Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION (1979 Views)

Adesola Amosu's £2m Mansion In UK (Photos Shared By APC London) / Stella Oduah Debunks Reports Of Supreme Court Sacking - Channels Television / Jonathan And Buhari Agree To Channels Television Debate On Feb3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by naijapips: 10:08pm On May 23, 2015
Nigeria’s Minister of Finance has refuted claims that the President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration is leaving behind a backlog of debt to the tune of $63 billion.

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who spoke at a forum organised by finance correspondents in Abuja, the nation’s capital, noted that the explained that the amount was the total debt profile the nation owed between 1960 to date.

While noting that President Jonathan’s administration has the lowest debt profile in the nation’s history, she added that borrowed funds were used to stimulate growth in critical sectors which include the rail, ‎agriculture and power sectors.

The APC National Chairman, Chief John Oyegun, had lamented during a retreat organised for newly elected senators of the APC, that it would take over 228 years to repay Nigeria’s debt, which they said was accumulated by the outgoing administration.

But Dr. Okonjo-Iweala pointed out that the outgoing administration has done measurably well in ‎maintaining low inflation rate, building road networks and improving agricultural productivity, among other accomplishments.

http://.com/discussion/7954/okonjo-iweala-refutes-63b-debt-claim-by-apc-channels-television/p1

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by pheliciti: 10:13pm On May 23, 2015
Thank you ma. If you claim the APC figure is wrong, now tell us, how much is the debt you met and how much are you leaving behind?

8 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by tomakint: 10:16pm On May 23, 2015
$63 Billion debt was reported to be accumulated debt from 1960 till date, how come the Obj's administration was silent about this........and the Ota Clown was boasting of paying off Nigeria's debt undecided My respect for this Amazon just doubled. Imagine the miserable leaders we have been parading all these years.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 23, 2015
Apc don see reality dhe face dem
So dem dhe try sell lies to us
Buh we no go buy, even if some apc thugs go accept

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 23, 2015
brb
Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by sunkoye: 10:22pm On May 23, 2015
last minute defence wont take this woman anywia. She is going down as Nigeria worst finance minister. Heck, she does bare face lies without blinking. Leading naija into coma. Ika gbogbo!

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Kagarko(m): 10:23pm On May 23, 2015
Nigerians elites are sometimes funny.
If you claim the APC figure is wrong, now tell us, how much is the debt you met and how much are you leaving behind?

If you do this, you have rest your case simple.

I even forgot that she had an advance degree in economics!

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by LouisVanGaal(m): 10:23pm On May 23, 2015
If you claim the $63b is the total debt since 1960, then how much did GEJs govt contribute to that tally? Typical Nigerian, ALWAYs using question to answer a question

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by dtruth3(m): 10:25pm On May 23, 2015
It dose appear everyone in APC should adopt the name "LIE" as an official name. Eg Lie Muhamed, Lie Oyegun, Lie Tinubu, Lie Osibande etc

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Yeske2(m): 10:27pm On May 23, 2015
Liar, which roads? Ore-Benin road abi.
No saTANist should tell me about any in the SE because I'm here live and direct.
Let her tell us about what is left of our foreign reserve and debts both foreign and local and let's compare to what OBJ left.I'm not even talking about the price of oil during OBJ's time and a larger part of the clueless one's regime

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by atlwireles: 10:31pm On May 23, 2015
You want to know about Nigeria's debt, http://www.dmo.gov.ng/

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Day11(m): 10:46pm On May 23, 2015
$63 billion USD.

The funny part is, "it would take over 228 years to repay Nigeria’s debt"

shocked

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by atlwireles: 10:48pm On May 23, 2015
Day11:
$63 billion USD.

The funny part is, "it would take over 228 years to repay Nigeria’s debt"

shocked

Really which debt?

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by OduaVanguard: 10:55pm On May 23, 2015
NOI, answer these simple questions:

1. HOW MUCH IS THE DEBT YOU MET?

2. HOW MUCH DEBT ARE YOU LEAVING BEHIND? ?

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by baybeeboi: 11:00pm On May 23, 2015
just fed up with this APC already.
I wonder if they are goin to spend the next four years town crying around.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Young03(m): 11:00pm On May 23, 2015
If i had something meaningful to say,i wouldnt hesitate to have said it.

The way these top official dey tak call money dey fear me
Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by AmucheJane(f): 11:02pm On May 23, 2015
Somepeople don't like the woman because she is an igbo woman, haters should go and die. APC should come and challenge her, nonsense people, always making noise. Igbo people no dey carry last, so the woman toomuch. Some of u people talking nonsense, una mama no even enter class room let alone obtaining any certificate.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by vision2022: 11:05pm On May 23, 2015
Madam deceiver, God will pay you back.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by midolian(m): 11:16pm On May 23, 2015
Kagarko:
Nigerians elites are sometimes funny.
If you claim the APC figure is wrong, now tell us, how much is the debt you met and how much are you leaving behind?

If you do this, you have rest your case simple.

I even forgot that she had an advance degree in economicslying!
FIXED

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by midolian(m): 11:20pm On May 23, 2015
AmucheJane:
Somepeople don't like the woman because she is an igbo woman, haters should go and die. APC should come and challenge her, nonsense people, always making noise. Igbo people no dey carry last, so the woman toomuch. Some of u people talking nonsense, una mama no even enter class room let alone obtaining any certificate.
what is this 1 saying? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by otokx(m): 11:23pm On May 23, 2015
This woman has come again; she alone put us in this fuel scarcity mess or are all the oil marketers also APC members?

A bank robber when caught will never agree on the amount stolen but will have to be liable for the missing money to the last kobo.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Nobody: 12:03am On May 24, 2015
Can it ever get better?

The greed of mankind.

Human govern human to his own injury.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by denedene(m): 12:09am On May 24, 2015
chei chei apc o! wetyn we no go hear from una and gullible nigerians musta believed their ridiculous claims, oga buhari don't let the party choose your ministers o! if not na failure get you so, make the right choice. i believe in you but not your party
Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by emmatok(m): 12:30am On May 24, 2015
Since 1960 shocked

Ngozi!!!

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by jorlons(m): 12:31am On May 24, 2015
First, you people said Nigeria was debt free under OBJ. Now it has suddenly become an accumulated debt from 1960 till date.

Madam headgear should tell us which to believe, whether Nigeria was at any point debt free or if she's suffering from amnesia, cause I don't see any reason why she should be lying or is she now the minister of lying affairs

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by emmatok(m): 12:33am On May 24, 2015
tomakint:
$63 Billion debt was reported to be accumulated debt from 1960 till date, how come the Obj's administration was silent about this........and the Ota Clown was boasting of paying off Nigeria's debt undecided My respect for this Amazon just doubled. Imagine the miserable leaders we have been parading all these years.

What has OBJ got to do with this.
Let your Madam show us our 1960 creditors.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by kokoA(m): 12:39am On May 24, 2015
AmucheJane:
stop trying so hard to show us how empty your brain is.. What has tribe got to do with this? She said APC lied.. Agreed! Oya, let us tell us how much Naija is owing naw since it's not up to 63billion dollars.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by aieromon(m): 2:08am On May 24, 2015
I smell burnt lies. I wish Soludo had published all his three letters to tear this woman apart.

How many trillions (in actual fact) have been ‘lost’ through customs duty waivers over the last four years? As coordinator of the economy, can you tell Nigerians why the price of automotive gas oil (AGO), popularly called diesel, has still not come down despite the crash in global crude oil prices, and how much is being appropriated by friends in the process? Be honest: do you really know (as coordinator and minister of finance) how many trillions of Naira, self- financing government agencies earn and spend? I have a long list but let me wait for now. I do not want to talk about other ‘black pots’ that impinge on national security.

My estimate, Madam, is that probably more than N30 trillion has either been stolen or lost or unaccounted for or simply mismanaged under your watchful eyes in the past four years. Since you claim to be in charge, Nigerians are right to ask you to account. Think about what this amount could mean for the 112 million poor Nigerians or for our schools, hospitals, roads, etc. Soon, you will start asking the citizens to pay this or that tax, while some faceless “thieves” were pocketing over $40 million per day from oil alone.

You alluded to debt relief in your response and tried to take credit. Well, your CV is honest enough to admit that your two achievements in office as Finance minister under Obasanjo were that “you led the Nigerian team that struck a deal with the Paris Club” and that you “introduced the practice of publishing each state’s monthly financial allocation in the newspapers”. You are right about the two achievements.

Let me put on record that Nigeria would have secured debt relief under anyone as Minister of Finance. President Obasanjo secured debt relief for Nigeria. Much of his first term was used to get Nigeria back into the international community and to campaign for debt relief. Before you were sworn in as Minister of Finance, President Bush visited Nigeria and both of us accompanied President Obasanjo during the meeting. There, Mr. Bush promised to support Nigeria with debt relief and asked our president to ensure that he met the conditions of the Paris Club. Obasanjo mobilized the global political support and coordinated all of us to ensure that the government met the check-list of ‘conditionalities’ as required. I spent five weeks in the hotel with my team (as coordinator/chairman for drafting the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy, NEEDS).

Some of the reform targets in NEEDS became the ‘conditionalities’ Nigeria was required to fulfil to merit debt relief. You and I signed the various MoU with the IMF on behalf of Nigeria (the policy support instrument). We had a great team at work and each member of the economic team had specific aspects of the conditionalities to deliver: Bode Agusto was in-charge of the budget; Oby Ezekwesili held sway at Bureau of Public Procurement and later Minister of Solid Mineral, and Education (but specifically tasked with delivering on EITI and procurement reforms); Nuhu Ribadu was at the EFCC fighting corruption; I was at the Central Bank delivering on monetary policy and banking reforms; Steve Oronsaye worked hard to delist Nigeria from the FATF; Nenadi Usman was in-charge of the parastatals; El-Rufai held forth at FCT and in charge of public sector reforms; privatization programme went on, etc.

Did you know that the IMF wrote President Obasanjo threatening that there would be no debt relief if the CBN did not meet some monetary targets, and do you know the magic we performed to meet them? Can you tell Nigerians which of the ‘conditionalities’ that you personally implemented? With the groundswell of political support and Nigeria meeting all the ‘conditionalities’, debt relief was assured.

By the way, can you tell Nigerians why you were eased out as Finance Minister and you cried like a baby begging OBJ to still allow you remain in the Economic Management team—- barely few weeks after the debt relief? Why were you eventually also removed from the economic management team if you were so important? Ironically, President Jonathan has recycled you, with a bigger title and greater responsibilities. But the difference is that the team that did the actual work is no longer there, and the world has seen that the king is naked.

You are brilliant Madam, but you need serious help. Having spent all your life in the World Bank bureaucracy largely in administration/operations, no one will blame you if your economics has become a bit rusty. There are firebrand Nigerians all over the world to draft to service. It is certainly embarrassing to Nigeria for you to be bothering World Bank economists to help you with most basic economic analysis.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by chrisblack: 2:43am On May 24, 2015
AmucheJane:
look at your very myopic statement because she is ibo.she must not be questioned on mismanagement.was she not part on obj govt that celebrated debt cancellation and payment.let her tell us that it never happened and what she meet under jonathan. Am tired of smellows like u.always playing the ethnic card even when we all know she underperformed.what was her basis even in economics.she was just hyped while the main work was done by obj,soludo,lemo etc.now she became defacto prime minister all we have seen as been total failure in all sector.tellme 1 sector you can proudly say the scored above 15percent.ho sorry they scored 215percent in corruption

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Beremx(f): 2:57am On May 24, 2015
AmucheJane:
there we go again with cry of victimization of the Igbo race.

Smh

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by Nobody: 3:55am On May 24, 2015
Do they still teach English comprehension in Nigerian schools?

She hasn't refuted APC's claims. Whether accumulated or not, the current debt profile stands at $63bn and the next government would have to shoulder this.

It is imperative we lay aside our political differences in order to ascertain the true state of our economy. Things will get a whole lot worse but any sort of improvement would be achieved. Nigerians brace up.
I expect rate of suicides to increase in the coming months.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Refutes $63b Debt Claim By APC - CHANNELS TELEVISION by dustmalik: 4:51am On May 24, 2015
jorlons:
First you people said Nigeria was debt free under OBJ. Now it has suddenly become an accumulated debt from 1960 till date.

Madam headgear should tell us which to believe, whether Nigeria was at any point debt free or if she's suffering from amnesia, cause I don't see any reason why she should be lying or is she now the minister of lying affairs

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo Shared $74million Halliburton Bribe, Okiro Panel Says: • / FFK Finally Divorces His Girlfriend / Shocking! Amaechi Used N4billion Agriculture Loan For Political Patronage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.