Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,008 members, 7,838,527 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT (57083 Views)

Emeka Ephraim Ugwuonye Barred From Legal Practice In Nigeria / Revealed: Reason Buhari Is Yet To Move Into Aso Rock - Breaking Times / Buhari Barred Osinbajo From Security Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 7:56am On Apr 28, 2015
not4sure:
Security officials attached to Muhammadu Buhari have barred African Independent Television (AIT) from covering the functions of the president-elect till further notice.

Buhari Clamps Down On AIT

The security team according to Punch cited security reports and ethical issues as reasons for their action.

READ ALSO: Buhari Says Boko Haram Has Nothing To Do With Religion

The directive which took effect on Monday, April 27, was enforced when members of AIT crew, who were at the Defence House to cover of a meeting between Buhari and a visiting Cuban delegation, were asked to leave.

Confirming this to Punch, the crew said: Yes, we were told but we cannot just leave; we have a job to do. In any case, we have not been officially informed about what we have done wrong.

On why AIT was restricted from covering functions of the president-elect, Mallam Garba Sheh, the director of press of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organisation, noted that security concerns informed the decision.

He said: “AIT has been asked to stay aside based on security and family concerns. In addition, General Buhari has decided that they will have to resolve some issues relating to issues of standard and ethics.

“We will be talking with them to try and resolve the matter but for now, the station has been asked to stay aside because, like I said, there are some family and security concerns.

“They have been asked to step down their coverage until we resolve the matter with them on ethics and standards.”

In weeks building up the presidential election, AIT was criticized for airing a documentary, “The Real Buhari” which x-rayed the retired general’s past military regime as one that become the first to sentence a woman to death by firing squad.

The documentary was described by the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a“fabricated and hate broadcast” against its presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari.

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) also indicted the African Independent Television (AIT) and the National Television Authority (NTA) for the airing several documentaries which maligned the image of Muhammadu Buhari.

http://www.naij.com/428854-buhari-bars-ait-till-further-notice.html

Cc lalasticlala
FAMILY AND SECURITY CONCERN
CHAI DIS IS GOD
WHEN AIT TURN ASSASSIN NOW
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by misterh(m): 7:56am On Apr 28, 2015
mbulela:
I no support this one o.
There are solid legal ways of making ait completely useless for the next four years not sniffling them not via illegal and tacky channels like this.
Organizations like ait need to be made useless to serve as a lesson to others in future.
How is it illegal please? How did 'don't-come-to-my-house-please-because-you-abused-me' become illegal?

3 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by billyG(m): 7:57am On Apr 28, 2015
I see AIT closing shop in 2yrs time,i advice them 2 send a delegation comprising of GEJ,Abdulsalami,ibb,sanusi 2 beg BAT,Gmb b/c d volume of litigation dey will unlease on AIT 7billn largasse will not settle it.Dokpesi u see yur life now!
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by Gr8amechi: 7:58am On Apr 28, 2015
Dominiquez:
I pity anyone that supports this ban, cos Buhari is now fighting FOI law that allowed APC to excel . Banning of APC will be the beginning of the dark days for the media under Buhari's govt.

TVC and Sahara reporters were never banned even when they were broadcasting lies against Jonathan govt.
read your lines, he didn't ban them,he bar them from covering his activities, try and check the difference between bar and ban

3 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 28, 2015
debo07:
Dokpesi used to earn my respect years back.But now he doesn't have even the smallest of respects from me again.He really took the campaign personal.he went just too far with it.People shouldn't see Buhari's action against AIT as an attack on media sector cos I'm sure Buhari won't do that to other stations.Dokpesi just need to be dealt with to regain his sences.This will teach him never to air hate campaign against anybody again in future.
i could even remember during campaign when diz AIT try to slander gmb\pyo in order that people may not vote him. I think NTA management should be taught a lesson
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by ossy4rill: 7:58am On Apr 28, 2015
Hardetayour:
Firstly they say APC supporters can't do without abusing, well this has been proven wrong my this old boy here.

Secondly, when AIT was airing negative things about the man, u were all praising them to high heavens. Now the man said he bars them from his activities, u're all crying fowl. Tell me he has no good reason for what he did. Its just like embracing someone that obviously wanted to kill you. AIT should borrow sense from Tony Momoh

I agree with you but channels still showed for the APC even if they did it in a subtle way. Almost all their TV presenters are advocates of change and some will nearly get mad if you keep praising Jonathan and goin on and on. Their questions begin to get harder and harder.

In the case of APC they just flow with you
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by vanunu: 7:58am On Apr 28, 2015
All these eddioots that are supporting this despotic act will soon live to regret it.

2 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by cashkid: 7:59am On Apr 28, 2015
Igwe9:
Wrong move in MHO, not allowing them to cover the news is already a bad news. Is he the head of the commission that is in charge of the broadcasting ethics and standards?
He better let the sleeping dogs be!
E no go better for the useless sleeping dogs........schewwwwwwww

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by hamilton62(m): 7:59am On Apr 28, 2015
debo07:
Dokpesi used to earn my respect years back.But now he doesn't have even the smallest of respects from me again.He really took the campaign personal.he went just too far with it.People shouldn't see Buhari's action against AIT as an attack on media sector cos I'm sure Buhari won't do that to other stations.Dokpesi just need to be dealt with to regain his sences.This will teach him never to air hate campaign against anybody again in future.
Who didn't go too far in the campaign, is it APC or PDP?
Look! I can only fault AIT if the fabricated it but if the documents are true, they have the right to air it and Nigerians are glad to know about it... Let's just stop this partizanship, wake up and smell the coffee...
Be it any reason, the General should be careful the way he handles things now because this isn't 19th century... Fighting against AIT will be disastrous to his present mantle as Nigerians have decided to let the past and sleeping dog about him lie...
I learnt something about a lot of things in this election and we should watch our present action because it will affect our future, this generation isn't forgiven like the previous...
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by forget101O(m): 8:00am On Apr 28, 2015
Excellentmind:

You are such a great fool for not seeing punch as a bias media house other than AIT.

Must you insult somebody to express your opinion? You shouldn't expect somebody to see things the way you see them. You shouldn't expect him to see punch as bias because you felt they are. Therefore, for GMB to have seen AIT as bias is his personal observations. So, respect his expressions and observations.

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by ajepako(f): 8:01am On Apr 28, 2015
It has already started..
The old dude has not assumed mantle of leadership and he is already gagging the press..
Repetition of decree 4 of 1984 is already here..
But when APC was bashing and smearing the person of GEJ and PDP through Sahara Reporter, Premium Times, The Nation, Leadership Newpaper, GEJ didnt kick them out or theaten hell and brimstone.

It is apparent the old Baba will not stand for criticism and his intolerance for opposition and criticism is just gona be too obvious

Kudos to GEJ for his tolerance for criticism, insults and barbs especially on Nairaland

Ok oh, we dey watch

2 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by aottravels(m): 8:01am On Apr 28, 2015
Sentiments apart i would have done same if i were him....

2 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by mazeltov(m): 8:01am On Apr 28, 2015
azzutee:
I stopped watching AIT during electioneering campaign immediately they abandoned the ethics of journalism. Freedom of information doesn't not allow anybody or media houses to malign the image of anybody either influential or not. There is always a limitation to every laws.
you are 200% correct in fact this is the best post ever
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by otigbagba: 8:01am On Apr 28, 2015
Ezemust:
dats y i said dat Nigeria is doomed.u guys only understand the language of force.
..force is necessary for any society to behave well. ..more force pls..

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by Chigold101(m): 8:02am On Apr 28, 2015
Igwe9:
Wrong move in MHO, not allowing them to cover the news is already a bad news. Is he the head of the commission that is in charge of the broadcasting ethics and standards?
He better let the sleeping dogs be!
am laughing in igbo language: onwebeghi ife unu furu.

Imagine GEJ barring pressmen during his time.

This is step one to losing press freedom in NIGERIA.

It is becoming obvious that forums like Nairaland will soon be closed down if GMB is spoken against or critisizd in it.

All the press freedom we enjoyed during GEJ‘s tenure was all voted out on 28th march. What a pity?

Which Nigerian living or dead was criticsid the way GEJ was & is being criticisized but he never barred or banned any media house.

I said it that voting in GMB is taken Nigeria 50years behind. This is just the beginning.

Seun get ready to restructure NL or lose your brain child.

We are going back to 1984 Buhari/Idiagbo military regime.

Oh GOD HELP US!!!

This is the CHANGE you people longed for... Change is here
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by ayindejimmy(m): 8:02am On Apr 28, 2015
fr3do:

AIT should be our last concern, it is not them that are to run the affairs of this country.
It is Buhari's seemingly unchanged hate for free press that is worrying.
GEJ never barred Sahara, by Buhari taking this move he is already taking things for granted and the people should show their displeasure.
Are you for real!? Do you know how many time the editor of Sahara had to sneak in and out of Nigeria because the Military and SSS are on his trail?
So you were not in Nigeria when the military was clamping down on most media houses last year and destroying their Newspapers?
http://saharareporters.com/2009/10/08/sss-storms-desert-herald-newspaper-arrests-publisher

3 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by 9ousky: 8:03am On Apr 28, 2015
[quote author=Nkemtreasure post=33185699]Habaaaaa. Premium times, Leadership, Sahara reporters were not banned o. We should also learn how to accommodate opposition even in from the press. Even if we have lost confidence in them, I think this is a very wrong move.[/quote

I don't think its a bad move because all dis while after election they av been covering him so if there is a reason they ask dem to step aside den we should respect d man decision and most importantly his privacy and security concern too. They Ar not d only TV station in d whole country now.

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by ossy4rill: 8:03am On Apr 28, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
I support for AIT to step aside. Their standards and ethics must be looked into.

AIT is a disgrace and embarrassment to media broadcasting.

Imagine Jonathan doing same to Premium times, Leadership, Sahara reporters.

Nigerians , APC don dupe una, open up the box its fake CHANGE inside

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by minwafor: 8:04am On Apr 28, 2015
This is how media censorship starts, first they ban AIT for airing a true but biased documentary. Secondly, they may also shut down a newspaper if they allege that Buhari's wife is crisscrossing the globe in a private jet, thirdly they may also close down a television station for criticising the way the military is fighting Boko Haram citing national security issue.

The Nations newspaper should have been banned since they never see or write anything good about GEJ and his govt.

We say NO to any kind of media censorship. If you dont like their report, please sue them for slander or libel. QED

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by adconline(m): 8:04am On Apr 28, 2015
otigbagba:
..force is necessary for any society to behave well. ..more force pls..
Idiocy on full HD. We have NBC and law courts to take care of that!
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by emmanok24(m): 8:04am On Apr 28, 2015
fr3do:

AIT should be our last concern, it is not them that are to run the affairs of this country.
GEJ never barred Sahara, by Buhari taking this move he is already taking things for granted and the people should show their displeasure.

Isn't Sahara a "whistle-blowing" media outfit and not a hate propagating news agency?
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by stephan001: 8:04am On Apr 28, 2015
lordkrato:

Hmm.. Thought you where silly but this takes the cake..
Kindly tell us, you dumb sucker who is the shining light of our media and broadcasting?
Which means they can get away with anything? Does that place them above the law?
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by alobam1: 8:04am On Apr 28, 2015
7lives:
Dopesi is a fool for thinking he can eat his cake and have it, ait is going down, 7 billions of shekels that he collected to sell hate to Nigerians will not be enough to save his sorry ass.
For sure I'm expecting BAT to slap ait with libel running into billions of naira, I dey laugh o.

Shekels?Do we use shekels in Nigeria?Dammm
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by vanunu: 8:04am On Apr 28, 2015
Nigeria is indeed a big zoo, with so many tribal fools , it seems quite clear that this man is very very vindictive, he is not a democrat at all. He is going to set this country ablaze.
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:05am On Apr 28, 2015
fr3do:

. Flashback: GEJ clamps down on the press, seize newspapers and arrests journalists

https://www.nairaland.com/2123824/revealed-gej-clamps-down-press

Now tell me..... Didn't GEJ do worse?

2 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by ayindejimmy(m): 8:05am On Apr 28, 2015
hardbody:

Sounds interesting but does not concern me. When sahara reporter was writing all manner of lies and insults on a sitting president they were not barred. Lets keep waiting for the imposition of Decree 4 in a military democracy.

PDP led government has gone worst. Let's not pretend we are not in Nigeria again just cos the last eelection didn't favour our candidate
http://saharareporters.com/2009/10/08/sss-storms-desert-herald-newspaper-arrests-publisher

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by payan(m): 8:05am On Apr 28, 2015
UniqueHomes:
I don't support this move one bit. No Matter what they have done during the presidential campaign. They were under instructions from the president. Just because they didn't side with you doesn't make them an enemy. The first thing a good president should do OS to bring everyone together. Now I must watch what I say here before they 'Bar' me from everything.
This regime is going yo be a regime of no Freedom of speech. May God help us.

You might be right. Are you telling me that they are not independent again? Did the president not approach media house like channels? How did other people handle it that AIT lack capacity to do?

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by espn(m): 8:06am On Apr 28, 2015
lordkrato:

Hmm.. Thought you where silly but this takes the cake.. And who are the idiots liking this bland comment?? !!

Kindly tell us, you dumb sucker who is the shining light of our media and broadcasting?

so an idio.t can call some people idi.ot.. u r a crowned idi.ot.

2 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by Acekidc4(m): 8:06am On Apr 28, 2015
lordkrato:

Hmm.. Thought you where silly but this takes the cake.. And who are the idiots liking this bland comment?? !!

You must be a very big fool to Post this Stu.pid Comment!!

What are we saying, what the fvck are you saying

2 Likes

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:06am On Apr 28, 2015
ossy4rill:

Imagine Jonathan doing same to Premium times, Leadership, Sahara reporters.

Nigerians , APC don dupe una, open up the box its fake CHANGE inside
Flashback: GEJ clamps down on the press, seize newspapers and arrests journalists

https://www.nairaland.com/2123824/revealed-gej-clamps-down-press

1 Like

Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by tcaandrew: 8:06am On Apr 28, 2015
not4sure:
Security officials attached to Muhammadu Buhari have barred African Independent Television (AIT) from covering the functions of the president-elect till further notice.

Buhari Clamps Down On AIT

The security team according to Punch cited security reports and ethical issues as reasons for their action.

READ ALSO: Buhari Says Boko Haram Has Nothing To Do With Religion

The directive which took effect on Monday, April 27, was enforced when members of AIT crew, who were at the Defence House to cover of a meeting between Buhari and a visiting Cuban delegation, were asked to leave.

Confirming this to Punch, the crew said: Yes, we were told but we cannot just leave; we have a job to do. In any case, we have not been officially informed about what we have done wrong.

On why AIT was restricted from covering functions of the president-elect, Mallam Garba Sheh, the director of press of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organisation, noted that security concerns informed the decision.

He said: “AIT has been asked to stay aside based on security and family concerns. In addition, General Buhari has decided that they will have to resolve some issues relating to issues of standard and ethics.

“We will be talking with them to try and resolve the matter but for now, the station has been asked to stay aside because, like I said, there are some family and security concerns.

“They have been asked to step down their coverage until we resolve the matter with them on ethics and standards.”

In weeks building up the presidential election, AIT was criticized for airing a documentary, “The Real Buhari” which x-rayed the retired general’s past military regime as one that become the first to sentence a woman to death by firing squad.

The documentary was described by the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a“fabricated and hate broadcast” against its presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari.

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) also indicted the African Independent Television (AIT) and the National Television Authority (NTA) for the airing several documentaries which maligned the image of Muhammadu Buhari.

http://www.naij.com/428854-buhari-bars-ait-till-further-notice.html

Cc lalasticlala
nigerians watch out 4 buhari ooo
Re: Real Reason Buhari Barred AIT by ralph28(m): 8:06am On Apr 28, 2015
Hmmmm,not too sure if GMB has the right to stop a 'Press' personel from covering an event that has nationl flavour.

Let me consult some law books.

But let's be realistic,election has come and gone,won and lost. Whosoever that won,we the entire Nigerians voted him in.

Can we be civil? O! Wisdom we need you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Mallam Adamu Ciroma Is Dead / “If Goodluck Jonathan Were President During Coronavirus” By Reno Omokri / It’s Now All About Nigerians Vs Buhari - Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.