Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister (1528 Views)

Aisha And President Buhari Hug As Buhari Returns From UK (Pic) / Buhari To Appoint New NNPC GMD To Replace Kachikwu / Our Biggest Mistake Was To Appoint Fani- Kayode As Jonathan’s Campaign Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by tochukwuifeduba: 4:25pm On May 08, 2015
The Democracy of Nigeria is on the verge of destruction as Buhari body languages so far indicates a clear deviation from the tenets of Democratic principles and the rules of law. Nigeria is clearly heading towards the government of the old,by the old and for the old.this is not good for the youths does it mean we do not have young Petrochemical Engineers in Nigeria anymore?? embarassed sad

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ministerial Slot: Why I Won’t Reject Buhari’s Offer – 79yrs Old Professor by Johnnyessence: 3:00pm
Professor of Virology, Tam David-West, has said he would not reject an offer of a ministerial appointment as Minister of Petroleum from the President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari.

David-West, who was recently mentioned as the man the president-elect is interested in handling the petroleum portfolio, told Daily Sun in a telephone interview that he would not turn down anything given to him by Buhari.

“Let the appointment be made first. I will not turn down anything Buhari gives me because I know him that he can turn Nigeria around.

“So, anything that I can contribute to his Nigeria project, I will do it by the grace of God, because anything I do, God directs me. And if it is the will of God, of course, He will give me the strength. But anything that can help Buhari in his Nigeria project, I can do it by the grace of God,” David-West said.

David-West, who will be 79 on August 26, was taken up on the issue of generational shift, but responded swiftly, saying: “They should shut up. Age has nothing to do with capability. I give you a good example: the President of Tunisia is now close to 90 years old. He defeated an 80-year-old in the election. Mugabe is 91 years old. It is the capability that matters, not age.”

“Jonathan is younger than Buhari. Has he done better than Buhari? In spite of the fact that Jonathan is younger, Nigerians said Buhari can do better. Age has nothing to do with it.”

Asked what advice he has for President Goodluck Jonathan as he prepares to leave office, David-West said: “When he was in office, did he listen to me? Is it now that he will listen to me? He never took my advice, and I told him that some of the people surrounding you are sycophants and they will leave you. And now, he is regretting. I have no advice for him. He should advise himself.”

He thanked God that Nigerians voted massively for Buhari, saying Nigerians would experience change soon.

“The message I have for Nigerians is that our expectation is high because of the mess. And it is justified. My message is that Buhari is not a magician. Nigerians should not expect magic or miracle. Buhari is not a magician, he is not a miracle worker; but they should give him time. They should be patient. But I am confident that he will turn this country around. There will be far great difference within six months,” David-West declared.
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 08, 2015
Lol
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 08, 2015
Age has nothing to do with capability,Bankole,Goodluck Jonathan and James Ibori had their chance and what did they do besides looting?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by obailala(m): 4:39pm On May 08, 2015
tochukwuifeduba:
The Democracy of Nigeria is on the verge of destruction as Buhari body languages so far indicates a clear deviation from the tenets of Democratic principles and the rules of law. Nigeria is clearly heading towards the government of the old,by the old and for the old.this is not good for the youths does it mean we do not have young Petrochemical Engineers in Nigeria anymore?? embarassed sad

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ministerial Slot: Why I Won’t Reject Buhari’s Offer – 79yrs Old Professor by Johnnyessence: 3:00pm
Professor of Virology, Tam David-West, has said he would not reject an offer of a ministerial appointment as Minister of Petroleum from the President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari.

David-West, who was recently mentioned as the man the president-elect is interested in handling the petroleum portfolio, told Daily Sun in a telephone interview that he would not turn down anything given to him by Buhari.

“Let the appointment be made first. I will not turn down anything Buhari gives me because I know him that he can turn Nigeria around.

“So, anything that I can contribute to his Nigeria project, I will do it by the grace of God, because anything I do, God directs me. And if it is the will of God, of course, He will give me the strength. But anything that can help Buhari in his Nigeria project, I can do it by the grace of God,” David-West said.

David-West, who will be 79 on August 26, was taken up on the issue of generational shift, but responded swiftly, saying: “They should shut up. Age has nothing to do with capability. I give you a good example: the President of Tunisia is now close to 90 years old. He defeated an 80-year-old in the election. Mugabe is 91 years old. It is the capability that matters, not age.”

“Jonathan is younger than Buhari. Has he done better than Buhari? In spite of the fact that Jonathan is younger, Nigerians said Buhari can do better. Age has nothing to do with it.”

Asked what advice he has for President Goodluck Jonathan as he prepares to leave office, David-West said: “When he was in office, did he listen to me? Is it now that he will listen to me? He never took my advice, and I told him that some of the people surrounding you are sycophants and they will leave you. And now, he is regretting. I have no advice for him. He should advise himself.”

He thanked God that Nigerians voted massively for Buhari, saying Nigerians would experience change soon.

“The message I have for Nigerians is that our expectation is high because of the mess. And it is justified. My message is that Buhari is not a magician. Nigerians should not expect magic or miracle. Buhari is not a magician, he is not a miracle worker; but they should give him time. They should be patient. But I am confident that he will turn this country around. There will be far great difference within six months,” David-West declared.

Arrant Rubbish!

What has age got to do with anything?... The number 1 and biggest problem we have in Africa today is the diabolic greed and corruption of our leaders who don't mind if the nation roasts as long as they make their money. After all it was a very old man that transformed Singapore from a third world slum to a first world country. We need to understand that there have been only 2 categories of leaders in Nigeria from 1960 till date; the good and the bad. Age, ethnicity or religion has got absolutely nothing to do with. We have been unlucky to have too many bad people ruling us for so long and that is the reason for our backwardness. Until we collectively agree and identify this true cause of our problems, we can never move forward.

The second biggest problem we have today in Africa (Nigeria specifically) is the cluelessness of the masses (especially the youths) to properly diagnose what the problem really is. We keep misdiagnosing the problem to be the northerners or the south-westerners or the Easterners or the Niger-Deltans or the colonial masters (that left 55 years ago) etc. We also find it comfortable to blame one religion or the other or we blame the military or we blame the age of our leaders for our backwardness. Whatever the case, all we do is blame, blame and blame yet we always fail to blame the right people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by dunkem21(m): 4:44pm On May 08, 2015
No be d man wey say him go make price of fuel fall to N40/litre grin
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by princesslucy83: 4:49pm On May 08, 2015
u People have come again.
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by superstar1(m): 5:25pm On May 08, 2015
He can even appoint a centurion as a minister. We care less.

Performance is the key thing.

The Mandela of Otukoke appointed young looters like Abba Moro, Stealer Oduah and Diezani.

I.prefer a geriatrics that can perform based on his wealth of experience,knowledge, wisdom and fear of being a step away from eternity.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by Freelancer00(m): 5:50pm On May 08, 2015
All this cry babies. What has age got to do with good governance. Some topics are not supposed to see the light of day
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by raumdeuter: 5:52pm On May 08, 2015
Mandela was in his 70s when he ruled, Hilary Clinto is close to 70and has declare her intentions for US presidency

What has all the young men who ruled Nigeria in the past benefitted us?
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by asha80(m): 5:56pm On May 08, 2015
obailala:
Arrant Rubbish!

What has age got to do with anything?... The number 1 and biggest problem we have in Africa today is the diabolic greed and corruption of our leaders who don't mind if the nation roasts as long as they make their money. After all it was a very old man that transformed Singapore from a third world slum to a first world country. We need to understand that there have been only 2 categories of leaders in Nigeria from 1960 till date; the good and the bad. Age, ethnicity or religion has got absolutely nothing to do with. We have been unlucky to have too many bad people ruling us for so long and that is the reason for our backwardness. Until we collectively agree and identify this true cause of our problems, we can never move forward.

The second biggest problem we have today in Africa (Nigeria specifically) is the cluelessness of the masses (especially the youths) to properly diagnose what the problem really is. We keep misdiagnosing the problem to be the northerners or the south-westerners or the Easterners or the Niger-Deltans or the colonial masters (that left 55 years ago) etc. We also find it comfortable to blame one religion or the other or we blame the military or we blame the age of our leaders for our backwardness. Whatever the case, all we do is blame, blame and blame yet we always fail to blame the right people.
love your contributions but I think lee kwu quon of Singapore was in his 50s when he actually took over
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by realadesco(m): 7:33pm On May 08, 2015
superstar1:
He can even appoint a centurion as a minister. We care less.

Performance is the key thing.

The Mandela of Otukoke appointed young looters like Abba Moro, Stealer Oduah and Diezani.

I.prefer a geriatrics that can perform based on his wealth of experience,knowledge, wisdom and fear of being a step away from eternity.
thanks jare bro what age has to do with good governance. We don't count on age we need development
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by baralatie(m): 8:08pm On May 08, 2015
hmmmmm!
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by Johnnyessence(m): 8:32pm On May 08, 2015
age does not av to do with development in the society,what will need most is transparency in governance and accountability.
Re: Nigeria Heads Towards Gerontocracy As Buhari Set To Appoint 79yrs As Minister by babadee1(m): 8:56pm On May 08, 2015
Prof. Tam David-West is tried, tested and trusted. He is a dependable and honest personality whose age should not be the primary consideration. The Nigerian oil sector was at its zenith when he was the petroleum minister and has been in decline ever since.

(1) (Reply)

My Predictions On Buhari Administration / Confusion As Dead Students ‘write’ Exams At Okopoly / University Of Maiduguri Medical Students Offer Free Medical Services To Idps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.