Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke (16038 Views)

Ojo Maduekwe Is Dead / Nigeria At 55 : The Most Stylish First Ladies Naija Ever Had / Biafra: A Microcosm Of The Zoo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by since1914(m): 9:39pm On May 09, 2015
casalaburst:

Admitted, I blame GEJ for allowing the pressure from the governors to share the revenue from excess account get to him. But I remembered that issue was in the front bunner and the debate on whether to share was practically thrown opened to Nigerians. At the end the blackmailing governors had their way with a second- term conscious president.

My point is GEJ tenure should have been period of consolidation and not reset,If the leaders before him had done their bits.

Well, this story has more than one side to it. Initially when the Federal Government decided to save, most of the states objected, but they had a very weak case against the FG. But what further emboldened them to demand for the monies to be shared was that the FG was nibbling at the joint savings behind their backs. For instance if the ECA had about $10 billion in it this month, by next month the account balance would be reading $9.2billion , showing that the FG was depleting the account, so the states decided that the monies be shared because rather than saving, the FG was shortchanging them. Some financially-disciplined states like Katsina for instance invested it's savings with the banks and even generated additional income of over 10 billion Naira to not only fund their recurrent expenditures but even embarked on new capital projects.

Unfortunately, most of the other the states collected their own share, and instead of saving for the rainy day domestically, they stupidly decided to spend recklessly. Even if the states refused to save their own share, what stopped the FG from saving hers? While I do not entirely blame NOI for the current mess, am disappointed by the lame and already-made excuses she is daily dishing. I expected someone of her calibre and pedigree to have being more resourceful or even resigned if she felt she was being undermined in any way by those in government. As it stands now, the truth is that, her current job has cost her whatever reputation she might have built over the years.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by InMyOpinion(m): 9:59pm On May 09, 2015
[size=18pt]Nice write-up. Nigeria is indeed quite tough to live in- so tough even Ebola could not survive it here

God help us all[/size]
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 10:05pm On May 09, 2015
wachakuta:
Mhen dis guy nailed it! Kudus!!!

....you do not know Prof Pius Adesanmi. He is easily one of our brightest from Naija. So is Sonala Olumhense too, and Okey Ndibe......
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by fx45(m): 10:17pm On May 09, 2015
chookudi:
This write up may be long but it is worth reading. The source is from Facebook where the author by name Pius Adesanmi posted it. Read and share your thoughts.

OJO TO RO S’EWURO LO RO S’IREKE
By Pius Adesanmi

I’ve been think in...

Apart from running Nigeria’s dirtiest and filthiest state capital, Ochendo pays salaries by ballot and lottery.

What is not news is that Ochendo is a horrible Governor... What is news is that Umuahia is the dirtiest state capital in Nigeria I think the OP is high on some cheap grass. To set the records straight, Umuahia is arguably the cleanest and most organised state capital in Nigeria. The OP should take a trip and come back with pictures

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by ideykwum: 10:18pm On May 09, 2015
See the kind of childish abuse that you posted here? If you are still talking about fathers at this time and age? Lol! Grow up and stop being silly!!!

Lekewatt:
the book wey u and ur gene read ba, wey make 9ja neva get sense. How on earth does my write up affect ur drunk ass father? U beta mind wat u post here.

2 Likes

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 09, 2015
I've read quite a lot of comments on this thread. First off, I must say the article was really nice. Such can only be appreciated by those who appreciate rich works of literary expression.

2nd, for those saying the writer is just beefing Aunty Ngozi, biko I beg to differ. Yes it is true Nigeria's problems did not start with her or her administration, and it is also true that she is not the only one calling the shots. But this is where we keep failing ourselves as Nigerians.

People in public service positions (no matter how high) are actually our SERVANTS (I don't mean this in a derogatory sense) but they are accountable to us.
If the economy is in shambles, we hold her responsible. We ask her questions. Because she is accountable to the people of this country.
It is high time we stop thinking these people are doing us a favour by leading us. Nobody forces anybody to hold a position. It is a job they decided to do. Let them do it well or face the consequences!
When Aunty Ngozi came in, did she give us situation report? No!
During her tenure, did she give us situation report? No!
100 days to the end of tenure, still no situation reports.
So why now?
Didn't she know Nigeria was in debt before now? Why is she just telling us?
Exactly what is she feeling like by telling us that they govt has to borrow in order to pay workers salaries? A honorable woman or a loving mother? I see her as none. Because the Situation has been avoided

Maybe her odd scarf has been heating up her brain so much that she cannot think of Forecasting anymore.
If she had carefully studied the trends Four years ago, she could have detected future problems, anticipated them and worked towards making the country ready.

I will end again by saying this. No one is beefing her. Planning, Forecasting, Assessing situations and reporting honestly to shareholders are the duties of Managers.
And if she managed Nigeria's economy in these four years without doing any of these satisfactorily, then she can, will, and should be BLAMED.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by authority2006(m): 10:23pm On May 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:
Nigeria cannot cope without oil. Thats the painful truth.

Besides, I'm tired of everyone blaming Ngozi for our problems. She is not you president, governor or local government chairman. As a minister of finance, she does what the law requires of her and nothing else. Ngozi has done nothing wrong, let her be.
Correction pls, Ngozi is our president. She makes all economic decisions for GEJ. That's beyond being a finance minister.

1 Like

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by modath(f): 10:26pm On May 09, 2015
989900:

But, seriously, not being sexist or . . . how did we let 2 women occupy arguably the 2 most sensitive ministries even create a new one (coordinating or what), in a country of 170m of "I sabi pass u" homo sapiens?

Aviation nko? Before the bullet proof cars saga.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 09, 2015
demantruth2:

Look in the mirror, you'll see you are your own problem.
You just define what you are.

Don't go blaming the witches in your village ooo.

Typical, when they run out of points they start talking nonsense.
Please don't quote me again
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Lekewatt(m): 10:50pm On May 09, 2015
grin grin
ideykwum:
See the kind of childish abuse that you posted here? If you are still talking about fathers at this time and age? Lol! Grow up and stop being silly!!!

grin
ideykwum:

smh......d tin pay am ooooooo. U beta mind ur bleeping biz. Why u dey drink panadol 4 anoda man headache na? U can put dt disgusting time of urs into a more viable use......come to fink of it, why d heck do i give a f....... Bout ur bleeping as...........
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by rapmike(m): 3:36am On May 10, 2015
Sweetguy25:
Nigeria cannot cope without oil. Thats the painful truth.

Besides, I'm tired of everyone blaming Ngozi for our problems. She is not you president, governor or local government chairman. As a minister of finance, she does what the law requires of her and nothing else. Ngozi has done nothing wrong, let her be.

She has her faults too. We employed her to manage the economy, yet she was dancing around on whether we had money or not since last year. All her good work during OBJ era has been washed off by this situation and she has a hand in it.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Eggcelent(m): 6:06am On May 10, 2015
The greatest good GOD has done Nigeria is that we ain't having another 4 years of Iweala-nomics. Nigeria would have sunk without reprieve.

1 Like

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 6:09am On May 10, 2015
Well, well......

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala should take much of the blame.

After all she knows ALL about resource dependency.....yet she did change our economic policy.

Nigeria has to get off oil. Fast.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 6:20am On May 10, 2015
Kay17:

Is resource wealth the cause of underdevelopment?

No, the true cause is poor governance system. States that have good systems manage their resources better. Examples UAE, Saudi Arabia, Norway etc.

UAE, and Norway also have diversified economies. (The Saudis wish they had one too....that's why, for example...they opened a University of Science and Technology several years ago.It certainly was not for show).

UAE produces about 800,000 barrels per day more than Nigeria does....for a population of 11 million, compared to Nigeria's 170million people. Saudi and Norway are the world's no 1 and two oil producers....ie they produce far more oil than Nigeria....and BOTH of them have populations less than 12 million people.

Our oil is definetly not ENOUGH for all of us.....even for the South South. That is why we need to diversify. Resource dependency is sooo 1960's.

And don't start signing about agriculture....or even solid minerals...that is even another resource dependency.....especially as Science renders raw materials useless every day.

No...Nigeria has to develop an industrial and innovative economy. Oil is a CURSE.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by alexlee50: 7:45am On May 10, 2015
Keneking:
Great write up...

Guess its time for Seun to put up a strictly "intellectual" section on Nairaland. Criteria should include; minimum of first degree (second class upper or equivalent). others are Masters and doctorate degree respectively.

To be a member, individuals would have to apply online to intellectuals@nairaland.com and I bet you would have another class in this forum.

The issue is that the current public domain is similar to a fuel station where everyone is carrying kegs and jerrycans and queuing up waiting for an attendant to dispense the product. Transporters, mechanics, fish sellers and the likes....

Pls make your remarks...
your suggestions on strictly intellectual forum is okay but the truth is that it's not only those with first class, masters and PhD that are intelligent. Many of them are empty heads with paper qualification.I would suggest rather that if such a forum is approved by seun, the moderators should screen whatever topic that makes it to the board or front page.

1 Like

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Trypa(f): 7:54am On May 10, 2015
Please house am here to ask you guys for a favour please
VOTE TRYPA AS NEXT MISS NAIRALAND www.nairaland.com/trypa
Please am counting on you guys. Thanks
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 7:55am On May 10, 2015
alexlee50:
your suggestions on strictly intellectual forum is okay but the truth is that it's not only those with first class, masters and PhD that are intelligent. Many of them are empty heads with paper qualification.I would suggest rather that if such a forum is approved by seun, the moderators should screen whatever topic that makes it to the board or front page.

You can not be subjective by declaring that the human person has an empty head. There is no justification to make such an assertion.

I agree that moderators have the responsibility to sanitise topics in that section.

However, i would insist that there should be a minimum qualification to belong to this category. I foresee a section where better knowledge is shared and ideas commnunicated which would lead to the greater good of the society.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by daxlasaint(m): 7:58am On May 10, 2015
Nihilist:
Nigeria is buckling under the weight of it's overbloated beauracracy, that much is true....but that is NOT the reason we are in penury.

And an over-dependence on Oil is also not the reason we're so poor...even though it looks that way.

We are poor simply because the amalgamation of 1914 was a mistake of epic proportions.

By forcefully merging several previously sovereign and culturally disparate nation states into one, the British inadvertently created a never ending struggle for power and resources among the 265 ethnic groups, that has manifested in the forms of corruption we see today: Nepotism,theft and Militant ethnic jingoists.

The race to Aso rock has now become a race to plunder, with the Efik man not giving two fvcks about his countryman from Gombe, and why should he? He is Efik first, and Naija for life at football or when bragging to the Ghana man.

It is too late now to break Nigeria up into smaller more governable fragments, but what we must do at least put Nigeria on the right path is to truly federalize the Government, by devolving more powers from the centre and moving it closer to the grass roots.

We need to foster economic and infrastructural competition between states, with the Federal Government taking more of a 'Big Brother' approach.

This is not the way to fix the country, but in my opinion, it's the best way to start.

There's a warri saying ( in pidgin) that goes thus "word when e correct dem nor dey drag am" and this piece follows the dictates of that saying!
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by ifeanyi83(m): 8:14am On May 10, 2015
I remember someone once said Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was working for the world bank against the interest of Nigeria. On several occassions she lied to Nigerians. I personally will not like her to come back yo serve in any capacity in the next administration. She has done her bit. Let her go back to the world bank.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 8:20am On May 10, 2015
Nihilist:
Nigeria is buckling under the weight of it's overbloated beauracracy, that much is true....but that is NOT the reason we are in penury.

And an over-dependence on Oil is also not the reason we're so poor...even though it looks that way.

We are poor simply because the amalgamation of 1914 was a mistake of epic proportions.

By forcefully merging several previously sovereign and culturally disparate nation states into one, the British inadvertently created a never ending struggle for power and resources among the 265 ethnic groups, that has manifested in the forms of corruption we see today: Nepotism,theft and Militant ethnic jingoists.

The race to Aso rock has now become a race to plunder, with the Efik man not giving two fvcks about his countryman from Gombe, and why should he? He is Efik first, and Naija for life at football or when bragging to the Ghana man.

It is too late now to break Nigeria up into smaller more governable fragments, but what we must do at least put Nigeria on the right path is to truly federalize the Government, by devolving more powers from the centre and moving it closer to the grass roots.

We need to foster economic and infrastructural competition between states, with the Federal Government taking more of a 'Big Brother' approach.

This is not the way to fix the country, but in my opinion, it's the best way to start.

A bunkum well spewed
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by TheFilmmaker: 9:53am On May 10, 2015
Keneking:
Great write up...

Guess its time for Seun to put up a strictly "intellectual" section on Nairaland. Criteria should include; minimum of first degree (second class upper or equivalent). others are Masters and doctorate degree respectively.

To be a member, individuals would have to apply online to intellectuals@nairaland.com and I bet you would have another class in this forum.

The issue is that the current public domain is similar to a fuel station where everyone is carrying kegs and jerrycans and queuing up waiting for an attendant to dispense the product. Transporters, mechanics, fish sellers and the likes....

Pls make your remarks...

Sadly, education does not quantify intelligence. undecided

2 Likes

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 9:57am On May 10, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

Sadly, education does not quantify intelligence. undecided

Education is the suppression of the animalistic tendencies in the human person undecided

1 Like

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by 989900: 9:59am On May 10, 2015
Criteria should include; minimum of first degree (second class upper or equivalent). others are Masters and doctorate degree respectively.

Further reason why Nigeria is stuck in sh.it.

We need to learn to think outside of the box . . . paper economics can only get us this far.

Watch people like Henry Boyo rip apart economic policies of your Ivy league schooled technocrats.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by TheFilmmaker: 10:00am On May 10, 2015
Keneking:

Education is the suppression of the animalistic tendencies in the human person undecided

You want to argue? What animalistic tendencies has education suppressed in these individuals?

Abacha,
Patience Johnathan,
Idi Amin,
Adolf Hitler,
Bernie Maddoff

grin grin
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by 989900: 10:14am On May 10, 2015
bushdoc9919:

UAE, and Norway also have diversified economies. (The Saudis wish they had one too....that's why, for example...they opened a University of Science and Technology several years ago.It certainly was not for show).

UAE produces about 800,000 barrels per day more than Nigeria does....for a population of 11 million, compared to Nigeria's 170million people. Saudi and Norway are the world's no 1 and two oil producers....ie they produce far more oil than Nigeria....and BOTH of them have populations less than 12 million people.

Our oil is definetly not ENOUGH for all of us.....even for the South South. That is why we need to diversify. Resource dependency is sooo 1960's.

And don't start signing about agriculture....or even solid minerals...that is even another resource dependency.....especially as Science renders raw materials useless every day.

No...Nigeria has to develop an industrial and innovative economy. Oil is a CURSE.

Corruption and greed is the curse!

The amount of oil we have is just enough, not to make us live like the Qataris, or Emiratis, but more than enough to help us as a spring board/stepping stone if you will, to greater things.

A good example is Malaysia/Petronas; 30 million thereabout population, producing just a little above 500,000 barrels/day. They've done exceedingly well for themselves, despite a noticeable tinge of corruption in the country.

An we'r far more blessed naturally than they are. A huge Population does not necessarily have to be an Achilles heel if the managers know what they are doing (like you rightly suggested à la diversification) -- we'r not over-populated yet, could be, but not yet.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 10:23am On May 10, 2015
989900:

Corruption and greed is the curse!

The amount of oil we have is just enough, not to make us live like the Qataris, or Emiratis, but more than enough to help us as a spring board/stepping stone if you will, to greater things.

A good example is Malaysia/Petronas; 30 million thereabout population, producing just a little above 500,000 barrels/day. They've done exceedingly well for themselves, despite a noticeable tinge of corruption in the country.

An we'r far more blessed naturally than they are. A huge Population does not necessarily have to be an Achilles heel if the managers know what they are doing (like you rightly suggested à la diversification) -- we'r not over-populated yet, could be, but not yet.

Malaysia also has a diversified economy....including a rather good industrial sector. Diversification kicked off in the 1970's..(See WikiPedia for more).

So, it isn't just corruption. Nigeria needs to get off oil. Malaysia is NOT reliant on oil alone.

(BTW...PETRONAS ....Malaysia's state oil company is a global powerhouse. Can you say the same of NNPC?)

Malaysia is a good example of why Nigeria needs to get off oil.

Yes we need to get rid of corruption. But even minus corruption, we still do not have enough money to live well. That is why we need to diversify (Unless you want to tell 150million Nigerians that they are citizens of Niger and Benin and Cameroon.).

Oil is a curse.

1 Like

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by 989900: 11:25am On May 10, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Malaysia also has a diversified economy....including a rather good industrial sector. Diversification kicked off in the 1970's..(See WikiPedia for more).

So, it isn't just corruption. Nigeria needs to get off oil. Malaysia is NOT reliant on oil alone.

(BTW...PETRONAS ....Malaysia's state oil company is a global powerhouse. Can you say the same of NNPC?)

Malaysia is a good example of why Nigeria needs to get off oil.

Yes we need to get rid of corruption. But even minus corruption, we still do not have enough money to live well. That is why we need to diversify (Unless you want to tell 150million Nigerians that they are citizens of Niger and Benin and Cameroon.).

Oil is a curse.

Basically, my post agrees with yours if you probably would go over it again.

That said, corruption and greed is the curse like I stated earlier.

Is it that we do not have capable technocrats to drive the country forward in the right direction, better than your ideas, mine, and Malaysia's? No.

We do have these people, the basic problem is corruption and greed.

Diversify all you want, put these same set of people there as managers, with the same mindset and motives, and we'll still be at "square1" -- it's not rocket science. Corruption is like trying to fill up a conventional basket with water, try as you may, get a 100cm wide pipe funneled from the river Niger into it -- you'll still get the same result -- an empty basket!

Actually, to a large extent in the private sector, the economy is considerably diversified (only roughly 10% of our GDP is oil). However, with the government not providing the enabling ingredients so to speak, we do not get the desired delicacy.

Earlier on, you named a few countries with oil: Norway, Canada, UAE, Saudi, throw in Malaysia and e.t.c, they are all able to diversify and grow their economies with oil money (for them oil is not a curse).

Having oil is like having a rich father leaving you with inheritances, you can either be smart and use it wisely, or be f00lish as we are, and some few other countries like Equatorial Guinea and e.t.c. Would that mean inheritance is a curse? ATEOTD, it is what you make of it.

We have a very skewed money policy by the FG/CBN+the banks/Finance ministry that is designed to make a large chunk of the population bar a few, remain perpetually poor, regardless of the amount of money that Nigeria makes.

That is why our Naira never appreciated considerably, even when oil was $147/barrel, and our reserves were at $62b. However, immediately prices drop, it falls "yakata".

As we speak, oil prices are in the $65-$70 bracket, even the Russian Rouble with all the sanctions have made a 20-25% appreciation, how about the Naira?

And you wonder how we were able to maintain far far better exchange rates in years past even when we had less than $4b in our reserves, and oil sold for less than $10, $20, and $30.

And this is so important because, take for example a man that earns monthly N120,000 (roughly $1,000) in 2007, but earns N150,000 now ($714), is that progress? And he is a lucky man, cause some have even had their salaries slashed, some lost their jobs, while some earn the minimum wage of N18,000 ($85) -- throw in the fact that, he still has to battle with double-digit inflation with the depreciation in his meager wage!

Unless corruption and greed is tackled, our money policies fixed with the enrichment of the average Joe foremost, regardless of how much more money the country as an entity makes, it will do little in favor of the poor, but more into the purses of the rich -- that is your 'real Mc Coy'!

1 Like

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Kay17: 5:14pm On May 10, 2015
bushdoc9919:

You are missing out the connective here -- Good Governance System.

Assuming UAE and Norway had no GGS, there wouldn't have being a diversified economy. UAE was formerly an impoverished state, and with the development of her oil industry, she geared towards tourism etc. Norway on the other hand, was able to manage its resources in such a manner it did not interfere with its already diversified economy.

Oil resource --> GGS ---> Diversified economy.

Oil resource --> no GGS ---> Monoeconomy or dysfunctional economy.

Nigeria once had a diversified economy but upon the development of her oil industry, everyone got hooked.

The only substantial difference with Nigeria, Angola one hand and UAE and Norway on the other is GGS.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by mfm04622: 5:44pm On May 10, 2015
Nihilist:

India is much more bigger, much more diverse in all ramifications than Nigeria! India has over 1000 tribes with different languages. They have more religions than Nigeria. Why are they this prosperous? Look for another excuse

1 Like

Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nihilist: 6:03pm On May 10, 2015
mfm04622:

India is much more bigger, much more diverse in all ramifications than Nigeria! India has over 1000 tribes with different languages. They have more religions than Nigeria. Why are they this prosperous? Look for another excuse

India is a 3rd world country too with serious issues of corruption.
As 'prosperous' as they are, they are still recieving humanitarian aid, and more than half it's population lives in poverty
http://www.poverties.org/poverty-in-india.html

Now that we've got that out of the way, I believe that India is still ahead of Nigeria because India is

1: The site of several civilizations involved in global politics over a thousand years
2: culturally far more homogenous than Nigeria, which has incentivisized the common man to self-identify as Indian which has led to...
3: Higher levels of patriotism amongst the the population manifesting in the wave of ultra-nationalism that swept Narendra Modi in to power.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by pazienza(m): 7:33pm On May 10, 2015
989900:

Basically, my post agrees with yours if you probably would go over it again.

That said, corruption and greed is the curse like I stated earlier.

Is it that we do not have capable technocrats to drive the country forward in the right direction, better than your ideas, mine, and Malaysia's? No.

We do have these people, the basic problem is corruption and greed.

Diversify all you want, put these same set of people there as managers, with the same mindset and motives, and we'll still be at "square1" -- it's not rocket science. Corruption is like trying to fill up a conventional basket with water, try as you may, get a 100cm wide pipe funneled from the river Niger into it -- you'll still get the same result -- an empty basket!

Actually, to a large extent in the private sector, the economy is considerably diversified (only roughly 10% of our GDP is oil). However, with the government not providing the enabling ingredients so to speak, we do not get the desired delicacy.

Earlier on, you named a few countries with oil: Norway, Canada, UAE, Saudi, throw in Malaysia and e.t.c, they are all able to diversify and grow their economies with oil money (for them oil is not a curse).

Having oil is like having a rich father leaving you with inheritances, you can either be smart and use it wisely, or be f00lish as we are, and some few other countries like Equatorial Guinea and e.t.c. Would that mean inheritance is a curse? ATEOTD, it is what you make of it.

We have a very skewed money policy by the FG/CBN+the banks/Finance ministry that is designed to make a large chunk of the population bar a few, remain perpetually poor, regardless of the amount of money that Nigeria makes.

That is why our Naira never appreciated considerably, even when oil was $147/barrel, and our reserves were at $62b. However, immediately prices drop, it falls "yakata".

As we speak, oil prices are in the $65-$70 bracket, even the Russian Rouble with all the sanctions have made a 20-25% appreciation, how about the Naira?

And you wonder how we were able to maintain far far better exchange rates in years past even when we had less than $4b in our reserves, and oil sold for less than $10, $20, and $30.

And this is so important because, take for example a man that earns monthly N120,000 (roughly $1,000) in 2007, but earns N150,000 now ($714), is that progress? And he is a lucky man, cause some have even had their salaries slashed, some lost their jobs, while some earn the minimum wage of N18,000 ($85) -- throw in the fact that, he still has to battle with double-digit inflation with the depreciation in his meager wage!

Unless corruption and greed is tackled, our money policies fixed with the enrichment of the average Joe foremost, regardless of how much more money the country as an entity makes, it will do little in favor of the poor, but more into the purses of the rich -- that is your 'real Mc Coy'!

Intelligent post.
Re: A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke by Nobody: 8:14am On May 11, 2015
No Sir, you don't have to. Just say 'GEJ till 2029'
Truman155:
I didn't even bother to read it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC NEC Meeting: Governors To Stop Plot To Use State Chairmen Against Buhari / Onnoghen: If Buhari Wants War, We Are Ready – PDP Chairman Secondus / Governor Ajimobi Rescues Two Accident Victims (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.