Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,132 members, 7,856,521 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 09:33 PM

Things That Should Not Still Be Happening In Nigeria But Still Do - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Things That Should Not Still Be Happening In Nigeria But Still Do (713 Views)

What Is Happening In The Capital City Of Abuja? / President Buhari Has Failed Nigeria, But PDP Needs Restructuring / Something Strange Is Happening In The Southwest - Azuka Onwuka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things That Should Not Still Be Happening In Nigeria But Still Do by cronsberg: 11:19am On May 16, 2015
This thread is about things that shouldn't still be happening in nigeria, but are still happening even increasing in number

1. Highway robbery : Since i was a kid, i used to hear stories from our elders about how they were attacked by armed robbers while travelling by road. It was so rampant throughout nigeria that soldiers were deployed on the highways to checkmate it. This is a thing that you would expect to be history now in this 21st century where people should have the freedom to travel anywhere and at anytime, but sadly, highway robbery is still a daily occurance in nigeria. I had a close encounter recently when i passed on a highway that was just robbed few minutes before, and the huge logs and stones they used in blocking the road was still there.

2. Power outage: Again since i was a kid, we grew up with epileptic power supply. You had to time everything to when nepa will bring light. From ironing cloths, to watching t.v, to playing games, nepa held everyone to ransom. Sadly, it is still the same old crap of epileptic power supply with half of everyday spent in blackout. And the near future doesn't look that bright either

3. Corruption: Also since i was a kid, i knew corruption existed. You couldn't come by a checkpoint without giving a bribe as if you were a criminal. Your parents had to give something to get a job for your elder brothers, you had to know someone to get into the security agencies, news of official stealing was as rampant then as it is now e.t.c This is an evil that should have been eliminated long ago, but we are still witness to the Abdurasheed mainas, Farouk lawals, Alameiseyas e.t.c

4. Urban decay: Since i was born, the nigerian environment has always been dirty, filthy with open sewers, refuse dumps everywhere, street defecation e.t.c what has changed? absolutely nothing.

these things are a shame. We were born into these experiences, we grew up with it, will our children be born and grow up with it too?

2 Likes

Re: Things That Should Not Still Be Happening In Nigeria But Still Do by Qmab: 11:47am On May 16, 2015
Somehow, I believe that I will tell the story of how Nigeria changed for better to my kids and grandkids.

(1) (Reply)

/ General Buhari To Pardon The 12 Convicted Soldiers... / Please, Send Suswam To Kirikiri Prison – Benue Citizens Tell Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.