Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? (6375 Views)

Feminism: The True Colour / Think Tank: Legalise Prostitution Because ‘feminism Has Starved Men Of Sex' / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:31am On May 07, 2015
Please if you must comment, do well to go through the write up.
According to Wikipedia, Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.

Feminist movements have campaigned and continue to campaign for women's rights, including the right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave. Feminists have also worked to promote bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence.
Over the years, we've seen this movement spreading it's wings widely and has brought about some changes in the world system. Looking at it generally with an unbiased mind, has the resulting effect of this movement done more harm than good or the other way round? Majority of you will agree with me that the tenets of feminism has grossly been misconstrued. Let's look at a few things here.

The cons of feminism
1. Puts domestic responsibilities in a bad light

2. More children are being placed in day cares etc. rather than being raised by a mother.

3. Women demand equality, yet wish to use the "you don't do that to a woman." Argument.

4. Women think that they are not successful unless they are the homemaker and the money-bringer: that's impossible.

5. The idea that there are no differences between men and women is false. There are innate biological and psychological differences, but they don't make either gender superior of inferior to the other. From the onset of the movement, many radical feminists rapidly converged on the erroneous idea that if women are to be treated equally in all walks of life, it is important to demonstrate that men and women are indistinguishable beings. Hence, all sex differences short of one's Instruments were attributed to socialization.

6. Some forms of feminism have been harmful in that they have built an ideological foundation that is anti-male. Apparently, mysogyny is reprehensible and evil but misandry is virtuous and laudable. There are thousands quotes from leading feminist theorists that are extraordinarily offensive and deeply sexist. Let's not go into that.

8. In a bid to "fight for my right", many women have so misconstrued this that they now fight for equal rights with their husbands. This has resulted in the "shipwreck" of many marriages and the affected females hide their sorrow and pain under the I can and will be successful in life and business without you mantra. It may be true though but it's bullshiit!!

For the pros, they are obviously listed in my definition of feminism above

With this in mind, should feminism be encouraged or discouraged??

For me, if this movement should be encouraged, those promoting it should have a sound knowledge of what it's about and also sensitize their followers on the what feminism should be and not what we're seeing today.

What are your thoughts??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by edwife(f): 10:32am On May 07, 2015
Yawn.... undecided

As usual,let the bashings start....

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:38am On May 07, 2015
edwife:
Yawn.... undecided

As usual,let the bashings start....
Waiting. cheesy
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:45am On May 07, 2015
Are you peeps not tired of all these shitty repetition of threads? How do you all get all the strength and time to argue and argue 24/7 about something that has come to stay? Same ol back and forth arguments with pages stretching to 20. To what end? Will all the arguments stop feminism? Will arguing about this change anything or change everyone's perception about feminism? Why waste so much energy on this? Nigerian youths are in soup! FG provide jobs for all biko. All the best brains are draining everyday.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by lilmax(m): 10:48am On May 07, 2015
Feminism again, something nigerian women have no guts to do grin @op don't waste your time on hypocrites

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:53am On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:
Are you peeps not tired of all these shitty repetition of threads? How do you all get all the strength and time to argue and argue 24/7 about something that has come to stay? Same ol back and forth arguments with pages stretching to 20. To what end? Will all the arguments stop feminism? Will arguing about this change anything or change everyone's perception about feminism? Why waste so much energy on this? Nigerian youths are in soup! FG provide jobs for all biko. All the best brains are draining everyday.
Hey miss, why are you so pained? what's wrong with having an intelligent discussion with fellow nairalanders irrespective of the topic? FYI, not everyone is waiting on the government to provide jobs for them.

Nawa o. undecided

12 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Enegod(m): 10:55am On May 07, 2015
If every feminist actually believed in equality it would be great. Most think they should be equal in some things and get special treatment in others. Can't have it both ways. If a woman wants equality, she needs to take the good with the bad... undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 10:59am On May 07, 2015
It is a tool which can be used positively or negatively.

It also depends on the personality of the individual.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 11:00am On May 07, 2015
Lemme help light the fire.

Feminism is one of the various forms modern day liberalism that will lead to the death of humanity. In its bid to fight for equal rights of women it has morphed into what is basically man-hate; it blames men for every evil (real and imagined) that has befallen society while ignoring its own terrible effects and therefore seeks for the subjugation and restriction of anything that is truly masculine.

Despite the claims that feminism's objective are noble in reality it has wrought destruction and division in every social structure it has touched. Feminism is bad.

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:01am On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Hey miss, why are you so pained? what's wrong with having an intelligent discussion with fellow nairalanders irrespective of the topic? FYI, not everyone is waiting on the government to provide jobs for them.

Nawa o. undecided

You call repeated controversial threads with 20 something pages ridden with fruitless back and forth arguments INTELLIGENT? If you were so keen on this topic, why couldnt you search for this topic in the search box to see the numerous threads with the same ol arguments to no end? Whats the point? Why not create more productive threads? Peeps who are for feminism and against will clash as usual with the same insults flying up and down and then the thread will be closed. Thats intelligent to you huh?

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 11:07am On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:

Discussions like this will only stop when the fight for feminine-primacy comes to an end. You may not know it but this is a real battle. Employing covert, subtle and even in some instances overt means, the feminine movement fights to restructure society so that it's imperative is seen as the right way, the only way.

Leave people to discuss about these things, in the process they will be more informed about their society and hopefully make better decisions about the kind of society they want to build.

7 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:08am On May 07, 2015
lilmax:
Feminism again, something nigerian women have no guts to do grin @op don't waste your time on hypocrites
It's gaining grounds in Nigeria recently.
Enegod:
If every feminist actually believed in equality it would be great. Most think they should be equal in some things and get special treatment in others. Can't have it both ways. If a woman wants equality, she needs to take the good with the bad... undecided undecided
This is so true. They seek equality yet want special treatment in some areas.
bukatyne:
It is a tool which can be used positively or negatively.
It also depends on the personality of the individual.
I quite agree but let's look at what it has yielded so far. The negative effect is on the higher side.
ApexTitan:
Lemme help light the fire.
Feminism is one of the various forms modern day liberalism that will lead to the death of humanity. In its bid to fight for equal rights of women it has morphed into what is basically man-hate; it blames men for every evil (real and imagined) that has befallen society while ignoring its own terrible effects and therefore seeks for the subjugation and restriction of anything that is truly masculine.
Despite the claims that feminism's objective are noble in reality it has wrought destruction and division in every social structure it has touched. Feminism is bad.
On point!
I wouldn't say feminism is bad though. It's just been misconstrued.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:10am On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:

You call repeated controversial threads with 20 something pages ridden with fruitless back and forth arguments INTELLIGENT? If you were so keen on this topic, why couldnt you search for this topic in the search box to see the numerous threads with the same ol arguments to no end? Whats the point? Why not create more productive threads? Peeps who are for feminism and against will clash as usual with the same insults flying up and down and then the thread will be closed. Thats intelligent to you huh?
Therefore nobody should air his/her views on feminism right? I can see you're very intelligent.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:14am On May 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

Discussions like this will only stop when the fight for feminine-primacy comes to an end. You may not know it but this is a real battle. Employing covert, subtle and even in some instances overt means, the feminine movement fights to restructure society so that it's imperative is seen as the right way, the only way.

Leave people to discuss about these things, in the process they will be more informed about their society and hopefully make better decisions about the kind of society they want to build.

And you think having back and forth arguments will create a change you desperately need? Do you think you have powers to decide what over 170 million peeps (correct me if i am wrong) choose to believe in moreso that the world has now become a global village? My dear, threads like these are a complete waste of time. No matter the arguments here, peeps who are for feminism and against feminism will remain in their stance. I am sure you are not new in Nairaland to see how fruitless threads as these are.

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:17am On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Therefore nobody should air his/her views on feminism right? I can see you're very intelligent.

Arguments laced with threats are views? You must be more intelligent than i am then.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:22am On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:

Arguments laced with threats are views? You must be more intelligent than i am then.
Oh it's now an argument of who's more intelligent? Lol. Point me any threat I've made on this thread. Please let's stop derailing and focus on the subject. If you've got nothing to type, click the unfollow button.

Thanks. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:25am On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Oh it's now an argument of who's more intelligent? Lol. Point me any threat I've made on this thread. Please let's stop derailing and focus on the subject. If you've got nothing to type, click the unfollow button.

Thanks. smiley

You are obviously clueless. you dnt know that the word 'Feminism' is a forbidden word for most men in Nairaland. Like i said, Type feminism in the search box and see the arguments and insults for yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:29am On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:

You are obviously clueless. you dnt know that the word 'Feminism' is a forbidden word for most men in Nairaland. Like i said, Type feminism in the search box and see the arguments and insults for yourself.
Clueless? Okay.
Now, swerve.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:31am On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Clueless? Okay.
Now, swerve.

Oh yes, you are clueless.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 11:32am On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:

And you think having back and forth arguments will create a change you desperately need? Do you think you have powers to decide what over 170 million peeps (correct me if i am wrong) choose to believe in moreso that the world has now become a global village? My dear, threads like these are a complete waste of time. No matter the arguments here, peeps who are for feminism and against feminism will remain in their stance. I am sure you are not new in Nairaland to see how fruitless threads as these are.

For people like me the objective of such discussions is not to convert anyone, it is to inform. Threads like this sans the insults can play a small role in helping people have a better view of their social environments. It is when people have nothing to offer that they resort to insults and abuses, I can very well appreciate your concern. Once the pig heads(from any side of the debate) show up and reasonable interaction ceases I will run four forty.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:35am On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:

Oh yes, you are clueless.
Why are you trying to nudge me into insults??

By their comments, they shall be known.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:36am On May 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

For people like me the objective of such discussions is not to convert anyone, it is to inform. Threads like this sans the insults can play a small role in helping people have a better view of their social environments. It is when people have nothing to offer that they resort to insults and abuses, I can very well appreciate your concern. Once the pig heads(from any side of the debate) show up and reasonable interaction ceases I will run four forty.

Issorait. Good luck with that.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 11:39am On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Why are you trying to nudge me into insults??

By their comments, they shall be known.

Thought you were done with me. Nudge you into insults? No. You are clueless. You dnt get it. Thats why you feel so.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 12:02pm On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
I quite agree but let's look at what it has yielded so far. The negative effect is on the higher side.

Well Well

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 07, 2015
Of course, I believe in equal rights and opportunities for all humans. I just don't like extremists. Feminism shouldn't be mistaken for misandry tho. I don't like extremists and they have no good to offer than destroy.

We have a lot of feminists here in Canada, I even have some as friends. But still, I believe equal justice is kind of needed than equal rights smiley
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 3:21pm On May 07, 2015
Amefrica:
Of course, I believe in equal rights and opportunities for all humans. I just don't like extremists. Feminism shouldn't be mistaken for misandry tho. I don't like extremists and they have no good to offer than destroy.

We have a lot of feminists here in Canada, I even have some as friends. But still, I believe equal justice is kind of needed than equal right smiley

Please explain the bolded.

Thanks
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 3:46pm On May 07, 2015
Feminism while preaching "equalism" between the sexes continues to make use of double standards and discriminations all with the aim of enthroning the feminine gender as the dominant one.

All the noble talk that emanated from this movement in its early days have given way to actions that leave the male sex at a disadvantage. This is very evident in the west. There men stand to lose the most in societal structures because of the major inroads the feminine movement has made. It has successfully gotten the law to effect it's imperative - the woman is considered first and foremost, the man only an afterthought. This is evident in how divorce cases are resolved, how sexual consent is constantly redefined and all the leeways that are afforded to women. A disspassionate observer will find it hard to see any of the equality that the feminists claim they are fighting for.

Canada, the US and virtually all of western Europe now bow to Feminism. It controls the frame in which most of what these societies see as normal and acceptable. At the same time they are the hardest hit by its effects; the fragmentation of families, the promotion of fat acceptance amongst females, the emasculation of men, all these increased exponentially as a result of feminism. At the end of the day it hard to see what good feminism has offered humanity.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

Feminism while preaching "equalism" between the sexes continues to make use of double standards and discriminations all with the aim of enthroning the feminine gender as the dominant one.

All the noble talk that emanated from this movement in its early days have given way to actions that leave the male sex at a disadvantage. This is very evident in the west. There men stand to lose the most in societal structures because of the major inroads the feminine movement has made. It has successfully gotten the law to effect it's imperative - the woman is considered first and foremost, the man only an afterthought. This is evident in how divorce cases are resolved, how sexual consent is constantly redefined and all the leeways that are afforded to women. A disspassionate observer will find it hard to see any of the equality that the feminists claim they are fighting for.

Canada, the US and virtually all of western Europe now bow to Feminism. It controls the frame in which most of what these societies see as normal and acceptable. At the same time they are the hardest hit by its effects; the fragmentation of families, the promotion of fat acceptance amongst females, the emasculation of men, all these increased exponentially as a result of feminism. At the end of the day it hard to see what good feminism has offered humanity.
Simply put, it's a green snake under the green grass.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 07, 2015
Amefrica:

We have a lot of feminists here in Canada, I even have some as friends. But still, I believe equal justice is kind of needed than equal rights smiley
From what we've seen so far, you really can't be a feminist without towing the lane of extremism. It all starts with equal rights whatever and later subliminally snowballs into an anti-male ideology.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 07, 2015
bukatyne:

Thanks

Let's say we have 3 people now. One is 5ft tall, the second person is 5'5, and the last person 6'1 tall. This 3 people need to see a football match and the block obstructing them is like 6ft tall..

If all of them are given equal rights, only the tallest of them all would be able to see the match.

But equal justice means, the 5'5 guy should be given a stood of around 7inch tall, the 5ft guy should be given 1ft tall stood, while the last person doesn't need any stand. You understand?

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 5:46pm On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
From what we've seen so far, you really can't be a feminist without towing the lane of extremism. It all starts with equal rights whatever and later subliminally snowballs into an anti-male ideology.

Interesting
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 07, 2015
bukatyne:

Thanks

I think he meant treating everyone fairly irrespective of the gender rather than agitating for the equal authority and power with the male folks.

Amefrica did I speak your mind??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Porn On Husband Phone / Orphanage Home In Portharcourt, Rivers State. / How To Get Pregnant With Twins That Are Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.