Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? (33808 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Says Ladies Attitude Today Is Why Marriages Are Failing Much. / Why Do Married Folk See A Pastor For Every Little Disagreement? / Pentecostal Pastors Are Satanic Agents - True worshipers Be Very Careful! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by EddyTells(m): 10:12am On Oct 17, 2005
[quote][/quote]marriages between atheists and christians

i really do not see how that would work. But if it does, then definitely there is a God
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 10:16am On Oct 17, 2005
Eddy Tells:

grin fight attack
@ lioness - whats up girl?
Yeah, if arguments fail you... appeal to emotion sad
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 10:17am On Oct 17, 2005
Eddy Tells:

i really do not see how that would work. But if it does, then definitely there is a God

Our marriage is the proof it does.

And that's the most weird logic I've ever seen. Care to explain?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 10:32am On Oct 17, 2005
[/quote]What's that supposed to mean? exactly what it reads. For someone with a better choice of words, i'd expect you'd understand simplier words. Or are u going toask me toexplainwhat i've just said again.

No, but I can attest to the fact that there is no impediment to succes. And its slightly arrogant (for a lack of better words, I don't mean anything so harsh) to imply that I cannot have any insight in christianity because I'm no christian. Shouldn't one study lions in the wild because you're not a lion yourself. Don't you have anythin meaningful to say becasue your a non-lion. Maybe it even gives you more insight because you have a little more distance

Well, if u feel u shd know better about christainity because ur outside the boat... well thumps up for u then. These days, anything can "shele".

[quote]
Now that's funny.
Do you mean that marriages between atheists and christians have more chance of succeeding than those between christians of different denominations? Now i have said no such thing. like u said, there's no impedi... grin to success.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 10:33am On Oct 17, 2005
[What's that supposed to mean?/quote]  exactly what it reads.  For someone with a better choice of words, i'd expect you'd understand simplier words.  Or are u going toask me toexplainwhat i've just said again.

[No, but I can attest to the fact that there is no impediment to succes. And its slightly arrogant (for a lack of better words, I don't mean anything so harsh) to imply that I cannot have any insight in christianity because I'm no christian. Shouldn't one study lions in the wild because you're not a lion yourself. Don't you have anythin meaningful to say becasue your a non-lion. Maybe it even gives you more insight because you have a little more distance
/quote]Well, if u feel u shd know better about christainity because ur outside the boat...  well thumps up for u then. These days, anything can "shele".

[quote][Now that's funny.
Do you mean that marriages between atheists and christians have more chance of succeeding than those between christians of different denominations? /quote] Now i have said no such thing.  like u said, there's no impedi...  grin to success.
[/quote]
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 10:43am On Oct 17, 2005
lioness:

[What's that supposed to mean?/quote] exactly what it reads. For someone with a better choice of words, i'd expect you'd understand simplier words. Or are u going toask me toexplainwhat i've just said again.
Actually I am - sorry for that. I honestly don't understand what you mean with "I guess you just explain your kind of marriage."

lioness:

Now i have said no such thing. like u said, there's no impedi... Grin Huh to success.
Sorry here Again, forgive me my choice of words, as English is not my mother tongue, I sometimes use words I've picked up, without knowing whether or not they're widely used. I mean nothing should be preventing the success of the mariage.
And I was just trying to follow up on the logic. Apparently without success
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 10:48am On Oct 17, 2005
lipsrsealed

Hey Nferyn, There's no pattern to a successful marriage okay. If yours has worked well, .... kool.
Am not gonna keep arguing with you over what we both know okay. So give it a rest,
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2005
Sorry for being the obnoxious male and wanting to have the last word, but the issue wasn't entirely closed to me.

lioness:

lipsrsealed

Hey Nferyn, There's no pattern to a successful marriage okay. If yours has worked well, .... kool.
Am not going to keep arguing with you over what we both know okay. So give it a rest,

Now I know that There's no pattern to a successful marriage actually equals I guess you just explain your kind of marriage.

I just noticed a negative tone to I guess you just explain your kind of marriage, but is was unwarranted
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Motee(f): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2005
I think one of the issues between Pentecostal and Catholic Marriages is their way of serving the Lord which is totally different.  

I respect Catholic worshippers because most of them are devoted but I disagree on so many issues with them and one of it is that of bowing down for Holy Mary.  To Pentecostal, you are worshiping a statute and it is a sin from our own point of view.

I think it is very, very important for couples to understand what they both believe before going into it. Ordinarily, the issue of religion can break a home and that is why we need to settle this before going into marriage.

@ Seun: Can you invite a Pastor to tell us all about Catholic and Pentecostal Worshippers?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 11:09am On Oct 17, 2005
[Sorry for being the obnoxious male and wanting to have the last word, but the issue wasn't entirely closed to me.]

Nothing tobe sorry about. Its not a male thing its just you. Hope i wont have to explain this rolleyes

[Now I know that There's no pattern to a successful marriage actually equals I guess you just explain your kind of marriage.
I just noticed a negative tone to I guess you just explain your kind of marriage, but is was unwarranted]

They mean 2 entirely different things. And for goodness sake Nferyn, your marriage isnt the issue on ground. If you've got doubts or issues with your marriage, post a topic.

Da lioness is a gonna ROAR at you soon
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 11:24am On Oct 17, 2005
@ lioness
If you feel that a successfull marriage between a Christian and and atheist does not support the thesis that marriages between catholics and Pentecostals can be successful, please say so.

It would hurt me that people that really love each other would be turned away from each other, just because of some doctrinal differences between their two Christian faiths. The joke I posted before is till very much on topic:

A man is walking across a bridge, when he sees another guy about to jump off.
"Hey, man" he says, "you don't have to do that."
"Why not?" the other guy says, "I've got nothing to live for. I lost my job, I'm bankrupt,
my wife left me and took the kids, my car threw a rod, and my dog just died. My life totally sucks."
"But God still loves you," the man says, "you believe in God, don't you?"
"Well, I guess so," the guy says.
"Tell me, are you a Christian?"
"Yes" the guy answers.
"Well, so am I!" the man says. "Catholic or Protestant?"
"I'm Protestant"
"Well, so am I!" "Methodist, or Baptist, or Presbyterian?"
"I'm Baptist."
Well, so am I!" "Northern or Southern Baptist?"
"Northern Baptist."
"Well so am I!" "Northern fundamentalist, liberal, or reformed?"
"Northern fundamentalist."
"Well, so am I!" "Northern fundamentalist eastern region, or Great Lakes region?"
"Northern fundamentalist, eastern region."
"Well, so am I!" "Northern fundamentalist, eastern region conference of 1898, or conference of
1912?"
"Northern fundamentalist, eastern region, conference of 1912."
"Die, heretic!" the man says, and pushes him off the bridge.

Turning it into me having issues with my marriage is dishonest. I only used it as an example to explain that the issue at hand, shouldn't prevent two people that love each other dearly from marrying. That's my point
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 11:45am On Oct 17, 2005
Nferyn,

You must either love to argue or you dont even trust your own decisions. I thot we had dropped this issue.

Okay i agree with you and all your views.............. Now can we move on.

And by the way, that joke of yours, doesnt really justify anything.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Seun(m): 12:10pm On Oct 17, 2005
This topic has been locked for drifting off topic.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by EddyTells(m): 2:35pm On Nov 08, 2005
hey seun, is this back up.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by fabian(f): 2:45pm On Nov 08, 2005
*Hmm, passes by*
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2005
We're on speaking terms again cheesy
I don't think anything more needs to be added to this discussion. It has derailed already too much.

But if you insist ... grin
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by fabian(f): 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2005
Nferyn is always ready for an e-argument! Makes for interesting reading, anyway! cheesy
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 4:14pm On Nov 08, 2005
A pastor said its better to be a muslim than a catholic.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by fabian(f): 5:01pm On Nov 08, 2005
That's a terrible thing to say! What pastor is that? i would like to know!
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 5:17pm On Nov 08, 2005
na so i think the thingy too oo
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by fabian(f): 12:52pm On Nov 09, 2005
Lioness, you are too funny! grin
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by chrisd(m): 9:23pm On Jan 06, 2006
My lady ran away because I was was Catholic. I did not understand why, so there you go. But she talked about spirits every time and I never kept my mouth shut grin grin
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Logical(m): 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2006
lioness:

A pastor said its better to be a muslim than a catholic.

fabian:

That's a terrible thing to say! What pastor is that? i would like to know!

That is christians for you, at display, yet they claim to be, what is it again

It has been proven by past historical events, that only a "few" amount of people are normally in the right "cause". The question is what congregation would that be?

So called Christains? A lot of people read their books, because it is always the word. It gets the largest crowd.Think again.
Muslims? Difficulty and mis-intepretation drives people away. People don't read about what their books preach, they just assume and conclude.
Budhists? People don't read about their books, so they are always taught to be idolators, which actually they arent.
Hindus? Just like Budhism, people don't read about them, they just conclude.
and so and so.

And religion itself is questionable, since it is a human created term to qualify a certain collection or should i say congregation with one belief. But is religion turning to cultism?

Some practices in some religions points towards that direction.

Lioness and Fabian are you "true" christians? or Allow me to re-phrase it, Do you think you are "true" christians?

When a person is myopic, irrational, are not educated, how then would he/she think he is elightened? We are not taught one subject in school for example, have you given it a taught as to why it is so?

Why is christianity , islam or even other religions better than each other? I am still yet to get an intellectual answer, because there is always this irrational approach presented by the believers in disscussing religious related subjects.
I think it is like tribalism, or racism or even worse than that.

Religion seperates people, believe it or not. It brings disorder in the world we live in today, just as tribalism and racism does.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by chrisd(m): 10:20am On Jan 09, 2006
Well put logical
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 12:00pm On Jan 09, 2006
am a true christain, believe it or not. And i don't see any much difference in christainity [irrespective of the denomination] Are u a christain

[Lioness and Fabian are you "true" christians?  or Allow me to re-phrase  it, Do you think you are "true" christians?/quote]
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 12:03pm On Jan 09, 2006
Was she not a christain?? Am alittle bit interested, what spirits was she talking about.

[My lady ran away because I was was Catholic. I did not understand why, so there you go. But she talked about spirits every time and I never kept my mouth shut/quote]
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by otokx(m): 12:03pm On Jan 09, 2006
y_mi? am about to face the same problem. I think its because of the poverty in the land that a lot of pastors preach so much prosperity gospel in pentecostal churches. I have reason to believe that the girls in my church are after any guy that earns at least a 100k a month even when their parents combined monthly pay can't be much more than that if it gets there at all.

But the truth must be told; its either your going to forsake your beliefs and join him or he comes and join you which I doubt. The divide between catholism and pentecostalism in Nigeria goes deep. A lot will be involved. Personally I have told myself, if the girls parents consent and she does not mind then its ok but even if she consents and the parents are not happy then i'll forget it.

Its very delicate and dicey.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by thekrafter(m): 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2006
Otokx so you are finally settling down! Congratulations! As long as there's true love, that's all that really matters.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by otokx(m): 12:23pm On Jan 09, 2006
what is settling down? do u know me? am just giving some probable scenarios that could occur at the earliest next year if not some time in the future.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by chrisd(m): 12:37pm On Jan 09, 2006
She was pentecostal and I saw a lot of judgement there.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by chrisd(m): 12:40pm On Jan 09, 2006
God, Kin, church members, pastor were always more important than spouse for her. So I had to leave. Will not be with a pentecostal or evangelical again.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 12:54pm On Jan 09, 2006
its so sad whats happening. And everyday pple find themselves in this situation.
Anyway, am involved with a catholic and am pentecostal. There are some differences though but we try not to let it bother us so much. My mum says she kool with me marrying a catholic but my dad hasnt said anything yet. He says his folks dont have problems but my church is raising alot of issue. So we decided to meet each other half way. we shall both just join the Charistmatic renewal Movement. [its a bit of pentecostal & catholic] Atleast that way, we both have a sense of belonging spiritually.

Even with all that, am still open to any surprises..........

I guess pple shd talk things over and not be so adamant on life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? / Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin Gives His Wife ₦55M As Birthday Present / Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor: "Eat Your Tithe And Die Quick"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.