Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,276 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe (19188 Views)

Baga Town Goes To Fishing: Aftermath Of Boko Haram Defeat / Ijaw People Must Produce Avengers, tompolo - Army / NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Islie: 7:06am On May 25, 2015
A former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe, has urged the Ijaw people of the Niger Delta to return to fishing, saying this would reduce the region’s overdependence on oil.

Orubebe said there was a need for the people of the South-South to devise a strategy that would make them to be less dependent on oil resources in order to move the region forward.

He made this suggestion in his presentation at a seminar organised by the Ijaw Professionals Association in Lagos, on Saturday.

Delivering a paper entitled, “The place of the Ijaw in Nigeria: A call for strategic action,” Orubebe said it had become imperative for the region to look inward by diversifying its economy in order to make the oil producing communities less reliant on oil, noting that “oil has been a problem for our people.”

The former minister noted that the people of the region were industrious before the discovery of oil.

He said that the discovery of oil distracted the Ijaw nation from its traditional economy and consequently left the people in poverty.

He said, “Because of oil we have abandoned what God has given us in our environment. Ijaw people naturally are fishermen. But we abandoned what God has given to us and we focused on oil which we don’t have absolute control of. And that is our dilemma. That is what has trapped us.”

The former minister also lamented the years of neglect of the region by successive governments.

He said, “Despite being one of the largest producers of oil in this country, the Ijaw have suffered marginalisation and infrastructural neglect. More than 90 per cent of the communities have yet to be connected with network of roads. Linkage to the national grid for electricity is still a dream.”

In his remarks, the Executive Director, Institute of Communication and Corporate Studies, Dr. Austin Tam George, who was the guest speaker, described the Petroleum Industry Bill as cosmetic, saying the responsibility of maintaining oil resources belong to the Federal Government.

He warned that the PIB would create problems if passed into law.

He said, “The Petroleum Industry Bill makes it as a fundamental objective to disentitle oil producing communities of their rights. These communities will fight for their rights and when they fight for their rights, we are going to have increased regional instability which in a way will cause instability in the country.”

He charged the participants to focus on how to diversify the economy of the Niger Delta region.

http://www.punchng.com/politics/ijaw-people-must-return-to-fishing-orubebe/

1 Like

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by ibkgab001: 7:09am On May 25, 2015
Yes that Is what they have come to do In this world ... Mind you they must not trespass to Itsekiri boundary

4 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:10am On May 25, 2015
why dem wan return to fishing?
let them stay with the oil na...

na awa oyel...

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by dre11(m): 7:15am On May 25, 2015
He said, “Despite being one of the largest producers of oil in this country, the Ijaw have suffered marginalisation and infrastructural neglect. More than 90 per cent of the communities have yet to be connected with network of roads. Linkage to the national grid for electricity is still a dream.”

"He said, “Despite being one of the largest producers of oil in this country, the Ijaw have suffered marginalisation and infrastructural neglect. More than 90 per cent of the communities have yet to be connected with network of roads. Linkage to the national grid for electricity is still a dream.”

No one disputes that. But the greatest irony is that one of your own has been up there for 6 years and the situation remains the same. Yet a few days ago, you wanted the same person to remain in office, chanting "Jega, you cannot continue". We will keep on harping on the point that having "one of your own in power" in Nigeria means nothing, unless he/she is a solid performer. I believe that the message is sinking in slowly.

99 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by OduaVanguard: 7:15am On May 25, 2015
The Biafrans must not hear this o cheesy Coz na the basis of their by-force by-fire attache with the ijaws and Niger Delta be dat o. cheesy

Seriously, EVERY REGION/STATE needs to, as a matter urgency, device creative and strategic ways of dramatically increasing their IGR to mitigate the fallout of the dip in the oil revenue. Ffock the oil.

17 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by micolaj: 7:17am On May 25, 2015
Counting your losses after 5 years of your brother's (GEJ)reign. After all, every region has its own reprobate. Obasanjo's 8 years bring little or nothing to the Southwestners. Orubebe's ideas are good, and every region must follow this diversification path. I pray Buhari's reign brings prosperity to all regions. (Amen).

19 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by ijustdey: 8:05am On May 25, 2015
ijaw people should hold their son responsible for whatever happens to them.

if their own couldn't do it...... are we now to blame the other region for neglecting themundecided

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Nuzo1(m): 8:27am On May 25, 2015
Mumu...you can't find a healthy fish in an oily water.

7 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by theV0ice: 8:31am On May 25, 2015
finally.....

common sense is prevailing. Halleluyah sambari

However, i 'forsee' some anger being displayed on this thread soon cool

4 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by rexbuton: 8:32am On May 25, 2015
They should go to fishing.. Stop all exploration and exploitation
Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 8:40am On May 25, 2015
Fishing in a water polluted by oil.When you were in charge on ministary of Niger Deltal,you supposed to have build roads and world standard university or any institution that will attract people, from all over the country. Things like that Will improve the life of lot of people. Place like Zaria,have no functioning factories, but the many schools there help the city to survive.

14 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by LordMecuzy(m): 8:42am On May 25, 2015
hmmm
Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:55am On May 25, 2015
Ndi? Cc: Truckpusher, Barcanista and Dearpreye.

6 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by harthonder(m): 9:08am On May 25, 2015
Do U Just Wake Up From Ur Slumber?

3 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Nobody: 9:09am On May 25, 2015
“Despite being one of the largest producers of oil in this country, the Ijaw have suffered marginalisation and infrastructural neglect. More than 90 per cent of the communities have yet to be connected with network of roads. Linkage to the national grid for electricity is still a dream.”
People like Elder Orubebe should understand that Ijaw people are no fools. YES, we are fighting to end the fraudulent system that disfavors us but it doesn't mean we are blind to see other of our problems. Orubebe Sir, how many road network did you build as Minister of State for Niger Delta Affair (2008-2010) and Minister of Niger Delta Affair 2010-2014? Please, relax where you are and stop preaching "marginalisation". You were in government, you had the power to push then end of it but because of your own interest you remained like all is well.

@Topic: how do you expect us to fish when our waters have been polluted and fishes are going extinct? We shall continue to advocate for what is ours and end to marginalisation. If the State want us to fish, then they have to backoff from our waters so we can fish.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by rexbuton: 9:22am On May 25, 2015
barcanista where are you from/?
Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Nobody: 9:24am On May 25, 2015
From Okrika, Rivers state... And you?
rexbuton:
barcanista where are you from/?

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by AhmedMustapha(m): 9:25am On May 25, 2015
Orubebe should lead the way.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by SkyBlue1: 9:31am On May 25, 2015
barcanista:
People like Elder Orubebe should understand that Ijaw people are no fools. YES, we are fighting to end the fraudulent system that disfavors us but it doesn't mean we are blind to see other of our problems. Orubebe Sir, how many road network did you build as Minister of State for Niger Delta Affair (2008-2010) and Minister of Niger Delta Affair 2010-2014? Please, relax where you are and stop preaching "marginalisation". You were in government, you had the power to push then end of it but because of your own interest you remained like all is well.

@Topic: how do you expect us to fish when our waters have been polluted and fishes are going extinct? We shall continue to advocate for what is ours and end to marginalisation. If the State want us to fish, then they have to backoff from our waters so we can fish.

The first thing you have EVER EVER said that made sense. Maybe it was an accident, maybe there is hope I don't know. I just wish you had cast that same lens of objectivity over Jonathan himself and ask him what his administration did for the region or Nigeria in general apart from his wife fighting with governors.

37 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by omenka(m): 9:36am On May 25, 2015
Foolish man. Why cant he go do the fishing alone with his family?? Has he ever caught a fish in his life??

I wonder how they intend to do the fishing with the pollution of their water bodies as a result of illegal activities of hustlers in the creeks, not to mention the blowing up of pipelines by their sons and daughters who think by so doing, they hurt the Nigerian state resulting on unimaginable environmental degradation and pollution.

And to think this was the same idiat that almost cost us our country. angry

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by omenka(m): 9:41am On May 25, 2015
HungerBAD:
And while they are out there fishing, they should not forget to buy toothbrush. All the Ijaw people i have met seems to have funny mouth smell.
Na wa oo. What manner of idiotic comment is this

13 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by rexbuton: 9:42am On May 25, 2015
barcanista:
From Okrika, Rivers state... And you?
Ovia, Edo state
Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by coputa(m): 9:42am On May 25, 2015
So those Ijaws that went for training abroad will end up as fishermen,no thanks to orubebe and kuku.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Nobody: 9:43am On May 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

The first thing you have EVER EVER said that made sense. Maybe it was an accident, maybe there is hope I don't know. I just wish you had cast that same lens of objectivity over Jonathan himself and ask him what his administration did for the region or Nigeria in general apart from his wife fighting with governors.
My position on Jonathan has been very clear with respect to his performance or otherwise in office.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by SkyBlue1: 9:50am On May 25, 2015
barcanista:
My position on Jonathan has been very clear with respect to his performance or otherwise in office.

For someone who it hasn't been clear to, then why the dogmatic defence and insistence of his continuation in power pre-election even in the face of evidence of corruption, impunity and poor performance?

15 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by truefact: 9:56am On May 25, 2015
Wow...where is their oil wells? This is ironic, someone who has oil wells fishing. ..Ooh I forgot the Igbos have stole them LOL... keep on loving your enemies who sees you as trophy, spoils of war. .. Well, you have always been a trophy. ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Nobody: 9:57am On May 25, 2015
rexbuton:

Ovia, Edo state
Nice to meet you my bros.. grin
Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by rexbuton: 9:59am On May 25, 2015
the pleasure is mine
barcanista:
Nice to meet you my bros.. grin
Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Nobody: 10:04am On May 25, 2015
Point of Correction Sir, I wasn't dogmatic with respect to GEJ. I lost confidence in the alternative with respect to their plans and sincerity.
SkyBlue1:

For someone who it hasn't been clear to, then why the dogmatic defence and insistence of his continuation in power pre-election even in the face of evidence of corruption, impunity and poor performance?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by SkyBlue1: 10:07am On May 25, 2015
barcanista:
Point of Correction Sir, I wasn't dogmatic with respect to GEJ. I lost confidence in the alternative with respect to their plans and sincerity.

So you thought it was better to continue with the same failed president and failed party of the past 16 years than giving an alternative group a chance? Anyway, everyone is entitled to their choice, I was just curious because the logic you espoused in your criticism of Orubebe now, seemed non-existent before.

23 Likes

Re: Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe by Chiaka(f): 10:08am On May 25, 2015
No more fish in Rivers! The waters have been populated by oil activities. Even the air is not conducive!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Another Civil War Will Lead To The End Of Nigeria; Setting The Records Straight. / Edward Onoja Replies Trolls On Facebook / Tinubu Did Not Assist Me Into Becoming APC National Chairman – Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.