Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,967 members, 7,821,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. (42492 Views)

El-Rufai Introduces Residency Card In Kaduna / President Buhari Attends Juma'at Prayers At The State House (Photos) / Buhari Worships At Imo State House Chapel (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by westgermany: 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2015
fabolous....oya front page straigth
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Donvic4u(m): 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2015
Dunno how dis will change price of garri....

For latest news check my signature!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Octaves(m): 2:55pm On Jul 02, 2015
the house is fine
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Mogidi: 2:57pm On Jul 02, 2015
tdayof:
STOP ADDING SOUTH SOUTH TO YOUR PROBLEMS

Who is this ediot, when did you become an SS?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by myklangelo(m): 3:05pm On Jul 02, 2015
Elegantly grandiose.

Follow on twitter @odeniigboBlog

My tutorial for the week is out...Igbo ga-adiririri!

The 1st Igbo language blog is out, it is fun and insightful. Visit, comment, share and criticize.www.odeniigbo..com
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by drmaxayuba(m): 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2015
Wondering How Applying For These Opportunities Rock? Read This!: Are You Interested In Building A Career In The Creative Industries Apply For The British Council Is Bound To Make An Impact In Your Business

visit www.applyfor.tk

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by millionaireman: 3:15pm On Jul 02, 2015
Mogidi:
They should be renovating the place sharp sharp, it could be needed if the SS/SE decides to bone Buhari.

Beautiful design by colonial masters.
It is supposed to have had value added to it to yield income to the area.

Any how, any day SE and SS work with one political objective, whatever neglect both areas suffer in Nigeria must be over that day.

But so long as the different groups in the SS and SE can't work together, so long whatever political objectives each group has suffer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by albarka93: 3:18pm On Jul 02, 2015
Naija history is nt complete without Lokoja & Calabar.Gud memories indeed from the ancient cities
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by anonimi: 3:20pm On Jul 02, 2015
baralatie:
beautiful memories

You lived in that period

Na im be sey we go dash you title of Methuselah of NL grin grin

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by IceDude(m): 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2015
The building is kul! cool
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2015
Aigbofa:
Calabar is a no man's land. Nice building though.
That means that anywhere that was once the capital of Nigeria should be no-man's-land? Like calabar,lagos and abuja? hmmmmm!
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 02, 2015
Beautiful
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by hibbayueei(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2015
Am so late for my meeting and I ve not gone 2ru the files/Am traveling and I will need sumtin to kip me busy/My phone memory is filled up, I need to free some space/i need to transfer files from my computer to my Phone or Tablets/ I need to watch a video or play music or read files I downloaded from my phone on my TV screen or Tablets or computer .... THEN what you need is an OTG Smartphones Dual USB Flash drive... Check my signature/profile for more information.
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:30pm On Jul 02, 2015
albarka93:
Naija history is nt complete without Lokoja & Calabar.Gud memories indeed from the ancient cities
I was in one of the buildings erected by Lord Lugard in Lokoja. It now serves as the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by anonimi: 3:30pm On Jul 02, 2015
ROSSIKE:
op how many roads, hospitals and universities were built in Calabar by your colonial rulers? You do realise that at independence most houses in Calabar were mud huts, most roads untarred, and blacks like you were not allowed near that building you posted unless you were a servant or cleaner?

How many roads, hospitals and universities were built in Calabar BEFORE the colonial masters
Thanks.

Great post from OP.
We should discover, research and re-validate our history, irrespective of how good, bad or ugly it may be.

The Jews and Europeans do not shy away from telling of the wars they fought and the genocides/holocaust that they carried out/endured.
Ditto for the Tutsis in Rwanda.

We should tell our stories and continuously rehabilitate monuments of intra and inter tribal wars, slave raids, slave trade, civil war etc to learn useful lessons therefrom.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by erimmy(m): 3:31pm On Jul 02, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
This imposing ornate building with beautiful old European architecture, served as the seat of the government during the colonial era. Today it is part of the National Museum, run by the National Commission for Museums and Monuments, housing artefacts and relics of historical interest.
It is situated near the Mariana Beach Resort and is housed in the Old Government House building - the former residence of the Colonial Governor when Calabar was the capital of pre-independent Nigeria.
Like the Lugard House, Lokoja, the Old Residency was designed and built in the United Kingdom (Glasgow) and shipped over to Nigeria in pieces.

http://www.crossriverstate.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109:the-old-residency-museum-calabar&catid=94&Itemid=279
Good things coming out of the land of Canaan. Glad to.be a Cross Riverian. God bless the land of my birth- the peoples' Paradise. "singing state anthem"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2015
I've observed that Europeans love to build with iroko woods;are they better than using cement. Most of the buildings they showed during hurricane Katrina were mostly wooden.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by nsilordgmail(m): 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
Young03:
Someone asked

why is it dat 90% of calabar names carry letter 'K' in it
. Pls list the names. Don't say wat u don't knw!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by BigElEddy(m): 3:48pm On Jul 02, 2015
baralatie:
beautiful memories

Are you serious right now? This is where some white folks who took part in shipping black folks abroad for slavery lived and dominated the ones left here in their own land and you call that "beautiful memories"? I'd hate to see what you call ugly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by IAmTobore(m): 3:57pm On Jul 02, 2015
Shipped to 9ja in pieces? O boy see house!
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by mmsen: 3:59pm On Jul 02, 2015
DankemzI:
Even Mary Slessor's house at Itam, Itu Local Government in Akwa Ibom state sadly the same location our amiable federal government chooses to site a nuclear plant in Akwa Ibom.
The Mary Slessor house is a tourist attraction, in Akwa Ibom they worship her as twin goddesse so much to learn from our history!
such a rich history with diversity!
**Mary Slessor stopped the killing of twins in West Africa**

Mary Slessor stopped the killing of twins in a few villages in a tiny corner of West Africa.

Let's stop repeating this lie that the killing of twins was widespread in the region when it clearly was not.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by acehood907(m): 4:00pm On Jul 02, 2015
Nice one ;DNice one
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 02, 2015
Aigbofa:
Calabar is a no man's land. Nice building though.
hahaha! abi na cheesy
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by lakesidepapa(m): 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2015
aguiyi:
farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better than what fayemi built in ekiti state grin grin grin grin

Ahah, fayose himself confirmed the government house as one of the best GH in Nigeria as he said it's the best GH he has ever seen
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by lakesidepapa(m): 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2015
aguiyi:
farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better than what fayemi built in ekiti state grin grin grin grin

Ahah, fayose himself confirmed the government house as one of the best GHs in Nigeria as he said it's the best GH he has ever seen
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by IBBG(m): 4:13pm On Jul 02, 2015
A simple and elegant building. The british gave us independence too soon. They shuld hav waited longer a little bit b4 handing over to us. Perhaps by now we wuld hav had strong institutions and technological advancements like southafrica. Because the level of development they left us with, is what we are still battling to keep up with till today. SMH
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by seangy4konji: 4:15pm On Jul 02, 2015
Looks yankee self.
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Zenfarm: 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2015
Very impressive architecture. They should make a postcard or stamp out of it.[img][/img]

Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 02, 2015
IBBG:
A simple and elegant building. The british gave us independence too soon. They shuld hav waited longer a little bit b4 handing over to us. Perhaps by now we wuld hav had strong institutions and technological advancements like southafrica. Because the level of development they left us with, is what we are still battling to keep up with till today. SMH
You are ignorant and slave-minded. The British ruled you for 63 years and in that period exported your resources worth billions in today's money. Yet they built not one power plant, not one expressway, not one university, not one single major industry, not one single major hospital, and left you with a national literacy rate of 10%. That figure is today 74% courtesy of black leadership and their building of thousands of schools after independence. Considering the underdeveloped state they left you in after an uninterrupted 63 year rule, it amounts to unfathomable foolishness to suggest an extended colonial reign. Kindly desist from posting such slavish nonsense here, and thank your lucky stars for independence, without which you would have been a butt-scratching village carpenter, tailor, or farmer like your colonial era grandparents.
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 02, 2015
Cyriloha:
Please how knows #johnnySarz....Connection him to me 09030626118
Am here.. anything
Re: Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. by Cyriloha(m): 5:00pm On Jul 02, 2015
JohnnySarz:
Am here.. anything
I need sites that supports PHP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos In Darkness As Militants Damage Escravos Gas Plant / Nnamdi Kanu, His Father And South-East Governors Meet In Enugu (Photos) / Picture Of Buhari Raising His Hands Up During Budget Presentation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.