Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,523 members, 7,812,635 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience (25503 Views)

Uma Ukpai Polytechnic Massive Job Recruitment 2017 (academic & Non-academic) / Legacy Polytechnic Non Academic Recruitment (10 Positions) / The Federal Polytechnic Of Oil And Gas,Bonny Recruitment 2015 (over 50) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by ayoodeji(m): 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2015
Oooops:
This thread is dedicated to all polytechnic graduates who took the pains to go to school for 4,5 and or 6years.
Mine was that some weeks ago, I applied for a job with stanbic pensions and was told they don't take HND. .. Just BSC. I felt bad but moved on. I knew that wasn't mine and simply told my Bsc friend to apply and he was taken. Thank God the space wasn't a waste.
Please let's share our experiences and hope some day thing's will change for the better.

bro, Dichotomy or not, Bsc and HND are not the same level. Why?
This view is from the engineering perspective.
1. Entry requirements. It is tougher in a uni.
2. Different Curicullum. Bro, one thick pass the other.
3. Government funds.
4. Quality of research. You cannot compare the quality of research of a uni lecturer or student to that of an HND holder.
5. Qualification and brilliance of lecturers. how many professors do we have in a poly. Even doctors
6. Money invested (tuition, hostel fee, projects)

lest I forget, polytechnics are not established to train engineers bt craftmen, technologists, technicians, articians etc. If you want to do the work of an engineer or get the same pay. You have to find a uni.

They (HND holders) complain that they do more of the work. I agree, nurses do more of the work bt they can never be a mate to a doctor. (WHY ARE NURSES NOT COMPLAINING, BOTH OF THEM BE UNIVERSITY GRADUATES SELF)

Am I ignorant of the potency of polytechnics? NO. My simple advice. GET OND FIRST THEN GO FOR DIRECT ENTRY. (LAUTECH STUDENT)

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Sunnykaka(m): 8:32pm On Jul 11, 2015
Oooops:
This thread is dedicated to all polytechnic graduates who took the pains to go to school for 4,5 and or 6years.
Mine was that some weeks ago, I applied for a job with stanbic pensions and was told they don't take HND. .. Just BSC. I felt bad but moved on. I knew that wasn't mine and simply told my Bsc friend to apply and he was taken. Thank God the space wasn't a waste.
Please let's share our experiences and hope some day thing's will change for the better.
guy further ur education don't stop on HND bro wake up
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by Joachian: 8:32pm On Jul 11, 2015
mjbaba:
Well, let me share my experience on this. First all, I'm a polytechnic graduate from Kaduna Polytechnic. My advise is that whatever u do, polytechnic or university, make the best out of it. Get out of sch with the best grade you can. It greatly increases your chances in the employment market.
Second, accept that life is all about choices. You chose to graduate from a polytechnic. Even if it was a second choice for you, it's your choice nonetheless. Even as a teenager almost 19 years ago when I started my polytechnic sojourn, I knew polys were second fiddle to universities. I gave it my best. Finished ND with Upper Crédit and HND with a Distinction. Served immediately and d next level of choices began. I turned down an offer of employment as an instructor with my school. (note, even your institution discrimates against its own products. Lol. HNDs are employed as Instructors while Uni grads, as Lecturer 2 or so. Can't remember) anyways I went for employment by a bank. I was taken alongside university grads and I experienced d discrimination. While they were started on about 73k salary, we were started on 45k. It wasn't funny but I refused to allow it weigh me down. I learnt all I could, worked well. Never made myself appear inferior in front of them and you would never catch me lamenting about the discrimination. Rather than lament, I channeled my focus on my next big choice- where to move to, where I would not be discriminated against. I started researching. Among d big banks, which of them take HNDs on the same level as BSC and I tell u, there are more of them who do that, than those who don't. I picked three - intercontinental, oceanic and Firstbank. I started applying to these banks but as God would do it, I ended up in a bank I never knew would not discriminate against my grade. Zenith bank. Because of my distinction, I was taken as a core staff and that was the end of the discrimination. It has lasted just a little over a year. Several of my friends who had upper credit also joined the likes of oceanic, first bank, union bank, wema bank, first antlantic, UBA etc without being discriminated against.
Once in, I was rapidly promoted and would later port to Oceanic bank before quiting banking when I turned 32 to set up my own company which had always been what I wanted. I currently employ 10 university graduates.
Note that in the banks I worked, on several ocassions, I was selected over university graduates on the same grade as me; to head units and just 4 years into my career, I was an Operations Manager.
So, bottomline, stop lamenting. Stay focused on achieving the best with your HND, make your choices right. Look in the direction of organisations that would not discriminate against you, obtain additional qualifications along the line and never see yourself as inferior.

Finally, finally...whether BSC or HND...don't see paid employment as the ultimate objective. You won't get rich on that ish.. it may not be now, but plan on being your own boss in future. There is nothing like it. We are blessed to be Nigerians. This country has opportunities. We have the market, we have the population..identify a product or service that is in need, provide that product or service to where it is needed and you're there!
1000 likes for you smiley
Re: Polytechnic Graduates Share Your Victimisation/promotion Experience by laudate: 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2015
histemple:

This post actually made FP by error because we have treated this same topic extensively and exhaustively too. It is obvious some people just jump into any available school without knowing what the institution stands for. That on its own is a form of illiteracy. How can a human being call himself a graduate without understanding the purpose of his institution only to lament spending the same 4 years with a university graduate but treated differently because he attended polytechnic.
Is it not the same 4 years that an NCE holder spent? Will it not sound ridiculous for an NCE holder to lament being victimized when HND is preferred in employment. The OP should go and research the rationale behind the establishment of Monotechnics, Polytechnics, College of Education and Universities.

Apart from that, there are a number of private universities in Nigeria today (e.g. Babcock) that offer 1 year top-up programme to HND graduates, in order to give them a BSc.

So, for those who can afford to pay for that extra year of study in order to have an additional BSc. qualification, please go for it. It would broaden your chances in the job market. undecided

There are still a lot of BSc. graduates without jobs by the way, so the grass is not necessarily greener on their own side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Jobs That Most Nigerian Girls Are Easily Involved In / The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria / Bolt Driver Or Bank Teller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.