Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off (735 Views)

Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand / Man Fulfills His Promise, Pours Water On Floor And Drinks On Buhari's Arrival / Is Buhari's AIT Ban An Own Goal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off by BabaNath(m): 4:16pm On Apr 28, 2015
My Honest Opinion on the GMB/AIT face-off
So much has been said and heard of this topic within 24hours of issuance of the 'no coverage' directive by the President-elect. I will not like to bore anyone with unnecessary conjectures.
I am somewhat not a pro or anti of this 'directive'. Why I have chosen to pen down my view on it, despite my busy schedule, is to set some records straight. Like Vladimir Lenin said "A lie told often enough becomes the truth ."
Some of my very good friends on the other side of the political divide, saw the 'directive' issued by GMB as a political capital. Claiming Nigeria will indeed miss Jonathan's large heart and democratic ways of handling state affairs and and on the other hand labelled GMB as an unrepentant dictator who is bent on getting back at his supposed enemies.
There are some who feels that this is a prelude to what should be expected from GMB after he has been sworn in as President (Clampdown on Media). Jonathan has suddenly turned into their hero. 'Aah, this kind of anomaly never existed under Jonathan.' 'People said all manner of things and were not jailed or arrested'
All the aforementioned statements are true to an extent but I will like to X-ray Jonathan's relationship with the media all along. Jonathan has never been a friend of the media as claimed by a certain section of the society. Although he deserves some credit for signing the FoI bill into law (The watered-down version). Need we remind ourselves of the open atrocities Jonathan's government committed against the freedom of the press?
When Channels aired an independent documentary showing the rot in the Police College, Ikeja, rather than swing into action immediately, castigated channelsTV and labelled them an enemy of his government. http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-pays-surprise-visit-to-ikeja-police-college/
Remember the two staff of Aljazeera that was arrested on
trump up charges? http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/04/nigerian-military-frees-al-jazeeras-journalists/.
Finally, the unnecessary clampdown on the print media sometimes ago. http://www.punchng.com/news/nigerians-warn-jonathan-military-against-media-clampdown/
All these and many more attest to the fact that Jonathan is not a media friendly person as some of his fans want us to believe. I do not have an issue with anyone who has decided to make Jonathan his hero or Fayose his role model. The only problem I have with them is the manner in which they turn facts on its head.
On a final note, if GMB feels the documentary - The real Buhari - is damaging to his political career, person, and/or family, he should humbly approach the court like he has done in the case against Abati R. On the other hand, if AIT feels GMB's directive has affected its integrity as a news medium, it should approach the same court of law.
The election has been won and lost. We all should be patient enough to wait until GMB is sworn in before further assessment of his style of governance. God bless Nigeria and Nigerians alike. Awolope n.o. Wrote from Lagos
Re: A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off by Mogidi: 4:25pm On Apr 28, 2015
All these and many more attest to the fact that Jonathan is not a media friendly person

If GEJ isn't media friendly, what then should Buhari be likened with considering his antecedents with media houses?

Remind me who jailed Nduka irabor and Tunde Thompson for embarrassing his govt.
Re: A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off by xpac01(m): 4:28pm On Apr 28, 2015
Nice one bro. Me I just know that I won't miss GEJ even once. No matter who comes on board I still believe he is just incapable for that position.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2015
[quote author=Mogidi post=33204224]
embarrassing his govt
Do you know what it means??
Re: A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2015
Mogidi:

If GEJ isn't media friendly, what then should Buhari be likened with considering his antecedents with media houses?

Remind me who jailed Nduka irabor and Tunde Thompson for embarrassing his govt.
Do you you what it means to embarass
Re: A Nairalander's Opinion On Buhari/ait Face-off by Mogidi: 4:33pm On Apr 28, 2015
tkcosby02:

Do you you what it means to embarass

Yes i know what it means.
If you write anything that was not favourable to his regime it becomes an embarrassment.

(1) (Reply)

Image: Buhari And This Donkey...similarity Of Story? / I Will Defeat Boko Haram Before I Leave Aso Rock – President Jonathan / Nigerian Embassy In Doha!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.