Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,466 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! (56641 Views)

15 Ways The World Has Changed In 100 Years / Koko That Ate 40 British Men As Nembe King [PICS] / Princess Adeola Ogunwusi: “How My Father Becoming Ooni Has Changed My Life” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by oyowo: 2:53pm On May 07, 2015
BlackMaria:

That picture na lie.
(Picture No. 9)True. No colored pictures then. That picture was in the 80s. I can see it clearly written grin
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by letsbet(m): 2:53pm On May 07, 2015
It feels good looking at old pictures. It just bring back some old memories of when............you were yet to be concieved kiss
wink shocked
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Mbediogu(m): 2:53pm On May 07, 2015
bishop4APC:

This is better lagos with no miscreants from the east.

No 13 pic reminds of my mother in her youth days. Choi ladies of nowdays had successfully traded their pride for money.

Your mother traded her womanhood cheaply at Abakiliki market. As college boys we had her on all four. That is why you never forgive us Igbos. To hell with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Noneroone(m): 2:54pm On May 07, 2015
Where did YOLOBAS go wrong?
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by caprini1: 2:54pm On May 07, 2015
Wow all those pictures of Nigeria in the 60s,70s and 80s,looks like Benin Republic in 2015.

1 Like

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by MockinJay(m): 2:55pm On May 07, 2015
Oh my! How come Nigeria take U-turn to hell?
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Aproxy: 2:57pm On May 07, 2015
MKO4ever:
Fulanis dey enjoy oo
Den dey enjoy both fresh cow and breast milk
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by caprini1: 2:57pm On May 07, 2015
letsbet:
It feels good looking at old pictures. It just bring back some old memories of when............you were yet to be concieved kiss
wink shocked
if you wanna feel like you are in the 60s,70,s and 80s visit cotonou in Benin Republic........its like travelling from colour TV(Nigeria) to Black n white TV(Benin Republic).

1 Like

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by realglob(m): 2:59pm On May 07, 2015
jascon1:
Chai! After viewing the first pic I gave way to tears. Our house na near that tower before babangida collect am for our hand come demolish am cry

Eyaaa
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by dROC1: 3:01pm On May 07, 2015
slinkman:
Nigeria of before is better than the Nigeria of Now... i swear

Since the white man left us the military instituted corruption and with the advent of oil production, greed set in.
From a resourceful nation with groundnut pyramids we are now known as a criminal, Boko haram, kidnapping, corrupt, 419, militant and cantankerous nation.
The discovery of oil really messed up Nigeria. The thirst for quick wealth devoured our morals. Most of the structures we have today were built decades ago. What have our leaders done with our oil money so far? Still no hope of stable power or feul in 2015....in summary, the country has been deliberately mismanaged for corrupt purposes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Etogist: 3:02pm On May 07, 2015
Really? First time to comment in this forum. Clap for me.
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Ikar: 3:02pm On May 07, 2015
Wow, very nice pictures. They reminds you about age. Found similar post today on Nigerian news today on www.naij.com: 22 Ways To Know You Grew Up In 80's. Look at the pics and if this stuff looks familiar, you were definitely born after 1970! Pics here: http://www.naij.com/432134-22-ways-to-know-you-grew-up-in-80s.html
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Sanchez01: 3:02pm On May 07, 2015
Icon4s:
9. Hair braiding in Nigeria. 1960

This is definitely not from the 60's. The picture is from the 90's; late 90's. I could remember that sign board was the in-thing then and nearly all hair braiders had that either in their small kiosk of a shop or just at the entrance like the one in your picture.
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 07, 2015
Wow @OP i cant thank you enough for sharing these exclusive pictures with us. I saved everything for my archive, going to show my kids. And also share with my parents, they would love to see those moments again.

Thanks mehn. I really appreciate , Thanks to Nairaland.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by letsbet(m): 3:04pm On May 07, 2015
caprini1:
if you wanna feel like you are in the 60s,70,s and 80s visit cotonou in Benin Republic........its like travelling from colour TV(Nigeria) to Black n white TV(Benin Republic).
wow, dats scary lol. If you visit some places in Ibadan, you will feel as if you going back in times as well, am refering to their rusty red roofs and ancient buildings here.
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by JimmyBoy1: 3:07pm On May 07, 2015
Quite nostalgic, though I wasn't yet born when most of these pictures were taken, but I could still feel the tranquility of that period
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by 3ace(m): 3:07pm On May 07, 2015
That Lugard Memorial Hall looks like our current National Assembly.
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by yellowsun: 3:08pm On May 07, 2015
Prodigysam:
eurobomber:
Fellow Nigerians, I have taken time to study recent happenings in our nation before and after the elections and I have come to conclude that there is a grand plan to start some kind of war in Nigeria. Some people thought that the last presidential election was going to be the last straw to break the camel's back but are still in shock that the presidential election has been conducted and Nigeria is still at peace even with the incumbent losing the election.
Discerning minds can see that a pattern has been set to overheat the system especially by generating so much hatred and tension between the Igbo and the Yoruba. The rate at which it is going it is looking like one week one trouble. The pattern is that there is usually a provocative comment (alleged or true) made by a prominent Yoruba and somehow this is fed to the public and when the get to know of such comments, they become overwhelmed with anger.
Just check:
Before all these started, recall that a Twitter account was identified where a young man was calling for the killing of all the Igbos. Now I believe that the picture shown on that twitter account might even be that of someone that died many years ago. That twitter account was most likely created by the wicked forces outside Nigeria that intend to spark of a bloody ethnic conflict in Nigeria.
1. The case of the Yoruba Oba of Lagos-HRH Oba Akiolu where the Igbos were threatened with death in the Lagos lagoon.
2. The case of the Yoruba cardiologist in the US where a call for genocide against the Igbo was seen on his facebook page. (He says his account was hacked)
3. Most recently the case of the Yoruba Nobel Laureate-Prof Wole Soyinka released by the Cables revealing some provocative comments about the Igbo.
I want every intelligent mind to observe this, in the case of Dr Ariyo, he said his account was hacked and I am inclined to believe that this is true. The people behind this agenda to set Nigeria on fire are most likely the same people that used his facebook account to post such hate words against the Igbo. These are the same people that opened that twitter account I mentioned earlier where a call to kill all Igbos was made.
Look at the case of Prof Wole Soyinka too, how can an organisation like the Cable release such hate speech and tagging it to this man if not that some powerful forces were behind such. It is this same group of people that want Nigerians to start killing one another that used the Cables site to release that speech. Wole Soyinka himself has denied ever making such comments.
My Igbo and Yoruba brothers, please wake up and see that there are powerful forces pulling the strings underground to cause hatred between us and the agenda is to take it to a level where it will be too much to bear and violence would be the only solution. The forces behind this ultimately want a massive show of bloodshed in Nigeria starting with the Igbo vs Yoruba. Some people initially thought that the boko haram problem up north would start a religious war in Nigeria especially when churches were been blown to pieces every week but that failed. They later on resorted to attacking Muslims in the north even in their mosques to see if that would anger the muslims enough to start a massive campaign of violence against Christians but that also failed.
Let us all be wise and open our eyes, these forces plotting to plunge Nigeria into war are likely operating outside Nigeria. The boko haram option in Northern Nigeria failed to start the needed Christian vs Muslim war and boko haram is gradually winding down activities. Let us continue to pray for this nation and keep our emotions in check so that we do not witness a sort of bloodshed in this country that would be second to none in history. These evil forces have now shifted their attention to the Southern part of Nigeria and intend to start a campaign of massive bloodshed by starting a violent Igbo vs Yoruba conflict. We are too big to start a bloody confrontation against ourselves in this country, where do we run to for refuge? The numbers in Lagos alone can overwhelm Cotonou and even Ghana/Togo with a massive influx of refugees. How much refugees can flee through Bakassi? How much refugees can flee from the North into Niger Republic & Chad? Just with the boko haram problem Niger is already complaining and sending backing Northern Nigerian refugees.
This is the only county we have and we must do all we can to protect this country and ensure progress & development.
This message is especially for all the Igbos & Yorubas whose hearts have now been darkened and filled with so much anger and hate waiting to manifest. Let us put the evil ones to shame and ensure that their dream of an Igbo-Yoruba war does not come to pass!
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

What you have written has always been my position, somebody somewhere don't want a peaceful unified Nigeria.

The last time I checked we were to disintegrate this year probably after the elections but then the rest is history!!!!!!!

Nigerians should always think outside the box
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Sanchez01: 3:08pm On May 07, 2015
TheEqualizer:
Back when the country was in stone age with only 40 nice places and just 10% literacy rate.

Colonisation is a crime against humanity.
What are you saying Most of the infrastructures we have today were put up during the colonial era. The whites really caused Nigeria to develop faster. Despite all they handed over to us, we have been struggling to maintain them. I don't support modern slavery but I strongly believe it would have done us a whole lot of service if we had been colonized a bit longer.
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by john4aguero: 3:08pm On May 07, 2015
This is not about Nigeria but Lagos.
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 07, 2015
Hmmm....No wonder they do call Nigeria giant of Africa... Look at those building structures nd the roads even with street light.... Hmmmm Corruption nd d fruit of knowledge..... God will surely bring back d good tyms lipsrsealed
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Sunshinelady(f): 3:11pm On May 07, 2015
john4aguero:
This is not about Nigeria but Legos.
. My thoughts exactly

2 Likes

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 07, 2015
Cry dey commot my eyes cry
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by okoriendubuisis: 3:12pm On May 07, 2015
Indeed, a measure of development but the nation need economic independent for rapid development
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by caprini1: 3:13pm On May 07, 2015
letsbet:
wow, dats scary lol. If you visit some places in Ibadan, you will feel as if you going back in times as well, am refering to their rusty red roofs and ancient buildings here.
I disagree bro....in Ibadan,you will see more colors,but in cotonou almost everything is grey... Sotey you will think you are color blind,until you see a bank building or hotel.

1 Like

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Sunshinelady(f): 3:15pm On May 07, 2015
OP d topic shulda been '40 old photos showing how thins hav changed in the SOUTH WESTERN states, and few Northern states in Nigeria'
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by tablu: 3:15pm On May 07, 2015

3 Likes

Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 07, 2015
Prodigysam:
eurobomber:
Fellow Nigerians, I have taken time to study recent happenings in our nation before and after the elections and I have come to conclude that there is a grand plan to start some kind of war in Nigeria. .
1. The case of the Yoruba Oba of Lagos-HRH Oba Akiolu where the Igbos were threatened with death in the Lagos lagoon.
2. The case of the Yoruba cardiologist in the US where a call for genocide against the Igbo was seen on his facebook page. (He says his account was hacked)
3. Most recently the case of the Yoruba Nobel Laureate-Prof Wole Soyinka released by the Cables revealing some provocative comments about the Igbo.
This is the only county we have and we must do all we can to protect this country and ensure progress & development.

!

I have Biafra land to run to... You can come with me...
Nigeria is not ordained... It is a pure scam from the westerners...

I smell something fishy from this thing u wrote here...

The doctor said his phone was hacked where?? And when?? Did he said so...
Besides if he didn't say so why did d Igbos in diaspora protesting??

Do you want to tell me that what akiolu said
Is no longer his mouth he used to say it? Or was he also controlled by external forces??

Pls eh the problem of Nigeria is from Nigeria itself... Stop balming outside forces...

Pls is not my fault if someone's ego is hurt here...

Allow Biafrans to secede until then there will be no peace in Nigeria...
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Bollinger(m): 3:25pm On May 07, 2015
BlackMaria:

That picture na lie.

And why is it a lie?
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Koolking(m): 3:31pm On May 07, 2015
Vintage. The lost glories of Nigeria. Wish the hand of time could be turned
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by sltn(m): 3:35pm On May 07, 2015
BlackMaria:

That picture na lie.
ehh post the real one na fool
Re: 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! by Anaskie(m): 3:36pm On May 07, 2015
How come all the pictures here are from the Western and Northern regions?

So cities like Port-Harcourt, Enugu, Calabar, Warri, Benin etc weren't in existence then?

Silly op!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In Style To Meet With Prince Charles. Photos / Emir Sanusi Drives Vintage Car To Dubar; Same As His Grand-father's In 1956 / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.