Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,293 members, 7,829,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage (50561 Views)

Why Do Things Change After Marriage? / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / 40% Of First Borns Are Not From Their Fathers- Dna Expert Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by computerboy: 10:03pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima, I've taken out my time to go through ur posts on this thread and I've come to realise that you're so drunk in feminism that you refused to reason with your brain.
First of all, in igbo land when the fathers properties are being shared, girls are excluded because the family already know the girls will answer another man's name. Hence problem arises in most families without male children.
Secondly, how can u compare a woman changing her surname with a man changing his? For Bleep$ sake how many guys have u wooed, how many guys have u spent on, how many have u proposed to, and most importantly how many have u paid their groom price? Its the man marrying u not the other way round. You waited for him to propose and equally waited for him to come and see ur parents and wen it's time to change ur surname u now know that the two genders are equal.
thirdly, as I already know you're a feminist. The sad news is there can never be gender equality--never. stop dreaming. Even the bible made it clear in 1st corinthians chapter 11. Read the whole chapter and u might as well tear it out from ur bible. The bible said the head of man is Christ and the head of woman is man. Further in that chapter, it said that man wasn't made for woman but woman was made for man----unless you're not a Christian and doesn't believe the bible.

One thing I hate about you feminists is that wen it gets to physical issues, you'll run, financial issues, you'll run etc but wen it's about gains, that's wen you'll come out and start blabbing about gender equality.

To the topic, I can only allow that if my wife have carved out a niche with her name (eg Linda Ikeji) or had other reasonable reasons, if not I wonder why she'll keep her father's name wen her father had already counted her off. How can she say she's maintaining her dad's name wen the name will die with her and the kids bear mine forever? Her father have sons who will carry his name too so he doesn't need the girls for that.

P.S you don't have to reply this but if u must, then give me a reasonable reply and not those hateful feminist comments that makes no sense
am out
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by micktoxin(m): 10:05pm On May 12, 2015
Chiam55:

Naaaaah I can't do that.... I want a prenuptial agreement everybody keeps what they came in with cool

That's modern day slavery ( marriage) cheesy

I don't know what's more surprising, the football match I just watched or your posts shocked. Is there anything you can do in a casual or bf/gf relationship, you can't in a marriage? Perhaps, it's a slavery for those dating the stereotypical african guys, but not for those in the modern relationship settings.
Chiam55 you are even more interesting than i had thought grin.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by micktoxin(m): 10:06pm On May 12, 2015
Chiam55:

I think the children will carry their father's name not the wife.
Effectively, you prefer gf/bf thingy with no commitment.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 12, 2015
If she so much loves the name, then she can as well go back there and enjoy the name!
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by irunoko(m): 10:11pm On May 12, 2015
So you don't like the name dictator general

assignment

go and check the meaning of dictator and compare it with your character then read what you posted before getting angry cheesy
urchmanx:

You didn't need to envy her. People around do envy and respect us. Read what I said, When it comes to basic like this the is no point dragging it. She knows the tradition of marriage before she marries me. I am not acting movie in the house. She has her freedom and she does want she wants in the house, that doesn't mean she will take the place of dictating what happens in OUR home. Its a decision we both make. Like I said her mother didn't keep her name so why should she? And I will not support or subject my daughter in retaining my name. Wtf If my daughter is getting married she will answer her husband name and not my. You didn't know me and you shouldn't call me names. I said my opinion and I am not married to you.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 12, 2015
Honestly, it isn't a huge issue. Women have different reasons for keeping their father's name:
-They may have built their career with the name before getting married. (kinda like a brand name)
-If their father is influential, they may wish to benefit from the reach of his name
-If they married into another tribe, they may wish to have the advantage of being associated with the 2 tribes(this way more opportunities may be opened to them)
-The stress of the change of name process(i dont really buy this reason).

Some other reasons may exist but remember that your children will bear your surname alone and not that of her father.(it is a minor issue in marriage, true marriage is more than surname).

You cannot say that you bought the woman and so you own her and she must take only your name. Brideprice is not equal to buying a woman.(very mediocre way of thinking). The woman becomes part of the man and not his property.

People get divorced everyday even when the woman bears the man's name.

2 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 12, 2015
micktoxin:

Effectively, you prefer gf/bf thingy with no commitment.

No not at all.... i was talking husband and wife. It's not everybody's tradition to wear a ring and take husband's name. The women in my fams keep their father's name.

The man gets his children they are his "properties"

Me grin I'm my famz " property"
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by urchmanx(m): 10:22pm On May 12, 2015
irunoko:
So you don't like the name dictator general

assignment

go and check the meaning of dictator and compare it with your character then read what you posted before getting angry cheesy
First of all you can't give me assignment on that because I am better than you in that field of study. The character you referring to is that I stand by the simplest thing in culture and society. Behaviorism is dynamic, I was brought up in a good family background, my mother didn't retained her maiden name, her mother didn't. All my mentors and people I like unto didn't and my culture doesn;t allow it! Does that make me a dictator because I want things to be done the way I know and believe is right. Like I said make your point which I will also respect and didn;t call me names which you can't even define.
Hiding behind a computer or phone and calling people name is cowardliness.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by irunoko(m): 10:26pm On May 12, 2015
Okay I see grin

you're one of those African traditionalist who follow culture even when the world has moved pass certain things grin
urchmanx:

First of all you can't give me assignment on that because I am better than you in that field of study. The character you referring to is that I stand by the simplest thing in culture and society. Behaviorism is dynamic, I was brought up in a good family background, my mother didn't retained her maiden name, her mother didn't. All my mentors and people I like unto didn't and my culture doesn;t allow it! Does that make me a dictator because I want things to be done the way I know and believe is right. Like I said make your point which I will also respect and didn;t call me names which you can't even define.
Hiding behind a computer or phone and calling people name is cowardliness.

2 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by ayoku777(m): 10:27pm On May 12, 2015
baibijay:

No please. They bear the father's name Because he is their father. The woman still have her father. He husband doesn't automatically become her father.

Psalm 45v9-10 -Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir.

Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; FORGET ALSO THINE OWN PEOPLE, AND THY FATHER'S HOUSE;

According to scripture when a woman is married she is now married into the lineage of her husband, she no longer belongs to the house of her fathers. She's now Sarah the wife of Abraham, no more Sarah the daughter of Terah.

Her wife role now trumps her daughter role because she's now one flesh with her husband not her father. So she's named after the person she's a wife to, no more after the person she's a daughter to.

Isaiah 4v1 -And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

These are women who can't wait to be married and to stop being called Rachel the daughter of Laban; they long to be called Rachel the wife of Jacob.

According to the bible; to be married is to be called by the name of the person you are a wife to; no longer by the name of the person you are a daughter to.

Men who want their wives to bear their names are in line with the scriptures.

Shalom
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 10:28pm On May 12, 2015
computerboy:
MrsChima, I've taken out my time to go through ur posts on this thread and I've come to realise that you're so drunk in feminism that you refused to reason with your brain.
First of all, in igbo land when the fathers properties are being shared, girls are excluded because the family already know the girls will answer another man's name. Hence problem arises in most families without male children.
Secondly, how can u compare a woman changing her surname with a man changing his? For Bleep$ sake how many guys have u wooed, how many guys have u spent on, how many have u proposed to, and most importantly how many have u paid their groom price? Its the man marrying u not the other way round. You waited for him to propose and equally waited for him to come and see ur parents and wen it's time to change ur surname u now know that the two genders are equal.
thirdly, as I already know you're a feminist. The sad news is there can never be gender equality--never. stop dreaming. Even the bible made it clear in 1st corinthians chapter 11. Read the whole chapter and u might as well tear it out from ur bible. The bible said the head of man is Christ and the head of woman is man. Further in that chapter, it said that man wasn't made for woman but woman was made for man----unless you're not a Christian and doesn't believe the bible.

One thing I hate about you feminists is that wen it gets to physical issues, you'll run, financial issues, you'll run etc but wen it's about gains, that's wen you'll come out and start blabbing about gender equality.

To the topic, I can only allow that if my wife have carved out a niche with her name (eg Linda Ikeji) or had other
reasonable reasons, if not I wonder why she'll keep her father's name wen her father had already counted her off. How can she say she's maintaining her dad's name wen the name will die with her and the kids bear mine forever? Her father have sons who will carry his name too so he doesn't need the girls for that.

P.S you don't have to reply this but if u must, then give me a reasonable reply and not those hateful feminist comments that makes no sense
am out

What are you on about? I have said in my posts that Christ is the head of the Christian families, the man is the head of the house,and the woman is the help mate. I also said it applies in Christian families and not other religions. Why are you being redundant?

I am a feminist until the end of time and being a feminist has nothing to do with a woman's choice in
her life. All feminist aren't women and all anti- feminist are men.

Live your life and if your woman takes your surname....clap for yourself. Good riddance!

4 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 10:31pm On May 12, 2015
slimmy05:
Go and sit your butt down hypocrite and you had no other thought than to create MrsChima? Get your egoistical self outta here.

What is the Bleep are you smoking? Because I created Mrs. Chima moniker...I must not say women have a choice?

Foolishness!
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by urchmanx(m): 10:36pm On May 12, 2015
irunoko:
Okay I see grin

you're one of those African traditionalist who follow culture even when the world has moved pass certain things grin
LOL I am just laughing at your ignorance. YES I said it IGNORANCE. You think the world have moved pass certain things! You can move with it I am staying.
I am pride to be an African traditionalist and I am very much delighted to be a custodian of African culture. My old parents thought me that, I am happy that my children even in this crazy world and society still value African culture. I have nothing else to say to you. Goodnight in Nigeria.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by zemaye: 10:36pm On May 12, 2015
This has been the case since time immemorial it's not new and it's absolutely correct undecided
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

What is the Bleep are you smoking? Because I created Mrs. Chima moniker...I must not say women have a choice?

Foolishness!
I know frustrated folks like you. Keep ranting.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Beface(m): 10:40pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

I can imagine what YOUR home appears to be. Don't worry about my home and my husband is the man of the house and I am the woman of the house. We do not have any discord in our home and we highly respect each other!

Now getting back to what you appears to be confused about and that's why I like fighting with Christians who think they know the bible only to regurgitate what others think a family home should be. As I must add not every family is Christian. The bible doesn't work on those of Islam or Buddhist faith to name a few.

Genesis speaks of the parties leaving their parents home and cleaved as one...it also said that Eve was created from a rib..not toe or heel hone. She was created to be a help mate to Adam who was alone with other creations. Genesis clearly states equality between man and woman.

Now going back to Ephesian 5, which is an example of a Christian family. It doesn't apply to those who are not Christians. Chris is the head of the body, the man is the head of the family, and the woman is his help mate. The man is to submit to God and when a man submit to God, a woman submit to her husband as a reverend to Christ. The man is to love the woman as Christ loved his Church, which means that he is to have unconditional love for his wife and DIE for his wife.

Remember Christ died for those he loved so they can have grace before God.

Now Genesis states man and wife is ONE and ONE is interchangeable with each other. We can't pick and choose what is applicable when it is clear that man and woman is one=equal.
I have one question for you. ARE YOU BEARING YOUR HUSBAND'S NAME OR YOUR FATHER' NAME?
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 10:40pm On May 12, 2015
slimmy05:
I know frustrated folks like you. Keep ranting.

Yeah...I am very frustrated with dumb ass posts I have read on this thread! Manbish crushing I will continue to do!
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 10:41pm On May 12, 2015
Beface:

I have one question for you. ARE YOU BEARING YOUR HUSBAND'S NAME OR YOUR FATHER' NAME?

Both. smiley
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 12, 2015
Adufetohposh:
The guys are coming for ur head, plz be on the lookout dear cheesy

Lol say no more lipsrsealed

*Whispers: but they can't take away my name thou grin*
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 10:50pm On May 12, 2015
ayoku777:

Psalm 45v9-10 -Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir.

Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; FORGET ALSO THINE OWN PEOPLE, AND THY FATHER'S HOUSE;

According to scripture when a woman is married she is now married into the lineage of her husband, she no longer belongs to the house of her fathers. She's now Sarah the wife of Abraham, no more Sarah the daughter of Terah.

Her wife role now trumps her daughter role because she's now one flesh with her husband not her father. So she's named after the person she's a wife to, no more after the person she's a daughter to.

Isaiah 4v1 -And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

These are women who can't wait to be married and to stop being called Rachel the daughter of Laban; they long to be called Rachel the wife of Jacob.

According to the bible; to be married is to be called by the name of the person you are a wife to; no longer by the name of the person you are a daughter to.

Shalom

The bible said slavery is just..do you mind being a slave?

The bible said thou shall not commit adultery, bear false witbess, obey your parents, do not use God's name in vain; and covet they neighbor wife....do you think a person should be killed instantly if one of these are committed?

The point is people can quote scriptures all day long and only 2% of you are following the scripture like Jesus Christ. It is good to throw scriptures out that benefit you but are you following the tenet of the ENTIRE bible?

Tell the truth!

1 Like

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Beface(m): 10:51pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

Both. smiley
I thought you were even bearing your father's name to justified all what you've said.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by klarke(m): 10:52pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

I am AGAINST bride price and think it is stupid. No need to pay someone to take their hands in marriage if it wasn't an issue then so many men wouldn't be bishing about it!

Soon u'll also be against the entire teachings of the bible. Umu ajuala!
Why didn't u stop ur husband frm paying ur? SMH
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Ahmeduana(m): 10:52pm On May 12, 2015
truthalways:
I recently noticed that our newly wedded ladies are retaining their fathers name after marriage. You hear names like Bisi Johnson-Adekunle, Evangeline Ojukwu-Chukwuma or Halima Haruna-Ciroma. Guys can you allow this and ladies why are you doing this? grin
TO REMINDS THEM THAT THEY'VE NOT REACH THEIR FINAL DESTINATION, THAT THEY SHOULD REMEMBER THEIR FATHERS HOUSE WHENEVER LIFE FELL SHOT OF THEIR EXPECTATION.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 12, 2015
ayoku777:

Shalom

I know nothing about that please. Sometimes we should not only think with the scripture but our head too. Because a lady is married to another family doesn't mean she isn't born of her parent. She should bear fathers name please.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 10:56pm On May 12, 2015
Beface:

I thought you were even bearing your father's name to justified all what you've said.

I don't t have to justify shit to you and anyone else. Stay out of my marriage and focus on yours. (If you got one)

Secondly, I have said it several times and I swear some of you mofis are cerebral. I said a woman can choose to keep her father's name or take her husband's name. If she doesn't take her husband's name it is her choice! Not one time I have said women shouldn't take their husband's name. If many of you weren't so quick to be at your chest like apes...you would comprehend that!
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Ahmeduana(m): 10:57pm On May 12, 2015
Hollamydey:
B4 nko, am still d daughter of my father. Besides am married 2 my husband nd nt sold 2 him so I still have d right 2 maintain by father's name nd dat of his, ko fa ija rara.....#my opinion
NA UNA TYPE NO DEY STAY FOR ONE HUSBAND HOUSE, AFTER ALL ONE HUSBAND NO DEY FILL CUPBOARD"oko kan o kun cupboard">
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by gambudu: 10:57pm On May 12, 2015
especially when their father is rich.But children of the poor will never try such.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Laid2001: 10:59pm On May 12, 2015
Iro nla.! Arnold swazenegger's wife bears heinz throughout the marriage.

There is no justification for women changing their name to husband name at all. After all we are all equal partner in the union.

And more so, wedding or marriage is dissolvable but paternity is eternal. It is better to bear your name throughout your life if you so desire.

As for me, my wife chose to change her name even though I don't care about it. And my daughters will be allowed to choose if they want to keep their fathers name.!

yorubaboiy:

iwo na gbo nkan to jade lenu e.......awon oyinbo gan,kosi bi baba won shey fe lowo to oruko oko ni won je....bawo wa ni ti yin se je ma.....
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 11:00pm On May 12, 2015
klarke:

Soon u'll also be against the entire teachings of the bible. Umu ajuala!
Why didn't u stop ur husband frm paying ur? SMH

Bride price is a cultural thing not biblical. Get it right. Stop my husband from paying what? My husband is a grown man and I am not his mother.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Omotayor123(f): 11:01pm On May 12, 2015
So u wan give am about papa abi no be him papa name?

Planning on doing dat..... What's d big deal #
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by computerboy: 11:02pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

What are you on about? I have said in my posts that Christ is the head of the Christian families, the man is the head of the house,and the woman is the help mate. I also said it applies in Christian families and not other religions. Why are you being redundant?

I am a feminist until the end of time and being a feminist has nothing to do with a woman's choice in
her life. All feminist aren't women and all anti- feminist are men.

Live your life and if your woman takes your surname....clap for yourself. Good riddance!

you're contradicting yourself. The man is the head and the woman is the help mate and yet you're claiming a feminist, seems you don't even know the meaning of feminism
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

Yeah...I am very frustrated with dumb ass posts I have read on this thread! Manbish crushing I will continue to do!
go and handle your dead marriage you have successfully frustrated and stop dragging people down the line

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Photo Of A Pregnant Woman Begging With Her Child / Muhammad Makes List Of Top 10 Baby Names In The US For The First Time / Woman Electrocuted In Hotel Room On Her Birthday (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.