Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State (9416 Views)

Crude Oil Discovery In Nigeria Has It Been A Blessing Or A Curse On The Nation? / Nnpc Faults Kwara’s Claim On Oil Discovery / Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by asha80(m): 9:47am On Feb 03, 2009
Over the last week, Canadian oil giant Addax Petroleum announced that it had struck new oil deposits in the Njaba Basin in Imo State. Like any other oil company, Addax celebrated the news and began drawing up plans to cash in on its discovery, with obviously no mention of what impact the finding of this Aladdin’s Cave will have on Nigeria.

In a sane and rational world, one would assume that such a find would be good news for the Nigerian economy as it would boost export earnings, create jobs, act as a spur for the local environment, create associated employment and serve as a catalyst for regeneration across Imo State. However, our experience in Nigeria tells us that this is unlikely to be the case as history has shown us that such finds have done next to nothing for our people.

Apart from the overwhelming evidence from the Niger Delta to prove that oil discovery means nothing to the lives of the people in whose community it is found, we actually know that in many cases, it actually leads to worsening living standards. Apart from this, we also know that oil has led to the decimation of many local industries that thrived before the black oil curse was cast on our people.

Across the Niger Delta, we used to have thriving fishing, basket-making, weaving, canoe-building and net-making industries before slicks and gas firing decimated the region. Since 1958, oil has rendered millions of people unemployed across the Niger Delta, with the petroleum industry failing to absorb even one tenth of them.

Addax Petroleum currently produces approximately 6,000 barrels per day from the Ossu and Izombe fields in OML124 in Imo State and with this latest find that figure is likely to increase significantly. What nobody has told us is how or even whether the lives of the people of Imo State will be improved as a result of the discovery.

Knowing that cynicism has become a national pastime across Nigeria, I would hate to join the ranks of the naysayers, so I am inclined to give Addax the benefit of the doubt in certain regards. They must have seen what is going on to the south of Imo State, we now have a 13% derivation formula in place and the Niger Delta Development Commission is trying to build critical infrastructure across Nigeria’s nine oil-producing states.

Having said that, it remains to be seen if Addax and our administrators have learnt from past mistakes. However, for arguments sake, let us give Ufot Ekaette the benefit of the doubt. Oil in itself is not the main problem as far as I am concerned but what makes it a curse is that it has stifled our national development. As of now, 95% of Nigeria’s export earnings come from crude oil sales and there are no plans whatsoever to alter this.

So long as the taps keep flowing, we as a people are content to sit back, live off the proceeds and delude ourselves into thinking that crude is an infinite resource. We have made no serious attempt to diversify our economy, get manufacturing going, revive agriculture, develop a modern tourist industry, learn how to provide world-class services or explore the plethora of opportunities solid minerals offer.

Now and again we hear half-hearted proclamations from government ministers but on the evidence so far, this is nothing but political posturing. Apart from maybe Lagos State, no other state in the federation is capable of sustaining itself without the handout known as federal allocation.

If the finance ministry in Abuja decided that for one month it would not share out revenue, our states would become paralysed. Not only would workers’ salaries not be paid but the actual state structure would freeze. There would be no schools, health centres or even state houses of assembly functioning.

Unlike most other oil-producing countries, crude oil has created an unprecedented dependency culture in Nigeria that is actually very frightening. What right has a state got to its existence if it cannot meet its running costs out of its own internally generated revenue?

There is something morally repugnant about a state governor shamelessly going to queue in Abuja every month for federal handouts with no long-term plans to ever make his state financially independent. I would go as far as saying that having the ability to run your own affairs without federal aid should be criteria for the existence of a state.

Fortunately for us in Nigeria, none of our 36 states are located in barren deserts where nothing grows, there are no resources and economic activity is impossible. Our inability to generate non-oil revenue is down to nothing but a lack of political will on the part of our leaders.

Seeing how long this has gone on for, it is hard to reach any other conclusion than the view that we are never going to get off our collect behinds and do anything about it until the oil runs out. They say necessity is the mother or invention, so it may just be that without oil, the bony hand of hunger might force us into getting our collective acts together.

Countries with similar climatic conditions as Nigeria such as Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, India and Thailand, make nothing less than $20bn a year from agricultural export earnings. There is simply no reason why Nigeria cannot at least match this. With the amount of arable land we have at our disposal, revenue from our farm produce exports should easily surpass what we currently get from oil.

If Malaysia can generate $10bn from palm oil export sales alone, nothing is stopping Nigeria with more than 10 times the amount of cultivatable land from raising at least $50bn annually. Given that the Malaysians got their seedlings from Nigeria originally, this alone should shame us into getting our act together. What does it take to produce hybrid seeds, woo commercial farmers, get our smallholders to form co-operatives and introduce semi-processing?

Leaving agriculture aside, are countries such as Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam, Cambodia and Bangladesh where the likes of Nike and Reebok manufacture most of their goods any more technologically advanced than Nigeria? Is there anything stopping our erstwhile commerce and industry minister Achike Udenwa from wooing such companies to outsource production to Nigeria?

Across the banking and telecommunications world, India has stolen a march on everyone by attracting call centres and customer service outfits. I believe Nigerian English sounds more coherent to the average Westerner than that of our Asian cousins and we should have been in there first.

Wherever one looks, opportunities are limitless if we care to search. Our problem is simply that with the black gold flowing from the Niger Delta, there is no incentive to develop other areas of our economy. As a result, our export earnings are $60bn when they should be $300bn and our gross domestic product is $200bn when it should be $900bn.

As long as 140m people are scrambling for these meagre resources, Nigeria will never be at ease with itself and all the ensuing socio-economic problems that come with poverty will continue to afflict us. Until it is made mandatory for states to source their own income, I do not see things changing for the better in the near future.

Maybe having a constitutional provision that allows the president to declare a state of emergency in any state that cannot fund its own annual budget might just do the trick. Whatever short-term problems this will lead to, I believe it is necessary to end this dependency culture that has got us locked into a vicious cycle of take and spend.

Ayo Akinfe

aakinfe@aol.com
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php/content/view/11383/55

Quite frankly I do not think this is a good development for my state. especially looking at what is happening in the delta at the moment.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by meexteriox(m): 4:06pm On Feb 03, 2009
What exactly is your point? I can't see the bad omen you are trying to paint here.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by lucabrasi(m): 4:15pm On Feb 03, 2009
are you sure you read the whole article?
the dude is not painting a bad omen but being understandably worried considering what we have experienced of the niger delta,i quite agree that while the indigenes of imo state might complain now,knowing nigerian politicians, things will be ten times worse and they will have much more fundamental problems to contend with when the oil drilling starts in earnest.

personally i hope the indigenes raise awarness of these issues and resist any proper drilling or further exploration untill they have a cast idron agreement in place for dealing with the waste that ll ensue from the drilling,gas flaring e.t.c
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by asha80(m): 4:50pm On Feb 03, 2009
@meexteriox
Oil spilages
Enviromental degradation
Unrest
These issues should be handled well otherwise our state wil go the way of niger delta.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by meexteriox(m): 5:49pm On Feb 03, 2009
@asha 80
I now understand your worries, and sincerely, they are well justified.
Really, the Eastern Heartland, does not need a replay of degradation
on going in the Niger Delta right now.

I just hope they are taking note (Government & Addax), before they
get drunk with their latest discovery. Their drunkeness from the Niger Delta
has not elapsed since the Oloibiri days.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by meexteriox(m): 5:57pm On Feb 03, 2009
@asha 80
I need to ask you though, is the Njaba basin within the Njaba/Nnenasa/Umuaka axis?
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by asha80(m): 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2009
I think so
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by udezue(m): 10:17pm On Feb 03, 2009
We are praying for oil to dry up in the East now Imo state even got more. Chineke!!!!
Abeg Imo state people and East gotta keep an eye on this b4 they turn our land into another Niger Delta.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by udezue(m): 10:18pm On Feb 03, 2009
Now u see if we had autonomy the state can stop any further exploration but we don't so only the Feds can decide.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by naijaking1: 10:22pm On Feb 03, 2009
Those brand new houses and city they're planning in Kaduna; where do you think the money will come from?
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by udezue(m): 10:49pm On Feb 03, 2009
Imo state. Damn parasites.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by osisi2(f): 12:37am On Feb 04, 2009
You people don't worry.Our people have not been sitting around asking for handouts and they won't just because oil is flowing.
We've always worked hard.
There shall be no MEND in Njaba in Jesus' name.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by doyin13(m): 12:40am On Feb 04, 2009
which kain name be this. . .e no join abeg

i mean. . .Bonny light crude. Brent Crude. Nymex Crude. very Behind

Then u com get Njaba crude. . . na panya name be that na
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by asha80(m): 12:45am On Feb 04, 2009

Na Behind person dey chop grin
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by meexteriox(m): 9:58am On Feb 04, 2009
doyin13:

Is it about the name or the resources?
Please keep your stupidity in check, please.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by cvibe: 10:09am On Feb 04, 2009
I envisage MEND IMO state chapter finalising their business development plan. i.e. kidnap, ransome fees, drop points, safe house etc. wink
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by doyin13(m): 10:12am On Feb 04, 2009
meexteriox:

Look at this Emulewu. Okoro feeling funky

U berra warn yaself oo or else I will have you inhaling Onitsha gutter fumes

Iti Bolibo angry angry angry
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by zukkymike(m): 10:13am On Feb 04, 2009
cvibe:

I envisage MEND IMO state chapter finalising their business development plan. i.e. kidnap, ransome fees, drop points, safe house etc. wink
and you forgot bunkering.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by meexteriox(m): 10:21am On Feb 04, 2009
doyin13:

Look at this Emulewu. Okoro feeling funky

Now you have totally lost it.
Oya, continue your rampage of stupidity, it is inherent in you certainly.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by BidenFan: 10:29am On Feb 04, 2009
Kidnapping moves to the east full.time
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by delegiwa(m): 10:35am On Feb 04, 2009
meexteriox:

My guy, I don't think there was any need for your second statement.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by doyin13(m): 10:47am On Feb 04, 2009
meexteriox:

Now you have totally lost it.
Oya, continue your rampage of stupidity, it is inherent in you certainly.

Inveterate Baboon  angry angry
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by ohaechesi(m): 10:51am On Feb 04, 2009
cvibe:

I am sure you are not being jealous wink

udezue:

Imo state. Damn parasites.

sorry but i think you are the worst parasite i've ever come across. now you people should get it straight, in the bible i quote "the three wise men came from the East and not South-south or south east" it therefore means that the time for a change has come to that innocent land of ours and whosoever that sees it as misfortune should go and die, period. what benefit has Nigeria ever derived from the North, west and the host of them but they have benefited benevolently from the sources derived from their neighboring states without showing any form of appreciation. for those people from Imo state whom must had been affected negatively by the fashola's administration, i want to tell you all that God has answered your prayers. you people can now comfortably go back to your state and enjoy the manner from heaven or what do you thing wink grin
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by ohaechesi(m): 10:58am On Feb 04, 2009
BidenFan:

sure, you will be the first to be kidnapped. funny enough, you can't get your ass to Imo state again (if you have once been their) with our a VISA or else, wink
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by angelina08(f): 11:22am On Feb 04, 2009
What exactly is your point? I can't see the bad omen you are trying to paint here.

Those brand new houses and city they're planning in Kaduna; where do you think the money will come from? haa
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by toosoon(m): 11:43am On Feb 04, 2009
This an opportunity for dejected Bike Men in PH to go form Bikessi Group in IMO State!!! God forbid sha!!!!
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by ohaechesi(m): 11:45am On Feb 04, 2009
BidenFan:

Sure, you are damn right but i want to assure you that you can't get your ass to Imo state again (that's if you have once been their). The reason is simply because you need now need a Visa before traveling to Imo state either by road, sea, ocean, river, water, mmiri  grin grin or by air. for visa application, please contact me on my hot nairaland link.

Noted: you must ascertain the below qualification before we can issue you Imo State Visa:

1) free from Western (ofe mmanu) racism
2) free from northern terrorism
3) you shall be ready to hang and sleep on the street of Owerre because there wont be accommodation for those of you that does not have their resident permit. (be you the present Mallam in  the current administration) laye laye.
4) come with a visa fee range because we do not collect cash but anything of the same range with a brown new HUMMER JEEP (first class visa), INFINITY JEEP (second class visa) and X5 JEEP  (you might be consider for third class visa)
that will be all for now.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by Phemzy(m): 11:52am On Feb 04, 2009
Its a good development to Imo State because it reduce unemployment rate and other economic development but on the other hand, it will increase militant operation in Imo State. So it will be better for Addax and Imo State government to be making plans ahead of overcoming militant operation.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by meexteriox(m): 12:09pm On Feb 04, 2009
doyin13:

Inveterate Baboon angry angry

I'm not surprised at your outburst, finally your insanity is taking a new shape.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by Abagworo(m): 12:57pm On Feb 04, 2009
One thing i cant understand is the reason why yorubas who are meant to be our brothers are always full of envy,jealousy and hatred.what i want to tell them as well as ijaws is that igbos love them and will always be happy at their success.the only non-igbos that love us are the calabar and idoma.imo has always had oil so the oil is not new.we re infact 5th out of 9.
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by grafikdon: 1:42pm On Feb 04, 2009
doyin13:

ROTFLMAO !!!!!
Re: Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State by Shinatu: 2:01pm On Feb 04, 2009
The community is not powerless, I am sure Addax would not want to be on the bad side of the community.
They can make it a good thing for themselves if they are not selfish.
Let them come together and tell Addax the projects they want for the development of their community.

They should tie a community benefit (Schools, hospitals, roads )to every stage of Addax exploration and Production.

No oil company takes the community for granted anymore, it is internationally frowned at, and would affect
the company's PR.

What happened in the Niger delta is that some elders/topshot  who said they were representing the community became super rich while the rest of the community lived in penury.

The youth later took over but they do exactly what the elders did.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Albert Obazee Turns Racist Asking An Igbo Hawker To Go To His State / 2023: Kwankwaso Vows To Recruit 750,000 Petsonnel Into The Military / Enugu Guber: Labour Party Candidate Accused Of Attacking PDP Candidate, mbah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.