Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (44583 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 9:05pm On May 21, 2015
mikolo80:
Like I alluded to our graduates are doing well at what they are trained to do(cannon fodder for the capitalist system) aka very insanely cheap labor.
They told me I carry shoulder up(former officer cadet pride)

I am telling you(alone civilian graduate to be) you de carry shoulder up

if I had listened I would not have sat home for almost 4years

I would be a boss(selling ordinary recharge card or kerosene)

instead I am a minion in a library trying to start kerosene biz that I could have done and been farming 4times what I am now so if you like keep saying you're a graduate so you won't do menial Jobs that pay na slave work like op own de wait una

Everything you have listed above is entrepreneurship...I never disputed that aim...We both got ourselves wrong. I thought you launched a scathing attack to graduates with 2:2 and below. Sorry about the mixup. I understand you now.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by mikolo80: 9:06pm On May 21, 2015
Nasri100:

19, 300 Level, studying Industrial Physics. CGPA is 3.90. Also a paid writer for Information Nigeria, Premium Times and Pulse Ng. More details?
Good you have a talent(writing)
do not be fooled

its a gift

not everyone has that type of gift(most are built for manual labor and technical work)

for now most were misled to go to uni when system cannot accommodate them

cos you're lucky to have white collar job is not same for everyone(my point)
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 9:21pm On May 21, 2015
mikolo80:
Good you have a talent(writing)
do not be fooled

its a gift

not everyone has that type of gift(most are built for manual labor and technical work)

for now most were misled to go to uni when system cannot accommodate them

cos you're lucky to have white collar job is not same for everyone(my point)

Yeah true
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by mikolo80: 9:39pm On May 21, 2015
Nasri100:

Everything you have listed above is entrepreneurship...I never disputed that aim...We both got ourselves wrong. I thought you launched a scathing attack to graduates with 2:2 and below. Sorry about the mixup. I understand you now.
ah noooo not at all
all i meant was that when the desirable is inavailable then the available should be next option
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Tjayjosh(m): 10:47pm On May 21, 2015
ThoniaSlim:

On the internet you can be whatever you want. Still amazes me that some people choose to be st*upid.

The fact you started a sentence with "AM" instead of "I AM" or "I'M" is appalling and I suppose you're a graduate? Shocking! shocked

By the way, you questioning my grades doesn't change it and the opportunities that I get as a result of it. So fade away dobby! cool grin
From the way you talk it clearly shows that you are immature and arrogant!. Let me tell you if this is a job interview i'll pick a 2.2 or 3rd class graduate over you. And this is exactly the point in this context. Regardless of what you think you have achieved, you'd better get rid of that attitude and shape up, young lady. Don't think you know too much because of your grades, you'd be surprised that what you know is like a little drop in the ocean.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 21, 2015
Tjayjosh:

From the way you talk it clearly shows that you are immature and arrogant!. Let me tell you if this is a job interview i'll pick a 2.2 or 3rd class graduate over you. And this is exactly the point in this context. Regardless of what you think you have achived, you'd better get rid of that attitude and shape up, young lady. Don't think you know too much because of your grades, you'd be surprised that what you know is like a little drop in the ocean.

You insulted her first, denigrated her achievements (like it or not, it takes hard work, discpline and dedication to graduate top of your class). It seems to me that you're now upset because she responded in kind? Look if I were an employer, I would never employ someone like you who thinks success is down to emotional stability. That is purely hogwash. A 1st class isn't about intelligence alone... It is a measure of how much effort you put into achieving a goal. It may not be tell me how smart you are, but it tells me who I can reliably trust to carry out a task as efficiently and as successfully as possible. If you don't like big achievers saying anything here, feel free to go back to school and try again.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Jarus(m): 11:40pm On May 21, 2015
Agbegilodo:

If you had spent half of time you used to write this thesis on studying in the University. ..you would have made a minimum of 2:1.... anyway I'm just passing through....

If you had spent the time you used in typing this in reading just his first paragraph PU would have known he didn't make a 2.2

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by takleboy(m): 12:04am On May 22, 2015
Jarus:

If you had spent the time you used in typing this in reading just his first paragraph PU would have known he didn't make a 2.2
So that dude never heard abt Xfire sa, him never know anytin
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:22am On May 22, 2015
Tjayjosh:

From the way you talk it clearly shows that you are immature and arrogant!. Let me tell you if this is a job interview i'll pick a 2.2 or 3rd class graduate over you. And this is exactly the point in this context. Regardless of what you think you have achieved, you'd better get rid of that attitude and shape up, young lady. Don't think you know too much because of your grades, you'd be surprised that what you know is like a little drop in the ocean.

Well guess what this is not a job interview and your opinion of me doesn't count. wink
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by idris4r83(m): 7:24am On May 22, 2015
Kelklein:
[size=15pt] like seriously....what is the difference btw 2.2 and 3rd class anywayz....? [/size]
What is the difference between 2,1 and 2,2 and even 1,1. Lolz, there are many differences bro
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Misterdhee1(m): 7:48am On May 22, 2015
Tho I av Neva gotten to the point of job seeking, buh I think students shud familiarise ourselves with the kind of country we are..If securing jobs in Nigeria involves mostly graduating with 2:1 or 1:1, why shudnt everyone who believes in a bright future for himself, strive to study and make such grades..Are First Class Graduants made in heaven?? Nigeria discriminate against 2:2 and 3:1, so let everyone who still have the chance, try as much as possible to prevent himself from being a victim of such!! My piece tho!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by titipeters: 8:30am On May 22, 2015
In all that u do, learn 2 pray 4 grace... either of the grades doesn't matter bt grace speaks in all... I graduated with a 2.2... and i was the very first person of all my departmental mates 2 work in a gov teaching hosp in my desired field and am bin paid above 100k... yet my first class friends in d department are still roaming around with dia..... #pray 4 grace in all#
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by ugoonuoha: 8:49am On May 22, 2015
All these people rationalizing MEDIOCRITY are very silly. That you managed to secure a job with a 2:2 or 3rd class doesn't change the FACT that the job market is tougher for those without 1/2:1. For Christ's sake you can't even get in (most times) to prove your mettle.
O&G, FMCG, Banks, multinationals etc. ALL require 2:1 or better at ENTRY-LEVEL. Only govt agencies and 2nd tier coys compromise on that standard. To buttress the point ThoniaSlim made, opportunities abound for First Class grads esp. For example, I know Delta state offers automatic Overseas scholarship to all indigenes that graduate with First Class. Even FG PRESSID amongst others. That's if you choose to further your studies. Most Engrg/science related guys are snapped up by oil coys n paid Millions. So to all aspiring graduates, try and make a FIRST CLASS at all costs - it truly makes a world of difference.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 22, 2015
bros save yourself unnecessary grammar, if you had settled your lecturer when you were in skool like your friends who have 1st class and 2.1.
it would have been a different matter by now for you. hope is not lost you will get the chance to prove that your as good as they re.

However know that life achievements go beyond grades, its what you contribute that counts, your ability to solve everyday problems for society will distiguish u, who knows those 1st class guys could even become your employees.

cheer up!! grin
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Wonder1844(m): 3:29pm On May 22, 2015
2emgee:
I have a brilliant family friend who is a mechanical engineering graduate from one of the foremost federal universities in Nigeria. This guy incidentally graduated with a 3rd class after an extra year, you would wonder why ? he was a mere victim of religious circumstance and at the same time reaped the reward of being disobedient to his mother who warned him not to get involved in the school politics. This is a guy who has the best result in the class from 100L- 400L before contesting for the post of department president although he won overwhelmingly but was alleged to have ''stepped on toes''. The most pathetic part is that he hasn't been able to get himself a good job since NYSC 2009 though employers are always impressed by his transcripts and always ask him why he started excellently but finished so poorly even though he always prove his ability whenever he's put to test they always deny him based on the organization policy of minimum of second class lower
u so funny. If he was d best frm 100l to 400l nd yet graduated with a 3rd class is obvious all d students in dat class are dull cos just a year cn nt drag somebody frm a gud 2.1 to 3rd class
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Wonder1844(m): 3:32pm On May 22, 2015
davidylan:

if you were that good, you wont be here complaining neither would you have graduated with less than a 2.1.
dont mind d guy exaggerating abt hs school/dept. D same place were oda made 1st class.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Wonder1844(m): 3:46pm On May 22, 2015
I tink d idea is that we should tell our children and family members to graduate with whatever they want and get ready to be an entrepreneus because 1st class nd 2.1 graduates are all over d streets without a job.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 3:48pm On May 22, 2015
ugoonuoha:
All these people rationalizing MEDIOCRITY are very silly. That you managed to secure a job with a 2:2 or 3rd class doesn't change the FACT that the job market is tougher for those without 1/2:1. For Christ's sake you can't even get in (most times) to prove your mettle.
O&G, FMCG, Banks, multinationals etc. ALL require 2:1 or better at ENTRY-LEVEL. Only govt agencies and 2nd tier coys compromise on that standard. To buttress the point ThoniaSlim made, opportunities abound for First Class grads esp. For example, I know Delta state offers automatic Overseas scholarship to all indigenes that graduate with First Class. Even FG PRESSID amongst others. That's if you choose to further your studies. Most Engrg/science related guys are snapped up by oil coys n paid Millions. So to all aspiring graduates, try and make a FIRST CLASS at all costs - it truly makes a world of difference.

I was told Networking is the ultimate goal in job hunting and am not even out of the system but going to graduate with a 2:1 yet. But reality is in contrast to your assertion. I have done a survey and realized that 70% of the people in the Gas sector and Physics-related jobs actually graduated with a 2:2 but due to influence of people and some Masters, they got the job. So its very confusing. Nigeria is actually fraud. I better intensify my networking practice and know people.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by ugoonuoha: 4:43pm On May 22, 2015
Nasri100:

I was told Networking is the ultimate goal in job hunting and am not even out of the system but going to graduate with a 2:1 yet. But reality is in contrast to your assertion. I have done a survey and realized that 70% of the people in the Gas sector and Physics-related jobs actually graduated with a 2:2 but due to influence of people and some Masters, they got the job. So its very confusing. Nigeria is actually fraud. I better intensify my networking practice and know people.
While intensifying your networking, you might as well drop to 2:2, so you stand a better chance of getting in! *sarcasm alert* Honestly speaking, with the way we keep churning out graduates, some companies will soon start advertising for just 1st class grads only. Most times, the people that get the job from the whole pool of candidates are FC grads anyway. So better smart up. PS. I agree Masters can also give you an edge or at least be an equalizer for 2:2 folks.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nasri100(m): 5:41pm On May 22, 2015
ugoonuoha:

While intensifying your networking, you might as well drop to 2:2, so you stand a better chance of getting in! *sarcasm alert* Honestly speaking, with the way we keep churning out graduates, some companies will soon start advertising for just 1st class grads only. Most times, the people that get the job from the whole pool of candidates are FC grads anyway. So better smart up. PS. I agree Masters can also give you an edge or at least be an equalizer for 2:2 folks.

Most likely and certain to graduate with 2:1 but 2:2 doesn't mean i would not get a decent job. Besides with my 2:1, no company owes me any job, so if they decide to pick first class graduates only Who cares? There are other ventures and things to exploit life. I like thinking outside the box and against the norms.

If people without education are making Money, a graduate unable to do that is an embarrassment.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Champella(m): 10:06pm On May 22, 2015
Agbegilodo:

If you had spent half of time you used to write this thesis on studying in the University. ..you would have made a minimum of 2:1.... anyway I'm just passing through....

Sadly, the person you quoted missed bagging a First Class by a whisker.

By the grace of God, he's growing everyday as an Engineer in the Oil & Gas industry. cool
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:32pm On May 23, 2015
koife:
Quite true...I finished my first degree with 2.2 but I took a fight back during my MSC and am gunning 4.5 as my final grade after thesis....I hate the uneccesary discrimination that goes on in labour market sphere. I pray something is done fast.

Something like what? Remove the use of CGPA in employment considerations? You had 5 years to make sure you did not fall into the trap... too bad you decided not to make good use of it.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 23, 2015
haibe:
I bet u didn't finish in a serious federal university in Nigeria, if not u wont be saying this.. I know people that are far more experienced and intelligent than me in my field but finished with lower grades than me .. till today, they still put me through a lot in my field and I can never discriminate against them but when an employer sees them, he assumes I am better than them all because of these paper works we did in school. . Thats a warp mentality.

You won't appreciate some 3rd classes until u realise how far they are better than u.. some finished with this grades because they were hustling a lot for their school fees and feeding while in school, while some were just unfortunate (I know someone who had 59, 49 69s in majority; just one mark to get A B or C).. if this one mark was in place, he would surely finish with a 2:1.. Prejudice is just too bad because you may easily ignore a game changer in your organisation.

Multinationals can afford to miss the "gamechangers" you say exist among the 2.2 and 3rd class candidates... they have far more options. Chances are, they can find plenty of game changers among the 1st class and 2.1 candidates so at the end of the day, no loss for them.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:35pm On May 23, 2015
CFCfan:

In the US, scoring 49 and 59 will earn u an F grade. 69 is a D grade, lower than a C (or C-).

Not even close to true.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 12:48am On May 24, 2015
davidylan:

Multinationals can afford to miss the "gamechangers" you say exist among the 2.2 and 3rd class candidates... they have far more options. Chances are, they can find plenty of game changers among the 1st class and 2.1 candidates so at the end of the day, no loss for them.
show me 10 successful famous and well know successful game changers that finished with 1st class and I will show you 20 of those that finished with 2.2/3.1.. Seems u don't know statistics shows that most of the successful and famous people Do NoT finish with 1st class at all.. only very insignificant few finish with 2:1. So what are u telling me, well you are still the regular average thinking Nigerian who looks at the theory.. Good for u
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 1:24am On May 24, 2015
haibe:
show me 10 successful famous and well know successful game changers that finished with 1st class and I will show you 20 of those that finished with 2.2/3.1.. Seems u don't know statistics shows that most of the successful and famous people Do NoT finish with 1st class at all.. only very insignificant few finish with 2:1. So what are u telling me, well you are still the regular average thinking Nigerian who looks at the theory.. Good for u

this is a false statement that many use to justify their own failure. Please mention these successful third class candidates. I'll be waiting.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 2:05am On May 24, 2015
davidylan:

this is a false statement that many use to justify their own failure. Please mention these successful third class candidates. I'll be waiting.
I will address this but address mine. Show me those successful first class first or which you refer to as game changers that can be found.. show me 10 and I will show you 20 2.2/3.1

And oh! You think not making a first class means you have failed? You really must be deluded my friend. . No one is justifying failure, its a self evident fact that there are more prominent succesful 2:2/3:1 than 1st class.. I mean exceptional people, not those that simply get jobs in good organisations
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 3:49am On May 24, 2015
haibe:
I will address this but address mine. Show me those successful first class first or which you refer to as game changers that can be found.. show me 10 and I will show you 20 2.2/3.1

And oh! You think not making a first class means you have failed? You really must be deluded my friend. . No one is justifying failure, its a self evident fact that there are more prominent succesful 2:2/3:1 than 1st class.. I mean exceptional people, not those that simply get jobs in good organisations

I'm sorry, you made the claim and not me. you should first prove your claim before trying to hide under the usual hubris of "answer me first". Show us the successful 2.2 and 3rd class grads.

And i need to address the absurd red herring you threw up there. At no point did i say that not making a first class = failure. That is your own paranoia at play.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Rickywowoz: 9:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
tanimola22:
Nice write-up, xfire. What you've written is not far from reality. I personally have stories of one or two third class grads, not even 2:2, who're equivalent to 1st or 2:1 in ability and capacity but circumstances made them graduate with a 3rd..The circumstances, which were a combination of family pressure, lateness to school because of no money and a host of other negative factors unrelated to their academic abilities, contributed to their poor academic outing. I must warn that not all third class graduates are in this category.

It's true that some 2:2 or third grads have a lot to prove and will make good employees, going to the ends of the earth to add real value to companies. In reality, and business people know this, it's an excellent strategy to hire people who have something to prove. You use their deepest of desires for validation to grow your own company. Emotion can be a very strong motivator, I tell you. Such employees work with their flesh, blood and soul - all what they have. That's one of the major reasons why Sir Richard Branson hires former prisoners/ex convicts in his firms. I once heard him say that over the last 20 years or so, some of his very best employees have been the ones who had a lot of things to prove - the ex convicts. In this scenario, I would like to liken these ex-convicts to the third class grads who've got a lot of big things to prove. Let's give them a chance.

I've opened a company in Nigeria and in the right time when I've grown the required local and global client-base to make the company a big success, I know those I'll hire.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment 2011 / Share Your Remote Job/ Hustle / Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.