Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:06 AM

Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong (3375 Views)

Top 10 Things Hollywood Been Lying To You About? / Some Top 10 Hollywood Horror Movies Cliché© / The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by losprince(m): 2:03am On May 17, 2015
whats everybody's favorite movie entertainment industry? Hollywood right? do you know that there are certain things that Hollywood rarely get right. but everybody applauds them for their attention to details.

when you ask a Nigerian what they are learning from Hollywood movies--I personally hate this silly question, asked by Nollywood fanatics.-- you would get
answer like:

* you can learn a lot of things that happen in the real world... but that's not the case. You see Hollywood is mostly make believe, and while they are trying to show you what you would love to see, some of the things they show can never happen in the real world.(Note: I'm not referring to fantasy or science fiction.)

bellow are somethings that Hollywood does wrong that gives the wrong impression on their audience.

THE QUICK DEATH

have you ever watched a Hollywood movie where a gunshot or a knife stab can end a dudes life instantly? I bet you've even lost counts on how many times you saw that. The hero shows up, takes precise shots at a bunch of people and they all die on the spot. A psycho stabs someone with a knife, the victim clutches the spot, and then they are dead.

the problem is no one dies instantly under such circumstances. Heart attacks, strokes, extremely abnormal heart rhythms can all cause instant deaths but gunshot wounds and knife stabs aren't advanced enough to end someone so quickly as we see in Hollywood movies. For a faster death to occur, the bullet would have to severely damage the brain stem, the heart, or the neck portion of the spinal cord. A shot at any other part of the body will result to loads of pain, but only bleeding can cause death, and that takes a while.

PRETTY DEAD BODIES

The deceased looks calm and peaceful, as if they were already made up and about to go hang out but decided to take a nap. You will notice that dead people are on make up, looking fresh and dazzling. In reality dead people are ugly (if not wugly). No matter what they looked like while alive, in death everyone is pale, waxy and gray. Their faces are swollen and they look dead, not relaxed and peaceful.
Most importantly, they smell bad. you see the actors discover a body that's been dead for days and they all act cool, taking in fresh breaths and having normal conversations. Never in reality can this happen.

THE DEAD MAN IS STILL BLEEDING

A detective arrives at a murder scene about half hour after the death and still sees blood flowing around. The corpse still spilling blood from its mouth and gunshot wound. But you see, blood clots within minutes of leaving the body and, dead people don't bleed. when you die you heart stops pumping blood and circulation stops. When blood stops moving, it clots, and clotted blood doesn't move, gush, ooze, or trickle from the body.
A bleeding body suggests that the person is still alive, but in many Hollywood movies, they are carried away and deposited in morgues for autopsy.

TIME OF DEATH

An above the limit IQ doctor examines the body and confidently announces: "Time of death is 11:22 pm?" and they don't tell us how they made that determination. Was is body temperature, or lividity? or perhaps the absence of certain bugs? In reality none of these forms of evidence can reveal the exact time of death, not even the combination of all. They can only produce an estimate, not a pinpoint.
e.g "Death likely occurred between 8 p.m. and midnight." but that obviously makes the Hero appear insignificant, and Hollywood likes its heroes to be smart, perhaps smarter than they can possibly be.

ONE-PUNCH KNOCKOUT SYSTEM

The hero jams his fist into the henchman's jaw. The unfortunate henchman goes down and we never hear from him again. But the hero, like most people, require a few solid blows to go down.
Think of a boxing match. Boxers are trained to knack the daylight out of opponents, but it still takes them time to accomplish that. Rambo may be able to render someone unconscious with a single blow, but real people (except, maybe Mike Tyson) can't, so a fisherman turned detective shouldn't.

BLACK EYE! WHAT BLACK EYE

The ravishing actress takes a jab in the face from the bad guy. In the next scene, she masks her black eye with a pair of sunglasses, but in the following scene, there she is again, back to ravishing as if nothing happened.
A black eye is caused by blood leaking from tiny blood vessels that are injured by the blow. The body takes about two weeks to clear that out of the tissues. When you get a black eye, it stays dark for about two days, fades during the next four or five days, and turns greenish, brownish, and a silky yellow before disappearing. But in movies, a character can fall down the stair and chase down the bad guy or make love the next day. In the real world, you need a few days to heal. A broken arm needs four weeks minimum to heal, but because a movie is only two hours long, characters must heal rapidly.

POISON THAT STRIKES LIKE THUNDER

The victim takes an arsenic-laced drink, within seconds, a concerned, then frightened look comes across their face, they clutch their throat, and falls dead. Very touchy. But then, very unlikely, but it still is a Hollywood trademark.
Acute arsenic poisoning doesn't kill that quickly. In fact, it may take several days. The victim does not develop throat pain, but they vomit and release bloody excretes. Not appealing for the screen, so its better to simply clutch the throat and collapse.

GUNS BEING ABLE TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE

The actors approach a locked door, aim their gun, fire, and they gain free entrance. Metals used for locks are stronger than that of a bullet. Another wrong gun scenario is when a gunshot at a cars fuel tank blows up the car, this is so not happening in real life. Only fire can inflame fuel not to talk of blowing it up.

SUDDENLY EVERYONE CAN RUN A MARATHON

The hero chases the bad guy across the street, jumps over hurdles, climb ladders and fences, no sweating or heavy breathing. Many a time the hero is usually a cop or private investigator who drinks a lot, eats only doughnut for meal. He never hits the gym. When you are out of shape, adrenaline only takes you so far - a block or two. Same goes for the bad guy.

PRETTY EVERYBODY

You always see pretty detectives and investigators, meanwhile these people are usually pretty for the brains they poses and not their faces.

excerpt from: forensics for dummies - by D.P.Lyle, MD

over to you Nairalanders, what have you noticed in Hollywood movies that are just absurd.

Ishilove
Iceberylin
Twaci
Ollyfad

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by OKNkanu(m): 2:16am On May 17, 2015
Hmm.... I now know why Tom Cruise never dies!. cheesy
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Ruq: 3:02am On May 17, 2015
Hollywood is truly getting boring, most of the movies I watch this days are cliched undecided

One of the most cliched plot in their movies is when a bad guy in a movie has been potrayed to be someone who can't hurt a fly and in the end they disclose to us the bad mofo he his.

And that of senseless explosions, while I went to watch Transformers 4, I was so bored all through the movie, the guy sittin next to me felt like punching me when I said boring ish. I can't blame him though he's still a kid who needs to see a lot of explosions for the movie to be interesting, annoying thing again was that everyone was watching the boring two hour movie and laughing at jokes that can't even crack a nut ad when I laughed nobody laughed. A lot of us here just take in whatever garbage they sholve to us. If only Holly would stop being predictable.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by LarrySun(m): 3:12am On May 17, 2015
That's exactly why they're called movies. There are some things you're expected to accept just for the plots to move on.

Above all, Hollywood still remains the grandfather on Nollywood.

But I want to ask a question; are Asian movies (kung-fus particularly) under the umbrella of Hollywood, too?
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by LarrySun(m): 3:15am On May 17, 2015
OKNkanu:
Hmm.... I now know why Tom Cruise never dies!. cheesy
But Tom Cruise died in Collateral. undecided
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by losprince(m): 3:30am On May 17, 2015
LarrySun:
That's exactly why they're called movies. There are some things you're expected to accept just for the plots to move on.

Above all, Hollywood still remains the grandfather on Nollywood.

But I want to ask a question; are Asian movies (kung-fus particularly) under the umbrella of Hollywood, too?
kung fus? They are on their own dimension totally.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by losprince(m): 3:32am On May 17, 2015
Ruq:
Hollywood is truly getting boring, most of the movies I watch this days are cliched undecided

One of the most cliched plot in their movies is when a bad guy in a movie has been potrayed to be someone who can't hurt a fly and in the end they disclose to us the bad mofo he his.

And that of senseless explosions, while I went to watch Transformers 4, I was so bored all through the movie, the guy sittin next to me felt like punching me when I said boring ish. I can't blame him though he's still a kid who needs to see a lot of explosions for the movie to be interesting, annoying thing again was that everyone was watching the boring two hour movie and laughing at jokes that can't even crack a nut ad when I laughed nobody laughed. A lot of us here just take in whatever garbage they sholve to us. If only Holly would stop being predictable.
there are people who cant give a hollywood movie below 5 stars rating. Because of the craps nollywood serves us, anything hollywood does is now DA BOMB!
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Nobody: 5:24am On May 17, 2015
buying. land
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by redgem(f): 5:56am On May 17, 2015
I don't watch much of Action movies, I watch sci-fi and romance believe me, I gain a lot from them
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by seankafor(m): 6:30am On May 17, 2015
am a die hard fan of hollywood movie. All the allegations u made above some are false. When u talk about rambo not dying by ablow, before the movie u will understand that its either rambo is a superhuman in that movie or he has undergone hardship training unlike his enemies in the movie. I rep hollywood till thy kingdom come. Unlike our mediocre nollywood whch cant lease ordinary fighte jets, clean and well armed cops, beautiful scenarios other than the village. Infact phuk nollywood

1 Like

Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by losprince(m): 7:45am On May 17, 2015
seankafor:
am a die hard fan of hollywood movie. All the allegations u made above some are false. When u talk about rambo not dying by ablow, before the movie u will understand that its either rambo is a superhuman in that movie or he has undergone hardship training unlike his enemies in the movie. I rep hollywood till thy kingdom come. Unlike our mediocre nollywood whch cant lease ordinary fighte jets, clean and well armed cops, beautiful scenarios other than the village. Infact phuk nollywood
bro. I am not trying to condemn Hollywood. I'm just stating that people should not think what they see in Hollywood movies are applicable in reality. I love Hollywood, to most people they make these mistakes for good entertainment reasons but when nollywood does the same, it's pure ignorance.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Ruq: 9:00am On May 17, 2015
losprince:
there are people who cant give a hollywood movie below 5 stars rating. Because of the craps nollywood serves us, anything hollywood does is now DA BOMB!

I have two account on different movie sites, IMDb and Metacritic, when you get to read some reviews, you'll see some people also understand the whole hype about their movies, some annoy you so much because their just plotless. recently most of my ratings has been between 1-4 on a scale of 10.
The annoying thing is when I try talk with other people I get the awkward reply that "the movie is so interesting" and I'm left wondering what did I miss, their movies are getting too predictable, and sometimes they try attempt some plot twist that even worsen the whole story.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by losprince(m): 10:11am On May 17, 2015
Ruq:

I have two account on different movie sites, IMDb and Metacritic, when you get to read some reviews, you'll see some people also understand the whole hype about their movies, some annoy you so much because their just plotless. recently most of my ratings has been between 1-4 on a scale of 10.
The annoying thing is when I try talk with other people I get the awkward reply that "the movie is so interesting" and I'm left wondering what did I miss, their movies are getting too predictable, and sometimes they try attempt some plot twist that even worsen the whole story.
dude first of all you are a weirdo for you profile.

And then to the matter, you cant really blame the Hollywood fanatics. They've got so used to nonsense to point that when an upgraded nonsense gets thrown at them it seems so fantastic.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by nancysjpr: 10:44am On May 17, 2015
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Kk4(m): 8:32am On May 18, 2015
Ruq:

I can relate dear.
I hardly watch movies now... Books are more interesting
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by yinxfun(m): 2:35pm On May 18, 2015
Ruq:

The fact they seem boring to you doesn't make them so.You cant compare Nollywood to Hollywood in anyway..even Bollywood get enough sense pass this our yeye Nollywood..
All the points you listed are totally false and somehow amateuristic..Remember its not a real life stuff,thats why its called entertainment.

1 Like

Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by dapotanye(m): 2:53pm On May 18, 2015
op, i guess you have mistaken hollywood for real life, its not? what you see is a picture they are trying to paint. For example you talked about a single knockout blow, what they telling you is that the person can give a single knockout blow simple.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by losprince(m): 3:54pm On May 18, 2015
dapotanye:
op, i guess you have mistaken hollywood for real life, its not? what you see is a picture they are trying to paint. For example you talked about a single knockout blow, what they telling you is that the person can give a single knockout blow simple.
my point exactly, hollywood aint real. Some Nigerians think that what they see in Hollywood are applicable in reality. Simple.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Ruq: 6:04pm On May 18, 2015
yinxfun:
The fact they seem boring to you doesn't make them so.You cant compare Nollywood to Hollywood in anyway..even Bollywood get enough sense pass this our yeye Nollywood..
All the points you listed are totally false and somehow amateuristic..Remember its not a real life stuff,thats why its called entertainment.

So it's entertaining to you to watch, what you can most time predict how a movie ends because it's always same stupid plot they follow. Even their big budget movies the likes of Transformers,Iron man, Spiderman, hunger games, this movies were boring as hell and predictable, I guess you're the regular audience, which anything will thrill. As for me very few of the movies they produce have that hold on me to want to continue, I mean every movie is meant to keep you hung on it because you anticipate what will happen next and not predict what will happen, this is happens especially in the action flicks which have a lot of audience. That's why I brought up the silly explosions, because they know when you see a lot of'em you get to think wow this movie is mad.
I thought Transformer 3 was bad until I saw Age of extinction, same thing for F5 until I saw F6.

I don't even watch Nollywood cuz it's worse, Even the hyped ones I mean look at how plotless the overhyped Half of a yellow sun was made I regret wasting minutes to watch that. When I watched Ije(A journey something) I felt like shooting the director or whoever wrote that story, same thing for Mr and Mrs, but some people still feel they make sense. I think Bollywood still tries a lot in giving meaningful plot but of recent they are going western also, and sometimes they just end up remaking a hollywood hit and add little twists.

All I am saying is their movies just don't seem impressing anymore, I mean as a kid when two I see two people fight, cars blowing up, people dieing for no reason, that's enough entertainment for me, overtime you'd want all this to have meaning, look real (as in properly acted because some actors just put you off through the way they act it's either they are over acting or not making it real enough) and see reasons why it happened.

I don't know if you've watched the sequel to 300, that movie was so annoying I rated 1 out of ten and that's because there's no zero.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Ruq: 6:13pm On May 18, 2015
losprince:
my point exactly, hollywood aint real. Some Nigerians think that what they see in Hollywood are applicable in reality. Simple.

I don't agree, most people know it's fiction, at least 19 above should be able to tell. Everyone outgrows taking movies as real. For the younger audience maybe but adults, although some adults sound unbelievable when they talk. I mean who would believe the mutant movies. the thing is we know it's fiction, but sometimes they go overboard in depicting fiction because no matter how fictional they paint a movie we still want some sense of reality in them. Take X men for an example even or other mutant movies, we know it's fiction and they try to reasonable explain how some feats are possible through science, Same thing with Fantastic four, for the sake of the movie we have to agree to the make believe. Now look at how stupid they made Lucy the girl with CPH4 in her system, that movie lead me on and failed woefully even if it's fiction.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by LarrySun(m): 7:11pm On May 18, 2015
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Ruq: 7:16pm On May 18, 2015
LarrySun:
#Justmyopinion# *Please don't quote me, I plan to clear this correction later.*
This is funny.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by LarrySun(m): 7:17pm On May 18, 2015
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by yinxfun(m): 8:26pm On May 18, 2015
Ruq:

So it's entertaining to you to watch, what you can most time predict how a movie ends because it's always same stupid plot they follow. Even their big budget movies the likes of Transformers,Iron man, Spiderman, hunger games, this movies were boring as hell and predictable, I guess you're the regular audience, which anything will thrill. As for me very few of the movies they produce have that hold on me to want to continue, I mean every movie is meant to keep you hung on it because you anticipate what will happen next and not predict what will happen, this is happens especially in the action flicks which have a lot of audience. That's why I brought up the silly explosions, because they know when you see a lot of'em you get to think wow this movie is mad.
I thought Transformer 3 was bad until I saw Age of extinction, same thing for F5 until I saw F6.

I don't even watch Nollywood cuz it's worse, Even the hyped ones I mean look at how plotless the overhyped Half of a yellow sun was made I regret wasting minutes to watch that. When I watched Ije(A journey something) I felt like shooting the director or whoever wrote that story, same thing for Mr and Mrs, but some people still feel they make sense. I think Bollywood still tries a lot in giving meaningful plot but of recent they are going western also, and sometimes they just end up remaking a hollywood hit and add little twists.

All I am saying is their movies just don't seem impressing anymore, I mean as a kid when two I see two people fight, cars blowing up, people dieing for no reason, that's enough entertainment for me, overtime you'd want all this to have meaning, look real (as in properly acted because some actors just put you off through the way they act it's either they are over acting or not making it real enough) and see reasons why it happened.

I don't know if you've watched the sequel to 300, that movie was so annoying I rated 1 out of ten and that's because there's no zero.
Are you for real shocked..why i go read all this nonsense undecided
Na ontop this matter you dry write this thesis so undecided
Since you can predict all their moves,which makes it boring blablabla.......

Iya Rafa..stop watching Hollywood movies and stick to the ones that has all the recipee you are in dire need of...perhaps you can goto another planet if are so disgusted about hollywood...i wonder what your type go talk abt nollywood and bollywood
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by LarrySun(m): 9:10pm On May 18, 2015
Ruq:

Wow! You're awesome! We need people like you in the Literature Section. You'll be popular in no time; you'd make a great critic! Can you come over? Please? embarassed
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by losprince(m): 9:42pm On May 18, 2015
LarrySun:
Wow! You're awesome! We need people like you in the Literature Section. You'll be popular in no time; you'd make a great critic! Can you come over? Please? embarassed
I support the motion, Ruq pls come and spend the week at literature section... pls...
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Ruq: 7:45pm On May 19, 2015
Losprince, LarrySun ,
I feel honoured smiley Yeah I could visit, but I have to watch from the sidelines first. Because people don't just get when you point out the flaws in a work art. They think I'm just hating.

Yinxfun if you read well you'll notice I said most, not all the movies.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by dubylhover(m): 9:07am On May 20, 2015
Ruq:
Losprince, LarrySun ,
I feel honoured smiley Yeah I could visit, but I have to watch from the sidelines first. Because people don't just get when you point out the flaws in a work art. They think I'm just hating.

i have observed ur comments abt sum movies,pls cud yu gimme example of movies that are good by ur standard?at least lemme understand ur own perspective
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by kelechiMarie(f): 6:05pm On Jun 03, 2015
Ruq:
Losprince, LarrySun ,

what about the car chasing scenes and road shoot-outs. Or the part where a guy walks into a building,kills everyone and brings it to the ground and still walks free. Like that happens on a normal day.
I nuh dey watch action film again jare
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by Karleb(m): 7:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
dubylhover:

i have observed ur comments abt sum movies,pls cud yu gimme example of movies that are good by ur standard?at least lemme understand ur own perspective

Seconded!

@Ruq, I'd love to know the movies you can rate 5.0 and above.
Re: Ten Things Hollywood Does Wrong by dubylhover(m): 8:34am On Jun 04, 2015
Karleb:

Seconded!

@Ruq, I'd love to know the movies you can rate 5.0 and above.

abi oo..let us knw d standards

(1) (2) (Reply)

Easy Steps On How To Download Your Favorite Korean Drama/movies / Does Anyone Remember Tv Adverts In The Times Of The 'former' Nigeria? / Sitanda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.