Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,488 members, 7,812,513 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience (25502 Views)

Uma Ukpai Polytechnic Massive Job Recruitment 2017 (academic & Non-academic) / Legacy Polytechnic Non Academic Recruitment (10 Positions) / The Federal Polytechnic Of Oil And Gas,Bonny Recruitment 2015 (over 50) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by sanandreas(m): 11:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
frenzymirakk:

I disagree wit u practically on dis assertion, I graduated from the polytechnic and jst an ND holder presently.when it comes to management courses I dont object but practical courses like mass comm which apns to b my field of study then u ar makin a big mistake. Am howeva tryn to opt for a Uni degree in a managemnt course but still hope to complete my HND in mass communication. Ask me for exampls and i wll giv u many.

Smiles. I didn't do any course relating to management. I am sorry.

h
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by AreaFada2: 11:36pm On Jul 10, 2015
Thavybe:
I vehemently disagree with that statement.

The country's educational system is poor but majority will agree that polytechnics are far worse than universities.

Accounting graduates from Auchi Poly, KadPoly, The Poly Ibadan and others are reputed to be very good. More practice-focussed.

I believe Polys should leave courses like management/Business to universities and concentrate on engineering and other technical courses.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by seun005: 11:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
Oooops:
This thread is dedicated to all polytechnic graduates who took the pains to go to school for 4,5 and or 6years.
Mine was that some weeks ago, I applied for a job with stanbic pensions and was told they don't take HND. .. Just BSC. I felt bad but moved on. I knew that wasn't mine and simply told my Bsc friend to apply and he was taken. Thank God the space wasn't a waste.
Please let's share our experiences and hope some day thing's will change for the better.

well, after all said and done! I dnt really think der is any major descrimination btw bsc & hnd cos
both degree/diploma serves diff purposes. it just unfortunate dt here in naija right things ar been
done d wrong way.....even at d top level sef.
normally, polytechnic is meant for techical (practicals) students......while university is more of
theories.
funny enuf you will even find more business management students in a polytechnic dan
engineering students.......Also in universities, there is university of technology/university of
agriculture etc, bt its funny when u see a student studying accounting in a university of
agriculture.
in conclusion, as a polytechnic student wht ar u looking for in a bank, also as a normal university
graduate, u are nt to look for job in a technical functioning company. bt its a pity dat it is all
dilluted and that's y we kip using d word discrimination, afterall der is polytechnics too abroad.
but d buttom line is it nt a function of where u are bt who u are...........if u r good u cn work
anyway.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by kuchikau: 11:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
Poly student r university rejected candidates for admission

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Kjking(m): 11:44pm On Jul 10, 2015
Well this is what I have to say on the matter having viewed peoples comment.... I'm a university undergraduate.... when it comes to practical courses a good polytechnic student will definitely beat a uni student but when it come to managerial courses a good uni student stands out...
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by kuchikau: 11:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
There is no short cut to education..simply go to the university...besides foriegn scholarship group dont even recongnise poly not to talk of its student
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by xcesswag(m): 11:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
ogashman:
I'm a poly graduate n I dare all these ppl saying university grads re better.you re no match to an average poly graduate in all ramifications.
skibo are u kidding me.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by olubenjazzy(m): 11:49pm On Jul 10, 2015
U sound like u don't know how d game is outta there. The bank u are talking abt wanna pay less was why they chose to employ HND holders as at dat period. So its still abt d descrimination. #am pround tto be a polyte (not yet grad tho!)

kingslly:
I dont think anyone is discriminating against anyone, it all boils down to how we percieve things,i've applied for a job with a bank some time ago and was told they only want pple with HND, i didnt see it as discrimination because thats what they want at that particular time. OP am sure nobody prevented you from getting a University Degree and sure u knew u will be getting a HND cert after graduation before applying for admission in your school.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by mkoabiola: 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
Even for NL,dem discriminate
Most uni graduates blv poly graduates writes poorly on NL, what a bad omen and shallow mentality.

3 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Giitheon(m): 11:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
I am presently in my Nd1 @ Auchipolytechnic.To save myself from any future discrimination,i sat for dis yrs ume...waiting for d pume form nw.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by fineyemi(m): 11:56pm On Jul 10, 2015
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by irsakant: 11:56pm On Jul 10, 2015
Technically, they are not the same. If not, the private and public sectors would not create bias between the two. University system has very advanced man-powers such as professors and research-based academic fields compared its polytechnic counterpart. This is one of the reasons amongst others.

And why they usually ask for HND against BSC (outside technical fields) is, arguably, because the former would be downsized in terms of remuneration against the latter that would expect higher pay which some organisations are trying to reduce cost to maximize profits.

(You may reach me via BBpin: 270BA5B1 if would want CV review for free)
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jul 10, 2015
There are basically 3 things a graduate must posses whether Bsc or Hnd:

1. Knowledge in his field of study: You must be able to defend your result. so many graduates today can't pass an ordinary aptitude test or deliver when employed cause they sort their way out or cram all their days in school and dont know anything. when they are asked about their profession, it sound like French to them.

2. Knowledge in other fields: Being able to expose your self to other field and not just your field of study is a huge advantage and makes it easier to get a job when looking for one. one reason I love Mechanical engineering students, they understand What am talking about.

3. Sanity and be well informed. Then when God presents an opportunity you won't mess it up with your own hands.

#ProudlyPolyGraduate

#ProudlyAnAccountant
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
AreaFada2:

Accounting graduates from Auchi Poly, KadPoly, The Poly Ibadan and others are reputed to be very good. More practice-focussed.

I believe Polys should leave courses like management/Business to universities and concentrate on engineering and other technical courses.
Probably, you know a few good ones from the above polytechnics you mentioned but it is wrong to generalize by saying polytechnic students are better than university students in accounting, that is a fallacy of hasty generalization.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by guente02(m): 12:08am On Jul 11, 2015
Here to read and understand the state of things with regard to the subject and Learn.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by toluxa1(m): 12:09am On Jul 11, 2015
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 12:09am On Jul 11, 2015
Poly......... Jamb
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by kennytidistar(m): 12:10am On Jul 11, 2015
Just depends on the organization, it's has to do with individual organizational policy, if stanbic and zenith do not accept hnd eco, Skye, Sterling and first bank accept, except you have a covenant to serve in a particular organization, expand your horizon and make good use of what you have, life goes beyond getting a salary scale job. what are the chances that if you have the bsc it will give you job? stop living in fallacy, many bsc holders are better entrepreneur because they couldn't get a job, same applies to hnd holder, many disappeared into the thin air to seek greener pasture abroad, is not by your certificate, it's by your head/brain open it and explore unlimited opportunities staring at you.

3 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by histemple: 12:31am On Jul 11, 2015
Oyetboy:
since may 5, no one commented on this thread, until it made frontpage, hmm even nl sef dey victimize hnd holders

This post actually made FP by error because we have treated this same topic extensively and exhaustively too. It is obvious some people just jump into any available school without knowing what the institution stands for. That on its own is a form of illiteracy. How can a human being call himself a graduate without understanding the purpose of his institution only to lament spending the same 4 years with a university graduate but treated differently because he attended polytechnic.
Is it not the same 4 years that an NCE holder spent? Will it not sound ridiculous for an NCE holder to lament being victimized when HND is preferred in employment. The OP should go and research the rationale behind the establishment of Monotechnics, Polytechnics, College of Education and Universities.

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by udemzyudex(m): 12:31am On Jul 11, 2015
pointzero30:
my broda sorry but I want to let u kn dat hnd and bsc are never the same despite d noba of years. u got higher diploma n nt bachelors degree. there were universities n u chose poly. d cut of mark are never d same. my dear pple should stop applying to poly n wait till they are admitted. so many pple v applied this year bearing in mind of this discrimination later dey complain. anyways dey are easily taken in banks. stop applying or live with the stigma. thks oops dorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
just go to bed if you got nothing reasonable to post... Iranu
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by AreaFada2: 12:35am On Jul 11, 2015
Thavybe:
Probably, you know a few good ones from the above polytechnics you mentioned but it is wrong to generalize by saying polytechnic students are better than university students in accounting, that is a fallacy of hasty generalization.

Well, you misread what I wrote.

I said "Poly teach it better". It's up to the student to learn. On the average, poly students have been praised for their application of knowledge, even in engineering, while the university students might be very good in theory. It's no surprise. The polys were given a mandate to train middle tier cadre of workers/technicians for our industries. Only that the industries never came.

Poly managements soon figured out that running arts/economics based courses is far cheaper. Arts and social science students are more in number anyway, right from secondary school.

I have a cousin who studied computer science for good three years at a reputable Federal university but had never been to a computer lab and never even touched a keyboard. grin cheesy.

Yes, it was in the early 1990s but still. He left to continue studies abroad.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by udemzyudex(m): 12:35am On Jul 11, 2015
histemple:

This post actually made FP by error because we have treated this same topic extensively and exhaustively too. It is obvious some people just jump into any available school without knowing what the institution stands for. That on its own is a form of illiteracy. How can a human being call himself a graduate without understanding the purpose of his institution only to lament spending the same 4 years with a university graduate but treated differently because he attended polytechnic.
Is it not the same 4 years that an NCE holder spent? Will it not sound ridiculous for an NCE holder to lament being victimized when HND is preferred in employment. The OP should go and research the rationale behind the establishment of Monotechnics, Polytechnics, College of Education and Universities.

I want you to enlighten me miss, why are both institutions offering the same course such as Accountancy, business administration etc when they both serve different purpose?

Now is it the fault of the student or the useless Educational system we have in this country?
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by LuckyLadolce(m): 12:47am On Jul 11, 2015
sanandreas:
They have a long way to go. The few ones I have interacted with are not sound academically. Not all anyway . I know of a guy from yabatech, he is good.
in my bank, we recruits both B.sc and Hnd. When we were called for training after passing the test, I can still remember very well that we were asked to write job application letter on the day we were passing out from the training school. My brother, I helped five of my colleagues who are B.sc holders to write the letter and each of them got different one. This is not to say their brains are dead. Its jst that they might be frightened at that particular moment. Mean while, am jst an ordinary HND holder as u ppl with shallow minds call it. Lemme ask u, how do u even identify ppl who r academically sound? Jst by their spoken of English? Stop this selfish lifestyle, it doesn't pay. Jst because some of u are privileged to have attended university doesn't guarantee u a success. Success is a different pace on its own and it comes from God. Stop seeing urself bigger than HND holders, some of them can even help ur life and make you more bigger than u r. Don't think u have arrived, u r still a very young man and u still av a very far and long way to go too hun!!. God bless you.

6 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by LuckyLadolce(m): 12:57am On Jul 11, 2015
Giitheon:
I am presently in my Nd1 @ Auchipolytechnic.To save myself from any future discrimination,i sat for dis yrs ume...waiting for d pume form nw.
Only God can save u. U can't be smart enough.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by GboyegaD(m): 12:58am On Jul 11, 2015
Oooops:
This thread is dedicated to all polytechnic graduates who took the pains to go to school for 4,5 and or 6years.
Mine was that some weeks ago, I applied for a job with stanbic pensions and was told they don't take HND. .. Just BSC. I felt bad but moved on. I knew that wasn't mine and simply told my Bsc friend to apply and he was taken. Thank God the space wasn't a waste.
Please let's share our experiences and hope some day thing's will change for the better.

Glad you have a good heart. Satanic used to hire HND holders back then however, you must have ICAN as well.wish you the very best in your pursuits to excellence.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by ayokunlei(m): 1:05am On Jul 11, 2015
Sijo01:
Am not a poly graduate ; just here to read bitter experiences. embarassed

you are also here to mock
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by chyna4luv: 1:13am On Jul 11, 2015
Oooops:

I know how you feel. please confirm when you applied for pension that you were turned down because I know people who are working with the institution you talked about with HND..

in fact, I am one of them working with the institution with my cool HND for 1 year plus now.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by histemple: 1:55am On Jul 11, 2015
udemzyudex:

I want you to enlighten me miss, why are both institutions offering the same course such as Accountancy, business administration etc when they both serve different purpose?

Now is it the fault of the student or the useless Educational system we have in this country?

The choice of school to attend should be the prerogative of the individual in tandem with his/her set goals in life but when such graduate begins to lament about certain perceived victimisation, there may be need to suggest honest ignorance or oversight on the part of the fellow.
Let me help you a little. Colleges of Education are designed to produce professionals for the teaching profession, Polytechnics are designed to produce experts for technical support like field technicians while the Universities are designed to produce professionals with the theoretical knowledge to manage the technicians and others.
This is not peculiar to Nigeria or Africa but the world over and it doesn't suggest that one is superior as they serve different purposes. It's regrettable that we lack suffucient employment opportunities and we sometimes confuse ourselves with regards to these classification. Based on their specificities, you shouldn't teach or lecture if you don't have a degree in education or at least an NCE, you are not supposed to be a field technician if you are not a polytechnic trained graduate. I am sure you will notice that all these institutions have some courses in common like English, Native language, Engineering etc but it doesn't necessitate serving the same purpose.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by ifedolapo57(m): 1:56am On Jul 11, 2015
Like now, I already have my OND in civil engr........ Waiting for unilag post jamb form to be out. I have 212 in JAMB
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 2:34am On Jul 11, 2015
Owliver:
lol good though.... i did two post ume in unilorin and uniben and i passed both but wasnt taken had to take poly jamb and now am serving. I saw a bit of discrimination during my it in a bank but am not discouraged. What we make out of our predicaments is what matters not the predicament hehe. There are illitrates who are millionairs.
You weren't adnitted because you did not meet the cut off score... simple as ABC. You now decided to go the easy route: Applied to poly since it has easier entry requirements. So don't complain about the discrimination you are currently experiencing. It's also not or never too late. I am sure you have heard of Direct entry. The most attractable candidate is one with poly diploma and degree certificate.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by ayokunlei(m): 3:23am On Jul 11, 2015
LuckyLadolce:
in my bank, we recruits both B.sc and Hnd. When we were called for training after passing the test, I can still remember very well that we were asked to write job application letter on the day we were passing out from the training school. My brother, I helped five of my colleagues who are B.sc holders to write the letter and each of them got different one. This is not to say their brains are dead. Its jst that they might be frightened at that particular moment. Mean while, am jst an ordinary HND holder as u ppl with shallow minds call it. Lemme ask u, how do u even identify ppl who r academically sound? Jst by their spoken of English? Stop this selfish lifestyle, it doesn't pay. Jst because some of u are privileged to have attended university doesn't guarantee u a success. Success is a different pace on its own and it comes from God. Stop seeing urself bigger than HND holders, some of them can even help ur life and make you more bigger than u r. Don't think u have arrived, u r still a very young man and u still av a very far and long way to go too hun!!. God bless you.

yes, you have a point. Its vice-versa, which also means Uni graduates have helped their friends do so many things b4.
Besides, I have noticed this ' Poly students are better than Uni graduates academically on so many occassions. Some Polites wd say, They do help thier mates from Uni to write project, do assignment, this and that...write letters like you just said. Oga Boss, its vice versa.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by ayokunlei(m): 3:30am On Jul 11, 2015
saxywale:

You weren't adnitted because you did not meet the cut off score... simple as ABC. You now decided to go the easy route: Applied to poly since it has easier entry requirements. So don't complain about the discrimination you are currently experiencing. It's also not or never too late. I am sure you have heard of Direct entry. The most attractable candidate is one with poly diploma and degree certificate.

oga , not everyone that pass post ume will be admitted into a particular institution, polytechnics inclusive. Most schools dont have the space to admit all those that passed their test. I believe you know this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Factory Work Na Hell On Earth. I Just Know Today / 5 Jobs That Most Nigerian Girls Are Easily Involved In / The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.