Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption (20617 Views)

Buhari To Set Up Special Courts For Looters- The Punch / Jonathan Kicks As Buhari Plans $2.1b Oil Cash Probe - The NATION / Buhari Plans Military Shake-up, Angry With DSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by idu1(m): 12:51pm On May 14, 2015
Good
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by kmariko: 12:52pm On May 14, 2015
Did"t the last national conference provide for some sort of special courts for case such as corruption etc.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by Blitz888(m): 1:03pm On May 14, 2015
lawflec:
i laugh in swahili. This would be a great usurpation of power. Creation of courts is nt within d purview of his constitutional enclave. Section 6(5) and the paragraphs therein created courts nd empowered the legislators to create courts. I fear dat ths man wil soon begin a rape on d const in d guise of fighting corruption.

You sounded too enlightened for this inane and senseless post.
Like you rightly posited that it strictly lies within the purview of the National Assembly to create Courts as enshrined in the constitution... I suggest you read through again to see that the plan to create special courts is actually the idea of the committee on anti-corruption and all they needed was the president-elect's nod as alluded to by the house committee chairman.
The title of the post could be misleading but always endeavor to read between the lines.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 14, 2015
tabolaji:

Sorry!
Imprudent ( it was a mistake from my system)
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by akins56(m): 2:13pm On May 14, 2015
lawflec:
i laugh in swahili. This would be a great usurpation of power. Creation of courts is nt within d purview of his constitutional enclave. Section 6(5) and the paragraphs therein created courts nd empowered the legislators to create courts. I fear dat ths man wil soon begin a rape on d const in d guise of fighting corruption.
did you read the article at all ? Stop displaying your ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by Twistaray(m): 2:35pm On May 14, 2015
PassingShot:
Special courts to prosecute sundry tax evasion cases and official graft are to be set up by President- elect, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), it was gathered yesterday.

The courts, which will be in the Federal Capital Territory, would deal strictly with corruption and tax evasion offences by companies, individuals and government officials.

The courts are expected to lift the burden of excruciating and delayed trials of offenders by regular courts so that the next government can get fast results in its avowed war against corruption.

Chairman of the Anti- Money Laundering and Cyber Security Coalition at the National Assembly, Senator Aloysius Etok, disclosed yesterday that the coalition of senators and members of the House of Representatives had already got the nod of the President-elect to set up the courts.

Etok expressed optimism that the courts, when established, will take off the burden of such cases from the regular courts and give them accelerated hearing.

“We are confident that these courts will give accelerated hearing to tax evasion cases and other cases bothering on corruption,” he said.

Senator Etok disclosed that the National Assembly is probing about 115 tax offenders.

Besides, the lawmaker also revealed that senators in the course of investigations found that about 50 contracting firms working with the Federal Ministry of Works operate with forged tax certificates.

Among the companies that may come under the hammer of the National Assembly for tax evasion amounting to billions of Naira, according to the committee and the ICPC, are Arab Contractors, Septa Energy, Tower Aluminum, B. Stabilini and 112 others.

Etok also disclosed that the legislature was pushing for the prosecution of companies with high rate of casualised workers and fraudulent expatriate quota practices.

The lawmaker warned that with sustained evasion of taxes by companies, agencies like the Universal Basic Education Commission, UBEC, Tertiary Education Trust Fund, TETFUND, Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, would fold up, as according to him, the agencies depend on taxes for survival.

The ICPC, in a document submitted to the Senate, stated that: “In view of the Financial Intelligence analysis carried out by the commission on the plethora of petitions received on issues bothering on Tax Clearance Certificates scam, investigation led to the uncovering of tax evasion, nonpayment of Capital Gains Taxes, nonremittance of Withholding Tax and Value Added Tax, VAT.”

The commission regretted the serial breach of the procurement process with the collaboration of procurement officers.

“Procurement is an area that has long been recognised as being particularly vulnerable to corruption because public procurement through government contracting represents a substantial percentage of the economy,” the document stated.

Meanwhile, former British Prime Minister, Mr. Tony Blair, yesterday visited General Buhari and assured him of the support and cooperation of the international community.

He stated that the entire world was excited with the outcome of the March 28, 2015 presidential election in the country.

Blair explained that the global support was predicated on the belief that the President-elect and his vice are determined to do their best for the country.

According to him, Nigeria has earned the respect of the international community because of the way the elections were conducted without rancour.

In an opening speech before the duo retired into a closed-door meeting, Blair said: “In the last few weeks, Nigeria has earned respect throughout the whole world. There is enormous support for Nigeria now in the international community. The support takes into consideration the challenges that lie ahead and there is great confidence in the country.

“This is an election which took place in a way which the country showed the majority of democracies the spirit and character of its people and in the President- elect and Vice President- elect; it is a leadership that I know is determined to do its best for the country.

“Obviously, the future and destiny of Nigeria lie in the hands of its people. I just want to say to the President-elect that there is tremendous support for you and the country at this moment and all of us, in whatever way we can, stand ready to support you and help you.

“It is a moment of great challenges which bothers on the life of the people as well as their security and so on.

“If the same spirit and character that defined the election can be taken through these coming years to address the challenges, I think we can all have great confidence in the times ahead.”

Buhari who later briefed the press on the outcome of the parley said: “We had a meeting and discussed how Britain and the United States were helping us in making sure that we conducted ourselves according to our constitution.

“The fact that it (election) has been so successful is a major relief for us and to all people of conscience throughout the world.

“I thank the former British Prime Minister for his concern for Nigeria and Nigerians, in what he is prepared to do by continuing to help us as a country and as a people.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/buhari-plans-special-court-for-corruption/

This is a welcome development, I must agree.
And, ofcos there should be one for piracy, drugs and criminal offences,sec hand/fake clothes, fake motor spare parts et al grin
Cheii this gov go sweet oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by shaqhead: 3:46pm On May 14, 2015
omenka:
Hahahahaha.

Some people are feeling so depressed this man they loathe so much seems to be on the right track to leading Nigeria to success. They would rather he fails and have the country suffer so they could have a good laugh and mock him than see him succeed and them enjoy the fruits of his success.

What a useless bunch of mofos. cheesy
Seriously dia comments reeks of mischief..they wl rather ds house crumbles on us all, so they can say they "We told U" forgetin dt if it does we all suffer! May 29 2019 beckons and by then these Egyptians we see now we wl c dem no more!
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by shaqhead: 3:53pm On May 14, 2015
dearpreye:
Beautiful. Excellent. Praiseworthy.

Every sane Nigerian, irrespective of party affiliation, tribe and creed, agrees corruption and the shameful manner in which culprits are prosecuted, presents a formidable force against our progress as a nation.

I remain nonpartisan and truly committed to any effort that will reduce official corruption to the barest minimum. The impacts of corruption are obvious, negative and known to all.

We have in the past called for these special courts for corruption cases. It's heartwarming to hear the lazy NA members are supporting this.

MY FEAR: Amidst the joy that followed this development is a palpable fear. If the war against corruption isn't targeted at the PDP, but rightly spreads it's dragnet to all and sundry, my fear shall vapourise. But if it's aimed at witch hunting members of the PDP, and especially people from the SS, then it shall be another futile expedition, worthy of condemnation. We are watching!

God bless Nigeria!
FEAR: False Expectation Appearing Real

If I may ask u what is d basis of ds "fear" uve bn riddling different threads with?

U don tiff government money?

The SS/SE "leaders" u holding brief for with ds ur "fear" dont evn exhibit ds much fear!

Chill Mr, if u n ur "leaders" have clean hands....wetin una dey fear?
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by Smooyis(m): 3:55pm On May 14, 2015
Nice move. Corruption is our number one enemy in this country. Not bokoharam, not religion, not even tribalism, but CORRUPTION. Anybody or anything that can be used to fight it is highly welcomed.
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 14, 2015
shaqhead:

FEAR: False Expectation Appearing Real

If I may ask u what is d basis of ds "fear" uve bn riddling different threads with?

U don tiff government money?

The SS/SE "leaders" u holding brief for with ds ur "fear" dont evn exhibit ds much fear!

Chill Mr, if u n ur "leaders" have clean hands....wetin una dey fear?

Look beyond the words. Fear, in this context, means deep concern, and I know kw exactly why I'm concerned. If you don't understand a person's concern, you can't effectively address them.

I've never and will never support corruption in any guise. I've suffered and still suffering from its attendant negative impacts. That said, if GMB does a thorough and ssincere job, then fine. If does otherwise, fine too.

Fear. False Evidence Appearing Real.
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by shaqhead: 4:17pm On May 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Look beyond the words. Fear, in this context, means deep concern, and I know kw exactly why I'm concerned. If you don't understand a person's concern, you can't effectively address them.

I've never and will never support corruption in any guise. I've suffered and still suffering from its attendant negative impacts. That said, if GMB does a thorough and ssincere job, then fine. If does otherwise, fine too.

Fear. False Evidence Appearing Real.
Ur "Fear" sorry Ur Deep Concern is plain ubiquitous...evnthough I still maintain that it has no basis.

Y will u rather "die" before the gun is fired only to discover there wasnt a bullet in the gun.

I was bn obtuse when I used "Expectation" instead of "Evidence" because in ur case u r "Expecting" persecution lyk GEJ becos of d "Evidence" that makes ur leaders Culpable. The question why the fear or deep concern as u wnt to call it!

Wetin concern pesin wey no get cupboard n skeleton?
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 14, 2015
[quot! e author=shaqhead post=33735099]
Ur "Fear" sorry Ur Deep Concern is plain ubiquitous...evnthough I still maintain that it has no basis.

Y will u rather "die" before the gun is fired only to discover there wasnt a bullet in the gun.

I was bn obtuse when I used "Expectation" instead of "Evidence" because in ur case u r "Expecting" persecution lyk GEJ becos of d "Evidence" that makes ur leaders Culpable. The question why the fear or deep concern as u wnt to call it!

Wetin concern pesin wey no get cupboard n skeleton?[/quote]

Enjoy
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by shaqhead: 4:30pm On May 14, 2015
dearpreye:
[quot! e author=shaqhead post=33735099]

Wetin concern pesin wey no get cupboard n skeleton?

Enjoy
Sure will...do same!
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 14, 2015
shaqhead:

Sure will...do same!

Will do. After all is said and done, we all desire and demand a better nation. Shalom!
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by funlord(m): 4:55pm On May 14, 2015
So this means some billionaires are about 2 go back 2 being thousandnaires? We dey wait!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by shaqhead: 4:59pm On May 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Will do. After all is said and done, we all desire and demand a better nation. Shalom!
Yes Bro...same goal! Shalom!
Re: Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption by BecaciaBarbie(f): 4:59pm On May 14, 2015
sameer1212:
Hey dear, where have u been? kiss
Hi dear, I have busy with work.....besides I come here but just to read comments wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari And Saraki Still Not On Speaking Terms Despite Praying Together -thecable / EFCC Can’t Arrest Nigerians If Magu Remains In Office – Adegboruwa / Obi Of Onitsha Condemns Anambra Election Boycott, Insists Election Must Hold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.