Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,415 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience (25501 Views)

Uma Ukpai Polytechnic Massive Job Recruitment 2017 (academic & Non-academic) / Legacy Polytechnic Non Academic Recruitment (10 Positions) / The Federal Polytechnic Of Oil And Gas,Bonny Recruitment 2015 (over 50) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by seanjy4konji: 3:34am On Jul 11, 2015
we create jobs now...

Is Allah not faithful enough?
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 3:52am On Jul 11, 2015
ayokunlei:

oga , not everyone that pass post ume will be admitted into a particular institution, polytechnics inclusive. Most schools dont have the space to admit all those that passed their test. I believe you know this.
Yes... post ume still uses merit too. Score high enough and you would be admitted. I have cousins that wrote the post ume a couple of times till they got what they want and didn't go the poly route.
Don't get me wrong. I am not in support of any discrimination or whatsoever, just stating the obvious. Employers of labour are not foools, they know it's easier getting admission into polytechnics than universities. They also know that graduates receive a diploma from poly while graduates receive a degree from uni.

Also, having a diploma from a poly should not limit anyone. I have met owners of well established engineering firms both in Nigeria and overseas. This owners do not have Bsc engineering, all they have is their diploma from polytechnics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Hardexx(m): 4:01am On Jul 11, 2015
take it or live it Bsc is not equivalent to HND in any way

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by TBD(m): 4:27am On Jul 11, 2015
Eyah sorry my brother it was not mean for you but a man with good heart like will surely find help from God!
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by kenrish2(m): 4:30am On Jul 11, 2015
M a bsc holder, n niaja ur certificate is useless unless u are conected, stanbic pension wll nt pay more than 5ok and u wll transport 2ok nt mentioning d lagos stress involved, bt a weldar makes dat amount n days b4 going to d uversity have a backup plan learn a handwork first, datx wat i did afta graduatn an today am okay, because afta ur nysc datx wen u face reality
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Qyubee(m): 4:54am On Jul 11, 2015
A lot of guys here acting like if u have HND u shd b sorry for ursef. Its a thing of d mind, I know a lot of BSC guys am better than, intellectually and on d job and am still upgrading masef as m now on my masters program. So it boils down to d individual and d stuff u're made of. Have a positive mindset abt life, we're in Nigeria, nothing comes easy even for the so called BSC graduates. Have an endless desire to improve ursef...and d sky is ur limit. I know a friend who has HND and hes now on his PhD program, Hes in management and bossing BSC graduates.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Gentlesoul96(m): 5:12am On Jul 11, 2015
[quote author=DICKtator post=35722953]I sincerely don't know what to type
I just liked your post for no reason!!
Oooops!!!! I did it again!!!
Perhaps you should write a petition to the President?
Even if he cannot read it, his VeePee is learned!!!

No to discrimination!!!!

grin grin grin grin[Tanx God u said u dnt knw wat to type earlier.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by peteruuu(m): 5:14am On Jul 11, 2015
whether na B.SC or HND

Owo ni koko
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by mjbaba: 5:23am On Jul 11, 2015
Well, let me share my experience on this. First all, I'm a polytechnic graduate from Kaduna Polytechnic. My advise is that whatever u do, polytechnic or university, make the best out of it. Get out of sch with the best grade you can. It greatly increases your chances in the employment market.
Second, accept that life is all about choices. You chose to graduate from a polytechnic. Even if it was a second choice for you, it's your choice nonetheless. Even as a teenager almost 19 years ago when I started my polytechnic sojourn, I knew polys were second fiddle to universities. I gave it my best. Finished ND with Upper Crédit and HND with a Distinction. Served immediately and d next level of choices began. I turned down an offer of employment as an instructor with my school. (note, even your institution discrimates against its own products. Lol. HNDs are employed as Instructors while Uni grads, as Lecturer 2 or so. Can't remember) anyways I went for employment by a bank. I was taken alongside university grads and I experienced d discrimination. While they were started on about 73k salary, we were started on 45k. It wasn't funny but I refused to allow it weigh me down. I learnt all I could, worked well. Never made myself appear inferior in front of them and you would never catch me lamenting about the discrimination. Rather than lament, I channeled my focus on my next big choice- where to move to, where I would not be discriminated against. I started researching. Among d big banks, which of them take HNDs on the same level as BSC and I tell u, there are more of them who do that, than those who don't. I picked three - intercontinental, oceanic and Firstbank. I started applying to these banks but as God would do it, I ended up in a bank I never knew would not discriminate against my grade. Zenith bank. Because of my distinction, I was taken as a core staff and that was the end of the discrimination. It has lasted just a little over a year. Several of my friends who had upper credit also joined the likes of oceanic, first bank, union bank, wema bank, first antlantic, UBA etc without being discriminated against.
Once in, I was rapidly promoted and would later port to Oceanic bank before quiting banking when I turned 32 to set up my own company which had always been what I wanted. I currently employ 10 university graduates.
Note that in the banks I worked, on several ocassions, I was selected over university graduates on the same grade as me; to head units and just 4 years into my career, I was an Operations Manager.
So, bottomline, stop lamenting. Stay focused on achieving the best with your HND, make your choices right. Look in the direction of organisations that would not discriminate against you, obtain additional qualifications along the line and never see yourself as inferior.

Finally, finally...whether BSC or HND...don't see paid employment as the ultimate objective. You won't get rich on that ish.. it may not be now, but plan on being your own boss in future. There is nothing like it. We are blessed to be Nigerians. This country has opportunities. We have the market, we have the population..identify a product or service that is in need, provide that product or service to where it is needed and you're there!

13 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 11, 2015
Qyubee:
A lot of guys here acting like if u have HND u shd b sorry for ursef. Its a thing of d mind, I know a lot of BSC guys am better than, intellectually and on d job and am still upgrading masef as m now on my masters program. So it boils down to d individual and d stuff u're made of. Have a positive mindset abt life, we're in Nigeria, nothing comes easy even for the so called BSC graduates. Have an endless desire to improve ursef...and d sky is ur limit. I know a friend who has HND and hes now on his PhD program, Hes in management and bossing BSC graduates.
what uni are you havin your msc in?
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Qyubee(m): 5:25am On Jul 11, 2015
bjhaid:
what uni are you havin your msc in?
Unilorin
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Goldpeas(m): 5:36am On Jul 11, 2015
pointzero30:
my broda sorry but I want to let u kn dat hnd and bsc are never the same despite d noba of years. u got higher diploma n nt bachelors degree. there were universities n u chose poly. d cut of mark are never d same. my dear pple should stop applying to poly n wait till they are admitted. so many pple v applied this year bearing in mind of this discrimination later dey complain. anyways dey are easily taken in banks. stop applying or live with the stigma. thks oops dorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Where do you com from?

the difference between HND and BSC is. the cut off mark? like requirements of entry is. What should differentiate them?
is Nigeria better than most country that regards HND without discrimination??

you better grow up and learn how to construct a logical response to question.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Basit99(m): 5:39am On Jul 11, 2015
The descrimination is too much in my office accounting bsc holder is suprior to accounting hnd wit ican. vry bad
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Felaak47(m): 6:03am On Jul 11, 2015
I will comment when ever I secure a job coolI will comment when ever I secure a job
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by possibilita(m): 6:06am On Jul 11, 2015
Ebig22:
Bsc and hnd are not the same, two are same type,of car that run on different engine
nobody asked if Bsc na prado jeep or HND na mecedes so shut up if u have nothing to say.

@op take heart let's try and send some bad message to our govts and see their reaction.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Sijo01(f): 6:19am On Jul 11, 2015
ayokunlei:

you are also here to mock

Far from it bro.

saintandsinnerz:

Who asked if you are a poly graduate or not? Talking as if you are better than them

Why do you sound so pained
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Giitheon(m): 6:37am On Jul 11, 2015
LuckyLadolce:
Only God can save u. U can't be smart enough.
And what is dat suppose to mean? your idiosyncracy is different from mine...you are right only God can save...pls lets respect ourselevs...
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by ferguson17(m): 6:42am On Jul 11, 2015
this so absurd why the discrimination Chai There is GOD ooooo
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 11, 2015
kuchikau:
Poly student r university rejected candidates for admission
u don't have to be rude becos u think u have something other people were not fortunate to have, remember your best clothes is someone's rag else's where.also remember say hand we read 12 o clock must surely read 6 o clock. learn to proudless no offence.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by LuckyLadolce(m): 6:53am On Jul 11, 2015
Giitheon:
And what is dat suppose to mean? your idiosyncracy is different from mine...you are right only God can save...pls lets respect ourselevs...
in what way have I disrespected u sir? Mr vocabulary.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 11, 2015
Fola Adeola, GTB founder, is an HND holder

Taiwo Oyedele, youngest partner in PwC Nigeria, is an HND holder.

Don't be discouraged.

But I confess the dichotomy is real and won't advise anyone (that plans to go for paid job post-school) to opt for Polytechnic except he couldn't get Uni at all and he must attend higher institution.

That doesn't mean Poly grads are not smart. A good number of them are. In fact, one of the smartest persons I have ever worked with, one of my partners at JarusHub, holds an HND.

3 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Donpizzle(m): 6:59am On Jul 11, 2015
AreaFada2:
This is not a joke anymore.

HND should be scrapped and replaced with a BTech to make it equivalent to BSc. Even if takes 5 years to get it.

I feel sorry for poly friends.

One more reason my cousin should go to university even though polys actually teach accounting better than most universities.

B.tech u re funny. Do u knw hw difficult it is to get B.tech. Incase u dnt knw, B:tech is used by FEDERAL UNIVERSITY of TECHNOLOGY nationwide. We spend extra year in school to get dat b.tech. For instance; studyin mathematics in other schools is 4yrs while in technology schools we spend 5yrs. In otherwords,respect dat honour and knw dat it cant b used for polytechnic. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Blazingsun: 7:02am On Jul 11, 2015
kingslly:
I dont think anyone is discriminating against anyone, it all boils down to how we percieve things,i've applied for a job with a bank some time ago and was told they only want pple with HND, i didnt see it as discrimination because thats what they want at that particular time. OP am sure nobody prevented you from getting a University Degree and sure u knew u will be getting a HND cert after graduation before applying for admission in your school.

Sometimes just think again before typing...............be sensitive to the feelings of others............it is called empathy............ if Polytechnics are not acceptable then they should be scrapped like a nairalander said, relocate to a foreign country and you will understand what it means to be treated like a second class citizen.......................... They only want people with HND because they want them on contract
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Giitheon(m): 7:04am On Jul 11, 2015
LuckyLadolce:
in what way have I disrespected u sir? Mr vocabulary.
"u can't be smart" what do u call dat? Just because i said dat here doesn't make it ur concern.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by spencekat(m): 7:05am On Jul 11, 2015
phyllosilicate:
My younger brother got 180 in Jamb last year and was saying he want to go to poly. I told him no way, either University or nothing and even the University he MUST graduate with 2:1. He used the year to learn tailoring, he wrote the present jamb and passed very well.
By fire by force approach.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 11, 2015
mkoabiola:
Even for NL,dem discriminate
Most uni graduates blv poly graduates writes poorly on NL, what a bad omen and shallow mentality.

Lips sealed.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by stpat1(m): 7:09am On Jul 11, 2015
That's actually saddening. Though there are also some firms that tell you they only need HND graduates you know.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by acorntree(m): 7:10am On Jul 11, 2015
mjbaba:
Well, let me share my experience on this. First all, I'm a polytechnic graduate from Kaduna Polytechnic. My advise is that whatever u do, polytechnic or university, make the best out of it. Get out of sch with the best grade you can. It greatly increases your chances in the employment market.
Second, accept that life is all about choices. You chose to graduate from a polytechnic. Even if it was a second choice for you, it's your choice nonetheless. Even as a teenager almost 19 years ago when I started my polytechnic sojourn, I knew polys were second fiddle to universities. I gave it my best. Finished ND with Upper Crédit and HND with a Distinction. Served immediately and d next level of choices began. I turned down an offer of employment as an instructor with my school. (note, even your institution discrimates against its own products. Lol. HNDs are employed as Instructors while Uni grads, as Lecturer 2 or so. Can't remember) anyways I went for employment by a bank. I was taken alongside university grads and I experienced d discrimination. While they were started on about 73k salary, we were started on 45k. It wasn't funny but I refused to allow it weigh me down. I learnt all I could, worked well. Never made myself appear inferior in front of them and you would never catch me lamenting about the discrimination. Rather than lament, I channeled my focus on my next big choice- where to move to, where I would not be discriminated against. I started researching. Among d big banks, which of them take HNDs on the same level as BSC and I tell u, there are more of them who do that, than those who don't. I picked three - intercontinental, oceanic and Firstbank. I started applying to these banks but as God would do it, I ended up in a bank I never knew would not discriminate against my grade. Zenith bank. Because of my distinction, I was taken as a core staff and that was the end of the discrimination. It has lasted just a little over a year. Several of my friends who had upper credit also joined the likes of oceanic, first bank, union bank, wema bank, first antlantic, UBA etc without being discriminated against.
Once in, I was rapidly promoted and would later port to Oceanic bank before quiting banking when I turned 32 to set up my own company which had always been what I wanted. I currently employ 10 university graduates.
Note that in the banks I worked, on several ocassions, I was selected over university graduates on the same grade as me; to head units and just 4 years into my career, I was an Operations Manager.
So, bottomline, stop lamenting. Stay focused on achieving the best with your HND, make your choices right. Look in the direction of organisations that would not discriminate against you, obtain additional qualifications along the line and never see yourself as inferior.

Finally, finally...whether BSC or HND...don't see paid employment as the ultimate objective. You won't get rich on that ish.. it may not be now, but plan on being your own boss in future. There is nothing like it. We are blessed to be Nigerians. This country has opportunities. We have the market, we have the population..identify a product or service that is in need, provide that product or service to where it is needed and you're there!
I like your spirit. There is no discrimination without your consent. No body can make you second fiddle in life without your approval. The problem with most HND holder is that they have low self esteem. It has been programmed into there brain by there lecturers that bsc is superior to HND. So immediately after graduating they are on the look out for signs of discrimination from prospective employers and co workers.
Not knowing that what determine their success in life is hardwork, your output and not your so called paper qualification.
I have HND (2001) , been working as a technologist for close to 10yrs , in a polytechnic. I knew i can not become HOD of my department , I will be bar at com14. So I knew what im getting into when entering into HND program.
Though bsc is overated, they are still considered to be superior in any managerial position. I have seen so many of these acclaimed bsc holder who cannot write good report, teaching basic engineering subject matter is a problem. Lecturer with bsc in electronic/ electrical engineering who cannot identify a diode, capacitor. They always claim practicals are mainly for technologist to carry out for the students.
So anyone getting into HND program should know there certificate limitation. It is either you upgrade your qualification or go into self employment.

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by psalmbell: 7:14am On Jul 11, 2015
There is hardly anywhere where discrimination is not found. I am indeed a product of dicrimination and over the years I discovered God allowed it for some reasons, even among medical doctors, there are discriminations, among the people that have B.Sc, some employers still give preference to Federal univ-State univ-Private in that order. I was privileged to work in one of the banks for six solid years after I graduated over ten years ago, I discovered my salary with N.D certificate was more than what some teachers in my state with either B.ed or B.Sc were receiving, so plus or minus, because of the poverty rate in the country I quickly accepted the offer and from there I was able to accomplish some projects and solve several family problems. No knowledge is a loss, though I read chemistry, I still did well in the bank, as at the time I tendered my resignation, I was begged to stay but I declined. Polytechnics may not be scrapped but they should be empowered to issue any certificate that begins with B.. I went through world university ranking, and I saw some polytechnics, and institutes taking leads over all the universities in Nigeria(Selah!)..I think our government should pass a bill to upgrade. At the same time, I also need to remind us that the banks have taste for excellence, hence the banks that will take HND will go for candidates with Distinction and Upper credit... So, consider your grade before conclusion..I know of some of my colleagues then that had HND. God bless you all. Appreciate what you have. You are simply the best, it is better you present what you have gotten than forging what you never laboured for.
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Giitheon(m): 7:14am On Jul 11, 2015
I dont believe in dis discrimination of a tin.I believe its jst d way Nigerians tink.....jst like d colledges of Education trains her students to be Teachers,in d same way d polytechnic trains a 'suppose' engineer to be a Technologist......i have said dis before.....in d hierarchy of Engineering we have d Engr(bsc) ,Tecnologists(HND),technician(ND),craftmen and artician(ssce)......all dis ppl play a special role in the design,intruction and building of a structure.....u can't emlploy an Engineer to do a tecnician's work.....they are indispensable to oneanother.Its left to an individual to make person chioces, as to were he'd like to fall in....Good morning
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Brytawon(m): 7:20am On Jul 11, 2015
The struggle for equality is still much in the tunnel but at the end, there'll always be light.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Factory Work Na Hell On Earth. I Just Know Today / 5 Jobs That Most Nigerian Girls Are Easily Involved In / The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.