Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Violence Rocks Ekiti Community Over Obaship Tussle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Violence Rocks Ekiti Community Over Obaship Tussle (1372 Views)

Fayose Dances To The Tunes From Native Women In Ekiti Community (Photos) / Fayose Surprises Old Woman Who Accosted Him Today In Ekiti Community..photos / 10 Houses Razed, Scores Injured In Enugu Community Over Move To Join Kogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Violence Rocks Ekiti Community Over Obaship Tussle by Muza(m): 2:24am On Feb 09, 2009
Violence rocks Ekiti community over obaship tussle 9/2/2009

From Odunayo Ogunmola, Ado-Ekiti

The peace of Ijan-Ekiti in Gbonyin Local Government Area of Ekiti State was shattered at the weekend as the festering obaship crisis in the community snowballed into a violent clash.
At least five houses were burnt and some prominent individuals injured.

It was gathered that the crisis was caused by an alleged attempt by the traditional ruler of the town, the Onijan, Oba Samuel Oyewole Fadahunsi, to renovate the palace for occupation despite an alleged warning by the opposing Ogbon-Omo Ruling House.

His opponents cited the pending the court case as a reason why he should not move into the palace.

Oba Fadahunsi of the Otutubiosun Ruling House who had been residing in his personal house decided to move into the palace following his recent victory at an Ado-Ekiti High Court

The monarch was said to have stormed the palace with members of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), but his opponents insisted that the matter is not yet over as they are ready to pursue the case to the Supreme Court.

Some individuals opposed to the ascension of Oba Fadahunsi were said to have mobilised others to prevent the monarch from occupying the palace.

This led to a bloody clash between his supporters and opponents.

Among those hit by bullets during the mayhem was the Oniyare of Ijan, Chief Sesan Fabamise and the son of the immediate past Onijan, Prince Adegbite Obarinde.

All the injured are receiving treatment at various hospitals.

Weapons and charms were used in the free-for-all.

A detachment of riot policemen was deployed in the town to restore order.

Commissioner of Police, Mr. Chris Ola, declined to speak on the mayhem.

Former Governor Ayodele Fayose condemned the state government for accusing him of masterminding the Ijan mayhem.

Fayose, who was reacting to a report aired on the Broadcasting Service of Ekiti State, said he was in Ode-Ekiti, the Gbonyin Local Government Area headquarters, during the incident, wondering why he was being linked to the mayhem.

"I was at Ode-Ekiti distributing crash helmets and other poverty alleviation materials to my supporters and I never passed through Ijan while going to Ode as I went through Ikere.

"I see this latest government-sponsored propaganda as an attempt to malign my person and rubbish the good works that I have been doing of recent in all the local government areas of the state. "

An Ado-Ekiti High Court on Friday deposed the Onikoyi of Ikoyi in Ikole Local Government Area, Oba Julius Olalere Falaki.

Justice D.O. Jegede dethroned Oba Falaki in a three-and-half hour judgment on grounds that his ascension violated the state Chieftaincy Laws.

The sacked monarch hails from Ilasa in Emuyin dynasty and was enthroned in 2003 following the demise of Oba Abraham Ajibade from the Iledin ruling house

Justice Jegede held that the State Chieftaincy Laws which was hitherto in force did not recognise the Ilasa clan saying the ascension to the throne of Oba Falaki was illegal.

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=76710
Re: Violence Rocks Ekiti Community Over Obaship Tussle by bawomolo(m): 4:58am On Feb 09, 2009
kai these people and their agidi sha.

(1) (Reply)

Home News National News Assassins Kill Ebo, Pdp Chieftain In Abia / Nigeria Becomes Africa’s Biggest Mobile Telecom Market / Boko Haram - Nigerian Sect Leader 'captured'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.