Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,405 members, 7,812,197 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience (25498 Views)

Uma Ukpai Polytechnic Massive Job Recruitment 2017 (academic & Non-academic) / Legacy Polytechnic Non Academic Recruitment (10 Positions) / The Federal Polytechnic Of Oil And Gas,Bonny Recruitment 2015 (over 50) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by AreaFada2: 7:24am On Jul 11, 2015
Donpizzle:

B.tech u re funny. Do u knw hw difficult it is to get B.tech. Incase u dnt knw, B:tech is used by FEDERAL UNIVERSITY of TECHNOLOGY nationwide. We spend extra year in school to get dat b.tech. For instance; studyin mathematics in other schools is 4yrs while in technology schools we spend 5yrs. In otherwords,respect dat honour and knw dat it cant b used for polytechnic. Thanks
I went to an Ivy league (Russell Group) university in UK. Only in Nigeria is emphasis on 'difficulty' not on what you actually learn or preparation for real life out there. Why should BTech even take 5 years? I do not see the ground breaking inventions of the graduates. cheesy Focus should not be on honour or respect, it should be on finding a solution that brings near parity in curriculum and grade to make it fair to all.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Escobapablo(m): 7:25am On Jul 11, 2015
kingslly:
I dont think anyone is discriminating against anyone, it all boils down to how we percieve things,i've applied for a job with a bank some time ago and was told they only want pple with HND, i didnt see it as discrimination because thats what they want at that particular time. OP am sure nobody prevented you from getting a University Degree and sure u knew u will be getting a HND cert after graduation before applying for admission in your school.
bros i think there is discrimination there. Like u said, i choosed to go to then polycal cos their accountancy was better than unical, which i also had admission to study. Time did not allow me to run both at d same time. Those who were very aware of these problems went back to get a bsc of cos. Frankly bsc holders r not better, at least from accounting point of view. Its just d way our educational policies hv turned to be. Might not b anybody's fault. I also know that poly grduates tend to b interested in ICAN earlier than uni. I am using my Hnd Too, of cos i hv added two more degrees bt blive me , it doesnt mk any difference.(maybe where i work)
However, those with hnd, i will urge u not to relent, God designed ur part for u, He feeds d birds in d sky, He will not let u hunger. Know ur self , know ur worth. Dont let any system tell u u r second best. I am in an oil firm n till date only human resources remember i hv HND. D sky is still ur limit if ur know ur worth. U r not second best to no one. They r very many bank managers n bank bods who r hnd holders n supporting this loophole in our educational system. Its just a fault, it will not b corrected soon bt like someone said, u r not second best. If it entels getting a bsc even at 40, do just that. U will b surprised u will reach d promise land while they r still figuring how to cross d red sea.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by LuckyLadolce(m): 7:27am On Jul 11, 2015
Giitheon:
"u can't be smart" what do u call dat? Just because i said dat here doesn't make it ur concern.
the problem to comprehend simple english... not u can't be smart, it was*u can't be smart enough* hun undecided I don't get, it's not my concern? Do u realise this is a public place, or do u think the *quote* option is jst there for deco? the last time I checked, nairaland was not ur private flat. O boy, u've got the option to read jst comments and waka pass if u don't want ppl to quote u hun? Anyway, if that's how better u can understand my English. Accept my apology.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Raalsalghul: 7:29am On Jul 11, 2015
ogashman:
I'm a poly graduate n I dare all these ppl saying university grads re better.you re no match to an average poly graduate in all ramifications.
Come on! You are committing the same fallacy as them: generalising from a particular. It is very wrong for people to say university graduates are better than polytechnic's and vice versa. It will make more sense if you put it this way: Some university graduates are better than some polytechnic's and some polytechnic graduates are better than some university's. There are no absolutes in this case, even though you might have seen some evidence to support your opinion: those evidence does not represent the entire population.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by NezoLee19: 7:30am On Jul 11, 2015
As a poly student, when I see the exam questions given to university students I shake my head and laugh. so easy
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by k00lxpert(m): 7:31am On Jul 11, 2015
HND/BSC ISSUES IS ANNOYING. IN D SAME OFICE DOIOG SAME JOB, A BSC HOLDER IS BEING PAID 10K HIGHER DAN ME. AND D BOSS TOLD ME DAT, DAT'S D WAY IT HAS BEEN SINCE, EVEN IF I HAV A BETTER HND GRADE. IT'S SOMEHOW SAD, I KNW SOMTIN IS GOING 2 BE DONE ABT IT SOON BY D FGN
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Raalsalghul: 7:35am On Jul 11, 2015
debeey87:
Remembered when a girl said she cant date a Polytechnic graduate cheesy....Not funny right?

I graduated from a Polytechnic and I can say I am doing well for myself by the grace of God. Definitely, discrimination abound in the organization where I work between Polytechnic graduates and university grads but that hasn't dampened my morale of getting a degree. Pay package is different as well as career path for both.

My advise to graduates from Polytechnic, whatever the class of credit you graduate with, you still stand a chance of securing a white collar job but bear in mind that you wont be rated at par with your university counter part in the workplace, so the earlier you understand that the better for you as you will save your self a lot of hatred undecided for your co-worker.

Be the master of your game, that way you can beat your university counterpart to it even if you don't have a degree. Be smart, skillful, tactful and be the best at what you do.

Above all, acquire more qualifications if you have the wherewithal as this will help your progression in whatever career path you have chosen to pursue.

Like I tell people, a university degree/polytechnic diploma isn't a passport to a successful life but

Education + God + Intelligence + Skillfulness + ........ a lot more = Success

Am a FedPofite, and a proud one at that.

God Bless Nigeria
Best comment so far.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by babyfaceafrica: 7:44am On Jul 11, 2015
Even university graduates are facing this same discrimination been complained about,some companies prefer certain federal universities to state ownded univesities and private universities...either you believe it or not..the top 5 federal universities are usually given special consideration by employers during job vacancies,the likes of. UNILAG,UI,OAU,UNILORIN and UNN especially if you have 2.1 and above....my take is your certificate does not make you..do your best and leave thhe rest to God.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Owliver(m): 7:50am On Jul 11, 2015
saxywale:

You weren't adnitted because you did not meet the cut off score... simple as ABC. You now decided to go the easy route: Applied to poly since it has easier entry requirements. So don't complain about the discrimination you are currently experiencing. It's also not or never too late. I am sure you have heard of Direct entry. The most attractable candidate is one with poly diploma and degree certificate.
i passed them dont just assume mr man. I saw people i did better than got admitted into uniben because they paid 80k and my dad couldnt afford that at that time. My friend whom we wrote unilorin together i did better than him but he was admitted cos his uncle working in the school assisted him.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by curiouses: 7:59am On Jul 11, 2015
mkoabiola:
Even for NL,dem discriminate
Most uni graduates blv poly graduates writes poorly on NL, what a bad omen and shallow mentality.

One of the best writers here on NL, Maclatunji is an HND holder. So your assertion may not be entirely true.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by tallfish145(m): 8:06am On Jul 11, 2015
HND or BSc,where is the job sef? No matter institution attended,getting employed matters most. My friend graduated from the University of ..... since three years ago but is yet to get a 20K job.Does that has anything to do wit school attended? NO!
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 11, 2015
I had a part time stint as a teacher in a renowned Federal Polytechnic. I also had this misconception about polytechnics being lower in the strata of academic pursuits in the country but from experience i can tell u that these are all unfounded stereotypes. Most of you castigating polytechnics have never been to one before or get to know the system. Your assertions are from hearsay mongers. A polytechnic is a harvest of skills and great men great women. If the Government will restructure the system, Nigeria will be better of in the long run. Even as a university graduate, I cannot but marvel at what these guys are doing and capable of doing. Therefore enough of this discrimination, it reeks of childishness and shortsightedness .

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Futurecrown(m): 8:13am On Jul 11, 2015
Owliver:
i passed them dont just assume mr man. I saw people i did better than got admitted into uniben because they paid 80k and my dad couldnt afford that at that time. My friend whom we wrote unilorin together i did better than him but he was admitted cos his uncle working in the school assisted him.
Bross am a student of UNIBEN and i really understands your plight, if you score very high in the postutme they will not denied you and moreover catchment area is another yardstick in most federal universities in determine admission cuttoff point..for example, i was once a victim cos i could remember vividly during my Direct entry Exam of which i wrote three times in UNIBEN just because i want to study ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING, and am a southwesterner . I was denied the admission to my favourite course twice all thou i was given Industrial Physics and Production Engineering for the two attempt but i thought my score was low where by my friends that scored less than me got Electrical once but they are from Edo and Delta state, to cut the story shut i tried it the third time and i performed excellently. Today am a bonifide Energy conscious student of UNIBEN..Bross, my candid advice for you is to be focus cos patience, perseverance and persistence there is profit in it. The world is meant for the optimist only pessimist are spectators. I never see my self as a second fiddle since my toddler till this moment, so brother kindly be focus and crystalline your goal cos the skye is your starting point.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by mizzhoneey(f): 8:16am On Jul 11, 2015
Na now una no say 'poly' na victimization. D problem with Nigerians/human being is dat we always want to have our cake and eat it.
U write jamb... Univasity cut off na 200 dat of poly is 170... Una no complain of discrimination oooo

It is easier to get good grades in poly than university,una no complain( I used to be a poly stdnt,I neva bribed any lecturer,an average stdnt,nd I graduated as d 2nd best in my department,so,I knw wat i M sayn)

Poly stdnts re not intelligent,they re local and limited in brain resources. Most of them are jez brilliant. I don't really knw abt science stdnts bt I am 100% sure of all those social science courses. I asked like 10 of my frnds 'wat next after ond' na marriage,work all of them they shout'even guys!. Only 1 gave me a reasonable answer(mayb dats y we re still frnds. 6yrs nd still counting. Lol)

Make una no insult me 4 casting poly stdnts. Na d truth I yarn so. PERSoNALLY, as an employer,I can't employ poly stdnt until he proves beyond reasonable doubt dat he is sensible. I ve taken steps 4ward nitemi. Direct entry,pen ultimate stage of ICAN. I told myself... I DESERVE MORE THAN A POLY HAS TO OFFER
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by altisimo(m): 8:18am On Jul 11, 2015
It's not just HND that's is being discriminated against. In my office, we have HND and Bsc working as contract staff. The sure way out is for one to adequately prepare himself for relevance. Get certified in ur field. Obtain ur 2nd degree etc and c urself being preferred rather than being discriminated against.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by mizzhoneey(f): 8:20am On Jul 11, 2015
Eat your cake and have it* sowie,na vex I dey take yarn.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Owliver(m): 8:21am On Jul 11, 2015
Futurecrown:
Bross am a student of UNIBEN and i really understands your plight, if you score very high in the postutme they will not denied you and moreover catchment area is another yardstick in most federal universities in determine admission cuttoff point..for example, i was once a victim cos i could remember vividly during my Direct entry Exam of which i wrote three times in UNIBEN just because i want to study ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING, and am a southwesterner . I was denied the admission to my favourite course twice all thou i was given Industrial Physics and Production Engineering for the two attempt but i thought my score was low where by my friends that scored less than me got Electrical once but they are from Edo and Delta state, to cut the story shut i tried it the third time and i performed excellently. Today am a bonifide Energy conscious student of UNIBEN..Bross, my candid advice for you is to be focus cos patience, perseverance and persistence there is profit in it. The world is meant for the optimist only pessimist are spectators. I never see my self as a second fiddle since my toddler till this moment, so brother kindly be focus and crystalline your goal cos the skye is your starting point.
am not bothered sef. One tin about me is that if i earn 70k and you earn 200k i hardly care as long as i have my own 70k. Life is short and i hardly notice the rat race after all magot will still eat us up no discrimination there hehe. My sister is in uniben now she got 56 in pume but had to pay 80k to upgrade her score as a science student. I guess that makes her better than all poly science students lol. Its a bleeped up system. Thanks man
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Giitheon(m): 8:25am On Jul 11, 2015
LuckyLadolce:
the problem to comprehend simple english... not u can't be smart, it was*u can't be smart enough* hun undecided I don't get, it's not my concern? Do u realise this is a public place, or do u think the *quote* option is jst there for deco? the last time I checked, nairaland was not ur private flat. O boy, u've got the option to read jst comments and waka pass if u don't want ppl to quote u hun? Anyway, if that's how better u can understand my English. Accept my apology.
its ok sha....
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Owliver(m): 8:25am On Jul 11, 2015
mizzhoneey:
Na now una no say 'poly' na victimization. D problem with Nigerians/human being is dat we always want to have our cake and eat it.
U write jamb... Univasity cut off na 200 dat of poly is 170... Una no complain of discrimination oooo

It is easier to get good grades in poly than university,una no complain( I used to be a poly stdnt,I neva bribed any lecturer,an average stdnt,nd I graduated as d 2nd best in my department,so,I knw wat i M sayn)

Poly stdnts re not intelligent,they re local and limited in brain resources. Most of them are jez brilliant. I don't really knw abt science stdnts bt I am 100% sure of all those social science courses. I asked like 10 of my frnds 'wat next after ond' na marriage,work all of them they shout'even guys!. Only 1 gave me a reasonable answer(mayb dats y we re still frnds. 6yrs nd still counting. Lol)

Make una no insult me 4 casting poly stdnts. Na d truth I yarn so. PERSoNALLY, as an employer,I can't employ poly stdnt until he proves beyond reasonable doubt dat he is sensible. I ve taken steps 4ward nitemi. Direct entry,pen ultimate stage of ICAN. I told myself... I DESERVE MORE THAN A POLY HAS TO OFFER
what poly did you attend?
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Armstrong34(m): 8:27am On Jul 11, 2015
mizzhoneey:

........,yhu dnt knw wat yhu r saying... it is easy to get good grades in poly ,mayb yhu attended a private monotecnhnic
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Futurecrown(m): 8:31am On Jul 11, 2015
Owliver:
am not bothered sef. One tin about me is that if i earn 70k and you earn 200k i hardly care as long as i have my own 70k. Life is short and i hardly notice the rat race after all magot will still eat us up no discrimination there hehe. My sister is in uniben now she got 56 in pume but had to pay 80k to upgrade her score as a science student. I guess that makes her better than all poly science students lol. Its a bleeped up system. Thanks man
Thumbup Man cos the Celestial choir is your strength. I likes your courage, once again meeting you is Serendipitious.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Owliver(m): 8:34am On Jul 11, 2015
Futurecrown:
Thumbup Man cos the Celestial choir is your strength. I likes your courage, once again meeting you is Serendipitious.
lol meeting you too is serenawilliams.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Owliver(m): 8:40am On Jul 11, 2015
Armstrong34:
........,yhu dnt knw wat yhu r saying... it is easy to get good grades in poly ,mayb yhu attended a private monotecnhnic
my school a1 is 80 and exam alone is 70. The lecturer does about 5 tests, 5 assignments and take 5 attendants thats where the 30marks come from we dont even know which one he would use. Not all poly are easy man and not all universities are tough.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 11, 2015
My former boss in UAC attained the highest position you can ever think of(Full manager)with his HND in accounting(upper credit from Ado poly). Actually,government is adding more salt to the injury of all polytechnic students and graduates by not taking any measure against this discrimination.The truth is that this discrimination is uncalled for.Am a youth corps member in Ibadan.In my lodge here in ibadan,I have university graduates as colleagues and it is sad to note that only 2 out of 5 of them are sound academically.They are just too local and uncivilised. Can you imagine an Ondo state university graduate asking a question like this"how old are him and how old is they?With my ND then,I worked as an account officer in UAC for four years before going back for my HND.I trained so many university graduates on accounting job especially how to use accounting softwares for accounting work.I have to send one back to the head office because he couldn't even hold a mouse properly.To locate start key on keyboard was a problem for him let alone working on the system and the guy finished from FUTA.And there was another one who was looking for a recycle bin to restore a deleted number on a desktop phone.I even remember vividly that before getting work in UAC,I use to teach OOU and LASU students(including finalists) some courses..I even went as far as writing examination for them in exchange for cash.This discrimination ain't worth it at all and FG Should be blamed for this.B.sc or HND,owo ni koko..Lastly,at my orientation camp,it was a disgrace to see statistics graduates with B.sc who doesn't know how to use just a simple SPSS.... Proudly federal polytechnic,Ede Alumni..

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by hotwax: 8:46am On Jul 11, 2015
Im a poly guy. I have many BSC working under me. I am a programmer. Im d boss... grin grin
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by LOUIS6(m): 8:50am On Jul 11, 2015
vision2050:
Get your Bsc. @ NOUN
nou.ed.ng , no or little stress.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by DeleDaniel: 8:54am On Jul 11, 2015
If I had a business, and I need someone who can fix machines, who would I employ? Of cos the polytechnic graduate, because they are more hands on than their university counterparts, this applies to the engineering field, but if u want to study something else in a polytechnic apart from engineering, I advise you go to a university.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Futurecrown(m): 9:07am On Jul 11, 2015
Adewunmi84:
My former boss in UAC attained the highest position you can ever think of(Full manager)with his HND in accounting(upper credit from Ado poly). Actually,government is adding more salt to the injury of all polytechnic students and graduates by not taking any measure against this discrimination.The truth is that this discrimination is uncalled for.Am a youth corps member in Ibadan.In my lodge here in ibadan,I have university graduates as colleagues and it is sad to note that only 2 out of 5 of them are sound academically.They are just too local and uncivilised. Can you imagine an Ondo state university graduate asking a question like this"how old are him and how old is they?With my ND then,I worked as an account officer in UAC for four years before going back for my HND.I trained so many university graduates on accounting job especially how to use accounting softwares for accounting work.I have to send one back to the head office because he couldn't even hold a mouse properly.To locate start key on keyboard was a problem for him let alone working on the system and the guy finished from FUTA.And there was another one who was looking for a recycle bin to restore a deleted number on a desktop phone.I even remember vividly that before getting work in UAC,I use to teach OOU and LASU students(including finalists) some courses..I even went as far as writing examination for them in exchange for cash.This discrimination ain't worth it at all and FG. Should be blamed for this.B.sc or HND,owo ni koko..Lastly,at my orientation camp,it was a disgrace to see statistics graduates with B.sc who doesn't know how to use just a simple SPSS.... Proudly federal polytechnic,Ede Alumni..
kudos to you Boss, am quite envious with the power of your grammatical license without any malapropism, but let me ask you some questions? Could you believe that environment and peer group speaks volume for success and eloquency of any children? Sequel to your epistle that you meant some student in your PPA causing grammatical blunders doesnt justifes that they didnt have something upstairs, it's your potiential that matter most cos there is no monopoly of wisdom, we re just using an ecletic approach. As you proved those corps members as a local champion samething may be vice versa to you too when you meet some intellectual collosus that graduated from University too. So don't draw into conclusion that you meant some Universities grads in your vicinity that most Uni grads are academically deluded..that is an argumentum ad ingnorantum.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:15am On Jul 11, 2015
Sijo01:
just here to read bitter experiences. embarassed

Seriously.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by kado(m): 9:18am On Jul 11, 2015
ThIs discrimination starts right at the polythecnic. Do they employ HND as lecturers?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Factory Work Na Hell On Earth. I Just Know Today / 5 Jobs That Most Nigerian Girls Are Easily Involved In / Bolt Driver Or Bank Teller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.