Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,439 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

How Religious Organisations Can Contribute To Nigeria's Economy. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Religious Organisations Can Contribute To Nigeria's Economy. (1251 Views)

Gbagada Residents Contribute To Fix Their Dilapidated Roads (Photo) / I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG / Ize-Iyamu Replies Oshiomhole:How Much Did Dangote Contribute To Your Campaign? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Religious Organisations Can Contribute To Nigeria's Economy. by akoaki(m): 9:02am On May 18, 2015
From strictly economic and development perspective, i think we should review the way nigeria has positioned churches and other religious organisations in this country towards making them more physically productive and useful to the society in which they operate.
In writing this short piece , i have put asside all prejudices and have interrogated the issue from a purely patriotic angle.
As it stands today, churches, mosques and others are exempted from taxes because they are regarded as charities. However, many of these organisations are engaged in commercal activies there are embedded in their open operations. Churches, especially the Megas are involved in education, printing, bakeries, etc and these outfits are doing well because there are more than enough resources, human and financial, to efficiently manage them.
For these mega churches and others to be more physically useful as a responsible corporate entities in the country, i am thinking that they should be made to invest in some or all of the following areas of economic activities:

1. Establishment of micro credit schemes.

Because unemployment is rife in the country , it will do us a lot of good if mega churches can organise their members into easily identified groups and make 'business loans' to them with 2% to 5 % maximum annual interest to them. Such goans shoudh not be tied to collateral but guaranteed within the groups established. Such loans should range from N100,000 to N500,000 per loanee and be repayable in a maximum of 2 years.

2. Setting up of Farm Settlements.

In nigeria, land is a large resource. These organisations can set up farm settlements for mechanised arable farming of food crops and agro processing, poultry, piggery, fishery and so on. In the same manner, the members of these churches can be employed and paid good salaries.

3. Provision of Low Cost Housing.

This is also a possibility and would go a long way in relieving the stress put on nigeria by the quest for land and the attendant problems. It will also help reduce the huge housing deficit in the country.

I will stop here for now. If you have other suggestions, please add.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help With A Soft Copy Of Laws Of The Federation Of Nigeria(2000) / Cabinet: Buhari Keeps APC Leaders Guessing- Daily Trust / The Low Hanging Fruit: The Key To Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.