Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,324 members, 7,819,108 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name (47254 Views)

Xenophobia: Protesters Dispersed By South African Police (Photos) / Man Who Mocked Michelle Obama's, Allegedly Suspended From His Job For 3 Weeks / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Miaraka: 5:38am On May 05, 2015
Morpheus 24, you don't seem to get tired of trying to show that all South African are "xenophobic". Now you're even suggesting that the so-called xenophobia is embedded in our psyche. When you do that, you sound like the worst version of a xenophobe that has walked on the surface of Mother Earth. I'd like to believe that you didn't have time to think about the real meaning of your insult. You said it in anger. As the the intellectual that I sincerely believe you are, you may wish to peruse my two posts (see above) based on my lifetime experience here on the African continent, Europe and the US. Check them out and respond. I'd also propose that you begin to calm down, look at the bigger picture and propose the way forward for Nigeria-South Africa relations and the whole African continent.
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by ololo12: 1:29pm On May 05, 2015
Lol this xenophobic thing is old! Make una allow this matter die na
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by morpheus24: 3:55pm On May 05, 2015
Miaraka:
Morpheus 24, you don't seem to get tired of trying to show that all South African are "xenophobic". Now you're even suggesting that the so-called xenophobia is embedded in our psyche. When you do that, you sound like the worst version of a xenophobe that has walked on the surface of Mother Earth. I'd like to believe that you didn't have time to think about the real meaning of your insult. You said it in anger. As the the intellectual that I sincerely believe you are, you may wish to peruse my two posts (see above) based on my lifetime experience here on the African continent, Europe and the US. Check them out and respond. I'd also propose that you begin to calm down, look at the bigger picture and propose the way forward for Nigeria-South Africa relations and the whole African continent.

Been on this forum much much longer than you my young friend and have pretty much exchanged words and ideas with many or your comrades.

I have also been on many a South African sites where Nigerians are mentioned in despicable manners even to the extent of using words like "necklace" and the likes. The problem I have is with the continued generalization of a country with 160 million people 95% of which are harshing out a daily living and go about their daily lives trying to survive. I see this folk everyday I walk out my door and it is an INSULT to them and by extension to me. They don't have a voice to speak out against people who do this. This is not to say I do not recognize my country has a negative image problem but perception is not necessarily reality. It is what you want to see.

It is unfortunate that the lesser exemplary Nigerians make their way to your country and commit crimes and I have never nor will I ever make excuses for their actions on this forum. It is a simple process to deal with these miscreants. Send them back home. Ban them from coming to your country. No one will fault you for this.

My problem is a South African's inability to look beyond his borders and understand the broader issues of the continent you live in. The continued excuses made for your country men's violent tendencies and the inability to face the psychological effects of APartheid which translate to Xenophobia, criminality and self hate thus continuing to shape your perception and vision of the continent you live in. When it is brought up ya'll become sensitive and a false sense of Patriotism is used to mask those insecurities.

When you start owning up to your issues then I will calm down.

When you stop calling Nigerians drug dealers, I will stop calling your people Xenophobes

Ya ll are not ready to sit down and have a meaningful discussion yet, You are still dealing with too many INTERNAL issues.

Until then I remain the ever relentless, in your face Morpheus24

****PERCEPTION IS NOT ALWAYS REALITY........FREE YOUR MIND****

5 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by ololo12: 7:33pm On May 05, 2015
Morpheus says " Free your mind" wink
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Miaraka: 10:24am On May 07, 2015
Hi, Morpheus 24! I've decided to come to Nigeria for a face to face exchange of views. I'm in Lagos since last night. I'll soon be on my way attend a funeral at one of the villages.
Regarding, your "perception is not always reality", I concur with you. That notwithstanding, I'd like to remind you that One Man's Reality is Another Man's Perception. The reality I see in Sandton, Johannesburg or that you see in Lagos, may not necessarily be identical to the reality that squatter camp dwellers see and experience. While the majority of Nigerians are definitely the best people in the world, that doesn't necessarily mean that South Africa has also been blessed with a majority of the Nigerian angels I've met lived, studied and worked with since 1977.
Be that as it may, in South Africa, the Governent and the majority of South Africans are united in saying that Nothing Can Justify the maiming and killing of fellow humans, wherever they may have come from. As I've already said in a number of posts, we've already graduated from the level of expressing our shock, anger and disgust with regard to attacks on immigrants. We are now busy working hard and putting measures in place to obviate, once and for all, the underlying causes of attacks on immigrants as well as the violent nature of our society which we inherited from our apartheid past.
If you find sweet solace and cosy comfort in a perpetual embrace with the demon of anger, please keep it up and we'll pray that you survive the concomitant devastating effects.
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by 14(m): 10:49am On May 07, 2015
Miaraka:
Hi, Morpheus 24! I've decided to come to Nigeria for a face to face exchange of views. I'm in Lagos since last night. I'll soon be on my way attend a funeral at one of the villages.
Regarding, your "perception is not always reality", I concur with you. That notwithstanding, I'd like to remind you that One Man's Reality is Another Man's Perception. The reality I see in Sandton, Johannesburg or that you see in Lagos, may not necessarily be identical to the reality that squatter camp dwellers see and experience. While the majority of Nigerians are definitely the best people in the world, that doesn't necessarily mean that South Africa has also been blessed with a majority of the Nigerian angels I've met lived, studied and worked with since 1977.
Be that as it may, in South Africa, the Governent and the majority of South Africans are united in saying that Nothing Can Justify the maiming and killing of fellow humans, wherever they may have come from. As I've already said in a number of posts, we've already graduated from the level of expressing our shock, anger and disgust with regard to attacks on immigrants. We are now busy working hard and putting measures in place to obviate, once and for all, the underlying causes of attacks on immigrants as well as the violent nature of our society which we inherited from our apartheid past.
If you find sweet solace and cosy comfort in a perpetual embrace with the demon of anger, please keep it up and we'll pray that you survive the concomitant devastating effects.

WORD
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by morpheus24: 3:46pm On May 07, 2015
Miaraka:

Good for you. You are welcome in Nigeria. As you know you will find Nigerians eager to exchange views with you despite the recent events in your country. You willalso find them trying to understand a country they have very little knowledge of and no educated elite, working class individual or simple minded peasant shall relegate or shun you to the status of a "makwerekwere". Long live PAN-AFRICANISM

As far as the comment on "perpetual embrace with the demon of anger", I can only respond with a Nigerian saying that goes something like this...." As long as dem born MUGU everyday, 419 no dey finish".

In other words as long as stu.p.idity and ignorance exists amongst your people, Morpheus24's anger will be there to counter it.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by 14(m): 1:48am On May 10, 2015
morpheus24:

Good for you. You are welcome in Nigeria. As you know you will find Nigerians eager to exchange views with you despite the recent events in your country. You willalso find them trying to understand a country they have very little knowledge of and no educated elite, working class individual or simple minded peasant shall relegate or shun you to the status of a "makwerekwere". Long live PAN-AFRICANISM

As far as the comment on "perpetual embrace with the demon of anger", I can only respond with a Nigerian saying that goes something like this...." As long as dem born MUGU everyday, 419 no dey finish".

In other words as long as stu.p.idity and ignorance exists amongst your people, Morpheus24's anger will be there to counter it.

In dream land
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Nobody: 1:54am On May 10, 2015
I want all Zulus to be left alone in the squalor of Townships so that they can practice xenophobia on themselves. Ptui! Primitive people!
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by 14(m): 3:00am On May 10, 2015
all4naija:
I want all Zulus to be left alone in the squalor of Townships so that they can practice xenophobia on themselves. Ptui! Primitive people!

will it ever happen?
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by donodion(m): 10:07am On Jul 26, 2015
Miaraka:
We know and accept that you are not clowning when you threaten to close down and or destroy the property of South African companies and attack South Africans who are legally in your country. The negligibly few South Africans who were involved in the recent shameful, dastardly and unacceptable attacks on other Africans, learned from the best. In 1983, the democratically-elected Shehu Shagari government actually legislated the expulsion of at least 2 million Ghanaians and a few other African immigrants.
This act of xenophobia was repeated by the military in 1985. The beating and killing of innocent foreigners, mostly Ghanaians, had become a national pastime as they were blamed for the widespread crime, corruption and unemployment. By the force of law and popular support Ghanaians were ordered to leave within 7 days and take only N20.00 or $17. 65 USD with them. Their businesses were seized, closed down or destroyed. As if that was not enough, you danced, sang hate songs, mocked and laughed at them as they climbed onto overcrowded vehicles destined for the border. You even have a Ghana Must Go bag to crown it all!
Hitherto, South Africans had lived and worked peacefully for decades with Africans from as far as Tanzania, Madagascar, etc. Some of them even became great South African musicians, ANC and trade union leaders.
Siyabonga Gama is actually 4 years old and is South African. Siyabonga means "we are grateful" and Gama means "name" in the Zulu language. He was hit by a stray rubber bullet in February 2015 when the police were forced to fire at some people who were trying to illegally seize and occupy land in Diepsloot, north of Johanbesburg.
I've lived, studied and worked in many African and European countries. I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that prejudice is part of the DNA of human beings. It exists even among Nigerians. I'm South African, born and bred in the Gauteng province of South Africa. Other children used to call me Mafutha ( Zulu for fat) and also laugh at my big banana lips. They would mock others because they didn't have a dad or because they were slim or had big or small eyes, were light or very dark in complexion. If you ran to your mother, complaining about what other children were saying, she would train you how to hit back.
In Nigeria, our rivals told the girls that we hadn't been circumcised and were going to infect them. Most of our guys had no choice but to buy it at the market, as a result. At a school in the North East, when we were facing certain death or injury because a Yoruba girl loved one of us, Nigerian tribalism saved us. There were only 15 South Africans and Zimbabweans at our school. The battle line was drawn, Nigerian and Southern African boys were facing each, weapons in hand, when the Nigerians started quarreling among themselves. The Igbos joined us and that increased our number and stopped the fight. In the South East, one of us was burnt with acid on the face. We didn't accuse the whole Nigerian nation of some xenophobic agenda against us. Neither did we run to the ANC and ask them to organise an international campaign against Nigeria. This could have happened anywhere in the world, even in our own country. We knew that the Nigerian people and Government were good people, were supportive of our struggle and wishing us well.
My advise to the wives of foreigners is that they should be strong, train their children to be mentally strong and stand up for themselves, teach their children about our struggle and Africa as well as what caused their fathers to come and settle here. I'm also available to help them whatever way possible.
As for Nigerians, I invite you to visit and see with your own eyes what SOME immigrants, including SOME Nigerians, are doing in this country. Sober-minded, hard-working, law-abiding and God-fearing Nigerians who are here legally dislike what their countrymen are doing in this country. Why do you keep saying they hate us? We don't hate Nigerians. We hate crime and criminals belong behind bars or back home where they come from. Advise your countrymen to register themselves as political refugees, business people, experts or students. As long as our Government has your photo, fingerprints and address in South Africa and you stay away from criminal activities, you will have an enjoyable and peaceful stay in South Africa. We can even offer you a wife or husband, if you need one. Even the Zulu King, in my opinion the biggest landowner in this country, apart from Government , can even give you land where you can settle your clan or build your own city. Just do the right thing. Why do you want us to accept that your people should live here illegally, as outlaws? Are you good Nigerians or someone else?
You are mistaken, our President is not stupid. You sound like a greenhorn and stupid idiot. Even with your PhD you'll never do better than him. President Zuma, despite the lack of formal education, was born in one of the most underdeveloped villages of our countrywhich. He joined ANC at the age of 16, joined our guerrilla army at the age of 19, spent 10 years on Robben Island, recruited people and rebuilt the underground structures of his party upon his release from prison, went into exile when it became practically impossible for him to continue his underground work, he was appointed Chief of Intelligence by the late ANC President, Oliver Tambo, he also is credited for stopping the fighting between Inkatha Freedom Party and ANC members which saw thousands of Zulus being manipulated by the apartheid regime to kill each other in the 80s and before the first democratic elections. He is also the man who successfully negotiated the Burundi peace settlement which was started by President Nyerere of Tanzania. Despite all odds, he beat all of us, black and white, to the highest post in the land. Can you match any or all of that with your PhD?
The distortion and dissemination of mendacious information against our country by you and your type as well as the ease with which you accept, believe and act on it, confirms my suspicion that somewhere in the world, hopefully not in Nigeria or South Africa, there is a fifth column that is taking full advantage of your arrogance and lack of knowledge and running a dirty tricks department with a view to cause an irreparable rift between South Africa and Nigeria, thereby setting the stage for Presidents Buhari and Zuma to preside over the worst ever bilateral relations between South Africa and Nigeria, the two Sub Saharan economic powerhouses that must work together and lead Africa's struggle for sustainable development, economic freedom and true independence,

Pardon my intrusion,but I could not help than to ask if you are of the early '70s birth gap?...your approach, mannerism and receptive conduct depicts you are much elderly than the rest from that part of the world. Or Im I under a wrong assumption?.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tension Rise Between South Africans And Foreigners (Video) / Chechen Fighters Who Promised To "Finish Ukraine" Are Leaving After Heavy Losses / Gambia Children Imitate Jammeh And His Wife, Zeinab (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.