you think those guys sending you pm's does'nt have girlfriends or are incapable of getting a girl for sex.? No my dear is just that guys love cheap things..

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by pmann2(m): 6:22pm On Apr 27, 2015
How come facebook doesn't have a nairaland account but nairaland have a facebook account?... If nairaland is better, then they don't need a FB PAGE... NL is nice but it's insane to compare it with FB...FB has load of functions, most of you don't even know how to use FB... FB is more than just posts, likes and tags... When you know how to use FB, you will never compare FB with NL... The poster knows little or nothing about FB.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by nairabetguru(m): 7:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
dickrider:
[size=18pt]I HATE NL BECOS TOO MANY SEX STARVED IDDIOTS ARE HERE TO FRUSTRATE LADIES undecided[/size]

When a whole "dickrider" cumz complaining about sex starved men on nairaland...... Then u know that this mata don enter another dimension

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by darejem4real: 7:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
Fb better
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by DjQris(m): 7:52pm On Apr 27, 2015
Nice one, all true!!!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by mayoweez: 8:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
IamDejman:
So true.

Facebook is overrated though. But it's still better than Nairaland

But overall, I'm proud Nairaland is from Nigeria. Thumbs up Seun Osewa

facebook is 1000 times better than NL. Is it graph search, app store, connecting, design, optimisation, privacy levels....even Facebook Groups alone beats NL.
NL 1.3m users can't be more than 500k cos I alone have over 10 accounts. Facebook Groups have over 600m REAL USERS. Yes NL is a proud African thing but the over $200bn Facebook is KING anytime, anyday.
Anyways, NL is still Nigerian even though MANY Nigerians don't know the difference between Facebook and the internet cos they IN FACT see facebook as the internet. #Naija

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by blackiridis(m): 8:52pm On Apr 27, 2015
we need dislike button
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by IamDejman(m): 8:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
mayoweez:

facebook is 1000 times better than NL. Is it graph search, app store, connecting, design, optimisation, privacy levels....even Facebook Groups alone beats NL.
NL 1.3m users can't be more than 500k cos I alone have over 10 accounts. Facebook Groups have over 600m REAL USERS. Yes, NL is a proud African thing but the over $200bn Facebook is KING anytime, any day.
Anyways, NL is still Nigerian even though MANY Nigerians don't know the difference between Facebook and the internet cos they, IN FACT, see facebook as the internet. #Naija
Lol, we are on the same page.

Meanwhile, is this the Mayowa I know? I hope so
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Bowaley17(m): 9:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
Ok... Next?
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by mayoweez: 9:16pm On Apr 27, 2015
IamDejman:
Lol, we are on the same page.

Meanwhile, is this the Mayowa I know? I hope so
yeah, it's Mayowa, Lasu Laws! Long time no see man.
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Nicklaus(m): 9:42pm On Apr 27, 2015
Martins301:

What are you saying? Did you borrow somebody else your brain before writing the above or do you have acute APHASIA? FYI governorship election has not been held in Edo state, and it will hold in 2016. The current governor is Adams Oshiomole of APC so which governorship election did PDP win in Edo? APC won 21 out of 24 seats in the House of Assembly election and also retained a senatorial seat [Edo North] so what are you saying?
And m guessing u are the extraneous OP misguided by sentiment. Didn't bother to look twice at the shitty post. Your write-up lacked specification until you got a bounce quote so anyone could assume u were referring to the presidential election.
"Did you borrow somebody your brain before writing the above" sounds like you borrowed that line from a jss 3 girl. VERY TYPICAL! Or
"Do you have acute APHASIA" sounds like what my lil cousin would say while holding her waist. VERY PECULIAR.
And yet you look old enough to be their grandfather. I won't be surprise that those are the kind of girls you run after with this puerile vilification of yours. Grow up! Until then.......

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by thegideon(m): 9:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
slimmy05:
Also acommodating for frustrated, unhappily married, single and searching, attention seeking low lifers
Chai. What an wholelistic summary.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Nicklaus(m): 9:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
pmann2:
How come facebook doesn't have a nairaland account but nairaland have a facebook account?... If nairaland is better, then they don't need a FB PAGE... NL is nice but it's insane to compare it with FB...FB has load of functions, most of you don't even know how to use FB... FB is more than just posts, likes and tags... When you know how to use FB, you will never compare FB with NL... The poster knows little or nothing about FB.
how ll they know when their 'brain î§ washed' by NL.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by IamDejman(m): 10:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
mayoweez:

yeah, it's Mayowa, Lasu Laws! Long time no see man.
. I knew. So typical of you. I meant ur argument.U just dey enjoy na...
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by An2elect2(f): 11:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
You look beautiful

awwww thnx smiley
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 28, 2015
omishooo:
We need chat room or group chat to mak nairaland more better dan FB
We I and u can chat most betterly too...
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 28, 2015
Nicklaus:
And m guessing u are the extraneous OP misguided by sentiment. Didn't bother to look twice at the shitty post. Your write-up lacked specification until you got a bounce quote so anyone could assume u were referring to the presidential election.
"Did you borrow somebody your brain before writing the above" sounds like you borrowed that line from a jss 3 girl. VERY TYPICAL! Or
"Do you have acute APHASIA" sounds like what my lil cousin would say while holding her waist. VERY PECULIAR.
And yet you look old enough to be their grandfather. I won't be surprise that those are the kind of girls you run after with this puerile vilification of yours. Grow up! Until then.......

This is the original post, with the parts that make it unequivocally clear about governorship election and not presidential election in bold

Am patiently waiting for October 2016 so I can
remind barcanista of how he wrongly predicted or forecasted in March 2015 that PDP would win Edo state.

Am sure the person I referred to in my post understood what I was talking about. But you, in a hurry to look relevant, missed my point. Just look at your life. Your lil sister would be ashamed. Please stay off my posts and mentions.
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by unamama(m): 6:54am On Apr 28, 2015
with your points, without someone interpreting to you, u should know NL supports fake and fraudulent lifestyle. when u open an account with false name, picture, identity, no trace of previous pix, etc. u make useless comments because, u feel no one can trace u.
although, I still enjoy coming here because of the news updates. with NL, u wouldn't need to buy newspapers.
I enjoy the IM on FB couple with d fact that u wouldn't want to misyarn there, since ur identity is real
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Nicklaus(m): 7:11am On Apr 28, 2015
Martins301:

This is the original post, with the parts that make it unequivocally clear about governorship election and not presidential election in bold

Am sure the person I referred to in my post understood what I was talking about. But you, in a hurry to look relevant, missed my point. Just look at your life. Your lil sister would be ashamed. Please stay off my posts and mentions.
Not good enough especially when march 2015 was mentioned. After-all not everyone knows about Edo state GUB election. + my lil sis was actually the one who brought my attention to this $hit and was like "who's this OLD TWIT" ? So no-one really cares if the OP had a name.
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by scarr: 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2015
Martins301:
1. Privacy

Unlike facebook where you have to use your name, upload your pics (which is archived) and post really interesting stuffs to attract likes, comments and friends, Nairaland isn't like that. Only your username (which can be as fake as the smile of a policeman demanding for bribe) is displayed, plus you get to change your profile pic (which can be fake as well) without the previous ones being archived for public consumption. This sort of privacy has given lots of people the courage to freely express themselves and exhibit behaviours they would never dare to exhibit in real life. Take for instance the case of beryl04 supporting gay rights and Depressedguy confessing that he is gay. Am 100% sure they would never do such in real life. Such privacy has also led some people to exhibit clownish behaviours capable of making people laugh e.g PhockPhockMan tit temitemi1 orijin101 and Airforce1

2. Learning & Information

In terms of learning and getting information on different issues, Nairaland beats facebook hands down. Nairaland has different sections and subsections such as politics, religion, romance, family, jobs, education, business, etc that you can learn and get information from. In fact, it has been statistically and scientifically proven by me that the less time you spend on facebook and the more time you spend on Nairaland, the high the level of your awareness and social intelligience.

3. Features

There are specific features that makes NL also better than FB. Some include absence of delete button and ability to quote the comments of other users. On the absence of delete button, I think its good cos it makes people concious of what they say, knowing fully well they cannot take it back, especially once it has been quoted by someone else. Although there is room to modify your writeup, it is still a good thing that ordinary users do not have the ability to delete posts so as to provide evidence and punish frequent rule breakers babyosisi barcanista and emmyw and temitemi1, and thus maintain decorum in the forum.

4. Historical Records

If not for the issue of hackers and data loss that hit the site, Nairaland would still have had the records of 'every and all' posts dating 5, 6, 7 years back. Facebook on the other hand appears to permanently delete your posts that are 6 to 12 months old. Am patiently waiting for October 2016 so I can remind barcanista of how he wrongly predicted or forecasted in March 2015 that PDP would win Edo state grin

5. Helping Nigerians

I don't know how many people in Nigeria have gotten jobs through facebook but I do know of many that have gotten employment through Nairaland. I also know of one or two persons who got helped with paying hospital bills through Nairaland.

Having used Facebook and Nairaland, I think Nairaland is the place to be for Nigerians. Feel free to add to the list. Like this post if you agree with it and Share if you disagree.

Source: Martins301
To use one's common sense if free of charge o,
Who in his right senses would compare a FORUM with a SOCIAL NETWORK...what next? Compare 2go to yahoo?
Deranged people everywhereangry
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by soonest(f): 9:46am On Apr 29, 2015
larryozomah:

Its Profile NOT page
Thanks for the correction
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Magicdon(m): 12:22pm On Apr 29, 2015
we need private one on one chat(inbox) on nairaland just like we have on facebook. Private chat is not available on nairaland, someone might wanna communicate wit a contact here but he or she cant, i find it very puzzling, perhaps the creators of nairaland need to do somethin about dat
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by BuhBye: 2:05pm On Apr 30, 2015
Point No 1 contradicts No 4. How can you be held accountable for a post that was made under a fake name?
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by iykepromotions: 2:42pm On Apr 30, 2015
the rate facebook is improving is amazing. seun need to do more
Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by Emyogalanya: 8:33am On May 01, 2015
TheSureBabe:
THAT IS A LIE _ NAIRALAND THAT WOULD BE BANNING USERS UP AND DOWN IF THEY DARE INSULT SEUN .. WOULD MARK ZUCKERBERG DO THAT .. abeg Nairaland still has a long way to go
and do ppl dare insult ur face book mark

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians by beryl04(m): 8:15pm On May 02, 2015
nairaland via ishilove had banned my moniker severally, purportedly for supporting gay rights, sighting rule no 9!fb can never do that ,so what exactly are u on about?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Blogger, Jide Ogunsanya Weds (photos) / The Traffic Rank Of The Most Popular Nigerian Websites / 13-yr-old Nigerian Emerges Youngest AWS Developer Associate In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.