Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson (813 Views)

Yakubu Dogara Receives John Abraham, The First Black Parliamentarian In Poland / Photos : Namadi Sambo Hands Over Aguda House To Prof. Yemi Osinbajo / Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by Ikengawo: 3:22pm On May 11, 2015
Open letter to Prof. Wole Soyinka

[img]http://europejczycy.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/181437_447028198649495_1932192344_n.jpg[/img]

Dear Prof. Wole Soyinka,

It is with deep sadness that I read your remarks made during you lecture titled ‘Predicting Nigeria, Electoral Ironies’ at the Harvard University Hutchins Centre for African & African American Research, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, where you referred to the Igbos as “greedy”.

During your lecture you were alleged to have said:

“The Igbos are probably the only group of Nigerians that you can predict with great accuracy whom they will vote for in an election, because they tend to put their votes where their stomachs take them; suffering as it were, from incurable money-mindedness, as they would stop at nothing in their quest for personal financial gain.”

Your statement is not only divisive based on ignorant stereotyping, it also is also racist, and capable of of flaring up tribal conflicts amongst Nigerians. Such a statement from a respected statesman and educated nobel laureate can cause unprecedented havoc in the very delicate unity of our nation - Nigeria. It is very alarming to hear lately of anti-Igbo rhetoric from the Yoruba elite and especially from people of your intelligence and calibre. It is very sad and disheartening.

For us Nigerians in the diasporas- we cherish our fraternity and constantly strive hard to build our brotherhood not only as Nigerians but also as Africans. I am an Igbo, an elected member of the Polish Parliament. Many Nigerians in Poland, including Yorubas turn to me for help and support when they have problems. I treat them as my brothers and I am my brother's keeper.

Your alleged statement, with all due respect, Professor Soyinka, is uninformed, infantile and stereotypical and is a heavy blow on Nigerian Unity. Every tribe or Nigerian nation has its perceived attributes- And yes, the Igbos, like the Jews, are industrious and entrepreneurial and this should be a source of national pride.

Wisdom is said to grow as we get older. It is therefore expected of you as an elderly statesman, Profesor Soyinka, that you will be a role model to the younger generation of Nigerians and indeed Africans. Many look up to you as an example to follow. It is therefore imperative that you show a good example by correcting the above mistake. And the only way you can make up for your mistake is to publicly apologize to the Igbos and to Nigerians for your unwise and tactless statement. May I also advice that you think twice before you make such blanket statements in future.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

John Abraham Godson, MP
Chair, Parliamentary Group for Africa
The Polish Parliament (Sejm)
President, The African Institute

http://leadership.ng/features/431321/open-letter-to-prof-wole-soyinka

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by xpac01(m): 3:31pm On May 11, 2015
Somebody should help me tell this polish naturalizer that this issue has already been dealt with.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 11, 2015
Make this quarrell no trend oo
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by Eshinwaju: 3:33pm On May 11, 2015
fo0lish man seeking attention......polish mp...only iboes... grin

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 11, 2015
Black Polish ko, Kiwi ni

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by abduljabbar4(m): 3:40pm On May 11, 2015
So because of this he thinks he is on the same level with Soyinka? Soyinka never said that and even if he did, is he wrong?

If you brag about 1 ibo man becoming a Polish MP what about those 8 ibo people that are waiting for their awards of ibo kwenuism in Indonesia?

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by Aybee92(m): 3:46pm On May 11, 2015
I support d motiongrin
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By First Black Polish MP John Abraham Godson by ckmayoca: 4:31pm On May 11, 2015
See ppl with shoyinka reasoning commenting and beefing the truth. Yet they complained wen zulu's were killing foreigner. They can't keep thier home but yet advices others. Funny.

(1) (Reply)

Lie Mohammed Lied, No Rift With Jonathan's Transition Committee - Ahmed Joda / President Jonathan & Pastor Oritsejafor Holds Presidential Thanksgiving In Abuja / CNN News This Morning " Nigeria Is Out Of Fuel"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.