Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) (51951 Views)

Half-Unclad Women In Birnin Amina, Niger State, Can't Afford Clothes (Pics) / Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by SenatorJames(m): 9:29pm On May 06, 2015
Ishilove:

http://www.lailasblog.com/2015/05/not-quite-long-ago-pupils-went-to.html

Seriously?? According to oral history, western style clothes only came into the present day Delta state as recently as the 1930s, but even at that it is surprising that two decades after, kids went to school butt naked. In a bid for the European imperialists to sell their manufactured products, foreign textile materials and sewing machines were imported into the country, and the presence of these products made it possible for people in Delta, Ukwuaniland for example, to take up tailoring as an occupation. Before then, the Onicha-Ukwuani people were weavers of the local cloth called 'nchichi or 'ukor ogbolu,' a kind of cover cloth. This cloth is small in size, made of cotton and tied around the body. This was their mode of dressing before the influx of western style fashion which stifled the local industry.

At the risk of anachronism (judging past events using contemporary standards), I am seriously wondering why these children were not covered with nchichi before being shipped off to school. I can see one little boy at the extreme right who is the only one not in his birthday suit.

All so note that majority of the kids in the photo are male, unlike now when the opposite is the case. How times have truly changed.
Thank God for civilization in Nigeria.
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by IYANGBALI: 9:34pm On May 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

cheesy I sight you too o. No be you wan kiss that guy for front? grin tongue

I have never being to Africa before,I was born and raised in Canada
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Ishilove: 9:51pm On May 06, 2015
IYANGBALI:
Canada ko, Cotonou ni

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by VickyRotex(f): 10:35pm On May 06, 2015
IYANGBALI:

Oh you mean, you were born and raised in Calabar, okay, I understand. undecided
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Legendoscar2: 10:45pm On May 06, 2015
Poor kids. Looking like they're suffering from kwashiorkor angry
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Ihuomadinihu: 8:35am On May 07, 2015
Why is everyone shouting civilization? Not long ago,Africa civilized the world. Scholars came to Egypt and Mali to learn from englightened Africans.
I guess this is the time for Western civilization to take over the world. That does not mean your ancestors were not civilized or only became civilized after the whiteman came. Years ago,Europeans were steeped in darkness and under the whims and caprices of nature. They didn't bring clothes to Africa,igbos had their own covering and unclothedness was not a sign of undevelopment.
It's time for Western civilization to shine sha.

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by emperorzz(m): 9:19am On May 07, 2015
YEEE! DATS MY GRAND DAD AT THE FAR LEFT.
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by IYANGBALI: 10:58am On May 07, 2015
Ishilove:

Canada ko, Cotonou ni
bad belle,for say you go school I for invite you down here,but I no wan make you come dey embarasse me for here grin
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by IYANGBALI: 11:04am On May 07, 2015
VickyRotex:

Oh you mean, you were born and raised in Calabar, okay, I understand. undecided
where is Calabar?is that a state in UK?i have never being to Calabar in UK before,but I have being to Ijebu ode in UK for summer holidays
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by IYANGBALI: 11:05am On May 07, 2015
VickyRotex:

cheesy I sight you too o. No be you wan kiss that guy for front? grin tongue

God forbid bad thing. That wasn't me
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by VickyRotex(f): 11:11am On May 07, 2015
IYANGBALI:
where is Calabar?is that a state in UK?i have never being to Calabar in UK before,but I have being to Ijebu ode in UK for summer holidays

Uhmmmbanu, cheesy No be only Ijebu-Ode in the UK, you've been to Ijebu-Igbo/Ipokia in the UK too during winter.
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by VickyRotex(f): 11:13am On May 07, 2015
IYANGBALI:
God forbid bad thing. That wasn't me

That wasn't you, but you were there grin
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by johnie: 11:14am On May 07, 2015
Isn't the man arrowed in the picture Chief Obafemi Awolowo?
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by IYANGBALI: 11:22am On May 07, 2015
VickyRotex:

That wasn't you, but you were there grin
i can't be there,I have never being to Nigeria before
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by IYANGBALI: 11:26am On May 07, 2015
VickyRotex:

Uhmmmbanu, cheesy No be only Ijebu-Ode in the UK, you've been to Ijebu-Igbo/Ipokia in the UK too during winter.
bad belle,there in no ijebu Igbo nor ipokia in Uk,it's just Ijebu ode and its very close to old trafford
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by VickyRotex(f): 11:46am On May 07, 2015
IYANGBALI:
i can't be there,I have never being to Nigeria before

IYANGBALI:
bad belle,there in no ijebu Igbo nor ipokia in Uk,it's just Ijebu ode and its very close to old trafford

IYANGBALI!!! your lie fit dry ocean water... shocked

Old Trafford kor, New Stamford ni undecided
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by piagetskinner(m): 11:59am On May 07, 2015
OMG see stomach...and yet they say our politicians are pot bellied...it started long agogrincheesy

Low Turnout As Oluwo Of Iwo Marries Kano Princess / Ooni And His Wife, Silekunola Naomi Ogunwusi Welcome A Son / Oba Rilwan Akiolu's Palace On Fire