Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? (6442 Views)

Feminism: The True Colour / Think Tank: Legalise Prostitution Because ‘feminism Has Starved Men Of Sex' / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
From what we've seen so far, you really can't be a feminist without towing the lane of extremism. It all starts with equal rights whatever and later subliminally snowballs into an anti-male ideology.

I guess you are right, and that's what I don't like - extremism.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 5:56pm On May 07, 2015
Amefrica:

Let's say we have 3 people now. One is 5ft tall, the second person is 5'5, and the last person 6'1 tall. This 3 people need to see a football match and the block obstructing them is like 6ft tall..

If all of them are given equal rights, only the tallest of them all would be able to see the match.

But equal justice means, the 5'5 guy should be given a stood of around 7inch tall, the 5ft guy should be given 1ft tall stood, while the last person doesn't need any stand.

You understand?

Thanks

I have seen This illustration lot of times. Lol!

Equal right doesn't say everyone is the same. The tallest guymight have myopia etc.

There is still the place and factor of human relationships. There is no right dispensing machine that says X, Y and Z are the same and gbam! Take Z.

Also This illustration also means that There must be someone deciding What is fair and What is not which already is a recipe for disaster.

I prefer a system where everyone has the right/privilege to watch the match. Let the shortest pally with the tallest to watch the match(sit on his shoulders). Tomorrow, tallie might Lose his pen and shortie bends to pick it up. Shortie might be smarter etc. I believe more in the power of teamwork and relationship building.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 5:58pm On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
I think he meant treating everyone fairly irrespective of the gender rather than agitating for the equal authority and power with the male folks.

Amefrica did I speak your mind??

Who decides What is fair?

And you are assuming men are superior to women.

See my post to amefrica

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by babygirlfl: 6:02pm On May 07, 2015
bukatyne:

Thanks

Equal right doesn't say everyone is the same. The tallest guymight have myopia etc.

There is still the place and factor of human relationships. There is no right dispensing machine that says X, Y and Z are the same and gbam! Take Z.

Also This illustration also means that There must be someone deciding What is fair and What is not which already is a recipe for disaster.

I prefer a system where everyone has the right/privilege to watch the match. Let the shortest pally with the tallest to watch the match(sit on his shoulders). Tomorrow, tallie might Lose his pen and shortie bends to pick it up. Shortie might be smarter etc. I believe more in the power of teamwork and relationship building.

Word

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 6:15pm On May 07, 2015
babygirlfl:

Word

smiley
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 6:45pm On May 07, 2015
bukatyne:

See my post to amefrica

Our sense of humanity decides what is fair.

Men and women are adept in different areas,one gender better equipped in certain areas than the other. So in relation to certain conditions it can be argued that men are "superior" to women while in others women are "superior" to men. This superiority is only contextual and lies in the very areas of the gender's differences but it cannot and should not be glossed over.

It is the feminist movement that seeks to overlook these fundamental facts instead arguing that both genders are co-equals in every facet. Its argument is that neither is "superior" but really it's actions betray even this flawed argument as it pushes for feminine primacy.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by 5minsmadness: 8:49pm On May 07, 2015
Feminism is the belief that both sexes may become equal by focusing solely on one of them.

Feminists: if only they put all that passion into their cooking.

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by cococandy(f): 9:02pm On May 07, 2015
grin

Chai.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by cococandy(f): 9:06pm On May 07, 2015
Sophyrocks:
Are you peeps not tired of all these shitty repetition of threads? How do you all get all the strength and time to argue and argue 24/7 about something that has come to stay? Same ol back and forth arguments with pages stretching to 20. To what end? Will all the arguments stop feminism? Will arguing about this change anything or change everyone's perception about feminism? Why waste so much energy on this? Nigerian youths are in soup! FG provide jobs for all biko. All the best brains are draining everyday.
grin who knows maybe the nairaland tearing of clothes by anti-feminists will make some governments reverse their women's rights laws and send back women to the kitchen, deny them voting rights, deny them education, deny them freedom to do what they please with their lives and generally maybe put them back in the position where only men decide what's good for them.

That could be the hope behind the tiresome incessant threads.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 07, 2015
bukatyne:

See my post to amefrica
Nice reply I must say.

ApexTitan:

Men and women are adept in different areas,one gender better equipped in certain areas than the other. So in relation to certain conditions it can be argued that men are "superior" to women while in others women are "superior" to men. This superiority is only contextual and lies in the very areas of the gender's differences but it cannot and should not be glossed over.
It is the feminist movement that seeks to overlook these fundamental facts instead arguing that both genders are co-equals in every facet. Its argument is that neither is "superior" but really it's actions betray even this flawed argument as it pushes for feminine primacy.
I couldn't have said it better.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 07, 2015
cococandy:
grin who knows maybe the nairaland tearing of clothes by anti-feminists will make some governments reverse their women's rights laws and send back women to the kitchen, deny them voting rights, deny them education, deny them freedom to do what they please with their lives and generally maybe put them back in the position where only men decide what's good for them.

Hehehehe. You got that right babe. Fruitless attempts i tell yah. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Ngokafor(f): 9:54pm On May 07, 2015
cococandy:

...You got that right..but leave the Liliputians here to keep fooling themselves like their opinion matter to the powers that be in Europe and America...so no need arguing endlessly with them here.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 10:06pm On May 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

Sense of humanity?

Do you really want to put your faith in that? What If that human decides otherwise

The context of superiority used in your post is more of individual or genderic differences. We can argue that an Igbo man is different from a Yoruba man (do not want to use superior to avoid fire grin) in Some areas So also a Yoruba man is different from the Igbo in Some areas.

However, We all know that when superority is used in This context, it means better than.

I will admit that There are a number of extremists aka feminazis who see everything as a war of genders.

There are also Some who 'seek equality' in stupid things; I remember a bored lady who wanted ladies to have the right to walk topless... I have never seen a guy walk about topless before. Even agberos (touts) wear uniforms or tops; another group wanted males and females to use the same urinals and went about smashing all the male ones (I hope they are behind bars).

There are some who would not support the causes above But understand equality to mean being rude and uncouth and start showing their powers left, right, center.

Some see everything a guy does or says as an affront to their equality. Even common sense issues like 'sister open your umbrella, it is raining' is met with must I listen or obey you? grin

But again, aren't There extremists in every cause

I would say We learn good human relations; it helps most of the time. Delete rudeness and loudness from your dictionary. Listen to What someone is saying before assuming. Believe you are equals in your mind... it gives a sense of calm.

A number of people are rude because they have victim mentality... This guy did This because I am a lady even If the guy is a wizard (not saying that There are no guys who naturally disregard women).

Please, sorry and thank you goes a long way too. cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 10:06pm On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Nice reply I must say

Thanks
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:16pm On May 07, 2015
bukatyne:

Thanks

I have no problem with your thoughts. But, in every system, I believe there should be a hegemon to regulate, maintain peace and stability. I don't understand why you don't agree with this point.

Human nature isn't that very best, and 'we' tend to treat others not-so-really-good. You kinda believe in 'anarchy' which most times (not everytime) leads to chaos. Without a hegemon, to maintain order can be really hard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 07, 2015
AgapeCharis:
I think he meant treating everyone fairly irrespective of the gender rather than agitating for the equal authority and power with the male folks.

Amefrica did I speak your mind??

Yea bro, kinda. Check my latest post.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by bukatyne(f): 10:19pm On May 07, 2015
Amefrica:

I have no problem with your thoughts. But, in every system, I believe there should be a hegemon to regulate, maintain peace and stability. I don't understand why you don't agree with this point.

Human nature isn't that very best, and 'we' tend to treat others not-so-really-good. You kinda believe in 'anarchy' which most times (not everytime) leads to chaos. Without a hegemon, to maintain order can be really hard.

And who/What will be the hegemon in This case?
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 07, 2015
bukatyne:

And who/What will be the hegemon in This case?

In the country, th president is the hegemon.

In the state/province, the governor/premier is the hegemon.

In the city, the mayor is the hegemon.

Among ourselves, our sense of reasoning should be. You treat people the way you'd like to be treated.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 11:40pm On May 07, 2015
An interesting angle usually brought up by proponents of feminism is captured by this comment
cococandy:

Women suffrage, female education and better remuneration in the labour market are all laudable gains but anyone observing the trend of events especially in countries where the feminine imperative is the dominant one will have noticed that the discussions have long shifted from giving women the choice to vote to them actually dictating what the rules should be at the detriment of everyone else. They and they alone have to call the shots, only issues that further their interest merit attention, anything else is to be shunned or dismissed as irrelevant, that is, if it is not deserving of ridicule or condemnation. Therefore we see in western families, as one blogger, Dalrock, asks (emphasis mine):

Under our current family system fathers are a sort of deputy parent. Just like a sheriff’s deputy serves at the pleasure of the sheriff, a father in an intact family serves at the pleasure of the mother. Our entire family court structure is designed to facilitate the removal of the father should the mother decide she no longer wants him to be part of the family unit. How important can fathers really be, when we have a massive and brutal bureaucracy devoted to helping mothers kick them out of the house?

Here in Nigeria we are not removed from the effects of this ideology. We should all recall how the international community at the prompting of the western media sprang into action and compelled the Nigerian government to take bold and serious steps in dealing with the terrorist group Boko Haram after they had kidnapped over 200 girls in Chibok last year. Protests where organised, social media was mobilised and the FG was taken to task over its lackadaisical attitude in dealing the terrorist threat. Now I have to quickly admit, I, like all well meaning Nigerians, really appreciated this move to compel the FG into action by the international community, without this pressure the FG would have most likely continued with its unserious attitude. But one has to ask, where was the public outcry when only two months earlier Boko haram had struck at the Federal Government college of Buni Yadi in Yobe state and killed 59 school boys? Killed not kidnapped. Why were there no protests or heavy media coverage to compel the government into action? Was it because of the prevailing fem-centric view that men are the disposable sex and women are the preserved and therefore more valuable sex, a view the actions of the feminist movement clearly promotes?

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Afrobasic(m): 1:20am On May 08, 2015
Amefrica:

Let's say we have 3 people now. One is 5ft tall, the second person is 5'5, and the last person 6'1 tall. This 3 people need to see a football match and the block obstructing them is like 6ft tall..

If all of them are given equal rights, only the tallest of them all would be able to see the match.

But equal justice means, the 5'5 guy should be given a stood of around 7inch tall, the 5ft guy should be given 1ft tall stood, while the last person doesn't need any stand. You understand?

In picture

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Afrobasic(m): 1:23am On May 08, 2015
5minsmadness:
Feminism is the belief that both sexes may become equal by focusing solely on one of them.

Feminists: if only they put all that passion into their cooking.

grin grin grin
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 2:48am On May 08, 2015
Afrobasic:

In picture

Merci beaucoup! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 8:03am On May 08, 2015
I think feminism in marriage means a husband cohabilitating with his wife how he would relate with a guy or any lady that's his friend.

Politically, Educationally, Socially, Economically etc equal rights has been achieved.

By the way, gender equality is feasible but individual equality can never be achieved.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 9:07am On May 08, 2015
Sophyrocks:
Are you peeps not tired of all these shitty repetition of threads? How do you all get all the strength and time to argue and argue 24/7 about something that has come to stay? Same ol back and forth arguments with pages stretching to 20. To what end? Will all the arguments stop feminism? Will arguing about this change anything or change everyone's perception about feminism? Why waste so much energy on this? Nigerian youths are in soup! FG provide jobs for all biko. All the best brains are draining everyday.

Lol, sorry baby, feminism only exists on the internet. Out there, it is a man's world. If you try too hard you ll be fighting alone and left miserable. The head of the woman is the man, so says the bible. That's how God made it. Sorry you can't change it
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 9:11am On May 08, 2015
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 9:58am On May 08, 2015
dicefrost:

Lol, sorry baby, feminism only exists on the internet. Out there, it is a man's world. If you try too hard you ll be fighting alone and left miserable. The head of the woman is the man, so says the bible. That's how God made it. Sorry you can't change it

Wow. Another clueless one. This one has no clue what goes on around him. Too bad. Its not too late to wake up.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by SAMBARRY: 10:14am On May 08, 2015
FrancisTony:
I think feminism in marriage means a husband cohabilitating with his wife how he would relate with a guy or any lady that's his friend.

Politically, Educationally, Socially, Economically etc equal rights has been achieved.

By the way, gender equality is feasible but individual equality can never be achieved.
Gbam

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 10:45am On May 08, 2015
dicefrost:

You couldn't be any more wrong than that. It is either you are joking or that you are completely oblivious to the environment you find yourself in.

Feminism in reality is the more visible and vocal embodiment of the what can be best described as the female imperative, that drive to influence the behaviour of society in a way that furthers the exclusive interests of women. This imperative has always been with society (virtually all societies) from early times and had been put in check by societal structures established by culture and tradition.

It was only during the middle of the 20th century that conditions brought about by modernisation were seized by this imperative and feminism as we know it was birthed. This is why I referred to it as one of the effects of modern liberalism on the first page. It is not only a clear and present danger, it is everywhere.
Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 10:56am On May 08, 2015
dicefrost:

She doesn't have to tell you she's a feminist before you know that.

Some ladies out there, might be clueless about/of the word "feminism" but their actions depict it.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by ApexTitan(m): 10:58am On May 08, 2015
dicefrost:

Had to quote you again. The line in bold is wrong. The man is not the head of woman, that is nonsensical and perhaps the reason why much of these types of discussions are packed with vitriol and insults on this forum. A woman is as much an independent entity as a man is. She is not owned by a man, that's slavery. It is in entering into the basic societal structure - the family that a hierarchy which is brought about by the natural differences in genders is established. It is here that the man is (or should be) the leader.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 08, 2015
Oh lord! Lemme grab my popcorn and wait for vickybee and other "feminists" to come here and spew even more venomous trash! smiley

Self-acclaimed feminists who argue for equality with men and yet expect laptops, phones, cars etc on vals day but in return give their dude a card grin .. Feminists that slap a man and then scream domestic abuse when he slaps her back. Feminists that demand men do chores because shes a "strong independent working woman" but yet still expects the man to pay the bills. Feminists that expect the man to propose and pay her bride price. Why dont you also pay his husband-price since you are equal.. tongue

Feminists stand up in your truth and begin to assume the responsibilities of men. Abi you just wanna eat ur cake and have it too!

Bottom line is dont scream equality when you cant handle what it takes to be equal with men.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good? by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 08, 2015
ApexTitan:

You couldn't be any more wrong than that. It is either you are joking or that you are completely oblivious to the environment you find yourself in.

Feminism in reality is the more visible and vocal embodiment of the what can be best described as the female imperative, that drive to influence the behaviour of society in a way that furthers the exclusive interests of women. This imperative has always been with society (virtually all societies) from early times and had been put in check by societal structures established by culture and tradition.

It was only during the middle of the 20th century that conditions brought about by modernisation were seized by this imperative and feminism as we know it was birthed. This is why I referred to it as one of the effects of modern liberalism on the first page. It is not only a clear and present danger, it is everywhere.

I
Has gender equality been achieved? Has feminist ideas been fully integrated in our society? I guess not. Granted, there is a level playing field for both gender now, but the male dominance and gender roles are still very prominent. How many women are in the National assembly compared to men? How many female professors are in Nigeria compared to the males? How many female generals do we have in the army? How many CEOs, billionaires are females? The truth still remains that gender equality is a pipe dream. Male dominance isnt something that was culturally instituted, it was engineered by nature. To fight it is to fight nature. You can't win. What women should advocate for is fair treatment. And that is what i stand for. Ascribe them honor as to weaker vessels

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help!! My Wife Vowed Never To Forgive My Mother Because Of This.. / Merry Christmas Nairalanders / My Sister's Husband Has A Secret Wife - Should I Reveal The Secret?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.