Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me (26874 Views)

I Cheated On My Husband And I Want To Confess To Him / Conversation Between A Cheating Husband And His Sidechics / Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Emaprince: 3:28pm On May 20, 2015
cococandy:
why won't you think like that when your source of information is nairaland alarmist group of misinformers? grin

My DH's boss is a woman. She pays child support for all her 3kids because they live with her hubby.

Matters of child maintenance are always decided in the best interest of the kids not the yeye gender and feminist bla bla bla some people like to teach you on nairaland.
grin grin

well, I always believed that kids should be with their mothers after divorce. Especially when they are still too young. I wonder how such women cope without their kids. Also, how did these men do it? Abeg, teach me!!!

4 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by cococandy(f): 3:48pm On May 20, 2015
Emaprince:
grin grin

well, I always believed that kids should be with their mothers after divorce. Especially when they are still too young. I wonder how such women cope without their kids. Also, how did these men do it? Abeg, teach me!!!
well moms are usually primary care givers that's why it seems like it is the men always paying child support.
It is not a gender motivated thing.

But there will always be different scenarios. Not all women are motherly.those ones may not mind paying child support while the man takes care of the kids.
Some are motherly but have more demanding jobs than the men so are not as available as the men to take care of the kids. In such a case the man will get custody because he's the one the kids are used to having around all the time.
In some other cases, you can have a mom who's ruled 'not fit to be a parent'. Maybe because she's careless or has bad habits which keeps putting the kids in danger when they are with her (e.g drugs,domestic violence, alcoholism,bad gang associations: yes sometimes women do some of those things guys do grin). The court can decide the kids are safer with the man even if the woman has been the primary caregiver. In that case, the man will take custody and the woman will pay support.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by SAMBARRY: 3:51pm On May 20, 2015
cococandy:
If there's no restraining order against you, he has no right to do that.
It is not even up to him to tell you what to pay. All that should be settled in court. Do your research and hire a competent lawyer(I don't know if you will find one on nairaland)
i beg to differ because employing lawyers for cases like this are financially, emotionally, psychologically and time draining. This battle as far as I see it is not worth fighting considering the things that will be affected on both sides (husband and wife) so thebest tthing is to settle whatever marital squabble that is between them FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by cococandy(f): 3:55pm On May 20, 2015
SAMBARRY:
i beg to differ because employing lawyers for cases like this are financially, emotionally, psychologically and time draining. This battle as far as I see it is not worth fighting considering the things that will be affected on both sides (husband and wife) so thebest tthing is to settle whatever marital squabble that is between them FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN

she said he was abusing her.

How will they settle that one?
They can't get back together. It will be suicidal of her to do that.

I agree it is expensive but he's being unreasonable. He's leaving her with no choice.

1 Like

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by SAMBARRY: 4:09pm On May 20, 2015
In that case she should give up and move on with her life .I know it's not easy taking your mind off your children. I know how it feels. It's very painful because putting myself in the woman's shoes I'll rather prefer they take everything away from me than my daughter . but when the children that he's hiding from her grow up they'll be the ones looking for their mother. After all they won't remain kids forever. More importantly she should pray and fast for things to get better
cococandy:

I agree it is expensive but he's being unreasonable. He's leaving her with no choice.

4 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 20, 2015
Very wrong. Keeping children from their mother. Parents shouldn't use their children as proxy fighters in their own war.

Feel for you, but I don't know of any Organisation that can help here in Nigeria. Guess you have to get a paid lawyer, and he may still not be able to get you much of a concession. Worth a try though, if you can afford the expenses and the stress.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 20, 2015
Abuamam:
Very wrong. Keeping children from their mother. Parents shouldn't use their children as proxy fighters in their own war.

Feel for you, but I don't know of any Organisation that can help here in Nigeria. Guess you have to get a paid lawyer, and he may still not be able to get you much of a concession. Worth a try though, if you can afford the expenses and the stress.

Good luck.

thanks
Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 20, 2015
Am a lawyer serving with the citizens rights dept. of the ministry of justice Ekiti state..I treat divorce and custody cases as a mediator.You can give me a call on 08164977854.Would be ready to give you free legal advice only because I can understand what you are passing through.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Moana(f): 6:23pm On May 20, 2015
Blackbeauty:
Am a lawyer serving with the citizens rights dept. of the ministry of justice Ekiti state..I treat divorce and custody cases as a mediator.You can give me a call on 08164977854.Would be ready to give you free legal advice only because I can understand what you are passing through.
bless you

4 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by plaetton: 7:13pm On May 20, 2015
cococandy:

Excuse me dear, but the word' abuse ' is quite broad and ambiguous. I do find that women tend to throw this word carelessly in domestic disputes in order to solicit sympathy.

I mean, aside from physical violence, what else constitutes an abuse in domestic relationships?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by plaetton: 7:21pm On May 20, 2015
cococandy:

Again,
Aren't you being too quick to judge the man, whose side of the fishy tale you haven't heard?

Obviously there are gaps in this issue that the op doesn't want to share here in public. That is fine.
But it's premature to judge the man or start casting aspersions and blames on him based on the incomplete facts presented here.

8 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by cococandy(f): 7:58pm On May 20, 2015
plaetton:

Excuse me dear, but the word' abuse ' is quite broad and ambiguous. I do find that women tend to throw this word carelessly in domestic disputes in order to solicit sympathy.

I mean, aside from physical violence, what else constitutes an abuse in domestic relationships?
so what do you propose?

If she felt abused, then she's right to leave.
Anyone has the right to leave a situation that feels threatening to them.
Whether it fits our definition or not.
The important factor is that it didn't feel safe for them.

I'm not saying jail the man or hang him or anything like that. I didn't even call him names. so I don't see how I'm judging him.

All I think he needs to do is let her have equal access to the kids as he does and both of them can forge their lives separately.

9 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 20, 2015
plaetton:

Again,
Aren't you being too quick to judge the man, whose side of the fishy tale you haven't heard?

Obviously there are gaps in this issue that the op doesn't want to share here in public. That is fine.
But it's premature to judge the man or start casting aspersions and blames on him based on the incomplete facts presented here.

No matter the situation, he should not deprive the kids from having access to their MOTHER. This is not an issue of which parent is right or wrong. Unless she is constantly trying to murder them, they have a right to be with their mother some times.

5 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 20, 2015
plaetton:

In domestic disputes,it also entails verbal and emotional abuse..it need not be physical.In some situations,you find the husband calling the wife a cheap who.re or a good for nothing idio.t..Some even say it in front of the kids and family friends.In situations like that,the marriage would be clearly hanging on a thread since there is no more respect and love.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by plaetton: 9:02pm On May 20, 2015
cococandy:
so what do you propose?

If she felt abused, then she's right to leave.
Anyone has the right to leave a situation that feels threatening to them.
Whether it fits our definition or not.
The important factor is that it didn't feel safe for them.

I'm not saying jail the man or hang him or anything like that. I didn't even call him names. so I don't see how I'm judging him.

All I think he needs to do is let her have equal access to the kids as he does and both of them can forge their lives separately.
In disputes of any kind, one side of the story is clearly not enough to start dishing out remedies. A counselor would first hear both sides of the story before recommending appropriate action.
Yes, the man might just be a real jerk, or, ...something else might be pushing him to these drastic measures.

3 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by plaetton: 9:08pm On May 20, 2015
Blackbeauty:
In domestic disputes,it also entails verbal and emotional abuse..it need not be physical.In some situations,you find the husband calling the wife a cheap who.re or a good for nothing idio.t..Some even say it in front of the kids and family friends.In situations like that,the marriage would be clearly hanging on a thread since there is no more respect and love.
I agree with almost 100%, but , it takes two to DISPUTE, and when it comes to verbal warfare, men are usually outgunned 9 to 1.

My dear, my point is that men are equally the receivers of verbal and emotional abuse .

9 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 20, 2015
Moana:
bless you

thanks. will call u
Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by cococandy(f): 10:25pm On May 20, 2015
plaetton:

In disputes of any kind, one side of the story is clearly not enough to start dishing out remedies. A counselor would first hear both sides of the story before recommending appropriate action.
Yes, the man might just be a real jerk, or, ...something else might be pushing him to these drastic measures.
pls what remedy did I dish?

Besides them going to a competent court of law where both sides of the story will be heard and a judge will decide what's best based on their circumstance.

I don't know what's wrong with that suggestion or why you're quoting me as if I prescribed a solution to them when I don't know them.

5 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by plaetton: 10:36pm On May 20, 2015
cococandy:
pls what remedy did I dish?

Besides them going to a competent court of law where both sides of the story will be heard and a judge will decide what's best based on their circumstance.

I don't know what's wrong with that suggestion or why you're quoting me as if I prescribed a solution to them when I don't know them.

I was simply stating my opinions, ms Cocoacandy, not targeting you.
Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by cococandy(f): 10:43pm On May 20, 2015
plaetton:

I was simply stating my opinions, ms Cocoacandy, not targeting you.
you quoted me na. I come dey wonder what's up grin

1 Like

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by lolababe331e: 10:43pm On May 20, 2015
SAMBARRY:
In that case she should give up and move on with her life .I know it's not easy taking your mind off your children. I know how it feels. It's very painful because putting myself in the woman's shoes I'll rather prefer they take everything away from me than my daughter . but when the children that he's hiding from her grow up they'll be the ones looking for their mother. After all they won't remain kids forever. More importantly she should pray and fast for things to get better

Did you really say she should leave her children and move on and they will look for her when they are older shocked what type of mother or even responsible father would do that. Do you think those children will forgive her knowing she didn't fight for them How does a mother move on without having access to her kids she says the man is abusive, what if he starts Abusing the kids emotionally or otherwise? What if he marries a woman who does that? So many things can happen to the children when she has no access to them. What kind of stupid life will she be moving on to not knowing how safe her children areangry even if they are safe, what about all the years of their mothers love and nurture they would have missed?

@OP, please call the lawyer who has offered to help and fight for your kids. Even if you don't have the means to have them full time now at least you'll ensure you get visitation rights and they spend some holidays with you. Your children need you, concerning financial contribution the courts will decide how much you should each contribute depending on your incomes.

7 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by lolababe331e: 10:51pm On May 20, 2015
plaetton:

That's what courts are for, to hear the 2sides and come up with a judgement that will be in the best interest of the children

4 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by plaetton: 11:37pm On May 20, 2015
cococandy:
you quoted me na. I come dey wonder what's up grin
Hhhmm
ChocolateCandy, take time o. grin
Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by olu4life(m): 11:39pm On May 20, 2015
Blackbeauty:
D Law sorry o, but I see loads of loopholes in this woman story. By the way, OP ONLY COMPLAINED ABOUT PAYING SCHOOL FEES BUT NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT THE CHILDREN BEING WITH THEIR FATHER. Its comments that got her thinking of getting the children back since she will still pay. Abeg make una reason her matter wella. I feel she is not responsible enough to have the children in care and she is comfortable wit it. PLS READ D OPENING POST AGAIN
Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Ewuro4: 3:00am On May 21, 2015
olu4life:

D Law sorry o, but I see loads of loopholes in this woman story. By the way, OP ONLY COMPLAINED ABOUT PAYING SCHOOL FEES BUT NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT THE CHILDREN BEING WITH THEIR FATHER. Its comments that got her thinking of getting the children back since she will still pay. Abeg make una reason her matter wella. I feel she is not responsible enough to have the children in care and she is comfortable wit it. PLS READ D OPENING POST AGAIN

You know I thought about the point you typed in CAPS ...

Fight for kids custody or Fight for visitation rights?

Is op ready to care for those kids before fighting for them? My friend couldn't and she's a damn great mom. She Flew those kids every midterm and fall long breaks (3 months straight) for holidays. They turned out great so far so good, the girl was a virgin @grd 12 and the boys didn't give them any problem. He did something right I guess.

@OP, Think it through dear, doesn't matter what society think of you. He is responsible for those kids upbringing as you are.
Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by KanwuliaJara: 4:38am On May 21, 2015
Is this a reverse psychology thread against baby mommas who ask for "chop-alimony" from dead beat sperm-donors? wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by SAMBARRY: 6:47am On May 21, 2015
Hello I didn't say she should abandon the kids. I'm saying that the battle is too expensive to fight so she should leave the children with him FOR THE WHILE because of what use is it to get a lawyer and be spending money, be attending court sessions every now and then and not be sure whether you will win or loose the case. You know how naija is na . They can adjourn cases over and over till you are drained.

Like I said earlier its not easy but she should count the cost before going for such cases. The same way women hide children from their fathers and they go to the ends of the earth to fish him out is the same way they will have to search for their mom when they pressurize him well. Moreover you cannot hide a lie forever it will resurface.

The point is there are some battles you live to time. Time heals a lot of pain.
lolababe331e:

Did you really say she should leave her children and move on and they will look for her when they are older shocked what type of mother or even responsible father would do that. Do you think those children will forgive her knowing she didn't fight for them How does a mother move on without having access to her kids she says the man is abusive, what if he starts Abusing the kids emotionally or otherwise? What if he marries a woman who does that? So many things can happen to the children when she has no access to them. What kind of stupid life will she be moving on to not knowing how safe her children areangry even if they are safe, what about all the years of their mothers love and nurture they would have missed?

@OP, please call the lawyer who has offered to help and fight for your kids. Even if you don't have the means to have them full time now at least you'll ensure you get visitation rights and they spend some holidays with you. Your children need you, concerning financial contribution the courts will decide how much you should each contribute depending on your incomes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by SAMBARRY: 6:49am On May 21, 2015
grin cheesy grin

something like that grin smiley
KanwuliaJara:
Is this a reverse psychology thread against baby mommas who ask for "chop-alimony" from dead beat sperm-donors? wink
Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by dinachi(m): 7:01am On May 21, 2015
As usual women are defending a deadbeat mom! I am not surprised. @Op go an check into a mental treatment facility. Gosh, you don't even sound like a good mother at all.

2 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Moana(f): 7:45am On May 21, 2015
dinachi:
As usual women are defending a deadbeat mom! I am not surprised. @Op go an check into a mental treatment facility. Gosh, you don't even sound like a good mother at all.
and you are bashing her because? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Nobody: 8:01am On May 21, 2015
emeify:
What do I do?

Separated from my husband. He is insisting I pay for the children's upkeep or I cannot see them in his house.
He has insisted on collecting part of their school fees from me. Despite that, he wants me to pay for their upkeep in his house or I cant see the kids

Is this normal?

Does anyone know a lawyer that can help?

No its not normal
Neither is your situation normal
From experience, I read between the lines when I hear accounts from one side.

You said you ran away from abuse, but you left your children behind with the abusive man . . That is not normal
You are here seeking advise on payment towards their upkeep and said nothing about rescuing them from an abuser . . .that too is not normal

You are however seeking for advise, so I will give you some
1. First of all, if you have left your kids with an abuser and their lives are at risk, ensure that you do everything ASAP to remove them from danger.

2. Yes you are a parent and have a financial obligation towards your kids upkeep. . . Both parents are responsible. If it were the other way round and the man wasnt paying, he will be a very irresponsible man. In short, you both need to pay towards your kids upkeep regardless of where they are.

3. If its not as dire as you have said, and there is no need to hurridly remove your children as their lives are not at risk and its just a breakup becasue you two cant get on, You still have a right so see your children and bond wth them, regardless of if you pay support or not, so get a lawyer and get that sorted. Someone here has offered to help you so get in contact with her.

5 Likes

Re: Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me by Moana(f): 8:16am On May 21, 2015
tearoses:

No its not normal
Neither is your situation normal
From experience, I read between the lines when I hear accounts from one side.

You said you ran away from abuse, but you left your children behind with the abusive man . . That is not normal
You are here seeking advise on payment towards their upkeep and said nothing about rescuing them from an abuser . . .that too is not normal

You are however seeking for advise, so I will give you some
1. First of all, if you have left your kids with an abuser and their lives are at risk, ensure that you do everything ASAP to remove them from danger.

2. Yes you are a parent and have a financial obligation towards your kids upkeep. . . Both parents are responsible. If it were the other way round and the man wasnt paying, he will be a very irresponsible man. In short, you both need to pay towards your kids upkeep regardless of where they are.

3. If its not as dire as you have said, and there is no need to hurridly remove your children as their lives are not at risk and its just a breakup becasue you two cant get on, You still have a right so see your children, regardless of if you pay support or not, so get a lawyer and get that sorted. Someone here has offered to help you so get in contact with her.
emeify:

No court involved yet. The cause of the separation is not important. We used to jointly pay their upkeep.

I am suggesting they stay with me certain times and the upkeep be taken care of jointly at that time as well
emeify:

Am in Lagos Nigeria.
Man was abusing me in addition to so many issues and threatening me to leave or else....

So I left. I had to stay with a cousin so could not take d kids. He has threatened over his dead body about d kids and well, they can stay with him as long as I can see them too.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Becomes Of Kids In Orphanages When They Grow Up? / 11-Year-Old Girl Impregnated By 50-Year-Old Brother-In-Law Gives Birth In Guinea / Man Pays Tribute To His Late Wife Who Died During Childbirth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.