Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,916 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! (22619 Views)

Ministerial List: Seun Kuti Says He Has Lost Hope On Buhari Administration / Lucky Igbinedion’s Mansion In Abuja (See The Multi-billion Naira House) / Zakzaky Identifies Soldier Who Shot His 3 Sons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by pixiraver(m): 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2009
I just saw it on SABC news, the guy who shot Lucky Dube claimed he thought Dube was a Nigerian  shocked shocked can you imagine? Are we being used for shooting practice in South Africa?

So if Dube was actually a Nigerian he deserves to be shot? Wonders shall never end,  This is pure Xenophobia, they blame Nigerians for stealing their women, women which they mistreat, they blame Nigerians for stealing their jobs, while they are busy partying and drinking, they even blame us for the huge crime rate in SA, rubbish!
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by BOSS7: 9:36pm On Feb 03, 2009
Let's not just totally shift the blame on these South Africans. If Nigeria as a country is as good, would Nigerians flood to South Africa in their thousands/millions? However shooting someone because you think he's a Nigerian is not an excuse for shooting him.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Okijajuju1(m): 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2009
Interesting.

Too bad he missed.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by pixiraver(m): 9:50pm On Feb 03, 2009
I don't really agree with you B.O.S.S like every country in the world foreigners migrate from one country to the other, there are Chinese all over the world, there are Indians and Pakistanis in South Africa, the US, Nigeria, Ghana etc there are Jamaicans in the UK the lists goes on and on, so if there are Nigerians anywhere in the world i think they deserve to live there as long as their stay is legal.

Do you know how many Togolese, Gabonese, Americans, Ghanaians, Indians, Chinese etc that reside in Nigeria? Do we we try to shoot them daily? No. Instead we tolerate them and treat them very well but this is not the case of some stupid South Africans who thinks we are goats that should be shot at.

1 Like

Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Kobojunkie: 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2009
Is there a source for this info apart from tv ?
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by pixiraver(m): 10:01pm On Feb 03, 2009
Yes there is visit http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=19236 or read the post below

JOHANNESBURG — Reggae star Lucky Dube was allegedly shot dead because one of his assailants thought he was a Nigerian national, the Johannesburg High Court heard yesterday.

Mpho Maropeng, wife to Thabo Maropeng whose charges have since been dropped, said that on the day of Dube’s death, four men including her husband had driven to Rosettenville. This is according to what her hsuband told her a day after the incident.

She said Thabo told her what had happened after receiving a call from one of the accused, Mbuti Mabe, telling him to watch a television broadcast showing Dube’s death. “I was also watching … they were showing Lucky Dube singing and depicted a vehicle which had crashed into a tree.

That’s when Thabo said he wanted to tell me something.

“He told me that they had driven to Rosettenville …

“He said they drove around, all four of them, in the Polo. They stopped in a certain spot in Rosettenville. A Chrysler C200 stopped close by during which time accused number one and two went out of the VW and approached the Chrysler.

“While Thabo and accused number three remained in the car. He said they then heard the first gunshot going off and accused number three told Thabo to go see what had happened.

“Thabo said he went to the car, placed both hands on the roof and looked what had happened before going back to the Polo.

“During this time a second shot went off and he said that accused number one and two came back and told them to drive off.”

Mpho said that when she asked Thabo why they had shot Dube he told her that Mabe had told him that “he did not see it was him [Dube]. He thought it was a Nigerian national.”

Mabe, Sifiso Mhlanga and Julius Xowa, all in their thirties, are on trial for the murder of Dube on October 13, 2007.

The trial continues today.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Ellyptical: 10:12pm On Feb 03, 2009
Read this thread and you may get a glimpse of the question
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-227264.0.html
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by BOSS7: 10:20pm On Feb 03, 2009
pixiraver:

so if there are Nigerians anywhere in the world i think they deserve to live there as long as their stay is legal.
Very legit argument. I agree with you and withdraw my statement. Though I mentioned shooting someone in the name of "thinking he's Nigerian is not an excuse in my post above".
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Grizzly(m): 10:23pm On Feb 03, 2009
that is patheeeeeeeeeeeeeeetic,
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by pixiraver(m): 10:28pm On Feb 03, 2009
Not all South Africans are like that, it is mostly the illiterate ones that behave like that, but it is really pathetic cry
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Nobody: 4:23am On Feb 04, 2009
Too bad.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by jamace(m): 6:33am On Feb 04, 2009
Interesting.

Too bad he missed.

Okija Juju wake up, is that all you can do? grin grin
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Jakumo(m): 6:51am On Feb 04, 2009
The trigger man may have run into quite a few Nigerians who claim that they wear Juju talismans which can impart bullet-proof properties, and so he may have felt compelled to shoot one to see if the claims were true.

Too bad one of the world's most talented reggae musicians wound up as the guinea-pig for that ballistics experiment.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Mpele(m): 7:17am On Feb 04, 2009
PIXIRAVER! You're such a lier, give us a link. I watched SABC news yesterday.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by chidichris(m): 9:30am On Feb 04, 2009
for every crime, there must be a reason be it a good or bad one. the issue here is that lucky dube is gone and these men must tell people something and that is what they have done knowing too well that it will draw some kind of sympathy to them.

on the other hand, a typical nigerian man is a threat to the existance of citizens of other africans in their own country. in all the african countries i have visited, their girls have this dream of having a nigerian boyfriend.

their men most times believes that nigerian men have what it takes to take away their women from them hence they have inferiority complex.

all in all, thinking that lucky dube was a nigerian is not going to serve as a good reason for killing him unless there is any segment of the south african constitution that warrants the killing of nigerians at sight.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by abdurrazaq(m): 9:50am On Feb 04, 2009
What an excuse? angry
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Kobojunkie: 12:13pm On Feb 04, 2009
abdurrazaq:

What an excuse? angry

seconded!
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by youngies(m): 12:27pm On Feb 04, 2009
Thirded!
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by meexteriox(m): 1:04pm On Feb 04, 2009
Flimsy, really flimsy excuse.
They should all rot in jail.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by lucabrasi(m): 1:09pm On Feb 04, 2009
@poster
dont mind the guy,all he is trying to do is play into the collective pshyche of majority of the south africans, so that he will be shown some mercy, lets forget about the nigeria issue for a second
is he saying he hoestly doesnt recognise one of their biggest stars?its like a nigerian saying they dont know 2 face or dbanj or osuofia in london guy.

and even if he doesnt for some reason,lucky dube clearly doesnt look nigerian in any way shape or form,least of all the rasta hairdo,for their sake i just hope the judges dont fall for that excuse
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by dgreatrock(m): 1:21pm On Feb 04, 2009
lucabrasi:

@poster
dont mind the guy,all he is trying to do is play into the collective pshyche of majority of the south africans, so that he will be shown some mercy, lets forget about the nigeria issue for a second
is he saying he hoestly doesnt recognise one of their biggest stars?its like a nigerian saying they dont know 2 face or dbanj or osuofia in london guy.

and even if he doesnt for some reason,lucky dube clearly doesnt look nigerian in any way shape or form,least of all the rasta hairdo,for their sake i just hope the judges dont fall for that excuse

He is appealing to the 'hatred factor' in the mind of the average south african which naturally hates nigerians.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by BOSS6: 1:36pm On Feb 04, 2009
this is starting from SA, watch how it will spread to other countries - the slogan will be, KILL THEM NIGERIAN NIGGERS.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by morpheus24: 2:53pm On Feb 04, 2009
.B.O.S.S.:

this is starting from SA, watch how it will spread to other countries - the slogan will be, KILL THEM NIGERIAN NIGGERS.

Guy don't worry about that there is like 200milliion of us if you reduce that size to half it won't even be enough if you add the whole of southern Africa's population combined.

Strength is in numbers.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by lucabrasi(m): 3:15pm On Feb 04, 2009
morpheus24:

Strength is in numbers.
not when the numbers are dis united or under an un in spiring leadership
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by cre8tivity(f): 3:34pm On Feb 04, 2009
I just saw it on SABC news, the guy who shot Lucky Dube claimed he thought Dube was a Nigerian    can you imagine? Are we being used for shooting practice in South Africa?

So if Dube was actually a Nigerian he deserves to be shot? Wonders shall never end,  This is pure Xenophobia, they blame Nigerians for stealing their women, women which they mistreat, they blame Nigerians for stealing their jobs, while they are busy partying and drinking, they even blame us for the huge crime rate in SA, rubbish!

@poster, do you remember ghana must go?
we haven't positioned ourselves well enough to blame anybody. what goes around comes around if you don't get your sht together. let us deal with it and fight back by making things right, here at home. this way we need not to escape to other countries to eat sht.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by AKO1(m): 3:39pm On Feb 04, 2009
mpele read up. I also watched yesterday's news.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by palmwine(m): 3:50pm On Feb 04, 2009
The same South Africa Nigeria help during appathied?

The only thing that fades faster than beauty is gratitude.

If this guy could say this, then their seem to be an official approval (though unwriten) for hostility against Nigerians sad
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by RSA(m): 4:00pm On Feb 04, 2009
Three of those 4 accused are from Zimbabwe,only one guy is South African.Maybe the guy was right in saying he didn't know that the guy was Lucky Dube,because he is not a local.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by morpheus24: 4:09pm On Feb 04, 2009
lucabrasi:

not when the numbers are dis united or under an un in spiring leadership

You underestimate the Nigerian Spirit, Start killing them and see what happens, especially the igbo's
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by morpheus24: 4:10pm On Feb 04, 2009
RSA:

Three of those 4 accused are from Zimbabwe,only one guy is South African.Maybe the guy was right in saying he didn't know that the guy was Lucky Dube,because he is not a local.

And your point is?
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by Eziachi: 4:11pm On Feb 04, 2009
South Africans are learning very fast and I wonder were they learn such a stupid and xenophobic act?
Probably or just maybe from Nigeria? where it's very much legal to kill OKORO man.

And like someone just asked, do you remember Ghana must go? We forgot they were our brothers and treated them like animals, gave them two weeks to leave and we smile with Gulder in one hand as Ghananian were packed like sardine into trailers and lorries.
I am even surprise many Africans haven't resorted to such a mindless hatred toward those that they tell them at every turn that they are rich, big and self crown giant of Africa but still in their country eating their corn.
Re: Man who shot Lucky Dube says he thought he was a Nigerian! by yarodin: 7:04pm On Feb 04, 2009
RSA:

[/quote
RSA link=topic=228554.msg3425420#msg3425420 date=1233759642:

Zimbabwe, South Africans, "Zumba Zumba", you all are the same.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Libya Deportee Kidnaps And Robs Female Corper In Benin / Buhari Hasn’t Apologised To Senate – Presidency / Sanwo-Olu's Wife Joins Campaign Train, Meets Women's Groups (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.