Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. (27044 Views)

Meizu MX4 Pro With 5.5-inch Screen / My Review of The Phantom 5 / Unboxing And Review Of The Meizu Mx4 By Ymodulus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tallesty1(m): 3:32pm On May 18, 2015
I have been using this phone for over a week so I decided to drop a review of it.

Introduction

Meizu is a creation company that has its root in the music industry.
Mx4 Pro is a high profile phone from Meizu; a sibling to the last year's mx4.

Key Specs

Soc: Exynos 5430
Processor: 8-core, 2000 MHz, ARM cortex-A15 & ARM cortex-A7
Graphics processor: ARM Mali-T628
System memory: 3072 MB RAM
Built-in storage: 32GB
Battery Capacity: 3350 mAh
Bluetooth: 4.0
Wi-Fi: 802.11 a, b, g, n, n 5GHz, ac
USB: USB 2.0
Connector: microUSB
Features: Mass storage device, USB charging OTG (I haven't tried it.
Other: NFC, Tethering, Computer sync, OTA sync

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tallesty1(m): 3:33pm On May 18, 2015
Design

Meizu really got it right design-wise. Although its dimensions are a bit large in paper (H) 150.1 x (W) 77.0 x (D) 9.0 mm but the ergonomics of the device is incredible. The round edges and corners of the device gives it excellent grip in hand. It is like a feather in hand and that makes you forget that the device actually has a thickness of 9mm and weighs 153g. The slim side-bezels provides good screen to body ratio, honestly this phone has the smallest side bezels I've seen on a device.

On the top front sits the earpice, the front cam and all the necessary sensors.

Meizu's traditional home button is located on the bottom front. There is no capacitive button as meizu mx4 pro makes us of a mechanical home button with integrated fingerprint sensor.
The home button can be used to turn the device on by tapping it, or turn it off by holding it for 1.5s.

This home button serves a dual function in that it's also a capacitive button that you can tap on without pressing down on the button.

Additionally the fingerprint scanner can also function as a capacitive key that can be assigned a variety of functions.

There is also an on-screen back key that can be turned on or off.

The right side of the mx4 pro is free of any button, the power button is located on the top alongside the 3.5m headphone jack .

The volume button is on the left side and at the bottom of the device sits the traditional usd 2.0 port and the speaker.

On the back side sits a Sony IMX220 20.7MP sensor. The front sports an OmniVision OV5693 sensor 5MP for selfies.

The screen is 5.46" JDI "NEGA" negative LCD unit with a resolution of 2560x1536.

The back cover is removable but the battery is not. It use micro sim.

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tallesty1(m): 3:33pm On May 18, 2015
OS

This unit shipped with Flyme 4.1.1.1U(Chinese Unicom version) based on android 4.4.4 kitkat out of the box but I have since upgraded it to flyme 4.2.8.2A(Universal Version) based on android 4.4.4 kitkat.
The first thing you will notice when you turn on this phone is the launcher and its lack of an application drawer. The launcher carries all installed applications on the home screens.

The stock launcher also offers a minimalist clean look that is actually quite refreshing, and has a certain unique look. There is no multi-task button and also no task switcher screen in the traditional sense. Instead, switching tasks is done by swiping up from the bottom bezel of the phone. A little context view with up to four application icons in order of most recently used applications shows up. Clicking on an application icon switches you to it. Swiping right and left takes you to overflow rows of more applications in case you have had more than four open. Swiping up from an icon closes the program, and swiping up from the background will close all currently open applications.

A swipe down from the top of the screen bring the notification shade that employs an attractive black look with a frosted glass translucent effect that is rendered live via Gaussian blur on the GPU.

Mx4 Pro also has a Samsung-esque multi-window support but the number of applications available to use this is limited. I have tried video and calculator.

The security on the phone is top-notch. When installing an application you can choose to grant, revoke, or let it prompt for the various permissions that an app requests. Flyme OS allows for disabling of application launches at boot, network traffic revoking when on mobile data, and full notification management.

Misbehaving apps and games with advertisement notifications can be silenced.

The gallery and file manager applications are also able to make use of a private "Vault" where you can move files that are then protected from access unless you scan your fingerprint or enter a backup password.

There is another catch, If you register the device with Meizu's account services there is one option that allows for rooting under the personal settings of the phone.(one click root)

The power saving option is amazing. The super mode can give you 3hrs with just 4% of the battery by disabling all the smart functions of the phone.
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tallesty1(m): 3:34pm On May 18, 2015
Display

The Meizu MX4 Pro comes with a 5.5-inch IPS LCD display with a 1536х2560-pixel resolution (Quad HD+). It is left out in Meizu’s 15:9 aspect ratio.
It has 546ppi that more than enough for even the most eagle-eyed viewers. The panel is also protected by Gorilla Glass 3.

Brightness can be cranked up really high. The MX4 Pro is definitely one that is fairly easy to use outdoors, even under direct sunlight. The auto brightness is accurate. The viewing-angle is top-notch too and it consumes less battery
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tallesty1(m): 3:35pm On May 18, 2015
Performance And Battery Life

Mx4 Pro uses a Samsung designed and manufactured Exynos 5430 SoC that has 4x A7 little cores coming in at a higher 1.5GHz along with 4x Cortex A15 clocked at 2.0GHz. On the GPU side we have a Mali T628MP6 at 600MHz. For RAM, we find 3GB of LPDDR3-1650 to enable memory management and multi-tasking capabilities.

The device comes in either 16GB or 32GB variants(This one is 32GB variant), with no option for expandable storage as there is a lack of microSD slot.

There were no issues in terms of performance, I have been using for over one week now and I haven't experienced any lag. device flies through the all elements of the Flyme OS. Multitasking is also a breeze, despite the more minimalistic interface of the Recent Apps screen, switching between applications was quick and easy.

In 'performance' mode the MX4 Pro certainly delivers on the benchmarking front, scoring an average of 3339 on the Geekbench 3 multi-core test.

The audio chip in the phone is outstanding. It features an OPA1612 operation amplifier to maximise dyanamic range with utralow distortion and a high slew rate. Linked to that is an ESS 9018 DAC. When put together you get what meizu calls RETINA SOUND. It is quite compelling. Not only does it get loud, but the sound stage is robust, bringing richness and body to mids and lows, something where a lot of other speakers just aren’t up to the task. With a Hi-Fi enhancement option available in the settings, the same great audio experience is available when a pair of headphones is plugged in.

In Battery Department Mx4 packs a hefty 3350mAh capacity battery and with light to moderate usage on the default 'balanced' power mode I was able to get over a days worth of battery life with 5hrs on-screen time. It packs a NEGA negative LCD display, which aims to reduce battery consumption. This really works because I recorded a good battery life using the phone despite the fact that it packs 5.5 inch screen
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tallesty1(m): 3:35pm On May 18, 2015
Camera

Meizu's stock camera app, like the rest of the MX4 Pro's software, has a very clean and minimal look. The contextual softkeys come in handy once again, offering easy access to the flash, front camera, filters and camera settings.

The back shooter comes with a 20.7MP Sony IMX220 camera sensor together with a F/2.2 aperture, ISP 5-piece lens main camera. The sensor is a 1/2.3" format with 1.2µm sized pixels.

There is no OIS or special AF functionality in the module, which makes this a more simplistic camera to examine.

It supports 4K video recording at 30fps. The camera produces a 32.6Mbps H.264 High Profile 5.1 video stream together with stereo 96Kbps AAC audio in an MP4 format. The image quality produced is quite good

It features nine shooting modes, including full auto, manual, macro, slow motion and night. These are easily accessible by swiping in either direction at the top of the screen while in portrait mode.

Pictures taken with the back shooter in well-lit environments look sharp and well exposed, with a natural-looking saturation level.

I recommend auto mode shooting during the day as there is just a little noise in the pictures and shooting latency is good. I have not used it to shoot at night.

MX4 Pro outperforms every other competing device that I have tried in detail and quality.

Mr Pro has 5MP snapper on the front side which is quite impressive. Selfies are clear, mainly due to the inclusion of auto focus and 1080p video recording is another welcome addition. There are other extra for ladies. The likes of beauty mode etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tallesty1(m): 4:07pm On May 18, 2015
PROS.

Quad HD display
Outstanding performance with Exynos 5 Octa.
Great and reliable fingerprint reader
Surprisingly good sound and speaker quality
Camera provides a number of good modes, and above average quality.

CONS

Meizu took a peep from Iphone design-wise. It looks like a product of Samsung and Apple's one night standgrin but it out-shines many other smartphone in its category
No expandable storage
Battery not replaceable

CONCLUSION

The Meizu MX4 Pro is an interesting device that doesn't disappoint in all angle. It doesn't get boring using it as
FlymeOS keeps surprising you with polished and distinguished and amazing features.
The interface is clean and the design language is attractive.
In terms of phone hardware, the MX4 Pro really to shine. The semi-metal build is extremely solid and gives an excellent premium feel to it. MX4 Pro's 5.46" JDI panel is a double-edged sword that delivers excellent maximum brightness and amazing low-light night reading modes at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by parrotibaba(m): 5:25pm On May 18, 2015
price?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Blackchampion(m): 9:54pm On May 18, 2015
This OP sef eeeh! Only u wan full 1st page abi?

25 Likes

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by spongeisback: 9:54pm On May 18, 2015
This one way phone name be like 4WD...is it a Chi..

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Tufunky: 9:54pm On May 18, 2015
Op why you de show me. U wan dash me. How mush dem dey pay you for your marketing. Leave me make I dey manage my tosh lite fone abeg.

3 Likes

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by lilmax(m): 9:55pm On May 18, 2015
The name nor make sense

2 Likes

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by ElectronByte(m): 9:55pm On May 18, 2015
Meizu shocked shocked shocked? na wa o

Na to use paper tape cover the phone make undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by santakris(m): 9:56pm On May 18, 2015
How much were you paid for all these. grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Readonee35L(m): 9:57pm On May 18, 2015
Nice phon4
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by bishopcarterIV: 9:57pm On May 18, 2015
We don hear...
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Flashh: 9:57pm On May 18, 2015
We need to know the price before we can know if it what to be aiming for.

3 Likes

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by danaiks(m): 9:57pm On May 18, 2015
Price?? shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 18, 2015
jeeez op no time to read the novel you posted. The phone ugly, and im sure it cheap chinko!!! if i read all your post make ant bite my left balls.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by ghostdvirus(m): 9:58pm On May 18, 2015
Good question. Price?

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by hamaworld(m): 9:58pm On May 18, 2015
D phone good... But d name make me fear d phone... MEIZU... I smell Aba made

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by kurt09(m): 9:58pm On May 18, 2015
How much?
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Neyoalao(m): 9:59pm On May 18, 2015
how much did you get it.

in other news i made front page yipee
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by UnknownT: 9:59pm On May 18, 2015
All these phones wey their spare parts no dey market. Even d name na 'suspect'. D name sef Meizu dey like Igbo name, 'Mezie'. Op, how many Nokia batteries e dey use? gringrin

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by shinysmrt: 10:00pm On May 18, 2015
ElectronByte:
Meizu shocked shocked shocked? na wa o

Na to use paper tape cover the phone make undecided

grin grin grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by baybeeboi: 10:00pm On May 18, 2015
Meizu ko, Muazu ni.
Op na how much?
And that camera na wao. Abeg show us pinsjure wei u use that camera snap make we believe.

4 Likes

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Nobody: 10:00pm On May 18, 2015
Hch
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by tayork(m): 10:00pm On May 18, 2015
Wow it really a nice phone but one have to be careful nowadays not to meet Fufu inside the phone well JK. how much is it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by jamex93(m): 10:03pm On May 18, 2015
na aba made phone?
Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 18, 2015
This OP forgot to add the link source of where he copied his review from. Please add the source and stop claiming guru with another person's review.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Review Of Meizu Mx4 Pro. by redcliff: 10:04pm On May 18, 2015
After its still the sane you people that would ipen another thread to complain how your phone got spoilt and you could not fix it at computer village. smh

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why / Five Features You Must Disable On New Smartphones / Track A Missing Phone Without Any Tracker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.