Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,442 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? (26699 Views)

7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think / Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? / Help! My Brother Have Not Being Paid Since September 2014. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by phabulous88(m): 2:57pm On May 26, 2015
You can remain there and be running your personal runs, you know what I mean - free Internet, telephone,computer, a/c chilling... Or you can talk to your boss and let him know that you feel dormant and underutilised. It's up to you.

2 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by tlops(m): 2:57pm On May 26, 2015
Adult day care!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by princeduke2013: 3:00pm On May 26, 2015
kennygee:
They are feeding you fat for sacrifice.

grin

Mehn..This got my cracked up ...Kai...Actually this happened to me during my service years & for few months after my service ..I was literally being paid for nothing & the worst be say I don't have to turn up at any particular office.its more like a work from home scenario & call up whenever there is a job for me to fix. .I had to be going to library so that people no go think say I no get job or I'm lazy ..long story sha...My advice Is improve yourself ..try to practice with the difficult duties in your office(maybe if u are an accountants) & read read read ..update yourself nd be versatile ..ask questions nd don't act dumb like u are enjoying your feeding bottle position ..Be enthusiastic & try to improve your value so that you can be indispensable

5 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by dustydee: 3:02pm On May 26, 2015
Mbkite:
What should be your response? or what are you expected to do? or what could be the implication? If your employer continue paying you, when you are actually doing nothing in the firm. Also note that he (employer) doesn't complain and has never threatened to drop you.

Matured answers please.... A fellow needs to know.
I am currently in a similar situation, Ironically, I left my former employer because I felt underutilised. Mine is largely due to the low oil prices but it is not a good feeling at all. My employer can afford to keep me because they've made money from clients by offering them my services but I also need something to keep me busy. I am currently doing some online courses (you can check cousera.org), trying to do my professional registration and if things don't improve, by God's grace I dey waka.

3 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 26, 2015
The employer is feeding traning his sacrificial lamb. Eat well, so you dnt disappoint
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by missKiffy(f): 3:02pm On May 26, 2015
Who cares, at least for the fact that am coming to the office everyday, am doing something
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by natiotan: 3:02pm On May 26, 2015
Re-title you post to "Nigerian Civil Service- What do we do?"
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Infomizer(m): 3:02pm On May 26, 2015
joseph1832:
Eventually your employer will either get fed up for paying you for doing nothing. Remember, "nothing lasts forever".

All the more reason why he ought to keep doing nothing.... grin

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by AAinEqGuinea: 3:04pm On May 26, 2015
I'm at a job like this now, except I also hate my co-workers so it's not exactly paradise. I managed to find a job where I do just about nothing but I managed to find people I don't like. I've done the unthinkable.

I'm riding it for as long as I can, while making sure this lame experience doesn't stint my professional growth.

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Mitsurugi(m): 3:06pm On May 26, 2015
kennygee:
They are feeding you fat for sacrifice.

grin

grin My thoughts exactly... but kai! You no well o! grin

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by joseph1832(m): 3:06pm On May 26, 2015
Infomizer:

All the more reason why he ought to keep doing nothing.... grin
Well I'll encourage him to start doing something somewhere so that when he gets the red card he has somewhere to pitch his tent on, he won't just be left high and dry.

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Originalsly: 3:09pm On May 26, 2015
What position did you apply for? ....and didn't they give you a job description? Even if you are not presently needed to carry any work load I suggest you find ways of assisting in your field or the firm whenever you can. Your boss may be watching to see if you would do nothing unless told to....or if you have initiative....can make things hqppen on your own.

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by deor03(m): 3:09pm On May 26, 2015
Mbkite:
What should be your response? or what are you expected to do? or what could be the implication? If your employer continue paying you, when you are actually doing nothing in the firm. Also note that he (employer) doesn't complain and has never threatened to drop you.

You have something he needs. Maybe not now, but in the future

Good resources are hard to come by, recruiting is also a difficult process. So if an employer has a good guy, they might be inclined to keep the person

Also, workers think that their salary is way bigger than their work.

Imagine a Project manager employee's CTC being N1M per month, total for the year is N12M . If he delivers a Project worth N500 with a projected Margin of 10% at 15% , within a Year , the employer makes a gain of additional N25M, than projection

So he can comfortably pay N12M to get N25m

2 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by daclint(m): 3:13pm On May 26, 2015
Maybe u should ask the Kardashians

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by loswhite(m): 3:19pm On May 26, 2015
Mbkite:

Exactly my point.
Do u sit in your house and receive the pay? If not how long do you sit without doing nothing? Is your time not precious to you? Ppl pay you 4 your time basically. So if you spend time in an office you should be paid for it even if u just sit down look.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by yakbauer: 3:20pm On May 26, 2015
Job satisfaction cannot b bought, and no amount of salary can get u that, if u feel u r bored, I think it's best u engage yourself by enrolling in an education programme that will occupy u and at d same time u get to garner credentials that will upgrade ur CV. An MBA at worst will not b bad, if u r an engineer/computer scientist. u can get certifications, register with professional bodies, etc, when u r grounded, I'm sure you'll b tempted to seek new challenges.
But for now, i advise u make good use of the free time to beef up ur CV

Cheers....

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by pinkyruledworld(m): 3:26pm On May 26, 2015
The person wey siddon my side talk say hin dy use ur 'aisiki'
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Peacefulmat: 3:32pm On May 26, 2015
hmmm....i advise u make good use your time to look for a job where u will be relevant.

i was once in dis same shoe where i was been paid for four good months for doing absolutely nothing in the office

to me, thats d worst kind of unsecured job, u can be relieved anytime without any consideration.

abeg make d best use of his internet and get yourself a challenging job where u can be relevant.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by omoiseselagba: 3:33pm On May 26, 2015
kilokeys:
kilantaa

ile ise ajibade. grin

bros abeg make i send my CV?

on a serious note.. u should help urself. responsibilities gives room for mastery. u need to b relevant anywhere u find urself
ile ise ajibade 2
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by CaptPlanet(m): 3:42pm On May 26, 2015
I believe you were hired for a ppposition. Use this time to develop your skill set and also try to make yourself useful in the organisation. When the chips are down, you might be the first to be sacrificed (God Forbid) because everyone knows u do absolutely nothing.

You may also want to start investing your free salary into other little start ups or get some free degrees online to boost your chances when there's opportunity for promotion. Goodluck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Neduzze5(m): 3:43pm On May 26, 2015
bestestgirl:
Then its time to get an online degree

Is it possible to get a degree online?
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by oshe11: 3:47pm On May 26, 2015
TVTKOKO:
On a serious note,why should you be paid doing nothing I pray you don't end up vomitting those salaries or even loosing the job. It's quite obvious that there's something fishy that your boss won't tell you about
He was recommended by a 'godfada' even wen dere was no vacancy

2 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by YoungestMuller(m): 3:48pm On May 26, 2015
KILANTA!!! Abeg dem still dey show that series?
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Mintek: 3:52pm On May 26, 2015
kilokeys:
kilantaa

ile ise ajibade. grin

bros abeg make i send my CV?

on a serious note.. u should help urself. responsibilities gives room for mastery. u need to b relevant anywhere u find urself

grin

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by focus7: 3:53pm On May 26, 2015
Your days are numbered, I suggest you begin to search for a new job and leave before you are shown the way out, cause your employer will not continue paying for no value for long time.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by ukandi1(m): 3:55pm On May 26, 2015
BasseyJ:
Maybe he's holding on to you for the future, he might have a plan that just someone with your set of skills might be able to do and instead of hiring again when he's ready, he might not mind paying you few months salary till d plan matures. How long has the person been paid for doing 'nothing '? Guess it gives you more time to perfect a skill during your time in the office doing 'nothing'.

i agree with u. However, i also know that his boss is not a father christmas and must have an ulterior motive which is why he is holding unto his asset now. My fear is d consequencies upon his refusal to do his bidding tomoro. Every free gift has a hidden price-tag except it be from God.
Let him watch his back before he is lured into a trap that would require his life

1 Like

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by JoeCutie(m): 3:56pm On May 26, 2015
He pays you for doing nothing?
Keep enjoying for one day you shall 'pay' for doing nothing (suffer for nothing's sake).

4 Likes

Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by EmekaBlue(m): 4:01pm On May 26, 2015
pay 4 xtra rounds of beer 4 ur frienz steady
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

Is it possible to get a degree online?
Of course. you could get an MBA or any others you like. just do a little research on the Internet
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by CHIGAMEZU: 4:05pm On May 26, 2015
if u ar recieving pay at ur place of wrk 4 not doing anything, that means ur job is at risk. they may just allow u 2 collect d pay 4 six months after which u will be asked 2 go that means u ar not relevant, on that note u need 2 think twice. they may not talk 2 u abt that, they will just assume there is no vacance or will to fix u.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by 4everisaac(m): 4:09pm On May 26, 2015
Mbkite:

You might have made them know about your plan of leaving the firm. Or they might have lost their trust in you.
Which ever way, it indicates that your stay in the firm is coming to an end.
Don't relax. Ask for work! Complain that you are don't have enough work to do.
Be patient if your firm's operations are a bit down. Things will return to normal.
Re: When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? by ooshinibos: 4:18pm On May 26, 2015
I will start looking for another role or contract ...but because it is Nigeria ..people like freebies or free money ..they will think it is a miracle ...some will even testify to their congregation :-) that they are blessed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / Can Someone Earning 40k Salary Survive In Abuja? / 28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.