Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1849 Views)

Can A Former President Run For Governor? / Fayose Blasts Obasanjo For Always Begging For Political Favours / Jonathan Approves Diezani’s Sister And 60 Others For Political Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 1:21am On May 15, 2015
can an ex-president run for political office?
For example, can goodluck or obasanjo vie for political appointments?
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by pedel: 1:27am On May 15, 2015
No, they won't dare. They won't risk loosing their loot.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by shegsrules(m): 1:30am On May 15, 2015
Senate no b bad idea
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 1:51am On May 15, 2015
It is morally and politically wrong for one to rise that high and then nosedive as if the whole witches on earth are after him.

But a former deputy governor in Benue state after leaving office contested and won councillorship position in his village. The man is late now.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 2:06am On May 15, 2015
sunnyshayne:
It is morally and politically wrong for one to rise that high and then nosedive as if the whole witches on earth are after him.

But a former deputy governor in Benue state after leaving office contested and won councillorship position in his village. The man is late now.

but its not like a criminal offense right?
its permissible under the law?
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by ramdris(m): 2:09am On May 15, 2015
They can but it morally wrong and stupid! How can one who av risen to the highest level in his country suddenly becomes a surbodinate again? Besides they must av made enough cash plus the juicy pension fund that will make dem forget politics forever.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Tolexander: 5:40am On May 15, 2015
sunnyshayne:

ramdris:
They can but it morally wrong and stupid! How can one who av risen to the highest level in his country suddenly becomes a surbodinate again? Besides they must av made enough cash plus the juicy pension fund that will make dem forget politics forever.
what makes a former President contesting an elective post morally and politically wrong and insane?

African mentality!

1 Like

Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 6:24am On May 15, 2015
Tolexander:

what makes a former President contesting an elective post morally and politically wrong and insane?

African mentality!

Dear white man, kindly argue objectively. Support your stand with reasons.

3 Likes

Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 6:28am On May 15, 2015
icebeatz:

but its not like a criminal offense right?
its permissible under the law?

It's not criminal and I don't think it's permissible under the law but it's totally unwise and politically absurd to stoop so low after rising to be the number 1 citizen. What on earth does one want to prove?
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by size40: 7:14am On May 15, 2015
All these write ups and thinking is to see how GEJ can still remain useful politically after his defeat on march 28 election. But GEJ is dead and and gone politically. he can't be back to occupy any sensitive political position again. At best, Nigeria can ask him to go and be Book Haram - FG negotiator
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Tolexander: 12:30pm On May 15, 2015
sunnyshayne:

something you could have done to justify your claim, instead of the baseless post.

Politically wrong, how?
Will the party refuse to give them the form to contest cos it is against the rule of the party or wrong under the constitution of the nation?

Morally wrong, why?
It is a sin or not right?

Let me give you the examples of US Presidents that ran for an elective post after leaving office;

John Quincy Adams, the 6th President came back to seek an elective post to become a member of the lower house. became a member for 17years.

Andrew Johnson, Abraham Lincoln successor and 17th President still went back to the senate after escaping conviction though impeached.

John Tyler, 10th President, was a provisional member of the Confederate Congress and was eventually elected as a Confederate senate member.

Back your claim up if it isn't an African Mentality

2 Likes

Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 15, 2015
Tolexander:
something you could have done to justify your claim, instead of the baseless post.

Politically wrong, how?
Will the party refuse to give them the form to contest cos it is against the rule of the party or wrong under the constitution of the nation?

Morally wrong, why?
It is a sin or not right!

Let me give you the examples of US Presidents that ran for an elective post after leaving office;

John Quincy Adams, the 6th President came back to seek an elective post to become a member of the lower house. became a member for 17years.

Andrew Johnson, Abraham Lincoln successor and 17th President still went back to the senate after escaping conviction though impeached.

John Tyler, 10th President, was a provisional member of the Confederate Congress and was eventually elected as a Confederate senate member.

You are making sense but you must allow rage to becloud your reasoning.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 15, 2015
icebeatz:
can an ex-president run for political office?
For example, can goodluck or obasanjo vie for political appointments?
oObasanjo cannot vie for President because his has served the maximum term as President for any single individual as stated in the constitution.

Jonathan is eligible to run for President but for a single term.

Both men are eligible for political appointment and other elective positions. But what kind of appointment can you offer an exPresident?
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by BRAV0O(m): 2:04pm On May 15, 2015
Hmmm high way road to return general momodu Gej back to power come 2019 grin nd grin if nigeria ever allow that shocked then I will join the trekking trend in fact if it ever happen shocked from where to where I will trek to still doing press up in sambisa undecided
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by modhream: 3:34pm On May 15, 2015
sunnyshayne:

Actually,you're the one not being objective.John Quincy Adams served many years in the US congress after being president,as did ex-president Johnson in the US senate.Nothing wrong or demeaning about being of service to your people,it's a democracy,not a monarchy
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Meiji(m): 3:42pm On May 15, 2015
Tolexander:

Politically wrong, how?

Morally wrong, why?
It is a sin or not right?

Even William Howard Taft became a Supreme Court Justice too (I know it doesn't qualify strictly as a "political appointment", but still...)
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 15, 2015
modhream:

Actually,you're the one not being objective.John Quincy Adam served many years in the US congress after being president,as did ex-president Johnson in the US senate.

In what year did Quincy took this decision, can it be done again in this 21st century? There have been several constitutional developments since these times.

Importantly, I think the OP is restricting his question to Nigeria where such has never happened before. I think it's totally absurd to often use the America to answer Nigerian questions, we cannot be compared or equalled in anyway.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by jumobi1(m): 3:53pm On May 15, 2015
Nigerian mentality. The ideal need for one vying for presidency is to create positive change. The need for change doesn't cease once one is done serving as a president. If you feel there is more you can contribute by running then run for some other office. It's up to the people to vote you in. Serving isn't about pride or accumulating wealth. It's about human development. It's actually immoral to feel too big to run for any other position. It shows your original intent was personal and helping your people was secondary. Of course you can also use your acquired influence to implement change without running for office.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 15, 2015
Hmmmm..... a friendnof mine who is a studying to be a lwayer told me its illegal in the nigerian constituirion
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Tolexander: 7:24pm On May 15, 2015
icebeatz:
Hmmmm..... a friendnof mine who is a studying to be a lwayer told me its illegal in the nigerian constituirion
a friend studying law is not yet a Lawyer. Even some professional Lawyers do err when it comes to legality of an issue.

Don't let anybody bamboozle you!
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Eshinwaju: 7:28pm On May 15, 2015
Let eboes make Janagoat .....the president of the new Biafra..... cheesy
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Tolexander: 7:59pm On May 19, 2015
Meiji:

Even William Howard Taft became a Supreme Court Justice too (I know it doesn't qualify strictly as a "political appointment", but still...)
ya, I didn't include him cos it isn't an elective post.

thanks bro.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by MRSANITY(m): 9:50am On May 20, 2015
There is nothing that forbids the ex president from seeking other political positions, but what else could an ex president be looking for after occupying the number 1 political position in the country, it will be utterly ridiculous.
Re: Can An Ex-president Run For Political Office?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by MRSANITY(m): 9:52am On May 20, 2015
icebeatz:
tell him to tell you the part of the constitution which illegalizes it.

(1) (Reply)

Just Before We Lose Our Heads... / Drop A Word Of Advice To President Muhammadu Buhari / President Buhari’s Solid Team By Segun Adeniyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.